The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on June 08, 2007, 05:23:37 am

Title: Hunt's Move
Post by: linnea on June 08, 2007, 05:23:37 am
So I am curious. In your opinion, what is a Hunt's move? What constitutes a Hunt's move? It has been firmly established as canon that Hunt's is the lowest (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09282006) common (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11092005) denominator (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09252006). I would like to hear some of your thoughts on Hunt's moves that have been sidled your way. I tried the search function, so mods please delete if we've already discussed this in a Hunt's thread.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 06:01:17 am
yesterday I couldn't find the ketchup, so I went and found our collection of little ketchup packets from take-out.
they were all hunt's ketchup.
HUNTSMOVE

V's cat likes to lick its crotch in front of them. at the dinner table.
HUNTSMOVE

today my mom apparently screamed at me for about 5 minutes while I was in the basement playing my guitar at extreme volume. finally, my dad came down, at which point I turned down the volume and heard him telling me politely "dinner is ready." after living in this world for 50-some years and in this house for 10 years, she has not figured out that screaming louder does not always mean the person can hear you. Also needs must learn: once you have screamed several times without being heard, go down and talk to the person face to face. It pains me even more because the woman is brilliant. This is the one thing she just can't figure out, for some reason.
SCREAMING CONSTANTLY, HUNTSMOVE!
COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR MOM ON THE INTERNET, HUNTSMOVE!

today, after I screwed something up at work, some cool liquid landed on the back of my neck. I cannot imagine what this cool liquid on me could have been other than Human Spit. The guys there are all nice, but, what the fuck?
HOPEFULLY NOT REALLY A HUNTSMOVE BECAUSE I WOULD PREFER NOT TO HAVE BEEN SPIT ON BY MY CO-WORKER, BUT WHAT THE HELL ELSE COULD IT BE

today I got into a discussion about varieties of Porn with a nice girl I know. we agreed that Amateur/homemade porn was less ethically troubling, until such scenarios as "come on baby, let me take a picture, I won't show anyone" and "he doesn't love me, maybe he will if I do anal with him on camera" entered our minds.
and then, I realized I had just told a nice, friendly girl "personally, I prefer amateur porn."
HUNTSMOVE

but, the real huntsmove of the day:
a man I work with... my BOSS... referred to this (apparently very attractive) girl he was telling my coworker about as "a notch on [his] belt."
I dub this phrase/concept "the hunt's move."
Also one of my friend Katie's friends literally cuts notches on his belt. I guess that is worse.

typing things in all caps is becoming a habit for me lately-- hunt's move.
leaving out the ' in hunt's move-- hunt's move.
caring about the ' in hunt's move-- hunt's move.
I am getting into a "thing" here, I am going to stop before I go even more too far.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: smick on June 08, 2007, 07:45:09 am
I say you apply some goddamned E5, G#5, and C#5 chords to that, as well as your electromuff.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 08:22:39 am
yeah, it'll be hell of emo. hell of such as "*twinkly guitar arpeggio*ohmygodmymomissomeanwhycan'tshestopyelling *distortion, power chords* HUNTSMOVE! HUNTSMOVE *quiet again*"

...I am not even kidding. basically when I got home I RAN downstairs, plugged in my guitar, and started whaling (wailing?) on some Chords.
Sorry about previous post. I am in a weird mood where I am basically freaking out about many things.
I am not sure whether it makes stupid angst any better when you know that it's stupid angst and doesn't matter in the long run.

severe apologies for this whole deal. I am trying really hard to think of a good hunt's move, here.

It is a hunt's move to put a deer head on the roof of your trailer so that the Bald Eagles, proud symbol of our nation, will pick it clean for you.
It is a hunt's move, too, to be a Bald Eagle, proud symbol of our nation, and to feed on Trash, thus making Linnea refer to you as a Vulture. HAVE SOME SELF-RESPECT! Eat a Salmon (Rushdie) or something. Carry off some communist babies.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 08, 2007, 12:34:02 pm
Well now, I don't think a Hunt's move is just anything lame or stupid.  A Hunt's move is when you do something that might be otherwise cool, but you do it in such cheap or half-assed fashion that it kinda sucks.

