The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 04:58:41 am

Title: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 04:58:41 am
egh. Nothing special. Normally I dig these, but... this one had nothing.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062007 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062007)
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2007, 05:04:59 am
Hey, kid, where the link?  I me whas-sa-matta fuh you?  Seriously, fig you inev.  WTF?

Also, I love how cute and furious the otter looks holding his sign.

Also, Onstad seems to want us to buy his products.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: linnea on July 06, 2007, 05:13:14 am
Yes, Daddy's bank account is low so he trots out the cute otter to prod the minions into coughing something into the coffers, I guess?
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: V-Adore on July 06, 2007, 05:46:48 am
I sense today was a bad week at Chez Onstad. Maybe I'll buy a shirt as a thank-you for that Comic Sans strip.

Anyway, is the middle "FREDERICK IS CRAPPY!" panel hilarious to anyone else? I love the idea of "crappy" as a word you'll surely regret later.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: oball on July 06, 2007, 05:56:14 am
Hmmm.  I think when I get home I'll dig out the ol' credit card and buy that "What We Need More Of Is Science" shirt that I've been meaning to buy since I started reading Achewood.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 06, 2007, 06:43:40 am
Hmmm.  I think when I get home I'll dig out the ol' credit card and buy that "What We Need More Of Is Science" shirt that I've been meaning to buy since I started reading Achewood.

Don't encourage him, otherwise he'll pull more Fig You Fridays to make more money.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: melack on July 06, 2007, 07:15:54 am
Oh man, English addresses. English addresses. Man. Those are some crazy things. English addresses.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Doc on July 06, 2007, 12:05:07 pm
I normally don't go in for these at all but this one got me chuckling.
Come on people, Creamharrow.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 12:50:08 pm
I LOVE Friday Facts!

Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 12:52:32 pm
Meanwhile in the US: five figure house numbers.

Curtail your damn streets, people!


What's infuriating is five figure house numbers on streets which do not have anywhere near 1,0000 houses! What do they need such big numbers for!  Start at ONE, people!

OK, I have a four figure house number on a street which is only maybe six blocks long and does not have 1000 houses, much less the 8,000 that my block numbers imply. But that's different. Four figures is respectable.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 12:59:16 pm
What's infuriating is five figure house numbers on streets which do not have anywhere near 1,0000 houses! What do they need such big numbers for!  Start at ONE, people!

Or TWO if you're on the even side of the street. Think of the madness if the numbers just went up in order. Chaos. CHAOS.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: AugustWest on July 06, 2007, 02:17:29 pm
Oh man, English addresses. English addresses. Man. Those are some crazy things. English addresses.

I'm moving to Twine Ailment.  It is my destiny.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Gimpson on July 06, 2007, 02:39:09 pm
What's infuriating is five figure house numbers on streets which do not have anywhere near 1,0000 houses! What do they need such big numbers for!  Start at ONE, people!

You people are all wrong.  Having the upper digits of the street number correspond with the number of the crossing street means you have extra information about the location of the address encoded within the address itself.  "11907 Lamar Ave." is going to be near 119th and Lamar.  It's an awesome system and I won't sit idly by while it is disparaged. 
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 02:44:34 pm
You people are all wrong.  Having the upper digits of the street number correspond with the number of the crossing street means you have extra information about the location of the address encoded within the address itself.  "11907 Lamar Ave." is going to be near 119th and Lamar.  It's an awesome system and I won't sit idly by while it is disparaged. 

I agree, but I think Wombat meant out in the exurbs where there aren't really cross streets and they definitely aren't numbered. I know planned communities seem to just pull house numbers out of a hat.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Gimpson on July 06, 2007, 03:21:53 pm
I agree, but I think Wombat meant out in the exurbs where there aren't really cross streets and they definitely aren't numbered. I know planned communities seem to just pull house numbers out of a hat.

Though I will admit that the system breaks down around here.  In eastern Kansas our east-west streets increase in number as you go south.  The very low numbers are up near the river in Kansas City, KS, and increase to the mid 100s in the southern suburbs.  I just checked on Google Maps, and that numbering scheme continues through 399th St., which is about halfway to the Oklahoma border.  I think at some point you need to admit that you're no longer in the KC metro area and come up with your own numbering scheme. 
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 06, 2007, 03:27:54 pm
Fun fact!  It took us almost two years to get up our house numbers on our new house.  My sis gave use some crappy solar-light address numbers as a housewarming gift- they never worked, and then for quite a while I just couldn't make up my mind.  Everyone liked to complain about it, but I was like "Yeah, well hear you are in my house, so I guess things worked out okay."  Our street starts at 200 - across the cross-street is a park (a very old park) flanked on either side by the continuation of the streets that flank us.  I always wonder if there were any phantom houses there before the first world war (the park is a Vimy Memorial park).  Our street also goes up to the thousands, with the higher numbers being in the seriously crime-ridden part of town.  The news always reports which section of the street the crime occurred on, like: "in the 800 block of..."  It's always nice to know how many blocks away the murder was from our house!  Cheery!
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 03:59:58 pm
I agree, but I think Wombat meant out in the exurbs where there aren't really cross streets and they definitely aren't numbered.

