The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on May 28, 2007, 05:22:29 am
-
Can someone please explain to me why it is douchey to wear the shirt of the band that you are seeing?
The best explanation I've gotten is that assholes at concerts will often do such a thing. But why is it douchey if you're being reasonable and wearing a shirt from the band that is performing?
-
I think it is just viewed as very obvious. Such as "everyone here is definitely down with the message of that shirt, else we would not have all paid fifty dollars to be there, make a non-redundant statement please".
I think it comes down to how people view the idea of clothes and what it means to make a statement with one's clothing.
Me, personally, I wear what's comfortable and like ladies to wear clothes that are tight and/or revealing and... beyond that, I have little opinion on such matters.
-
I think it is always douchey to make yourself a billboard.
Also, what LFM said.
Also, please don't wear a shirt of a band that will make you cool at the other bands concert. That is probably lamer than option 1.
-
Maybe people need something new to be pretentious about.
-
wait, so, now I can't wear any band's t-shirt at a concert?
-
It seems like eventually the best option with clothes is always, "Fuck it, I will wear what I want."
-
Really, the best way to go would be to put a piece of tape above the band logo and write "I hate:" on it. Then when people ask, you could be totally real about it"Yeah I hate ____, why - are they playing tonight or something?" Now that is cool.
-
It is however acceptable to wear the shirt of a band playing at a festival show. Apparently that is saying to the promoters "I paid to see this band, not the other 26"
-
I thought you were only allowed to wear your Ramones or Misfits t-shirt.
-
one day...
one day I am going to ask one of those people "what is your favorite ramones song? I love them!"
or even "which album is your favorite?"
THEY WILL NOT KNOW BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW WHO THE RAMONES ARE
I WILL WIN BECAUSE MY BLOOD PRESSURE WILL BE HIGHER UPON LOOKING AT PARIS HILTON
-
I think the notion largely goes back to "PCU" in which one fellow implores the other fellow not to "be that guy."
The bigger question here is one of relative douchery: Are you a larger douche for wearing the shirt of a band you enjoy to a collection of people who also enjoy that band, or is the larger douchery wrapped up in setting a limit on your life based on a movie from a couple dozen decades ago?
Don't let Jeremy Piven boss you around.
That said: I did not wear a Beastie Boys shirt to the Sasquatch music festival. I wore (in this order) my "What we need more of is SCIENCE" shirt, my MC Front-a-Lot shirt, and then I finished with my Social Distortion shirt.
The Social Distortion shirt is my biggest shirt oops. I wore it to a Campfire USA event. All havin' the little kids running around, while I have a picture of a chained up pin-up lady on my chest. The special ladyfriend gave me such a scold! Even now, when I think to wear it to bars I pull my hand away just before grabbing it, as though the shirt might be white-hot, or produce some kind of behavioral modification shocks. "OH NO! We dare not even gaze at the FORBIDDEN SHIRT!"
-
Sometimes I will notice that I am wearing both a t-shirt and hoodie by the same band. Showing up attired as such to a concert by this band would seem.. a little fanboyish. The only thing worse would be to have socks and underwear with that band's logo, as well.
I think wearing band shirts to concerts is actually quite interesting. You get to see just how many Gogol Bordello fans are also fans of ska, and so on; it is fun to see the correlations of different bands and genres.
-
I can never find t-shirts of bands I like. So, if I show up in a t-shirt of a band, it would be a bizarre coincidence if it were the band playing.
Basically I am constantly telling people "no, I don't' really like Rilo Kiley that much." (that is basically the only shirt I have for a band which is still in existence.)
-
I think the notion largely goes back to "PCU" in which one fellow implores the other fellow not to "be that guy."
Is this actually the origin of the phrase "don't be that guy?" I ask because it was the go-to equivalent to "do not be such as a crap dude" when I was in college, and while I've seen PCU, I wasn't sure whether it was from that movie in specific or a more generalized expression.
The Social Distortion shirt is my biggest shirt oops. I wore it to a Campfire USA event. All havin' the little kids running around, while I have a picture of a chained up pin-up lady on my chest. The special ladyfriend gave me such a scold!
Speaking as a former Campfire camper, that kind of transgressiveness was why I kept going back to Campfire camp year after year. At Campfire, we would go on real hiking trips and hear scary stories that were actually scary -- wouldn't a pin-up lady shirt only make it better?
-
Speaking as a former Campfire camper, that kind of transgressiveness was why I kept going back to Campfire camp year after year. At Campfire, we would go on real hiking trips and hear scary stories that were actually scary -- wouldn't a pin-up lady shirt only make it better?