For instance, when I first started at my company, we had awesome Christmas parties at the Marriott downtown with open bar.  Then when the tech market crashed and the company's stock price was in the shitter, they had the holiday party in a big tent in the parking lot of one of our buildings, immediately after work, no significant others invited.  Now THAT was a Hunt's move.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: side_show on June 08, 2007, 02:01:45 pm
To me, a Hunts move is have the choice between a high class and low class way of behaving, and just going for low class anyway.

Wearing way too much perfume/cologne = Hunts move

Taking up two seats on the bus because you have a bag/purse/briefcase = Hunts move

Choosing AssBar over TOUAMB = Hunts move

Talking on a cellphone in a non-fast-food restaurant = Hunts move

Repeating a complaint to a service person over and over while they are working to remedy the issue = Hunts move





Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2007, 02:51:44 pm
I can't decide if these are Hunt's moves or not but recently at work I've overheard two different people complaining because:

1) The North Face doesn't put it's logo on it's stuff big enough for people to know you're wearing something North Face.

2) A local deli puts way too much meat on their sandwiches but charges the same as Subway. And that's just misleading and wasteful because who would want that much meat? Subway has determined the ideal amount of meat and if someplace is going to give you more than that then they should at least "advertise" this via higher prices so people know not to go there.

I've got one. Claiming your landlord is responsible for overdrawing your checking account because they waited 6 days to cash your rent check which made you think you had more money than you thought.

The temp who sits next to me won't send an e-mail out without at least 3 pieces of clip art and a background graphic. I'm serious. Yesterday she spent 20 minutes composing an e-mail to 2 other temps asking where they wanted to go for lunch because she couldn't find an appropriate picture to represent Chipotle. Or spell Chipotle, actually.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 03:02:00 pm
my friend, who is very into what is Proper and Polite, somehow does not get it that it is unbearably Hunts to use his cell phone in a restaurant. he does this in NICE RESTAURANTS.
I have tried to subtly hint. I have even said "parker, turn off the goddamn phone." But his mother and his girlfriend both apparently feel it unbearable to have to leave a voice message. He is consumed by the need to answer his phone. he once answered his phone when I called when he was in the library.
Hunt's move.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: AugustWest on June 08, 2007, 03:21:25 pm

2) A local deli puts way too much meat on their sandwiches but charges the same as Subway. And that's just misleading and wasteful because who would want that much meat? Subway has determined the ideal amount of meat and if someplace is going to give you more than that then they should at least "advertise" this via higher prices so people know not to go there.


Uh, I,   ah buh....

That one just flabbergasts me.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2007, 03:35:09 pm
Uh, I,   ah buh....

That one just flabbergasts me.

You and me both, man. Subway gives you like 6 molecules of reconstituted meat-like product.

Apparently the woman doesn't actually want a sandwich she just wants a little bit of meat flavor. And the worst part was that the people she was talking to agreed with her. Although one of the women who agreed once had to throw away a Lean Cuisine because it was "too spicy." A Lean Cuisine was too spicy. Apparently she didn't notice that it had pepper in it. Because regular black pepper is too spicy. I am not making this up.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: wombat on June 08, 2007, 04:19:18 pm

1) The North Face doesn't put it's logo on it's stuff big enough for people to know you're wearing something North Face.


I don't want this one to get lost in the astonishment over the sandwich story. This one seriously makes me feel I come from another planet... but you know, it explains a lot.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 04:37:29 pm
I am a big fan of More Meat on sandwiches. Obviously our culture is Retarded at this point. Let's be honest. Retarded.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: CortJstr on June 08, 2007, 04:38:18 pm
I don't want this one to get lost in the astonishment over the sandwich story. This one seriously makes me feel I come from another planet... but you know, it explains a lot.

