The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mrdna1 on July 05, 2007, 07:50:46 am

Title: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: mrdna1 on July 05, 2007, 07:50:46 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

this strip is ... amazing.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: mrchee on July 05, 2007, 07:56:40 am
curbing someone with bare feet hurts
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: V-Adore on July 05, 2007, 08:23:44 am
Oh. My. God.

Epic strip. Epic. Further commentary would only dilute it.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Dullscythe on July 05, 2007, 08:48:49 am
This completes what, up until now, has been a sorry sham of a life. I am sated.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 05, 2007, 09:30:45 am
I had to look up this Comic Sans, but, even before I did I knew this strip was hilarious.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Doc on July 05, 2007, 09:41:24 am
Beautiful
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 05, 2007, 10:05:31 am
Once again, Achewood is so funny that it makes me feel untalented as a writer.

Fuck you, Achewood. Fuck you for being so funny that I felt bad about myself. Quit making me feel bad by making me feel good! It isn't fair!

And then I remember...

Family Guy is probably running on Cartoon Network right now. I will feel funny again by comparison.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: DanSC on July 05, 2007, 10:15:07 am
You did good tonight, Onstad.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: side_show on July 05, 2007, 12:45:05 pm
Okay party people - name your font of choice!

I use Bookman Old Style for most things.  I have a strong dislike of Ariel.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 05, 2007, 12:58:01 pm
BEST. ACHEWOOD. EVER.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Doc on July 05, 2007, 01:00:29 pm
Gothic is fun but unsuitable for anything work related, my old honours supervisor swore by Helvetica so that's what I tend to use now when I'm not rocking the classic Times New Roman.

For the first couple of years after I got the internet I used to IM in Lucida Handwriting. I think I thought this was classy rather than unreadable.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 05, 2007, 01:06:54 pm
We, the management of bigfool.com, are deeply offended by the hatin' on Comic Sans.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: smick on July 05, 2007, 02:04:17 pm
Next we find the guy who made Tekton.

Pre Comic-Sans it was the font that was most ill used.  It's supposed to be a replacement to the font used on blueprints, instead it's used as a display font to make things seem friendly and light hearted.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: jaydub on July 05, 2007, 02:32:43 pm
I'm partial to Garamond.  I like the way W's look in it.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: rabidambulance on July 05, 2007, 03:11:44 pm
Next we find the guy who made Tekton.

Pre Comic-Sans it was the font that was most ill used.  It's supposed to be a replacement to the font used on blueprints, instead it's used as a display font to make things seem friendly and light hearted.

It was David Siegel, who deserves a curbing for a lot of other reasons, too.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 05, 2007, 03:21:51 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

this strip is ... amazing.


Much hate to you for writing IN the blasted font.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: mrdna1 on July 05, 2007, 04:16:15 pm
Much hate to you for writing IN the blasted font.
when I found out that you could change the font on this board I couldn't resist. I'm more of a Sylfaen or Gill Sans guy anyway.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 05, 2007, 04:55:57 pm
In college, a few of my overzealous design friends would make sport of removing Comic Sans, Mistral and Matisse from every public computer on campus.  It was for the best.

Who seriously thought Matisse was a good idea?  At my old company, we sponsored an annual calendar contest and the number of submissions we received with these goddamn default basic-ass Windows fonts was disgusting and sad.  If you know enough to avoid novelty fonts, you should also know that a font isn't good just because it's included with your Windows ME Gateway from seven years ago.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: theinevitable on July 05, 2007, 05:35:25 pm
I really like how much people are hating on fonts.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: colmore on July 05, 2007, 05:39:04 pm
I'm surprised nobody has dug this up yet:

http://www.connare.com/comic.htm (http://www.connare.com/comic.htm)

and here's an interview:

http://www.manic.com.sg/blog/archives/000118.php (http://www.manic.com.sg/blog/archives/000118.php)

It really couldn't be better: Comic Sans was engineered for Microsoft Bob.

