The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on July 03, 2007, 06:28:52 pm

Title: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Asherdan on July 03, 2007, 06:28:52 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: theinevitable on July 03, 2007, 06:42:40 pm
I am sad, because my good friend, who I haven't seen in... 2 years... called and said she wants to go on a road trip for the 4th, and that Charlotte is only 5 or 6 hours away from Williamsburg... but my parents are out of town and my grandma is here, so, no go. I will probably hang out with my best friend, play video games, drive around randomly...

Golfhaus, do you know of any good things going on tomorrow night? I think there might be fireworks at Freedom Park, which is my favorite place ever...
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: jaydub on July 03, 2007, 06:57:34 pm
I plan to finish planting in my garden and go on a picnic with as many of the females in my house as will come.  This probably includes the wife, kid and dog - we'll see about the niece.  I'll need to get rid of the dry weeds around my patio so the neighborhood doesn't erupt in a fireball come sunset.

My favourite 4th so far has been one I spent at my Mom's when she lived in Nebraska for a while.  They had rockets, mortars, cherry bombs and all kinds of honest-to-god stuff that I only saw in feverish dreams in California.  We dropped at least $100 and my brothers and I had literally hours of fun that night.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Gimpson on July 03, 2007, 07:03:20 pm
Racquetball in the morning
Work on a website
Bike over to fiancee's parents house to smoke ribs
Eat said ribs, drink beer

That should be about it. 
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: wombat on July 03, 2007, 07:05:20 pm
Volunteering at the zoo in the morning and then I guess grilling something for dinner - there's a law that you have to grill things on the 4th, isn't there?
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 03, 2007, 08:09:53 pm
Load up the kids and head to RFK Stadium to see the Nationals take an ass-whoopin' from the Chicago Cubs, and hopefully get a George Washington bobblehead.

Come home and cook some meat on the grill. 

Try to get the kids to bed, then sit out front and watch our crazy-ass neighbors blow shit up. (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2005_07.htm#000471)
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: CortJstr on July 03, 2007, 08:13:07 pm
I have to go visit my folks for lunch tomorrow because the grandmother who doesn't live with them is in town. Also an aunt and cousin that I don't particularly like. This means that to get home I'll have to drive towards DC in the evening. This is going to suck.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Nabubrush on July 03, 2007, 08:46:40 pm
Hmm, hadn't thought about it. What to do, what to do . . .

I think I'll get up at 5:00 am and get in about 15 hours of planet-raping enjoyment, then crawl into bed and sleep the sleep of the Damned.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: wombat on July 03, 2007, 08:49:52 pm
That Nabu, he really knows how to have a good time.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: V-Adore on July 03, 2007, 08:50:35 pm
My current plans:

Volunteer in the morning
Help father finish and assemble display cases for knife collection
Play with the cats
Grill some stuff
Once the sun's set, set off some fireworks
Find the skittish cat and reassure him we're not being bombed
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: linnea on July 03, 2007, 10:32:40 pm
Hmm...one of my good friends, Nick, is in Butte Montana so I doubt that i'll get to go over to his house for a raucous BBQ. Sigh. I wanted to spend it with my best friend Jennifer...but she and her husband just got pregnant and so I guess they're going to her parents' to tell everybody.

Wake up early and go for a walk, or else sleep in late.
Play with the kitties.
Call some doggies from small times, see if they want to BBQ.
Maybe smoke a Nat Sherman with my sister. Yeah, we're bad like that. I normally hate smoking, but a Fantasia or Black&Gold once or twice a year along with some scotch on the rocks really hits the spot.
Maybe take the light rail downtown to see what's happening. I bet there's a music festival or something cool like that.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 04, 2007, 05:12:34 am
I am sad, because my good friend, who I haven't seen in... 2 years... called and said she wants to go on a road trip for the 4th, and that Charlotte is only 5 or 6 hours away from Williamsburg... but my parents are out of town and my grandma is here, so, no go. I will probably hang out with my best friend, play video games, drive around randomly...

Golfhaus, do you know of any good things going on tomorrow night? I think there might be fireworks at Freedom Park, which is my favorite place ever...

I should be asking you that. My wife went to Pennsylvania to spend the 4th with her extended family (we were just there for Jeff's funeral, but this is the big family event). I couldn't go, but she really wanted to go, so I sent her off without me.

Interestingly, I almost went back to the Newport News/Williamsburg area for lunch tomorrow, but was worried about the dogs.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: theinevitable on July 04, 2007, 07:19:14 am
ok, I am informed that my friend's girlfriend told him to invite me to come along with them to dinner, and he thought he had already told me. So I guess I'm doing that, then going to some sort of fireworks type thing, probably.

she seemed really sad about not getting to see me, so, that's a plus.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: side_show on July 04, 2007, 07:51:19 am
Having just celebrated Canada Day, I just want to pause and ask... fire works?  I don't "get" fire works.  I mean setting them off is fun, but going to your standard city-driven fireworks displays is so... silly.  Colourful explosions in the sky, while a mass of people ooh and aww.  It's never worked for me.  I know... whimsy and sparkley pretty flashing lights... but, meh.  Even when I was little, the only way seeing them was fun was if we got up so close that it felt like the embers might fall down on us.  Otherwise it seemed so anti-climactic.