It gets worse. She then was saying that they should sell their logo on like a patch so that you could just put it on more affordable clothing. Because she wants everybody to know she wears North Face but can't actually afford it.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 08, 2007, 04:47:03 pm
this is my high school.

except, you know, everyone at my high school could afford hell of north face.



when in Amsterdam, our school group had to pick between The Hard Rock Cafe and the Van Gogh Museum.

I guess that Hard Rock shirt with the fake van gogh painting on the back was pretty cool to own. I mean, it said "Amsterdam" on it. That was totally worth flying across the world, school group. Thank you for helping me choose to go to the Hard Rock Cafe.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: linnea on June 08, 2007, 08:52:13 pm
It is a hunt's move to put a deer head on the roof of your trailer so that the Bald Eagles, proud symbol of our nation, will pick it clean for you.
It is a hunt's move, too, to be a Bald Eagle, proud symbol of our nation, and to feed on Trash, thus making Linnea refer to you as a Vulture. HAVE SOME SELF-RESPECT! Eat a Salmon (Rushdie) or something. Carry off some communist babies.

Heh. Tiny can.
I agree 100% that it is a total Hunt's move to tie carrion to your trailer. That is country as fuck. Also... I can't really blame the Bald Eagles for doing what they have to do to eke by. At least they eat pretty well when the salmon are running.

It is a Hunt's move to say that you only buy "really expensive name brand perfume" like Baby Phat or Juicy Couture, and then disparage someone else for wearing "no name perfume" like Serge Lutens or Creed (both of these are artisan niche parfumeurs unbeknownst to your shallow media whore self. Just shut up and turn on the television and believe whatever you're told by the advertisers).

It is a Hunt's move to make someone an offer to cause them to uproot and move, and then retract the offer based on your own greed and assholery.

It's a Hunt's move to not stop for speeding emergency vehicles with lights and sirens, but it's even more of a Hunt's move to drive behind them because, "hurr hurr hurrr, everybody else is stopped but I get to speed behind an am-bu-lance."
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: Golfhaus on June 08, 2007, 11:21:13 pm
A lead singer for a popular band decides to put out a solo album to explore new directions, and yet his songs sound exactly the same as the ones he does with his band. THAT IS A HUNT'S MOVE as far as I'm concerned.

Also: huntsmove.com is available.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: jough on June 08, 2007, 11:29:41 pm
I've got a new one this week:

It is a Hunt's Move to accept someone's job offer, and then start negotiating for more money on the day you start work.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: V-Adore on June 09, 2007, 12:37:46 am
I have come very close to having to explain the concept of a Hunt's Move to my parents. I've recently started volunteering with a domestic-violence charity in town which needs volunteers pretty badly; they have about three employees and desperately need help with semi-skilled tasks (filing, PowerPoint, etc.), which I can certainly do. I am pretty excited about this, since it lets me keep busy and is a Good, Productive Use Of My Copious Free Time(tm). Anyway, this eventually led to a conversation at the dinner table with my mother:

MY MOM: Hey, they're still advertising that bank-teller position. You should submit your resume.
ME: Mom, uh... I'm kind of easing up on the job-hunting.
MY MOM: Why?
ME: Well, because I just started volunteering, and I want to make sure I can give it a good effort there, you know? It'd just be crass not to.
MY MOM: Oh. Well, okay.

In other words, I averted a conversation on the subject of "finishing your volunteer training and then volunteering for all of a week and a half would be a Hunt's Move," but I may not be able to defer this too long.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: jough on June 09, 2007, 12:40:15 am
Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 09, 2007, 01:43:45 am
I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: linnea on June 09, 2007, 02:08:31 am
Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.

