The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on July 03, 2007, 10:39:20 pm

Title: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: linnea on July 03, 2007, 10:39:20 pm
Heh... I almost peed myself laughing when I read this column (http://www.westword.com/2007-06-21/news/mexico-of-the-north/). I love Latin culture, being Sicilian myself and also having Latin blood. I love the dude's writing style.
 
Like how Dan Savage used the "Hey Faggot" column title, Sr. Arellano uses "Ask a Mexican" for his column. I don't like his use of the word pussy as a pejorative, but his column is still pretty funny. Also, he italicizes all the Spanish words in his column...but BBcode is annoying so I'm not gonna. I trust that most of you have a good enough grasp of English to understand when a Spanish word is being used.

Also, is there some sort of long-standing feud between Mexicanos and Guatemalans? He seems to diss on Guatemala a fair bit in his column.

Quote from: Gustavo
Mexico of the North
Canadians bond with their very southern brothers.
By Gustavo Arellano
Published: June 21, 2007

Dear Readers: Contrary to what some of ustedes think, racist gabachos and self-hating Mexicans aren't my only fans. Many of our friendly neighbors to the Great White Norte also love me. In honor of my home town Anaheim Ducks pounding on pussy Canadians to win the Stanley Cup, I dedicate this column to ellos.

Dear Mexican: Why do Americans bitch about Mexicans stealing jobs? I constantly see white guys overseeing Mexican crews . The only thing I can think of that would make a white guy hire Mexicans is if they're willing to work for less pay than Americans. Lots of Americans like getting more for less, so why do they complain if lots of American bosses like getting more for less? Also, lots of Americans praise values like working hard and taking care of their families, yet jobs go unfilled because they won't "work beneath their dignity." Mexicans will "work beneath their dignity" so they can feed their families. So how do Mexicans "steal" jobs that Americans don't want, and why is it bad that they work like this?

Canadian Tourist

Dear Hoser: Why do Americans bitch about Mexicans stealing jobs? Gabachos whining about immigrants undercutting the American working man is as essential to this country's bedrock of liberty as the blood spilled on Iwo Jima. What's most fascinating about this psychosis is how it persists despite everyone knowing who the true culprit is: the free market. Sorry, Tom Tancredo: Erect all the border walls and sic all the migra agents you want to keep Mexicans away, but if Big Business wants wabs, Big Business will get wabs.

Dear Mexican: I know that to Mexicans, a Canadian probably seems like another serving of mayonnaise. But Canadians and Mexicans have a lot in common. We both put up with a lot of the same bullshit from a certain you-know-who across the border; you might say that we're like the two slices of bread on either side of a big bullshit sandwich. Do you think there will ever be greater cooperation between our peoples? I wonder if the Mexicans who dream of America might dream of Canada instead. For every Mexican who moves to Canada, we could send one Canadian back to Mexico — or we could send blocks of ice to help ease the raspado shortages.

Juan Canuck

Dear Hoser: We're already amigos. In 2004, the two countries signed the Canada-Mexico Partnership in honor of the sixtieth anniversary of diplomatic relations between los dos. As with most treaties involving Mexico, the CMP benefits mostly Mexicans — for instance, Canadian industries are helping redevelop the cities of Matamoros and Reynosa and have provided millions of dollars in credit to Mexican businesses. As a result, Mexicans are flocking to Canada; according to one Mexican governmental report, the number of Mexicans there increased almost 94 percent, from 22,035 in 1991 to 42,740 in 2001. I gotta hand it to you moose eaters: While most gabachos are celebrating the defeat of the amnesty bill in a manner better befitting Osama's capture, you're making nice with us. When the conquest of Aztlán is complete, we shall remember your kindness and offer Guatemala as a token of goodwill.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 03, 2007, 11:34:23 pm
This isn't the right way to say it, but I always understood that Mexicans feel the way about Guatemalans that some in the US feel about Mexicans, for generally the same reasons.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: smick on July 03, 2007, 11:41:22 pm
I wonder if the people in Tiera Del Fuego hate the hell out of people from Antarctica.   
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: AugustWest on July 04, 2007, 04:15:38 am
I wonder if in Tiera Del Fuego hate the hell out of people from Antarctica.   

