The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on October 10, 2003, 05:47:36 am

Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9 (10-09-03)
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 10, 2003, 05:47:36 am
So are we to assume that Pat had an accelerated or irregular heartbeat? Not sure they would use the paddles for either of those...

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10092003).
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 05:50:16 am
I think they gave him the ghetto equiv of electroshock therapy.

So Pat is back to be a prick.  We wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe he's just pissed that I left him out of the forum logo. ;)
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: Noah on October 10, 2003, 06:18:06 am
...what the hell? Pubic hair? In a Pepsi can? Chris Onstad is going for some rough chuckles, lately.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 06:23:45 am
I think that was a Clarence Thomas reference.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2003, 06:40:50 am
Do other Achewood strips have the word END in the lower right corner of the last frame?
Title: Re: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: slink on October 10, 2003, 06:42:09 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
So are we to assume that Pat had an accelerated or irregular heartbeat? Not sure they would use the paddles for either of those...


Maybe Dr. Andretti just wanted to fuck with Pat a little. I mean he's gotten a lot of work because of him. Maybe he got called away from a realy good date when beef got shot or something and took a little revenge.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: starlight on October 10, 2003, 07:42:18 am
I hope 'end' doesn't mean the band storyline is over, too!  :O

I s'pose jackass Pat being back is okay though :D
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 12:57:21 pm
I dunno, maybe it's my imagination, but between the "End" and Friday's primer I get the feeling Onstad's in a bad mood again like on the August 1st strip.

As for the shock, I think it's like when Fred or Garfield got hit on the head and change personalities, then he'd get hit again and change to another, more normal one. So finally they'd have to bonk him in a controlled manner to bring back normalcy.

Or maybe the two shocks just fucked up Pat's heartbeat.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 01:56:45 pm
This is an entirely new Pat, methinks: the Extremely Vocal Cussing Prick instead of the Neatnik Obsessive Prick. How many Pats will the 'stad give us? ... probably not very many, given that he seems to have pulled a Billy-Budd-esque ending to the arc, but hey.

I hope he's not angry at us or anything.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:06:16 pm
How could Onstad possibly be angry with us, since he's not here and all...
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: palm trees on October 10, 2003, 03:46:02 pm
WE HAVE ANGERED THE GREAT ONSTAD AND NOW HE WILL PUINISH US
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: ferocious j on October 10, 2003, 06:18:07 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
...what the hell? Pubic hair? In a Pepsi can?

The look of great care/concentration on Ray's face in the third panel as he peers into the can is a treat all on its own.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 06:47:21 pm
Not to mention that he took it into Pat's room with him.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 10, 2003, 06:58:46 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
How could Onstad possibly be angry with us, since he's not here and all...


He is aware of the forum.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 07:06:46 pm
Ah, but surely he disdains the very idea of walking amongst us mere mortals...
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2003, 09:26:34 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
How could Onstad possibly be angry with us, since he's not here and all...


He is aware of the forum.


Aw, Christ, not this again. I hear this pronouncement as it comes from a man in a robe with gnarled hands. I can't see his face and the voice is deep and guttural, like it came from a mouldering grave...monotone...

Heeee is awaaaaare of the forum. As was foretooooold in the propheceeey.

He should be aware of it. But if it interferes with his worldview or his art, (and I OPINE that the last forum meltdown demonstrates that it does) he should leave it the hell alone the way I leave Heroin alone because I know it will MESS ME UP.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 09:38:35 pm
It's all part of Jough's eeeeevil plan.  He's getting us all hooked on stimulating, thought-provoking posts and when we least expect it -- BANG!!! He's gonna jack up the prices to where we'll have to go out and boost honest folks' TV's and blenders.

Help me!  I gotta get clean.  I don't wanna be a message board junkie anymore!  That damn Jough and his sinister plots.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 10:17:13 pm
It's true, it's all painfully true.

Actually, Onstad and I were in on this sinister plan from the get-go.

Dance, puppets, dance!
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: andalucia on October 10, 2003, 10:46:04 pm
Really, if there were a message board about you, how could you not read it?
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 11:01:36 pm
Maybe the 'stad reads this. Maybe he does not. For all we know, this entire thing is a sordid result of an e-mail correspondence with "Ponce De Leon," and the next Primer strip is going to be a full exegesis of how Ray and Beef are not dogs, really, honest to God.

But if it was foretold in THEEEEE PROPHECY, far be it from me to question.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 11:22:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Maybe the 'stad reads this. Maybe he does not. For all we know, this entire thing is a sordid result of an e-mail correspondence with "Ponce De Leon," and the next Primer strip is going to be a full exegesis of how Ray and Beef are not dogs, really, honest to God.

But if it was foretold in THEEEEE PROPHECY, far be it from me to question.