Also, a friend who is living in the US visited recently.  He told me he brought back mini American Flag cakes and American Flag napkins.  So odd.  See, it's okay to eat the flag, then wipe your mouth with the flag, but it is absolutely never okay to let a flag touch the ground.  Odd.  I said that things would be at their best if you could defecate out a little flag poo to complete the process.  Then I felt weird for saying this and his American girlfriend got quiet.

Anyway, happy 4th of July.  I believe you are legally required to bbq some meat.

We went to a street festival and had bison burgers on Canada day.  They were tasty.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: theinevitable on July 04, 2007, 08:39:44 am
originally it wasn't OK to eat the flag or anything, either... but now that is changed.

for instance, hippies used to sew american flag patches to the asses of their jeans as a sign of disrespect to the flag, apparently. people got mad about this, back in the day.

this is what I've been told.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 04, 2007, 10:06:47 am
for instance, hippies used to sew american flag patches to the asses of their jeans as a sign of disrespect to the flag, apparently.

I wasn't around either but I am pretty sure it wasn't quite disrespect.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 04, 2007, 01:29:19 pm
originally it wasn't OK to eat the flag or anything, either... but now that is changed.

for instance, hippies used to sew american flag patches to the asses of their jeans as a sign of disrespect to the flag, apparently. people got mad about this, back in the day.

this is what I've been told.

According to Wikipedia, it's still not okay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Flag_Code)... but there's no actual penalty for violating the flag code. One thing that has always bothered me is the refusal to bow the flag in respect when proceeding past a country's leader... which is exactly what EVERY OTHER SINGLE DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD DOES. It betrays the level of arrogance the nation often has about itself.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2007, 02:04:29 pm
Every time you post I miss that goddamn bear so much.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 04, 2007, 04:01:49 pm
You and me both. Actually, I have access to my old desktop now, so maybe later I'll file through it and see if I saved it there.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2007, 04:17:52 pm
As the Republic crumbles, I wish all of you a happy 4th of July - even those of you who live in countries where the calendar jumps from the 3rd to the 5th.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: jough on July 04, 2007, 06:27:29 pm
Last night I tried to meet up with some people to see the July 3rd "Independence Eve" fireworks in Chicago.  They get about a million people in Grant Park ever year and I swear all million of them were pushing me at once.  It was a nightmare.

Incidentally, Chicago has their fireworks on the 3rd instead of the 4th so they don't have to pay city workers overtime wages.  It's funny because it's true.

Today it's rainy/raining here, so I'm just saying in all day, using this day as a lounge-around, making food that takes five hours to prepare (oven-baked ribs, homemade baked beans, puerco pibil for lunch on Thursday) and watch bad movies based on comic books (Ghost Rider: The Extended Cut and a screener a friend sent me of the Fantastic Four sequel).

Oh, and I cleaned my kitchen earlier while listening to the latest MacBreak podcast streaming from the internet on my new iPhone.  That's clean livin' right there.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: ImpyChick on July 04, 2007, 06:57:22 pm
So far today I've slept in, played with the kitties, & made some lunch.  I'm gonna take a shower in a bit, & go pick up some fare for grilling.  I was supposed to get together with some old buddies from college later, but I don't know if that's gonna happen now.  I need to tidy up my apartment & do some laundry @ some point.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: wombat on July 04, 2007, 07:17:45 pm

Incidentally, Chicago has their fireworks on the 3rd instead of the 4th so they don't have to pay city workers overtime wages.  It's funny because it's true.


Knowing this has truly made my life richer. Thank you.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2007, 08:13:43 pm
My day's coming together pretty much just like I pictured it.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: wombat on July 04, 2007, 09:05:09 pm
We are now sitting around trying to decide whether it's going to rain, so we know whether to fire up the grill or to go out for Chinese.  I think there is nothing more American than going out for egg rolls, so it is an acceptable substitute.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Nabubrush on July 04, 2007, 11:15:43 pm
We are now sitting around trying to decide whether it's going to rain, so we know whether to fire up the grill or to go out for Chinese.  I think there is nothing more American than going out for egg rolls, so it is an acceptable substitute.

I . . . I'm pretty sure we will have some egg rolls in one of those chafing pans or whatever tonight. Oh Wombles, it's like we have friendship bracelets!
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Limmo on July 05, 2007, 03:08:38 am
Woke up.  Took Audrey and Sophie to the dog park overlooking LAX.

Took Audrey to the El Segundo 4th celebration at the park.  I ate a Frito Boat while Audrey pelted me with eggshells stuffed with confetti.  Good times.

My wife's sister and two kids came over.  Took the whole bunch and Sophie over to the dog park again.  Sophie is a fast little dog.  And now a tired little dog.

Cooked steaks and hot dogs on the grill.  Ate them.  Watched a few episodes of Top Chef.