I know, right?!
Ladysmick (Black Mambazo?) disagrees!
-
I am kind of mad...
I have spent so long saying that I don't want to be "That Guy" in a variety of situations... I had no idea that it came from a movie.
my friend said she was making me a shirt that said "That Guy" on it, but either she was joking, or she is a bum. Probably both.
-
Maybe people need something new to be pretentious about.
Paul sums it up in a nutshell.
I thought you were only allowed to wear your Ramones or Misfits t-shirt.
I rock the Misfits shirt with the original band members signatures on it.
Also, going back to work this time, I will be wearing my brand new Bad Brains (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:kifpxqw5ldse~T1) tee, because they are the only DC hardcore band that ever really mattered.
-
So, is there only song that is super-fast and awesome "Pay to Cum"? That song is... so good.
I also love "Don't Bother Me" quite a lot. Then again, the only albums I have are "Banned in DC" and "I Against I". I Against I just... doesn't really do it for me. Most of Banned in DC doesn't, either.
Maybe I'm just meant to drive around with my Minor Threat Complete Discography on repeat forever...
-
I love Minor Threat, but (a) Ian is too earnest, and (b) Minor Threat is unlikely to play in my neck of the woods any time too soon. Plus, HR sings better.
-
oh man. we just have fundamentally different needs in a song, then. Too Earnest is my favorite.
-
Also, going back to work this time, I will be wearing my brand new Bad Brains (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:kifpxqw5ldse~T1) tee, because they are the only DC hardcore band that ever really mattered.
Hmmm, I have never heard them, but I saw them this weekend. I enjoyed it.
-
oh man. we just have fundamentally different needs in a song, then. Too Earnest is my favorite.
We probably have fundamentally different needs in everything other than Kitten/Duck hardcore.
-
I always understood this maxim to mean that you should never buy a current tour/album T-shirt at the concert and immediately put it on. Following this logic, it is OK to wear T-shirts from previous albums/tours, because this means that you and the band go way back. Fans with no life measure seniority by the length of time they have been fans, after all.
Personally, I tend to wear nine dollar T-shirts that basically are a color. I usually forget I'm wearing something with a phrase on it, so I get uncomfortable when strangers stare at my belly area and then laugh.
Also I don't see how words on a shirt double its value.
-
I wear absolutely no clothing with visible labels, including band T-shirts. I used to back in the day, but not anymore. It springs from not wanting to advertise anything, but for bands, it is just that I am not really much of a fanatic about things, and my tastes in music changes pretty often. I haven't really been fervently devoted to any specific band since my teens (when fervency and fanaticism are common place). I've been to plenty of shows, but what I wear to them almost never crosses my mind.
-
I'm even a bit hesitant to wear other bands shirts at gigs, although I tend to up end up doing so. I've got a couple of tees that are actually a fan design based on The Mars Volta, and don't have the name printed on them at all, so I'd probably quite happily wear that to a TMV show. I managed to get a QotSA shirt from the tour I went to see them on when I got another shirt and hoodie from their site, but I doubt I'd wear it to a show. I've worn it to many a folk gig though!
None of this is to say that I can put my finger on what bothers me about it... I'd never really considered why before.
-
I make sure never to be wearing an Achewood shirt when I am reading the strip.
-
Does anyone remember if I've told Nabu lately that I love him?
-
Oh, I do wear my achewood shirts*, but since neither say anything about Achewood on them, I consider them to obscure to be an advertisement for anything.
(* actually one has a hole and varnish on it, the other is stained in a horrible, perminant way, hence I wear them to do yard work.)
-
Does anyone remember if I've told Nabu lately that I love him?
Will anyone be wondering when I show up on your doorstep and shower you with kisses? Because I can make that happen. It actually would be a fun thing for me to do next time I am off work.
Plane tickets are more or less free for me.
You don't mind if I sleep in your garage, or barring you garage, in your back yard or in the middle of your street?
-
Plane tickets are more or less free for me.
You don't mind if I sleep in your garage, or barring you garage, in your back yard or in the middle of your street?
Trust me, you don't want to sleep in our gararge. But there's always the back seat of my VW Beetle. Cozy!
Why are plane tickets free? All of the airlines bow down before your great lifestyle sacrifices for the sake of their fossil fuel supply?
-
Trust me, you don't want to sleep in our gararge. But there's always the back seat of my VW Beetle. Cozy!
Why are plane tickets free? All of the airlines bow down before your great lifestyle sacrifices for the sake of their fossil fuel supply?
Fuck, I let the cat out of the bag. My handlers will be here in no time. I gotta go.