The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jaydub on June 24, 2007, 05:09:25 am

Title: Crimes against nature
Post by: jaydub on June 24, 2007, 05:09:25 am
I mean, who sets out to breed these things (http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/uglydogvote07.shtml)?

I hope Wombat doesn't de-can me for this abomination
(http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/images/ralph_best.jpg)

That would be a pug-mix.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2007, 05:44:37 am
I mean, who sets out to breed these things (http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/uglydogvote07.shtml)?

I hope Wombat doesn't de-can me for this abomination
(http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/images/ralph_best.jpg)

That would be a pug-mix.

Pug Mix.  That sounds like something you snack on at a party.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: linnea on June 24, 2007, 06:41:31 am
my dad & stepmom are visiting (ahh, finally Lenny jumped off my lap and I can type appropriately) and they were shocked when I said that I wanted to get two Pugs. Milan and Lennybruce will hopefully be with me for a loooong time (they're only 4, so hopefully I'll have them at least another 11 years)...but I would love to get two pugs.

My dad said they are gross, and I said, "Au contraire! They are hella cute!" His neighbor has a pug named Monty, and my pa secretly calls him "Monty the Manatee" because he's so horribly overfed.

I am not sure what I would name them. I would have to come up with a hilarious combo, but all I can think of is "Bacon & Egg" or "Paris & Nicole".

Omba's have nice names, Rose and Lily (why is it that people I meet with my name are always pets??). If I got a pair o' pugs, what would you party people vote to name them?
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: V-Adore on June 24, 2007, 07:13:55 am
If I got a pair of pugs, I would almost certainly name them Merry and Pippin, but I am a nerd.

Speaking of crimes against nature, my uncle got another pair of hairless cats. Luckily, I think they are two dude cats, so he's not going back into breeding, but oh my christ, hairless kittens look like someone fed the Mogwai after midnight. The fact that they seem incapable of expressions not composed of sheer malice does not help. I imagine them thinking "WE WERE NOT MEANT TO BE, T-REX" all the time.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 24, 2007, 09:47:10 am
Lenny and Carl.

Though when I have the living space to own cats again, I shall name them all after members of the 1986 Mets.

"The author lives in suburban Los Angeles with his girlfriend Adrian and their six cats, Mookie Nails Straw Hojo Gary and Backman."
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: AlohaDawg on June 24, 2007, 10:16:50 am
I theenk maybe "Salsa" and "Gazpacho".

Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: wombat on June 24, 2007, 01:28:39 pm
What makes that dog hideous is not the pug parts, but that that the other part of the mix is Chinese Crested.  Normal Chinese Cresteds don't usually look so bad, but man, when they go wrong, they really go wrong.

V, I had a cat named Pippin once, but I was 13 years old, so I don't think that helps get you off the nerdiness hook exactly. And linnea, we have both cats and pugs, so what are you waiting for? 

Pugs remind me of dumplings. Someone ought to have pugs named Shu Mai and Har Gao, or Pierogi and Gnocchi. or Gyoza and Kreplach...
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2007, 04:03:16 pm
We had a Springer Spaniel named Galadriel (Gally) when I was a teenager.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2007, 04:58:18 pm
We had a Springer Spaniel named Galadriel (Gally) when I was a teenager.

For the win.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: theinevitable on June 24, 2007, 05:31:22 pm
my dog/cats are Jupiter, Cleopatra, and Julius.
Previous cats: Luna, Apollo

so. there's that.
My family voted on names. In every case but Jupiter, the winning name was something I suggested, and then immediately retracted as "lame."
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 24, 2007, 06:00:30 pm
If I got a pair of pugs, I would almost certainly name them Merry and Pippin, but I am a nerd.

V, I had a cat named Pippin once, but I was 13 years old, so I don't think that helps get you off the nerdiness hook exactly. And linnea, we have both cats and pugs, so what are you waiting for? 

My girlfriend's family cat is named Pippin, and they're mostly reasonably well-adjusted. Though I guess he was named some time ago; he is very old. He also has no tail, which makes him extra-cute.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: V-Adore on June 24, 2007, 07:45:57 pm
I finally actually read that Ugliest Dog site linked in the OP, and damn, that is a lot of Chinese Cresteds. Who breeds those things?

As for cat names, we haven't generally tended to go too dorky, but my parents had this tendency to let me name the cat when I was a little kid, which led to some bad names -- like the first cat we got, Diddle (my attempt to pronounce "kitty" at less than a year old).
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2007, 08:29:39 pm
I finally actually read that Ugliest Dog site linked in the OP, and damn, that is a lot of Chinese Cresteds. Who breeds those things?

As for cat names, we haven't generally tended to go too dorky, but my parents had this tendency to let me name the cat when I was a little kid, which led to some bad names -- like the first cat we got, Diddle (my attempt to pronounce "kitty" at less than a year old).

Ah diddle the cat.  It just rolls off the tongue.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: Nabubrush on June 24, 2007, 08:47:02 pm
Someone ought to have pugs named . . . Gyoza and Kreplach.

That would rule.

My cats are named Bob(cat) and Josie (the Pussycat). I swear on my grandmother's grave, I did not realize the connections there until after we named them. Actually, the lady's name is Josephine, but we call her Pooh. The gentleman's name is Moshi, after Bill "Moshi" Mosienko. We just call him Bob because of the Mitchell brothers.
Title: Re: Crimes against nature
Post by: jaydub on June 24, 2007, 11:59:49 pm
You may certainly use the pair of pug names we were considering, "Porky & Petunia".  We ended up with our beautiful American Eskimo instead (female) so we only used "Petunia".  I was also petitioning for "Football" and "Soccer" (for a pair-o-pugs).