The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on June 17, 2007, 05:22:04 am

Title: Electricity
Post by: AugustWest on June 17, 2007, 05:22:04 am
electricity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TBMTui7qg8&mode=related&search=)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Lister on June 19, 2007, 06:47:27 am
(http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0603/zmachine_sandia.jpg) (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0603/zmachine_sandia_big.jpg)

Electricity.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: smick on June 19, 2007, 07:12:48 am
Electricity. E-Lec-Tricity. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=G8iahHwEfNg)





*** EDIT: Canned Trout for making the thread circuitous. ***
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 19, 2007, 07:30:40 am
electricity (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tABwYCNShp0)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 19, 2007, 01:06:28 pm
 Electricity. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdqTzpZUEcY)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Mr Trout on June 19, 2007, 01:50:48 pm
Use less  electricity. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=J02NJ6ga4MM)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: jough on June 26, 2007, 12:46:53 am
Slaves! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yBQxPUBks_U)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 26, 2007, 03:17:17 am
Theremin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn4TgYkqdi8)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: jough on June 26, 2007, 11:40:36 am
Botulism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxRZmQyXcPA)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Limmo on June 26, 2007, 04:02:38 pm
recidivism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiS9ykuDW4)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: AugustWest on June 26, 2007, 07:43:32 pm
recidivism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiS9ykuDW4)

OK then.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: AugustWest on June 26, 2007, 10:13:05 pm
Crayons (http://media.pbs.org/ramgen/mr_rogers/crayons_56k.rm)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Nabubrush on June 27, 2007, 03:55:33 am
Chickens. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twR7brgBXoE)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: jough on June 27, 2007, 04:49:33 am
Badgers? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKIAn2UlAX4)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 27, 2007, 05:42:53 am
Oh.  I just saw Weird Al live, in a private box, for free.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Nabubrush on June 27, 2007, 06:57:43 am
Badgers? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKIAn2UlAX4)

You win - close the thread.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2007, 04:42:53 pm
Oh.  I just saw Weird Al live, in a private box, for free.

What was Weird Al doing in a private box.

Is it ok to like "Weird Al" now?  I've always loved him, but I figured you guys thought he was uncool.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2007, 04:51:38 pm
What was Weird Al doing in a private box.

Is it ok to like "Weird Al" now?  I've always loved him, but I figured you guys thought he was uncool.

Paul, you just like whatever you want to like and the Good Lord will provide.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 27, 2007, 04:56:50 pm
Paul, you like what you like.  You are ahead of the cool curve.  (edit: woah AW and I were almost verbatim on this one!)

As for Weird Al.  He is so uncool.  But the way he doesn't care about not being cool is just fantastic.  It was also really great to see so many pasty white guys get their nerd on without apology.  But I'm not a fan, so it was like observing other people enjoying themselves while I was mildly entertained.  I turned my sarcasm off before I got to the show, because I didn't want to be one of those people.  Especially because the guy who got us the tickets was so into Al.  Also, we saw ladies dressed full out like Amish men, with beards and all.  They were very serious about it.  No smiles what so ever.



Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: CortJstr on June 27, 2007, 06:24:07 pm
I remember hearing Al say that every time he releases an album everybody treats it like it's a huge comeback for him. And he's like, "I didn't go anywhere to come back from. It's just my newest album, and it hasn't even been that long since the last one."
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: theinevitable on June 27, 2007, 07:59:10 pm
I hate that man. I can get no enjoyment from his stuff.

I don't know. I'm still catching up on music that is not making fun of other music. There's enough of that out there that I don't see myself listening to weird al anytime soon.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: AugustWest on June 27, 2007, 08:11:54 pm
My daughter fell in love with a Weird Al song called "Genius in France".  She made me listen to it.

I was like:  Hey, that sounds like...that's a riff from...Dang! That's a direct ripoff of...

I was getting more and more irritated until I realized it was supposed to sound just like a Frank Zappa song because it was a Zappa tribute/parody.  I liked it much better then.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: jaydub on June 27, 2007, 08:14:50 pm
Funny.  I don't see it so much as him making fun of music, as it is him making fun of the rest of us, through music.  I won't go so far as to say its genius, and there's certainly more crap in his discography than gems, but I usually enjoy what I come across.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2007, 09:13:41 pm
My daughter fell in love with a Weird Al song called "Genius in France".  She made me listen to it.

I was like:  Hey, that sounds like...that's a riff from...Dang! That's a direct ripoff of...

I was getting more and more irritated until I realized it was supposed to sound just like a Frank Zappa song because it was a Zappa tribute/parody.  I liked it much better then.

Dweezil plays on that song.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 27, 2007, 09:25:14 pm
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT060JGp9sQ) was the highlight of the evening for me.  He sang it live while the cartoon played in the background.  It is basically my SO and I down to a T.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 27, 2007, 09:28:05 pm
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT060JGp9sQ) was the highlight of the evening for me.  He sang it live while the cartoon played in the background.  It is basically my SO and I down to a T.