Also, how to pronounce Philippe.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 11:45:23 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's true, it's all painfully true.

Actually, Onstad and I were in on this sinister plan from the get-go.

Dance, puppets, dance!


Damn you, Jough!  You and your accursed unpronouncable name!
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 11, 2003, 04:29:11 am
Fill Eep.

Sheesh.

Oh, and Jough is pronounced "Raymond Luxuryacht".

Ten points for anyone who gets that reference.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: wombat on October 11, 2003, 10:29:01 am
I thought it was pronounced Throat-Warbler Mangrove.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: Mite on October 11, 2003, 03:28:15 pm
Stop that! This is far too silly!
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2003, 08:33:04 pm
Thank you, this has been the monthly "Raymond Luxury-yacht/Throatwarbler Mangrove" joke.  This monthly presentation has been brought to you by a generous grant from our glowering administrator Jough and the venerable absurdists of Monty Python.  Thanks for reading!
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 12, 2003, 04:40:56 am
Actually, it's a Hitchhiker's reference, but okay.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: AugustWest on October 12, 2003, 04:49:00 am
Brother Jough, I ain't disputin' you exactly, but can you give me a page number on that? Cause I swear I remember Graham Chapman swilling Raymond Luxury-Yacht around his sinuses.

Lord knows I could be wrong.  It'd only be about the trillionth time.  And false memory certainly isn't a new phenomenon.  And with my variously addled walnut I suppose it's more likely than not.  But damn, I coulda sworn it was a Python sketch.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: Mite on October 12, 2003, 06:00:40 am
Sorry Jough, it's definitely Python.
Cite. (http://www.geocities.com/johangambolputy/Python_Character.html)
Note: My internet crush on you has diminished only slightly for the error.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: slink on October 12, 2003, 06:58:29 am
Well, despite my being fairly sure it wasn't Hitchhiker's (since I have been obsessed with it from the earliest age and thus know it far, far too well) it is forgivable to confuse them, what with Adams and Chapman having lived together and written some stuff. Thus their styles can somewhat compare.
Man I need sleep.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 12, 2003, 08:17:22 am
It may have been in a Python sketch, but it was definitely how you pronounced "Zaphod Beeblebrox" (ray-mond-lux-ur-eee-ya-ot) in either the Hitchhiker's TV show or the radio series.

It's been a long time.  But I wasn't at all aware of that Python sketch - so maybe it's a cross-reference, an in-joke, although I don't know who was zooming whom there.

Very interesting.


Now I'm going to stay up all night listening to the radio show to find the episode and time-code.  Don't wait up.  I will restore the full power of all internet crushes.  Honour demands it.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: slink on October 12, 2003, 09:26:50 am
Quote from: "jough"

Now I'm going to stay up all night listening to the radio show to find the episode and time-code.  Don't wait up.  I will restore the full power of all internet crushes.  Honour demands it.


It's going to be amusing when he doesn't find it.
Sorry man...
Well, since I know it too well...

"This is the story of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Perhaps the most remarkable, certainly the most succesful book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor..."

Aaaaah Belgium to that.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: wombat on October 12, 2003, 10:32:22 am
It's 6.30 am and Jough hasn't reported back yet.

I'm starting to worry.  Does anyone know how to run the messageboard if he has committed harakiri?
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: slink on October 12, 2003, 11:32:43 am
Well, the entire h2g2 radio series is 6 hours. So we got to give him some time.
And as for running it, well, we can declare mob rule or something.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: V-Adore on October 12, 2003, 04:18:28 pm
Do we even have enough people to form a proper mob, though?

Never mind; I'm sure we just need to make a little more effort. I'll get the pitchforks.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: Mite on October 12, 2003, 05:18:11 pm
Ooh! I'll whip up some torches! I know that girl scout handbook is around here somewhere...
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: slink on October 12, 2003, 06:43:33 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Ooh! I'll whip up some torches! I know that girl scout handbook is around here somewhere...


OOooooh, I'll get to work on the cookies!
Damn. I need a little practice at this mob stuff.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2003, 07:25:18 pm
That's quite enough of that.  

Yes, children.  Momma's home.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 12:47:47 am
Oh, I decided to watch Truffauts "Adventures of Antoine Doinel" DVD boxed set instead.  I got stuck on "The 400 Blows" though because it's so dang good.

But one of these days I'll get around to listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide radio shows again.  Maybe someone could find a link to a transcription of the entire show and save me some time.
Title: Meanwhile, at the Hospital - Rocktober 9.
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 12:49:06 am
P.S. Oh yeah, I'm only in charge as much as I have the "flying fist of death" but really I answer to JL.  She's the head muhfugga here.

Or so I tell her. ;)