I'm going to rebut this guy.  Comic Sans does not suck because it is a bad font that shouldn't be in a default font pack (though it is, and it shouldn't.)  Comic Sans sucks becuase it is bad as a comic lettering font.  It's a corporate in-house design approximation of what comic lettering sort of looks like.  The way to actually make a font like Comic Sans work (as has been done many times since the explosion of webcomics) would have been to research the better lettered comics out there (personally I'm a fan of the 1920s and 30s Mickey penis strips for "funny" lettering) not just ape the general idea of comic lettering.  Times and Arial are generic default fonts too.  They are everywhere and nobody calls foul on their casual usage.  However, if you letter your webcomic with Comic Sans, you're a jackass.  It's a badly failed design, and despite what some of the comments on that interview suggest, there is very much such a thing as bad design.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: side_show on July 05, 2007, 05:48:59 pm
Okay font geeks - I am always in the market for new fonts.  Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should check out?
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 05, 2007, 05:52:53 pm
I am a huge fan of the functional simplicity of Times New Roman.

Sometimes, things are default for a reason. It just works.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: dejavroom on July 05, 2007, 06:01:50 pm
Georgia is the way forward, peeps.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: V-Adore on July 05, 2007, 06:05:41 pm
Garamond is my favorite serif-having font, since it manages to look classy without sacrificing legibility. Times New Roman is also a sturdy favorite, and I still harbor a secret love of Courier New, cultured during my days as a callow youth on Usenet.

As for san-serifs, eh, no real preference. Chicago is nice, but I think it has such an association with iPods that we may have lost it for good.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Drastic Action on July 05, 2007, 06:09:50 pm
Book Antiqua is a good general font.  It doesn't distract you, but it is slightly different.

Verdana Bold is excellent for anything you're going to be reading a lot of.

Fixedsys is enjoyable for a bit of a retro, bitmapped font feel.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 05, 2007, 06:36:41 pm
I didn't know people had such strong opinions on fonts until this strip/thread and a scene in American Psycho (which I watched today) in which the main character becomes homicidal because of someone's better taste in font etc on a business card.

A+ to the strip by the way. I remember I used to use Comic Sans at age ten when we first got our computer because it was fun.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: otter on July 05, 2007, 07:31:49 pm
People in search of better alternatives should check out http://www.bancomicsans.com (http://www.bancomicsans.com).

Also: this strip made my afternoon.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: linnea on July 05, 2007, 07:32:02 pm
Amazing strip. Like omba (wombat)said, further discussion will only dilute it.

My favorite is Verdana. Arial is a close second. I don't really like the serif fonts. Sans-serif all the way, baby.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: hoborg on July 05, 2007, 07:57:23 pm
futura is hella tight

GEOMETRIC SANS SERIF 4 LYFE
DOWN WITH HUMANISTS


Did anyone else feel a little... disturbed by this strip? I found it really funny at first, but eventually thinking about the chill achewood characters kicking the shit out of a helpless dude American History X-style just seemed so wrong. I know it's a one-off but it's still weird to see them so out of character in a violent way.

Last time (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312007) Onstad used the curb reference is one of my favorite strips, though.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 05, 2007, 08:58:16 pm
Get yourself a proper Helvetica.  Arial is an imitation.

General Electric released a house typeface called Inspira a few years ago, and I think it works nicely as clear, simple body.  I downloaded it once from the GE site but it looks like that link doesn't work anymore.  I'm sure a little Googling might turn up an old door someone forgot to lock.

Avant Garde (http://www.graphic-design.com/Type/Avant/Avant2.html) is a great display font and sometimes the ligatures make me choke up a little.  Cooper Black has all the retro corniness but AG reminds me of the ugly beauty of the early 70's like whoa.

Fontifier.com can turn your handwriting into a font.  Just print out the template, fill in whatever you want, scan it, upload the scan and then preview your font.  I have three versions of my own penmanship.  It used to be free but now it's $9 if you want to download the actual file.  It takes longer than you might think to make all your horizonals and verticals match but it's quick and easy if you don't mind those things. 