I knew before clicking what it had to be.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Lister on June 28, 2007, 05:58:31 am
Weird Al's stuff ranges from average to genius, but he's one of the few honest musicians left out there.  He writes what he likes and hasn't changed a thing to please anyone, ever.  He doesn't make the millions that his parody targets do, but he makes a ton of money and he knows he has a great life doing what he loves.

Plus, UHF is one of my favorite movies ever.  Completely timeless.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 06:34:12 am
The UHF soundtrack is one of his best albums. I knew Spatula City and Ghandi II by heart before I ever saw the picture.  The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota is also on there.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: smick on June 28, 2007, 07:28:17 am
My ladyfriend would leave me if Al made himself available to her.

When last we saw him, she was in the front row.  He came down and sang part of "Wanna B Ur Lovr" to her.   How's a pasty phone geek to compete with that?

She even does stuff like this (http://raindog.net/ljimages/wedding.jpg) in her spare time.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2007, 04:40:29 pm
Remind her that he's probably impossible to beat in an argument - all deflecting good points with humor and able to skewer her weaknesses with passive aggressive barbs that leave her enervated.  All women appreciate an easy mark, which is the secret to long marriages.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 28, 2007, 06:13:13 pm
My ladyfriend would leave me if Al made himself available to her.

When last we saw him, she was in the front row.  He came down and sang part of "Wanna B Ur Lovr" to her.   How's a pasty phone geek to compete with that?

She even does stuff like this (http://raindog.net/ljimages/wedding.jpg) in her spare time.

He did the same thing at our show... all gyrating on the ladies.  And everyone was so calm about it... all getting out of his way so he could pass through the crowd unencumbered, and just, you know... sitting there watching, not getting up and screaming or grabbing at him.  People at this concert were the most tame bunch I've ever seen.

Also, what your lady did to that photo is awesome.  Also she is pretty.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: theinevitable on June 28, 2007, 07:01:31 pm
no creepy parody-rocker better get all up ons with my lady.

...not that I have one?
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 28, 2007, 07:35:28 pm
Aw that's cute Dan, you feel threatened by "Weird Al."
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: side_show on June 28, 2007, 07:40:45 pm
It's like being afriad of mashed potatoes.

Also:  Electricity, America, etc. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKHZ9EwmIE)
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Golfhaus on June 29, 2007, 02:15:42 am
I loves me some Weird Al. The fact that apparently the VH1 Behind The Music people had to really blow the commercial failure of UHF out of proportion to get SOME kind of story to tell because he's so squeaky clean just makes me laugh.

And he doesn't have to worry about Coolio popping a cap in his ass anymore, either.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Nabubrush on June 29, 2007, 04:37:58 pm
That Coolio thing always made me laugh. Umm, Coolio? Don't get all twitchy about this - it turns out you did not write that song.

I love UHF.

I was watching a program on tattoos on Discovery or something quite some time ago, and there was a guy on there who had several Weird Al tattoos. Like seven or ten or something. Al was pretty blasé about it, too.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2007, 08:01:10 pm
I loves me some Weird Al. The fact that apparently the VH1 Behind The Music people had to really blow the commercial failure of UHF out of proportion to get SOME kind of story to tell because he's so squeaky clean just makes me laugh.

And he doesn't have to worry about Coolio popping a cap in his ass anymore, either.

Didn't the VH1 thing basically say that Coolio gave his permission (which Al isn't even legally require to get, he's just nice) in private, but claims he didn't in public for the sake of his image?
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Nabubrush on June 29, 2007, 08:05:59 pm
Didn't the VH1 thing basically say that Coolio gave his permission (which Al isn't even legally require to get, he's just nice)

He probably should have just gotten Stevie's permission and blown the whole Coolio thing off.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Golfhaus on June 30, 2007, 02:35:44 pm
Didn't the VH1 thing basically say that Coolio gave his permission (which Al isn't even legally require to get, he's just nice) in private, but claims he didn't in public for the sake of his image?

I think what happened is that Al got permission from Coolio's people, but not from Coolio himself. He has a policy now of speaking to each artist personally. Which kinda shows how {nice|paranoid} he is - he has basically a constitutionally protected right to parody anyone he damn well pleases, but takes the time to make sure that people are cool with it.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on June 30, 2007, 06:09:17 pm
Al is so big now that artist are sending their albums to him with a note saying please.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 02, 2007, 12:54:44 pm
I love the story about him asking Kurt Cobain if he could do "Smells Like Team Spirit."  Cobain apparently paused, then asked, "Is it going to be about food?"
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: theinevitable on July 02, 2007, 05:34:34 pm
apparently after he was asked, Cobain declared it one of the proudest moments of his life.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on July 02, 2007, 05:59:35 pm
Your hero loved him, why can't you?
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: theinevitable on July 03, 2007, 04:21:23 am
yeah, which reminds me... heroin. wow. what a rush.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: pmcd9 on July 03, 2007, 05:22:55 am
Don't knock it until you've tried it.
Title: Re: Electricity
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2007, 02:04:12 pm
Your hero loved him, why can't you?
That's a hell of a post right there. Quality work, Paul.