Yeah. I think there is a secret reason that our numbers are all in the 8000s but since no one knows what it is, what's the point. However, this secret plan also means that there are similar numbers all over the neighborhood - so there's a house on my street numbered 8402, and one around the corner with the same number, and one in the parallel street with the same number..  Which just results in confusion especially when the regular mailman is on vacation.

Someone needs to look up something about Japanese addresses and post it. They are the craziest. But I am supposed to be working.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 04:10:27 pm
My parents address works like Wombat's. All the houses on her street have the same numbers as the houses one street over, which also has a very similar name (North Lake Dr and Lake Ridge Pl). UPS gets mixed up especially often for some reason.

My neighborhood is all nice and orderly. Numbered streets run EW and the named streets are in alphabetical order. So it's super easy to figure out how far away something is. Unless it's like crazy far away an the alphabet has had to reset 2 or 3 times.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 06, 2007, 04:43:30 pm
"Washington DC is the only city on earth where you can be at exactly the right address and still only have a 25% chance of being where you are." -- Adam Brodsky.

He said this at a show because he was all excited that it only took him 2 tries to find the club. Apparently he has a habit of going to, say, 7th and V, NE instead of 7th and V, NW. This can potentially be very dangerous.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: pmcd9 on July 06, 2007, 04:59:47 pm
In Price Utah the streets are numbered in both directions and then divided into n/s/e/w.  I lived on N 1100 E.  I never could figure it out.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2007, 05:52:29 pm
my neighborhood has one main road in basically a circle. I live at 15433.

What pisses people off is that I think of it as a circle, and it should be a circle, but there a bunch of weird turns in one part-- if you don't turn, you end up on a dead-end. Unnecessary. I often forget  one or more of these turns when giving people directions.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 06, 2007, 08:32:56 pm
I lived in a condo in Newport News, my street number was 12695. We then moved to our house in Charlotte, on a cul-de-sac that will maybe have nine houses on it. My street number is now 12606.

I tried to figure out why that happened, and I realized all the other streets are numbered a bit differently. There won't be any other house on any other street numbered 12606. That will make it easy for the homeowner's association to collect their dues, since each file number can just be the street number, but yeah, I'd much rather be 6 than 12606.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: V-Adore on July 06, 2007, 08:50:25 pm
Someone needs to look up something about Japanese addresses and post it. They are the craziest. But I am supposed to be working.

All I remember about Japanese addresses was a fleeting terror, followed by an abiding amazement that the Japanese postal service and food-delivery guys ever successfully get anything anywhere. That may be all I ever need to know.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: wombat on July 06, 2007, 09:02:54 pm
This is probably enough to explain why you felt that way:

Quote
With the exception of major roads, Japanese streets are not named. Instead, cities and towns are subdivided into areas, subareas and blocks, similar to the insulae system of the Roman empire. To complicate the matter, houses within each subarea were formerly not numbered in geographical sequence but in the temporal order in which they were constructed.

from http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html)

The buildings are numbered chronologically - isn't that just wonderful?
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 07, 2007, 05:12:46 pm
Aw man. So good.

"R2DTrousers" is actually pronounced "CAN'D"
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: ImpyChick on July 07, 2007, 09:15:09 pm
Though I will admit that the system breaks down around here.  In eastern Kansas our east-west streets increase in number as you go south.  The very low numbers are up near the river in Kansas City, KS, and increase to the mid 100s in the southern suburbs.  I just checked on Google Maps, and that numbering scheme continues through 399th St., which is about halfway to the Oklahoma border.  I think at some point you need to admit that you're no longer in the KC metro area and come up with your own numbering scheme. 

Can'd for the fun KC factoid :).  I knew the numbers were pretty high once you go south of Olathe, but I had no idea they went clear to 399.  Kind of ridiculous.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 08, 2007, 12:58:01 am
Can'd for the fun KC factoid :).  I knew the numbers were pretty high once you go south of Olathe, but I had no idea they went clear to 399.  Kind of ridiculous.

I found a 403rd Street... which looked like it was about 100 miles south of the city proper. And I thought annexation in Charlotte was ridiculous.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Doc on July 08, 2007, 01:36:24 am
The buildings are numbered chronologically - isn't that just wonderful?

OOHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 08, 2007, 02:48:57 am
Golfhaus-- the intersection of Queens and Queens and Providence and Providence is my family's favorite.

Also: the fact that there are like 10 queens.

also: the fact that Sharon Rd. intersects Sharon Ln.

also: ok, basically, streets in charlotte are crazy.


I really want to find a picture of this one traffic interchange in St Louis... there are lights... but it's a roundabout? and there are also roads going straight. through the roundabout.

basically I laughed so hard, but was terrified.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 08, 2007, 02:56:11 pm
"On The Corner of Providence and Providence" by theinevitable - a coming of age novel.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 08, 2007, 03:51:13 pm
Golfhaus-- the intersection of Queens and Queens and Providence and Providence is my family's favorite.

Also: the fact that there are like 10 queens.

also: the fact that Sharon Rd. intersects Sharon Ln.

also: ok, basically, streets in charlotte are crazy.


I really want to find a picture of this one traffic interchange in St Louis... there are lights... but it's a roundabout? and there are also roads going straight. through the roundabout.

basically I laughed so hard, but was terrified.

Yeah, I learned about that when I told people my temporary housing was off of Park, and everyone at work said, "Which one?" and then I said "the one near Woodlawn?" and they said, "yeah, which of those?"

Park and Park South was a favorite.

Exactly who the hell was Sharon, and why does he/she have ten roads named after them?
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 08, 2007, 06:06:50 pm
In my city's storied history, we once had a red light district, with streets named after the more famed ladies of the night.  These streets still have lovely ladies names - Gertrude, Agnes, Isabelle, etc. and are still where one would go to pick up a lady, though the official red light district is gone.  the isabelle
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 08, 2007, 06:52:41 pm
The main navigational confusion in Los Angeles is that, at this point, nearly every other block has an unofficial or semi-official "neighborhood name" constructed in attempts to bring up their property values slightly.

In Van Nuys, there is a neighborhood that started calling itself "Balboa Lake" to try and get better property values than Van Nuys and... it didn't clear it properly with the city and now people are getting sued for listing themselves as "Balboa Lake" in real estate guides.

Balboa Lake isn't a lake, it's a small pond affiliated with the water district in some manner.

And it is in no way part of the "Balboa Lake" neighborhood.

The "lake" is a mile or two south, in Encino.

So basically it is a neighborhood that does not exist, named after a lake that isn't a lake and the neighborhood in no way contains or touches said lake. Also, people in Encino are trying to sue them for appropriating the name because the lake that does not exist IS in their poorly defined neighborhood.

It's a pretty awesome time to be alive.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2007, 07:18:46 pm
Around here people are usually really good at pulleing this off. For example when AOL moved their HQ to Ashburn they decided they didn't like the name, so they claimed to be based in the fictional town of Dulles. So other businesses like Carmax followed suit, claiming to be in the fictional town of Dulles. Finally the post office caved and now has like 5 ZIP codes for a place that shouldn't even exist.

The neighborhood thing happened in Arlington. You can mail a letter addressed to Roslyn, VA even though it's just a neighborhood in Arlington and the PO doesn't care. Again, it even has its own ZIP code.

From what I understand most any place with "North" in the name in Maryland is the same way. North is usually code for "higher property values" lest you think your doctor lives in the slums of Potomac. No, she lives in North Potomac, thankyouverymuch.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 08, 2007, 09:05:53 pm
Around here people are usually really good at pulleing this off. For example when AOL moved their HQ to Ashburn they decided they didn't like the name, so they claimed to be based in the fictional town of Dulles. So other businesses like Carmax followed suit, claiming to be in the fictional town of Dulles. Finally the post office caved and now has like 5 ZIP codes for a place that shouldn't even exist.

Didn't the Redskins pull that off back in the day by creating something like Raljon, MD?
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 08, 2007, 09:24:31 pm
Didn't the Redskins pull that off back in the day by creating something like Raljon, MD?

This is true. It didn't really take, though. When JKC announced the renaming the media talked a lot about how lame it was and how residents were resisting the new name. Although they had to use Raljon in chyrons &c if they didn't want to lose their press passes. Snyder switched it back to Landover after he bought the team, at the same time that he sold the naming rights to the field. At the time I remember hearing that he did that because the contract forbid any future team owner from renaming the stadium from JKC but I could just be remembering wrong.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 09, 2007, 07:01:30 am
the one with hookers in Charlotte is Trade and Tryon.

but, I don't know if I buy that... that's like The Downtown Corner. I cannot imagine that it wouldn't be noticed if you picked up a lady there.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Lister on July 09, 2007, 07:23:37 am
This is true. It didn't really take, though. When JKC announced the renaming the media talked a lot about how lame it was and how residents were resisting the new name. Although they had to use Raljon in chyrons &c if they didn't want to lose their press passes. Snyder switched it back to Landover after he bought the team, at the same time that he sold the naming rights to the field. At the time I remember hearing that he did that because the contract forbid any future team owner from renaming the stadium from JKC but I could just be remembering wrong.