Damn Icebacks!
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: mrchee on July 18, 2007, 03:50:52 am
I've been to Tierra del Fuego
I've been to Antarctica

Tierra del Fuego is better
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2007, 06:03:28 am
my grandparents love Tierra del Fuego. They have been several times, I think.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 19, 2007, 07:17:23 pm
I've been to Tierra del Fuego
I've been to Antarctica

Tierra del Fuego is better

Antarctica, you're no Tierra del Fuego.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: linnea on July 19, 2007, 10:09:19 pm
Antarctica, you're no Tierra del Fuego.

I think I've mentioned already that I got called back for a draftsman job in Antarctica. If I didn't have my little bratty rat Scottish Folds, I would probably go. It has a shorter span than a stint in the Peace Corps.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: jaydub on July 19, 2007, 10:49:03 pm
Alaska wasn't cold enough for you, eh? 
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2007, 02:10:55 am
Or isolated enough!
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: linnea on July 20, 2007, 03:12:43 am
Alaska wasn't cold enough for you, eh? 
Or isolated enough!

I bet there are more people at McMurdo than were at my town in AK. I should check on that, though.

I mean...after Alaska, what's the next logical step? Siberia? Working at a research station in the Antarctic would be pretty badass.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2007, 11:52:49 am
If you are serious, I know someone who spent time in Antarctica, I could ask if she'd be willing to talk to you.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: jaydub on July 20, 2007, 04:30:33 pm
One of my old coworkers was a physicist who specialized in high-altitude aerosols.  He spent 2 years floating balloons around Antarctica (working on a post-doc), and had a huge repository of stories about science, drama, isolation and madness.  One of my favourites had to do with a rescue from a deep pool of sewage that had formed under the ice (and maintained fluidity due to heat from bacterial fermentation). 
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2007, 07:36:19 pm
Antarctica is a place I'd like to go eventually. I'm not sure if they have a lot of call for neuroethologists down there, but if they do, I can take the cold and potential insanity.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2007, 07:39:38 pm
Antarctica is a place I'd like to go eventually. I'm not sure if they have a lot of call for neuroethologists down there, but if they do, I can take the cold and potential insanity.

Actually V, you've been in Antarctica for several years now. TOUAMB, its denizens, and even Achewood itself are all just in your head, created by your insanity and loneliness. That and some tainted penguin meat.



What a twist!
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2007, 07:41:57 pm
Actually V, you've been in Antarctica for several years now. TOUAMB, its denizens, and even Achewood itself are all just in your head, created by your insanity and loneliness. That and some tainted penguin meat.



What a twist!

Really? Then my life is already totally awesome.

Is this something where I'm going to wake up in Antarctica, wander the frozen wastes until hypothermia takes me, then wake up in a shotgun shack on the other side of the world? Or possibly as a butterfly?
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 20, 2007, 08:01:01 pm
Really? Then my life is already totally awesome.

Is this something where I'm going to wake up in Antarctica, wander the frozen wastes until hypothermia takes me, then wake up in a shotgun shack on the other side of the world? Or possibly as a butterfly?

How did I get here? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYbUCvz1LYE)
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: CortJstr on July 20, 2007, 10:25:11 pm
Really? Then my life is already totally awesome.

Is this something where I'm going to wake up in Antarctica, wander the frozen wastes until hypothermia takes me, then wake up in a shotgun shack on the other side of the world? Or possibly as a butterfly?

You wake up in a room. It's very cold and there are no windows. It appears to be some kind of medical lab. The equipment is all off, and the lights are dim, as if running on back-up power. There is a door to the north.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: pmcd9 on July 21, 2007, 02:01:08 am
Do they have private lodgings in Antarctica now or is it like dorm living?
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: Nabubrush on July 21, 2007, 02:30:59 am
Do they have private lodgings in Antarctica now or is it like dorm living?

It's just a couple hundred Airstreams.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: joeyramoney1 on August 11, 2007, 05:31:35 pm
pussy.
Title: Re: Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.
Post by: jay-ell on August 11, 2007, 08:17:53 pm
Joey:

Please don't revive months-old threads for single-word replies.  It is annoying, and in this case it is particularly inappropriate. 

Consider this a kind warning.  I give you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you meant no harm.