The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on June 13, 2007, 07:40:30 pm

Title: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: Asherdan on June 13, 2007, 07:40:30 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: side_show on June 13, 2007, 08:03:37 pm
Texas as Canada.  That's... extremely disturbing.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: wombat on June 13, 2007, 08:13:28 pm
This map is hard to figure out in the crowded part of the country. I couldn't figure out if I am living in Hong Kong or New Zealand without going to the list.  Fortunately it is Hong Kong.  But I will be watching out for the flocks of sheep in DC from now on.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: Nabubrush on June 13, 2007, 09:10:20 pm
I never could keep Uzbekistan and Finland straight.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: jaydub on June 13, 2007, 10:26:11 pm
You won't often find Venezuela conflated with Nebraska.  I wonder what business Nebraska does that produces as much cash as an Petroleum Exporting Country?  Life insurance?  Surely cattle feed isn't that lucrative?
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: CortJstr on June 13, 2007, 10:27:10 pm
Texas as Canada.  That's... extremely disturbing.

Sorry Smell, you know have to start wearing an extremely comic hat to cover your hideously bleached hair. Either that or Paul has to start saying Zed and watching Red Green.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: side_show on June 13, 2007, 10:42:12 pm
As disturbing as a Stetson in a Tim Horton's.

Oh wait...they do that in Calgary.

That is brilliant.  I think I'll start calling Alberta "Little Texas."  I wonder if this will annoy my friends from there?  Probably it won't, as they all left Alberta for the very reasons you'd suspect.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: jaydub on June 13, 2007, 11:08:09 pm
I think I'll start calling Alberta "Little Texas." 

Isn't this pretty true anyways?  There's a fair bit of oil coming out of Alberta these days, what with the tar sands becoming profitable with the price of oil and all.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2007, 04:10:58 am
Woot! Portugal!
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 14, 2007, 05:54:41 am
You won't often find Venezuela conflated with Nebraska.  I wonder what business Nebraska does that produces as much cash as an Petroleum Exporting Country?  Life insurance?  Surely cattle feed isn't that lucrative?

Iowa is Venezuela.

Nebraska is the Czech Republic.  And your food comes from somewhere.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: V-Adore on June 14, 2007, 06:39:57 am
Nebraska being the Czech Republic makes me snicker, given the sheer concentration of people I knew as a high-school student there who had the Eastern-European-surnames-with-no-vowels going on. Really, aside from the lack of Prague and, you know, the lack of geography, they could well be interchangeable.

(Feel free to make the same joke with the fact that Minnesota is analogous to Norway.)

I'm kickin' it from Indonesia right now, and that feels a little weird.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: linnea on June 14, 2007, 12:12:37 pm
Sweet...I'm leaving Belarus for Finland.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: smick on June 14, 2007, 12:42:00 pm
Oregonians of Isreal, are never alone.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: linnea on June 14, 2007, 02:24:16 pm
That's a good website for people who like maps, and I like maps.

The Stockholm metro map is fun.


quoted for truth as a mapmaking nerd.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: jaydub on June 14, 2007, 03:57:56 pm
Nebraska is the Czech Republic.  And your food comes from somewhere.

Indeed it does, but the corn grown in Nebraska goes to pigs and cattle, not people.  I'll definitely eat a pig or cow, but I'm pretty sure they come from Oklahoma, Texas,Tennessee, Arkansas or Alabama (though most likely California, in my case).
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 15, 2007, 07:17:28 am
"Nebraska has a large agriculture sector, and is a national leader in the production of beef, pork, corn (maize), and soybeans."

Wikipedia.


And I was just kind of being an asshole because you seemed to be making fun of Nebraska but didn't know where it was.  Also, corn grown in Nebraska that feeds Texas cattle still feeds you. (well, theoretically)
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: smick on June 15, 2007, 08:00:12 am
Texas cattle ... feeds you.

In Soviet Russia?
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: Nabubrush on June 15, 2007, 03:20:16 pm
Indeed it does, but the corn grown in Nebraska goes to pigs and cattle, not people.  I'll definitely eat a pig or cow, but I'm pretty sure they come from Oklahoma, Texas,Tennessee, Arkansas or Alabama (though most likely California, in my case).

My cows come from McDonald's, and my pigs from Denny's.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: Golfhaus on June 15, 2007, 10:36:44 pm
Oh hell yes maps. I could look at maps all day long. My mom tells people I have an incredible sense of direction (and indeed, I'm very rarely lost when I'm driving), but I think a lot of that just comes from staring at maps as much as I enjoy doing.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: linnea on June 15, 2007, 10:39:13 pm
Oh hell yes maps. I could look at maps all day long. My mom tells people I have an incredible sense of direction (and indeed, I'm very rarely lost when I'm driving), but I think a lot of that just comes from staring at maps as much as I enjoy doing.

I like makin' em as much as I like readin' em. There's something satisfying about distilling information and presenting it in a readable form. I'm hoping that I can get a job doing GIS since I already have a degree in architecture/planning and that's a related field...or maybe I'll go back to school for it. GIS is like taking a map and increasing its information capacity by a million. They're awesome. Central repository of land information, and the interface is only going to become more and more intuitive as time passes.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: Lister on June 19, 2007, 05:48:57 am
First: Tennessee = Saudi Arabia?  Holy hell, there must be a lot of corporate headquarters there.

Second: GIS is a lot more about statistics and data manipulation than most people realize.  The mapping is pretty much automatic now, as long as you can get the data in the units you want it.  At least, that's how it was when I was considering the field.  I kind of fell out of love with it when I realized that the maps were almost an afterthought.

Hell, I have a degree in Geography because I think maps are frikkin' awesome.  They basically rule.
Title: Re: No Subject Comes to Mind
Post by: jough on June 26, 2007, 12:36:21 am
Yeah, we're Mexico.

EAT IT, BITCHES