The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on June 13, 2007, 02:18:51 am

Title: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: RMJ12345 on June 13, 2007, 02:18:51 am
Love Beef's angry eyes. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06132007)

Not sure if it's the correct thread title, but it resonated the most with me.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2007, 02:35:24 am
This is precisely why I've been engaged for 4 years.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: Doc on June 13, 2007, 02:56:29 am
It is a good title, as is Cornelius' last line.

And damn but the government gets in on everything. But then I guess they use that 78 dollars so they can keep track of who we marry, and really isn't it in our own best interests that they are keeping track of every detail of our lives like this?
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: linnea on June 13, 2007, 03:07:47 am
Is this Onstad's inner groomzilla coming out? Is he still pissed about the marriage license fee?

Somebody needs to sit Beef down and explain to him about the tax breaks afforded to married couples.

Also, I like it how the "hiding behind the curtains with only the shoes showing" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12142005) has made a comeback.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: AugustWest on June 13, 2007, 03:16:34 am
As a long-time government lawyer and close observer of a state's legislative and budget process, I can say with authority and confidence that dear olde Mr. Bear has it 100% correct.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: wombat on June 13, 2007, 10:18:45 am
Absolutely the correct title. Thank you.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 13, 2007, 10:37:54 am
And finally there is some support on this board for smaller government! HEYZEUS H CRYSYT
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2007, 01:04:32 pm
I'm more bugged by the rest of the marriage gouging industry. Last year a friend tried calling a bakery twice to ask about cake prices. For some reason the time she used to the word "wedding" the prices magically increased despite the other details remaining constant.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: iron_felix on June 13, 2007, 02:47:03 pm
Also, I like it how the "hiding behind the curtains with only the shoes showing" (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12142005) has made a comeback.

Thursday:  Roast Beef runs his sword through the drapes, only to discover that the hidden fee was actually the father of the bride.  Molly goes insane with grief and drowns herself.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: wombat on June 13, 2007, 03:45:32 pm
I'm more bugged by the rest of the marriage gouging industry. Last year a friend tried calling a bakery twice to ask about cake prices. For some reason the time she used to the word "wedding" the prices magically increased despite the other details remaining constant.

I'll bet there's a perfectly good reason for this: the bakery has learned that people planning weddings are twice as hysterical and annoying than people who need a cake for any other reason, so they charge accordingly.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: Alternate on June 13, 2007, 06:30:33 pm
Thursday:  Roast Beef runs his sword through the drapes, only to discover that the hidden fee was actually the father of the bride.  Molly goes insane with grief and drowns herself.

Friday:  After Roast Beef's descent into madness and subsequent assassination, his hordes of mercenaries roam the underground looking for a new leader.  They spot the shoes under the curtain, drag the hidden fee out from behind the drapes, and then crown the fee as the new emperor of Rome.  The fee reigns prudently for many years, only to be succeeded by a sadistic fiddler.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: side_show on June 13, 2007, 06:57:22 pm
After a certain amount of time, if you are living conjugally with someone here, you are considered common law.  Then the government writes you both a letter demanding that each of you give back some of your tax refund, which you are no longer entitled to since they consider you of a higher income bracket when combined as a couple.  So the government gets a cut here if you're living with someone conjugally, whether you love them or not.  Thank you, government!
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: oball on June 14, 2007, 02:26:23 am
In that case you could always pretend to be gay, although movies have taught me that this tends to result in wacky hijinks.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: CortJstr on June 14, 2007, 01:15:17 pm
After a certain amount of time, if you are living conjugally with someone here, you are considered common law.  Then the government writes you both a letter demanding that each of you give back some of your tax refund, which you are no longer entitled to since they consider you of a higher income bracket when combined as a couple.  So the government gets a cut here if you're living with someone conjugally, whether you love them or not.  Thank you, government!

That is pretty damn crazy. I thought VA was bad for demanding back taxes on items purchased online or in states that don't charge sales tax. Seriously, they're all "hey, you owe us 5.5 cents for that Pepsi you bought in Breezewood by the PA turnpike. Oh, and like $200 for all the shit you bought on Amazon"
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: side_show on June 14, 2007, 01:19:03 pm
In that case you could always pretend to be gay, although movies have taught me that this tends to result in wacky hijinks.

Well, this also applies to gay couples, not that anyone would mistake my SO for a lady.  But really, what it comes down to is that I'd really rather the SO make the decisions about my future should I get hit in the head with an anvil, rather than my family, so you know... I suppose I should pay the government for that right.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: jaydub on June 14, 2007, 04:06:32 pm
That is pretty damn crazy. I thought VA was bad for demanding back taxes on items purchased online or in states that don't charge sales tax. Seriously, they're all "hey, you owe us 5.5 cents for that Pepsi you bought in Breezewood by the PA turnpike. Oh, and like $200 for all the shit you bought on Amazon"

Do they have border stations where uniformed Staties go through your stuff, demanding reciepts for anything that looks new?  We had those in CA for intercepting contraband oranges or passion fruit from Nebraska, but the only action that I ever saw there was the brown-shirted goons windmilling their left arm as cars crept by at 5mph.
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: Dexter on June 14, 2007, 05:17:12 pm
We had those in CA for intercepting contraband oranges
Contraband oranges?
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: jaydub on June 14, 2007, 09:06:24 pm
I kid thee not

(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/agchecktruckee.jpg)

Interstate 80 W Ag Checkpoint, Truckee, CA

(http://www.westcoastroads.com/california/images075/i-080_wb_exit_184_03.jpg)

This is a cause of consternation among those who engage in ferret-running (http://www.ferretsanonymous.com/checkpoints/checkpoints.html).
Title: Re: June 13, 2007 - The government even gets a cut when I LOVE somebody!?
Post by: oball on June 15, 2007, 01:10:31 am
Well, this also applies to gay couples, not that anyone would mistake my SO for a lady.

I meant something along the lines of "Oh we're just a lesbian and gay dude who happen to live together because we both like... rainbows.  Or unicorns.  Or whatever homosexuals are meant to like, ha ha, we're certainly not a couple don't tax us extra."