The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Dubious on October 10, 2003, 01:41:28 pm

Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend (10-10-03)
Post by: Dubious on October 10, 2003, 01:41:28 pm
I view today's "Primer" as a dubious trend.  :disgusted: I couldn't care less about the "mechanics" of Achewood World. We're not reading the Handbook to the Marvel Universe -- they're talking animals, for cryin' out loud! Anthropomorphism is a long-accepted style of cartooning. Just keep it funny, I say.

On the other hand, if a series of strips like this allows more time to develop more funny stuff in the future, I guess I can live with it.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102003).
Title: Re: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 10, 2003, 01:45:12 pm
Quote from: "Dubious"
I view today's "Primer" as a dubious trend.  :disgusted: I couldn't care less about the "mechanics" of Achewood World.


Agreed. "The Underground" is "teh suck". Don't need it, don't want it, don't like it. But the whole concept stays in the deep background mostly, so no biggie.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 01:58:32 pm
I suspect this is a snide retort to those of us who, over e-mail or this board or whatever, ask stupid questions about "The Underground" and world continuity and such shit. We may well deserve what we're getting.

That said, does anybody else find this strip visually gorgeous? Or is it just me?
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:05:12 pm
I'm with you V, I took it as Onstad's response to the "How many Ray's can dance on the head of a pin?" discussions that go on around here sometimes.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: jough on October 10, 2003, 03:12:58 pm
Gee, I hope "Dubious" wasn't a regular here who signed up for a new account...

In any case, I thought today's "Primer" was funny.  Explaining something that needn't be explained in one of those grade school diagrams is great.

And I like the idea of stuffed animals and house cats having the strength to lift manhole covers.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: revdj on October 10, 2003, 03:57:26 pm
What I want to know is... how do stuffed animals talk?
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 04:35:17 pm
Indeed. Both boards have been going on about this (myself included) ever since Ray's contract/Subway etc. I get the feeling that this strip is pointed at us.

He's like fine, if you care so much I'll stop doing funny strips for a couple days and lay down everything in expostion and you can be happy. It reminds me of the August 1, 03 "people are tired of you Ray" strip.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2003, 04:53:46 pm
Odd.  Just...odd.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: arlucasinc on October 10, 2003, 06:04:59 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
That said, does anybody else find this strip visually gorgeous? Or is it just me?


I love this strip. The layout is awesome. I have no idea what people are complaining about. Geez.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: slink on October 10, 2003, 06:18:26 pm
Yea, I'm willing to let him go on a behind the scenes of Achewood like this if we keep getting work like that.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 06:49:07 pm
I'm not knocking the strip, it's really cool. I especially like when Ray's half in the manhole holding himself up.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: yahnai on October 10, 2003, 06:54:02 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Yea, I'm willing to let him go on a behind the scenes of Achewood like this if we keep getting work like that.


meh.  he's passing off his "variety hour" and "serializer" miscellany as a strip.  it's weak.  i for one am not interested in more clarification monday.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: slink on October 10, 2003, 07:31:01 pm
Quote from: "yahnai"

meh.  he's passing off his "variety hour" and "serializer" miscellany as a strip.  it's weak.  i for one am not interested in more clarification monday.


It's an opinion.
I was thinking of all the unjustness in that statement, and then realised chances are so will others. But it's a valid opinion stated in the same way as all the positive ones are.
doo doo doo.
I need to find something else to do so bad!
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 09:09:08 pm
Honestly? The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to just let Onstad ride. Maybe this will actually clarify things for the armchair xenologists at home (read: "me").
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2003, 09:21:46 pm
He's going to have these ideas and then he is going to draw these pictures and then he is going to put them up.

Period.

Then all of us, we sit around and analyze it like we're all NSA agents looking at a satellite photo of North Korea.

No one is right. No one is wrong. We are who/what we are. We think what we think. We write what we write. It's all good and it's all shit. Simultaneously.

I love you all.
I bid you peace.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: Choop on October 10, 2003, 09:22:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
armchair xenologists


Oh, V, if you weren't our last hope for stock titles, I'd love to see that as yours.

We gotta get some other big posters with stock titles ASAP!

edit for on-topic-ness
I liked the strip loads. I'm not one to complain about a strip. Variety Hour? Yeah, I complained, especially if it meant no strip for the day. No one's mentioned the fact (to my recollection) that this isn't even information we couldn't have discerned on our own. A more important question about the Underground, especially now that we've been told what we have, is how did Beef and Ray get the car down there?
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2003, 09:27:40 pm
umm...because they are cartoons and not subject to the realities of time and space?
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2003, 10:04:20 pm
He had mentioned the Underground before on the old board before there was ever any mention of it in the strip.

I'm desperately trying not to turn into one of the alt.simpsons geeks who think minor background jokes are proof that the writers read their posts. It's really hard to to fight the thoughts though. You guys are my support group.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: slink on October 10, 2003, 10:30:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I'm desperately trying not to turn into one of the alt.simpsons geeks who think minor background jokes are proof that the writers read their posts. It's really hard to to fight the thoughts though. You guys are my support group.


I'm absolutely with V on that one. Letting O' ride with it. I just want him to go on doing it and I'll follow on and enjoy it when I do, and keep quiet (moderately, and if I don't it's just me saying so, not hassling anyone) when I don't.

And CortJstr, surely we turned into alt.achewood a looooong time ago! Hell the fact this board was set up within like 2 hours or something similarly scary when the word came proves it.
And the fact that we constantly know where to go to find the old strips that show something linked to the new ones is more proof.
Gotta love it!

:delicious:
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 10:59:46 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
armchair xenologists


Oh, V, if you weren't our last hope for stock titles, I'd love to see that as yours.

I'll have to see how fast I can get to 1000 (or whatever the arbitrary stock cutoff is) so that I can finally cash this beast in. AlohaDawg's doin' fine on this "post count" thing, too.

Anyway... I always presumed that they drove the car in the 'human' parts of the world, before taking it and going to Underground points (manhole covers &c). Consider the conversation between Ray and Beef about what happens if a human cop pulls them over -- obviously the car's not going entirely into the Underground.

Yes, I'm a nitpicker. But I like this. Live and let live, I say.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: Mite on October 11, 2003, 01:24:37 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
We gotta get some other big posters with stock titles ASAP!

I'm trying! Do you know how hard it is to break out of a lifetime of lurking?

I have to admit, I was nervous when I first saw today's strip. But at least the format is interesting (i.e. it ain't a straight 4-8-whatever panel comic).  And somehow, the phrasing and voice really remind me of Everything is Illuminated. Of course, since I'm reading it right now, a lot of things remind me of Everything is Illuminated.

'Twill be interesting to see where this goes.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: jough on October 11, 2003, 04:32:34 am
Actually, I think 1250 is the last rank - well, except for the special rank I set up when one goes well beyond the realm of reason and into the oddly obsessive - it's a high number and a high rank that I don't expect anyone to ever achieve.

Although I post on DVDTalk.com and people there have posts into the tens of thousands.  Scary.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: Choop on October 11, 2003, 02:59:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
&c


Still my favorite.
Title: Oct. 10 Primer - A Dubious trend
Post by: slink on October 11, 2003, 05:28:09 pm
Just reminded me to start using &c. again. Always knew of it but fell in love with it reading Snow Crash.