The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: FeeReep on October 08, 2003, 10:57:52 am

Title: Thick Bass Steaks (10-08-03)
Post by: FeeReep on October 08, 2003, 10:57:52 am
Other than the fact that I think Onstad should have definitely gone with the alt text, very funny strip today.

I wonder how the "hep cats" are enjoying this display of hardcore showmanship? And what of Pat? WHAT OF PAT?

Can't wait to find out the answers to these questions and many more.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10082003).
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 08, 2003, 02:19:49 pm
I bet they sound kinda like The Godz (http://www.furious.com/perfect/godz.html). With keyboards.

Just a hunch.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: V-Adore on October 08, 2003, 03:23:01 pm
Utter Nitpicky Comic-Book-Guy Moment: I thought Philippe was six? I know that he was five in the Shove It, Philippe! strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05012002), but that was over a year ago, and I could swear I've seen him alluded to as being six a few other places.

Glorious strip, though. all layin' down thick bass steaks
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: jough on October 08, 2003, 03:25:33 pm
I don't think the characters ever age.  Like Calvin and Hobbes, or the Simpsons.

Heck, there was even a Simpson's Birthday episode where Bart turned ten.  Again.

Funny stuff, though.  What I don't know is if Onstad is poking fun at the usual Rock Posturing and Performance or if he's just a dork and doesn't know any better.

Either way, it brings on the funny, although I have to admit not actually laughing at today's strip like I did yesterday's.

But I only tend to laugh out loud maybe once every three months at a strip.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on October 08, 2003, 04:24:21 pm
I haven't had too many laugh-out-louds lately.  These are quality strips nonetheless.

I love how Phillipe is sticking with the Batman shirt.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: jay-ell on October 08, 2003, 04:36:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Heck, there was even a Simpson's Birthday episode where Bart turned ten.  Again.


Lisa has turned eight 3 times.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: slink on October 08, 2003, 06:12:13 pm
I loved the "maybe play that note again a bit later" line. Reminds me of my drummer making the same kind of comments when we write together.

And boy does Onstad get some good acid by the sounds of it!
Though a living sandwich is good enough.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: yahnai on October 09, 2003, 05:20:01 am
Quote from: "jough"
Funny stuff, though.  What I don't know is if Onstad is poking fun at the usual Rock Posturing and Performance or if he's just a dork and doesn't know any better.


Reminds me of that revenge of the nerds sequel.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: side_show on October 09, 2003, 02:48:19 pm
Have you guys seen "American Splendor" - cause' you're totally freakin' me out with the "Revenge of the Nerds" talk!
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 09, 2003, 06:39:25 pm
You know, this whole thing with Beef as rock band leader doesn't sit right with me.  I know he's come a long way since his "Did you know I want to kill myself" days, but I still think he's way too introverted to jump up on stage and get the crowd going.  (Unless Mingus got him stoned first.)

Of course, if I'm going to quibble, I could argue that there's no way Philippe can play the damn drums.  It's just a comic strip, after all.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: CortJstr on October 09, 2003, 06:44:17 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You know, this whole thing with Beef as rock band leader doesn't sit right with me.  I know he's come a long way since his "Did you know I want to kill myself" days, but I still think he's way too introverted to jump up on stage and get the crowd going.  (Unless Mingus got him stoned first.)

Of course, if I'm going to quibble, I could argue that there's no way Philippe can play the damn drums.  It's just a comic strip, after all.


I think Beef's in persona mode, like with Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. Since he's not Beef he can be more outgoing. Much like HS drama departments are generally made up of extreme introverts who get all crazy on stage.

I don't think Philippe can play either, hence Beef telling him to hit all the drums and just have a good time. It's the Animal school of drumming.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 09, 2003, 08:27:02 pm
Quote from: "yahnai"
Quote from: "jough"


Reminds me of that revenge of the nerds sequel.


Beef's band like totally needs that guy with the big hair spikes and the electric violin.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 09, 2003, 08:28:30 pm
That would be Timothy Busfield. The guy from 30 Something.
I think we covered this ground a few posts back...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=367
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: jough on October 09, 2003, 09:00:35 pm
Yeah, Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise is a frightfully common topic here.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: V-Adore on October 09, 2003, 09:15:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I think Beef's in persona mode, like with Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. Since he's not Beef he can be more outgoing.

Yeah, we are definitely talking about persona-Beef here. Beef seems to be able to be assertive and extroverted when he's shielded from consequences -- not just when he's in a persona (L.I.N.C.O.L.N. or the Animalicious frontman) but also in situations like his rocket theft and trip to the moon, when the others can't possibly punish him for being "transgressive."

This is why I like Beef; there's always some interesting stuff going on below the surface. Even if that means becoming Devo.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: CortJstr on October 09, 2003, 10:21:31 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is why I like Beef; there's always some interesting stuff going on below the surface. Even if that means becoming Devo.


I think actually becoming Devo is beyond the powers of even Roast Beef. He's merely Devo-esque
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 02:20:33 am
Well, okay, Devoesque. (Devosque?)

And no, of course it's not a negative. Any excuse to wear a tie, right?
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 10, 2003, 05:08:45 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That would be Timothy Busfield. The guy from 30 Something.
I think we covered this ground a few posts back...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=367


Oops!  It's a Lambda Lambda Lambda world.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 05:37:56 pm
We just call them the "Tri-Lams" around here, dude.
Title: Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 06:46:16 pm
When are the Omega Mu's coming over for the crazy party? They're hotties.