Because of this rule, the Redskins still technically play in Jack Kent Cook Stadium.  They play ON Fedex Field, which is in the stadium and had no naming rights restrictions.  The press doesn't mention this, because if you want a press pass, you don't say Jack Kent Cook Stadium.

I always thought Snyder was a devious dick for doing this, but apparently his predecessors did the same thing with that Raljon whatever, so he's less of a dick in my eyes for that.  Dude still needs to stop running the Redskins like a fantasy team though...
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Lister on July 09, 2007, 07:24:15 am
Also: Atlanta sure does have a lot of Peachtree streets.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2007, 01:00:07 pm
Because of this rule, the Redskins still technically play in Jack Kent Cook Stadium.  They play ON Fedex Field, which is in the stadium and had no naming rights restrictions.  The press doesn't mention this, because if you want a press pass, you don't say Jack Kent Cook Stadium.

I always thought Snyder was a devious dick for doing this, but apparently his predecessors did the same thing with that Raljon whatever, so he's less of a dick in my eyes for that.  Dude still needs to stop running the Redskins like a fantasy team though...

Schools do this sort of thing all the time but so they can require that all of the names be used. For example my school had The Carl Smith Center, Home of David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium. Which was printed in its entirety on every ticket. Meaning actual seat and section numbers had to be in printed at like .3 pt to fit onto the ticket. Apparently the "center" is the stadium, field, and parking lot combined. Hell, I'm surprised the parking lots don't have their own name.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 09, 2007, 02:33:49 pm
Hell, I'm surprised the parking lots don't have their own name.

They will, just as soon as a donor decides it's sexy to associate the family name with a big square of gridded blacktop and high-mileage Chevy Cavaliers.

My addresses have all been fairly normal, except for the time I had an upstairs apartment and had to add "and a half" to the house number.  I thought this was pretty common, but it always got a laugh from phone operators when I had to give them my address and it made for some hijinks when I tried to fill in address fields online.  1/2? .5? And a half?  Those are too valid characters, dammit, or else Lou downstairs is gonna get my bills and highbrow literature periodicals.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 09, 2007, 02:44:43 pm
They will, just as soon as a donor decides it's sexy to associate the family name with a big square of gridded blacktop and high-mileage Chevy Cavaliers.

My addresses have all been fairly normal, except for the time I had an upstairs apartment and had to add "and a half" to the house number.  I thought this was pretty common, but it always got a laugh from phone operators when I had to give them my address and it made for some hijinks when I tried to fill in address fields online.  1/2? .5? And a half?  Those are too valid characters, dammit, or else Lou downstairs is gonna get my bills and highbrow literature periodicals.

From what I've seen while apartment shopping it's more common to see B instead of 1/2. Although that might require the original address to add an A.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: rabidambulance on July 09, 2007, 07:07:15 pm
I'm glad I'm the only one who took "Go sit on a fig!" the places it wasn't meant to go:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=figging

I like to have some reassurance that the world is still a little bit innocent.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 09, 2007, 07:47:25 pm
I'm glad I'm the only one who took "Go sit on a fig!" the places it wasn't meant to go:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=figging

I like to have some reassurance that the world is still a little bit innocent.

Something I did not need to know. 
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: kage23 on July 09, 2007, 07:55:28 pm
In most of Utah, where I used to live, the NS and the WE streets are numbered. The numbering scheme designates how far away an address is from a certain part of the city. My old address, 2538 W. 7380 So., indicates that I lived approximately 25.5 blocks west and not quite 74 blocks south of the landmark for the Salt Lake valley, which is, of course, the LDS Temple. Which is not the center of town.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: side_show on July 10, 2007, 02:26:53 pm
I used to live at 46 1/2 Knappen Ave.  I loved living at a half address.  It was the upper half.
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: jaydub on July 10, 2007, 10:06:06 pm
I used to live at 46 1/2 Knappen Ave.  I loved living at a half address.  It was the upper half.

Shouldn't that be, "the better half" ?
Title: Re: Go sit on a fig! 7/6/07
Post by: linnea on July 11, 2007, 04:14:54 am
Shouldn't that be, "the better half" ?

Heh... "that's what your WIFE SAID! Hurr hurr hurrrrrr."

Sorry, couldn't resist.