Here I am.

Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2007, 03:48:08 am
Went to dinner at friend's house, ribs and grilled chicken. swam in their pool.

then, did the most american thing, the thing which honors our forefathers more than any other:
sat on a hill, and pretended to have been shot when a firework went off, rolling down the hill either pretending to be limp and dead, or moaning in agony.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 05, 2007, 05:03:12 am
Went out to Burbank, stood in line for twenty minutes to buy Slurpees from a 7-11 converted into a Kwik-E-Mart... overwhelmed by the heat, we returned home, cranked the bedroom A/C and went to sleep until probably six.

Made some hot dogs on the foreman, drank an icey-cold Heineken in the shower.

America. A place... for Americans.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: V-Adore on July 05, 2007, 06:04:08 am
Stayed inside most of the day, given that it was raining. Limped carefully around the house, on account of cutting open my heel last night on the bookcase. Dinner was turkey burgers (America!), corn-on-the-cob, and watermelon. At about 10:30, we went out to set off fireworks, but the rain was starting again and we beat feet after a few mortar shells. The cats were not substantially afraid.

America!
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: pmcd9 on July 05, 2007, 06:18:50 am
Woke up early, did homework most of the day.  Finished homework and then rode my bike to the park and watched the fireworks.  Fireworks were lame.  Seen better in the suburbs.  Rode home.  Posted on a messageboard.  Happy Birthday America.

Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 05, 2007, 08:59:39 am
Woke up around 5pm.  Liquor stores closed in my state.  Bought 18 3.2% beers and drank by my pool until about 9.  Walked on to my campus to watch fireworks.  Came back around 11:30, got a 30 pack of Keystone Light.  Set of fireworks in my apt complex with neighbors and friends (as mentioned before, it is basically a commune with a really private courtyard).  Ate a veggie hamburger.  America, Fuck Yeah!


Later, after drugs and most of the thirty pack gone, shot Bottle rockets at our neighbors across the fence because they were throwing fireworks at us. 
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: kellichou on July 05, 2007, 12:36:55 pm
Hung out, the boyfriend and I cleaned the house.  Ran some errands in the afternoon. 

In the evening, we drank scotch while we made crab-bacon stuffed mushrooms (mmm!) for dinner.  And then drank red wine with dinner.  Then drank some beer after that, and watched fireworks from the tiny lagoon-park across the street from our house (well, condo, actually).  It's like I was TRYING to concoct the most unholy of hangovers.  Bleh. 
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Doc on July 05, 2007, 01:01:27 pm
Suffered under the tyrany of the british empire. Watched my home team lose a well played rugby match.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 05, 2007, 01:20:28 pm
Went to this (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20070704&content_id=2066475&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb), got one of these (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/schedule/promotions_popup.jsp?c_id=was&puid=2007_07_04_chnmlb_wasmlb_1), cooked and ate this (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/232267), and then watched our crazy-ass neighbors set off fireworks.  It was all well and good until one big tube fell over and sent blasts into neighboring driveways (fortunately not ours).  And, mercifully, the kids slept through it.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: linnea on July 05, 2007, 07:44:10 pm
Hung out, the boyfriend and I cleaned the house.  Ran some errands in the afternoon. 

In the evening, we drank scotch while we made crab-bacon stuffed mushrooms (mmm!) for dinner.  And then drank red wine with dinner.  Then drank some beer after that, and watched fireworks from the tiny lagoon-park across the street from our house (well, condo, actually).  It's like I was TRYING to concoct the most unholy of hangovers.  Bleh. 

Jesus Christ, wombie! that's some disgusting combos right there. Wine does not mix with anything. Poor you.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: jaydub on July 05, 2007, 09:19:46 pm
Finished planting the aramanth.  Went geocaching with the wife and kid (niece was busy sleeping until noon and the park ended up not allowing dogs).  Drank a lot of my bavarian hefeweizen homebrew and played video games until dinner time (grilled sausages on rolls with lots more homebrew).   Got some nice presents and a Coldstone ice cream cake for my birthday.  Violated local fireworks ordinances for about an hour.  Not a bad day at all.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 01:21:56 am
Grilled a slab of ribs and a few brats.  Took daughter to my office, sat behind my desk and watched fireworks over the State Capitol from my office window.  Downloaded the open source version of Transport Tycoon and played with that, which I intend to do again in a few minutes.
Title: Re: Fourth of July '07
Post by: kellichou on July 06, 2007, 05:43:41 am
Drank a lot of my bavarian hefeweizen homebrew and played video games until dinner time (grilled sausages on rolls with lots more homebrew).

Fellow homebrewer!  Woot!  I just made a Belgian quadrupel that turned out very nicely.  Not a summery beer, really (your hefe sounds marvelous), but tasty.  I'm an extract brewer, and we usually put our 5 gallon/20 L batches in a Corny keg.  One day, one day, we shall have teh sexy N2 capability.  And maybe even all-grain, when we live somewhere with a nice basement and/or garage.  But for now it's just regular CO2 w/ the kegerator.