The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:11:11 am

Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:11:11 am
Well, I don't know you well enough to say whether or not I love you, but I most definitely love your dog.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:29:06 am
Here (http://fff.fathom.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=mediaGallery&file=index&do=showpic&pid=57&orderby=dateD) is a picture of me with one of my dogs.  He is much (about 80 pounds) larger now.  We still take naps together, though.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: jay-ell on October 10, 2003, 02:35:14 am
That is so adorable, I called Pedro in from the other room just to see it.  

So adorable, I weep salty tears of adoration.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 02:43:44 am
Awwwwwww!!

(I leave it up to you how to interpret that.)
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 02:53:05 am
Just a coupla big lummoxes asleep on the couch.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2003, 10:24:08 am
Oh god, and you've got a dog with a squished up face, too.  I can't stand it.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/090403/squished-up-face.gif
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 01:21:58 pm
Actually, I have two.  Two boxers.

Also, two dogs without squished-up faces.  One dachshund and one beagle.

Skipper, Ginger, Gus and Sadie.  

Also about 8 or 9 barn cats in various degrees of feralness (ferality?).
Title: Dawgs
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2003, 04:23:23 pm
A dachshund is one of the few dogs without squished up faces that is not retarded and boring.  Truly, you are breaking my heart.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2003, 05:39:23 pm
Gus, our dachshund, is a hoot.  He's the smallest and youngest of our dogs, yet he's clearly the alpha male.  The little guy's agressive and just plain fearless.  Skipper, the other male dog, could crush him with a paw but is strangely cowed by Gus.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: slink on October 10, 2003, 06:16:09 pm
Damn, now there's a thread I'm gonna have to scan a picture of Molly (named by my mom after the Gibson character) our most adorable dog.
As opposed to our other dog, who is old, dumb and kinda disgusting...
Title: Dawgs
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2003, 06:19:37 pm
AugustWest if I ever met you, I'd say a polite hello and then totally blow you off to spend several hours snuggling with your furries, giving doggy rubs and scrapping with roughneck cats.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2003, 09:13:36 pm
I'm vaguely reminded of the time that I came into contact with a dog that was a crossbreed between a Dachshund and a Malamute. I recall it being roughly Dachshund-shaped and -sized, but very, very fuzzy. Were the events leading up to that dog's conception not as irreproducable as they must have been, I'd try to get one for myself.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: Mite on October 11, 2003, 01:30:39 am
Freakin' adorable, AugustWest.

I'm not responsible enough for a dog or a cat at the moment, but I have two fabulous pet rats: Peaches and Dangerous Beans (names taken from a Terry Pratchett book, btw). They aren't quite as cuddly, but they make the place feel a little homier.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2003, 02:06:53 am
I used to have rats named THIS and THAT. Then they had babies, which I referred to as "THOSE" before we took them to the pet store. Sadly the rats only lived a few years, but they make AWESOME pets.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2003, 04:43:27 am
I gotta great doggie with a sweet disposition

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/Pic_of_the_Day/Images/DSCN3594-E-I.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Dawgs
Post by: jough on October 25, 2003, 05:12:48 am
Has anyone else read Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series?  Particularly the second story line: A Doll's House?

Just wondering.  PM me.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: jay-ell on October 27, 2003, 01:51:01 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I used to have rats named THIS and THAT. Then they had babies, which I referred to as "THOSE" before we took them to the pet store. Sadly the rats only lived a few years, but they make AWESOME pets.


Presidential Pet Trivia: Lyndon Johnson's famous beagles -- the ones he picked up by the ears in this notorious photograph (http://www.anecdotage.com/pics/lbjbeagle.jpg) -- were named "Him" and "Her."

And who here could forget FDR's little dog Fala?  Or Nixon's infamous "Checkers speech?"  Ah, yes.  I'm a veritable font of useless knowledge.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2003, 02:30:57 pm
There's a statue of Fala at the FDR memorial. I wonder if it is the only dog at a national monument or if there is another one I don't know about.  It's quite large.  There is also a statue of Eleanor which I think is about the right size to have an Achewood garment photographed attached to her in some way (although I don't think we could get it over her head).  If only we could ever get those DC Acheheads to get together to do this...
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 01:01:40 am
Picturing Eleanor Roosevelt in an Achewood Spaghetti Strap Tank is making me hot.

Oh, yeah. Send photos.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 01:03:45 am
FDR falls into the category of The Many Monuments I've Never Been To. Also on the illustrious list: Wash, Jeff, Korean, Holocaust.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2003, 04:43:45 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Picturing Eleanor Roosevelt in an Achewood Spaghetti Strap Tank is making me hot.

Oh, yeah. Send photos.


Allow me to be the first to say --

YIKES!
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:42:59 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I gotta great doggie with a sweet disposition


What sort o' pooch is that? Is it a golden retriever? Those are awesome. Looks like a totally sweet dog.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: jay-ell on October 28, 2003, 01:46:34 pm
I am having a love affair with paul's handlebar moustache.  

Also, I remember seeing Fala at the FDR memorial and was so excited that I called Dad on my cell just to tell him about it.  (He's a geek like me.  Or, rather, I'm a geek like him, since I totally blame him for my geekiness, which I believe to be a congenital condition.)  The FDR memorial is probably my favorite, seeing as how I'm all about some symbolism, but if you've only got 3 hours in DC, you should go to the Holocaust museum.  It's absolutely horrifying to go through, it changed my whole perspective.  It took me about half an hour just to stop sobbing.  And I'm not the weepy type at all.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 02:29:24 pm
We discussed the FDR memorial in my architecture class for like 3 hours. I think the final consensus was that it looked better before it was retrofitted to be handicap accessible, but it was a really stupid idea not to build it as accessible to begin with.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: jay-ell on October 28, 2003, 03:51:47 pm
Especially as a memorial to a president who used a wheelchair.  Yeah, that is hella irony for you.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:37:29 pm
The fact the FDR's memorial could POSSIBLY have been designed in a way that would have excluded FDR himself is an amazing tribute in and of itself.
Title: Dawgs
Post by: pmcd9 on October 29, 2003, 04:47:25 am
Yes, Goldie (Oh how original, I know) is a golden retriever.  She is a totally sweet doggie.  BTW, I didn't name her, she came with that name and seemed rather attached to it so I left her with it.   I never name my own pets for some reason.  Before Goldie I had a beautiful golden lab mix named Mack which was named by the neighbor.  As a puppy he would visit her (the neighbors) dogs and would bowl them over playing because he was so much bigger than them.  So he got the name Mack because he was like a Mack truck.  I only found that out much later.  I thought they just named him Mack because that's my name you know.  Then I got Rae (That's her in the avatar taken at the very moment she first met Goldie--They get on famously now) who was named by my then girlfriend.  So for a whie my pets were named Mack and Rae, get it.  Before Mack I had a Spitz Terrier named Dinglehopper.  My mother came up with that one.  Apparently that's a comb which is actually a fork in The Little Mermaid movie.  When D was a little puppy he would get in her hair (figuratively and literally).  When I was a teenager I took in a stray cat and named him Sasha Emma Cooper so it's probably a good thing that I don't name pets.  Lord forgive me if I ever have a daughter because I swear I will name her after my great grandmother Amazon Caldonia.  I love that name, it's so cool, but certain adolescent hell for the poor child stuck with it.

Picturing Eleanor Rosevelt in a spaghetti strap tee somehow reminds me of Will Ferrell as Janet Reno.  Whats up with that?

JL you like my moustache.  That's cool.  Insert sexually charged handlebar moustache inuendo here.

~Paul

PS- Amazon was 4'-11" tall.