I think that most jobs require a resume, and certainly all office jobs do. If you can glance at a resume that is written in crayon, you can throw that one out pretty quickly. Or if someone puts furry shit in their "personal interest" area of the resume, you can safely throw that one away and then disinfect your hands. You should see some of the resumes that employers get. It's pretty insane.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: side_show on June 09, 2007, 03:50:32 am
Ah! That reminds me:

Submitting a headshot for an administrative position just because the administrative position is at a theatre:  total hunts move

People have done this for positions I've done the interviews for.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: linnea on June 09, 2007, 03:59:01 am
Ah! That reminds me:

Submitting a headshot for an administrative position just because the administrative position is at a theatre:  total hunts move

People have done this for positions I've done the interviews for.

What the fuck? Are they actors who are trying to break into the biz? That's a total  hunt's move.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: V-Adore on June 09, 2007, 07:39:46 am
I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.

See, when I think about "Hunt's Moves," I don't think about low-class in the sense of low socioeconomic class, I think of it in the sense of being crass or unpleasant when it's not necessary. There's a difference between being high-class and being classy.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 09, 2007, 10:20:37 am
See, when I think about "Hunt's Moves," I don't think about low-class in the sense of low socioeconomic class, I think of it in the sense of being crass or unpleasant when it's not necessary. There's a difference between being high-class and being classy.

True! But it seems like the distinction as understood in the canon is just being a little cheap - ie, having the money to enjoy something high-class, and just preferring the lower-class thing. Enjoying Hanna Barbara over Disney or Hunt's over regular steak sauce isn't exactly crass or unpleasant in my worldview, it's just not caring about the superficial trappings of being classy. It's just not liking caviar.

Not that your definition is invalid, I'm just explaining my understanding, which has more to do with consumer choices and less to do with personal behavior.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: Nabubrush on June 09, 2007, 09:46:00 pm
Do you really need to submit a resume for a bank teller position?

I mean, all love to bank tellers, but I didn't know the position required any kind of background.

I applied for, and did not get, a bank teller position after I got my degree.

Stealing a motherfucker's iPod off his desk - HUNT'S MOVE, you cocksucker. The only redeeming thing is that it had started to hang periodically. Enjoy your non-working iPod, prick.

Screaming obscenities at your wife in the middle of a graduation ceremony surrounded by 2000+ people? Perhaps not a Hunt's Move, but certainly something I did not need to be exposed to.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: pmcd9 on June 12, 2007, 04:32:31 pm
Rummys definitions of Hunts move is the correct one.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 12, 2007, 04:45:36 pm
I totally make Hunts' Moves all the time. I'm not ashamed. I don't need to be high-class to be happy.

I'm not sure the definition the comic suggests will hold up to not being ashamed of it. If you're not ashamed, you don't hide the spork in your tie and wait until the waiter looks away before you pull it out.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: jaydub on June 12, 2007, 05:24:34 pm
If you're not ashamed, you don't hide the spork in your tie...

Or glance around to make sure no one's looking when you take a "snap of the cap".
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: Nabubrush on June 16, 2007, 10:56:22 pm
So today was the day that the recycling center took hazardous materials for free - like paint, pesticides, household chemicals, used oil, that sort of stuff. We load up the back of the truck with 35 gallons of used thinner and toxic chemicals and drive over to the local elementary school (nice place to do it, btw). We get there and there's a line of about 50 cars waiting to pull in. We're slowly making our way up the line, and a truck comes up from the other direction and cuts right in front of all of us into the parking lot. Then, as we get another 20 cars up so it's almost our turn, two women in a BMW park, and one of them gets out holding a bag and a paint can, and she runs in to drop her stuff off. She comes back out, and as I'm shaking my head at her, she shouts "just park and you can run in and they'll take your stuff right away."

No shit, fuck waiting in line. I'm a white American - waiting in line is for chumps and suckers.

Again, not sure if it's a Hunt's move, but it's fucked up all the same.
Title: Re: Hunt's Move
Post by: theinevitable on June 17, 2007, 06:16:03 am
my mom does shit like that sometimes. I always get really pissed off, and she always has some excuse which she thinks is legit. I am not sure why she does this, she is a very thoughtful person, normally.