Plus you can draw such as a furious ding-dong and make that your ! or @ symbol.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: elfbabe on July 05, 2007, 10:28:42 pm
This strip is destined to become a classic.

And personally, I've always thought that Tahoma wasn't too bad.
(but if you can recommend an obscure font to replace it, go right ahead!)
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: smick on July 05, 2007, 11:10:22 pm
All of my work messenger functions are done with courier.  All of my coworkers have opted for colored fonts of fancy, your chancery, your comic sans, what have you.   I have decided to go the other direction.   It also helps when I paste technical stuff into the IM window.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: jaydub on July 05, 2007, 11:43:01 pm
You all have wasted my entire afternoon with font silliness.  I now have freefont{freesans & freeserif} installed, which I find I like better than Arial.  I'm wondering if I can actually communicate with the rest of the company now if I type in freesans, or will they get □□□□□□□
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Ruddy Ruddy on July 06, 2007, 12:26:19 am
The best part of this comic for me is deconstructing exactly why all the guys are having such a vicious reaction to Comic Sans. Teodor's obviously offended as a graphic designer. Ray, because it's not classy. Roast Beef, because it's for lame computer newbies. And I'd say Lyle didn't care about fonts at all and just wanted to deliver a punishing beatdown if I didn't know that he was secretly a master of commercial-quality calligraphy (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05302002).
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Golfhaus on July 06, 2007, 01:15:47 am
I'm a big fan of Trebuchet, myself. I use it for damn near everything.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 01:33:04 am
I've always been fond of Copperplate Gothic.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: jough on July 06, 2007, 02:05:09 am
I really like Trebuchet too.

Helvetica is my favourite font, though.  I want to name my daughter Helvetica.  And imagine my delight when I saw that the iPhone's interface is done (almost) entirely in Helvetica (except for the Notes app, which uses Comic Sans' uglier cousin, Felt Marker).

Now let's go get the motherfucker who invented Papyrus!
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 02:45:15 am
Isn't Trebuchet some kind of medieval torture device?

Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: V-Adore on July 06, 2007, 02:48:52 am
That interview with the dude who invented Comic Sans was massively disappointing. I like how, despite repeatedly alluding to inappropriate use as the reason people hate Comic Sans, he never actually named an appropriate use... dude, your font is so poorly conveyed!
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 06, 2007, 02:59:17 am
That interview with the dude who invented Comic Sans was massively disappointing. I like how, despite repeatedly alluding to inappropriate use as the reason people hate Comic Sans, he never actually named an appropriate use... dude, your font is so poorly conveyed!

I think he did. He said it was designed for interactive troubleshooting programs for kids in MS.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: melack on July 06, 2007, 03:11:55 am
Lucida Grande.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Hobo Joe on July 06, 2007, 04:01:31 am
I'm a big fan of Trebuchet, myself. I use it for damn near everything.

According to wikipedia Trebechet was invented by the same son of a bitch who invented comic sans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Connare
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 04:04:53 am
Quote
Isn't Trebuchet some kind of medieval torture device?

it's like a big, badass catapult. Kind of.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 04:32:08 am
There was a New Yorker article about a year or so ago (it's still in the can, I think) about a font designer.  I think he designed Verdana or Tahoma or something, along with numerous others.  Interesting story how he ended up in that niche.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 04:55:27 am
Okay font geeks - I am always in the market for new fonts.  Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should check out?

mel, I am in love with some of the ones on this site (http://www.linotype.com/2264/coolfonts.html). YMMV. Obviously these are not fonts that you would use to write an entire page or post with; rather, they would work well on posters or the cover of a book or something.

"Boner Book (http://www.linotype.com/141961/f2fbonerbook-font.html)" has a hilarious name.
"Spacera (http://www.linotype.com/48578/linotypespaceraregular-font.html)" looks like something outta Mondo 2000, the cyberpunk magazine of the late 1990s.
I like "Johann Sparkling" (http://www.linotype.com/142569/itcjohannsparklingregular-font.html), it's a very nice script. Lyle would be proud.
I get kinda chapped when I see "Pablo" (http://www.linotype.com/142673/pabloplain-font.html) because it's a little like seeing a picture of a deceasedt Cobain hawking Doc Martens. I mean... would Picasso have wanted his signature appropriated and turned into a font so that people can put it on their blogs or wedding invitations?


Yep, Spacera's pretty cool.  (http://a5.vox.com/6a00c2251cafea8fdb00cd973d46c54cd5-pi)
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Golfhaus on July 06, 2007, 08:25:48 pm
According to wikipedia Trebechet was invented by the same son of a bitch who invented comic sans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Connare

So he's 1-1.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: melack on July 17, 2007, 01:28:21 am
Hate to dig up an old-ish thread, but I would just like to point something out. Yesterday I happened to see the last few minutes of the movie Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls - only because it had Stringer Bell from The Wire! Honest! - and the end credits were in comic sans. Really. The entire credits. Even the badass-ness of Stinger Bell wasn't enough to make up for that typography trainwreck.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 04:27:21 am
This cartoon has made me very aware of Comic Sans.  I am seeing it everywhere.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: linnea on July 17, 2007, 05:46:10 am
This cartoon has made me very aware of Comic Sans.  I am seeing it everywhere.

Isn't it weird? I disliked Comic Sans before, but now it seems even more irritating. The increased awareness of irritating Comic Sans has done my stomach acid no favors.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: mrdna1 on July 17, 2007, 01:34:30 pm
Hate to dig up an old-ish thread, but I would just like to point something out. Yesterday I happened to see the last few minutes of the movie Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls - only because it had Stringer Bell from The Wire! Honest! - and the end credits were in comic sans. Really. The entire credits. Even the badass-ness of Stinger Bell wasn't enough to make up for that typography trainwreck.
I believe the titles and credits for the Fat Albert movie were done in Comic Sans as well.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 30, 2007, 03:04:41 pm
This cartoon has made me very aware of Comic Sans.  I am seeing it everywhere.

Yes, word, precisely. The mark of a good strip.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: theinevitable on July 30, 2007, 09:43:37 pm
after this, I realized that 7th or 8th grade me had set my AIM to use Comic Sans. I had been speaking, and Comic Sans was my voice.

I contemplated getting a new screenname to end the shame, but "theinevitable" and "the_inevitable" weren't available-- neither was my real name. So, there goes that. I really think they need to go through and take out all the screennames that haven't been used in 5 years or more.

Ironically, I know the guy who has my Real Name as a screenname. Ah, facebook. So, I guess it's not really irony.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: keithcozz on August 03, 2007, 12:41:57 am
This strip sucked.  Who the fuck knows what "comic sans" is?
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 12:47:35 am
This strip sucked.  Who the fuck knows what "comic sans" is?

Basically everyone that posts on this board except you I would guess.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 23, 2008, 04:35:17 pm
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766/ (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766/)
Mailbox! Mailbox!
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: jay-ell on July 23, 2008, 04:56:33 pm
props for linkage. 
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: Doc on July 24, 2008, 01:31:35 pm
What the hell has happened to college humour? Last time I went to that site it was where you go to see a guy get kicked in the balls by his room-mate.
Great video, except of course for comic sans being a good thing.
Title: Re: 5 Jul 2007 - HE WANTS TO TASTE THE fuck*ng CURB!
Post by: dejavroom on April 09, 2014, 12:19:12 pm
Guys I know we're supposed to create new threads but there can be no better home for this link than here: http://laughingsquid.com/comic-neue-a-redesigned-version-of-the-comic-sans-font/ (http://laughingsquid.com/comic-neue-a-redesigned-version-of-the-comic-sans-font/)