The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: slink on October 11, 2003, 02:37:28 am

Title: Wow...
Post by: slink on October 11, 2003, 02:37:28 am
Just watched Donnie Darko, after many recommendations, including my brothers flatmate saying he couldn't decide if it, or Fight Club took movie of that year.
And I can safely say it's a superb film.
I started off with expectations high, but no idea what it was going to be like, and throughout I got more and more engrossed. Literally it just grabbed me more all the way through.
I don't really know what to say, except it's kind of twisted, dark, funny, thoughtful and well worth it!
I definitely think it may have just taken a place on my top ten most enjoyable films of all time.

It almost has an air of American Beauty about it, just something I sensed in it, but it's way better (much as I loved American Beauty  -what with Kevin Spacey being great).
Title: Wow...
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2003, 03:35:03 am
Donnie Darko is on my short list of movies to rent soon.  I finally got Memento and regretted I hadn't seen it sooner.  My movie time is limited, so I like to make sure I'm watching something worthwhile.
Title: Wow...
Post by: andalucia on October 14, 2003, 12:46:25 am
Good for you... count me among that movie's obcessive fans.  Glad to see it's found an audience outside of teenage stoners.
Title: Wow...
Post by: jough on October 14, 2003, 01:24:21 am
I haven't seen it yet, mostly because those who recommended it to me were obsessive stoners.

So it's worth a go?  I'll have to add it to my NetFlix cue.
Title: Wow...
Post by: pubdoggy on October 14, 2003, 09:50:44 am
It truly is a sensational movie. Absolutely first rate. The website (http://www.donniedarko.com) is incredibly fantastic also (if you persevere and get all the passwords - you'll need an hour of down time). I've had many a long discussion with friends about the films meaning and so on, such is the depth of issues it touches on.

I honestly can't recommend it highly enough - great soundtrack, too!
Title: Wow...
Post by: jough on October 14, 2003, 12:25:06 pm
I saw that the poster one-sheet had some kind of freaky rabbit on it and I was expecting some weird puppet-inspired horror, so I stayed away.

Does anyone know of a film called "The Dark Backward"?  It's one of my favourites but I can never recommend it to anyone because it tends to freak people out - even those not so easily freaked.
Title: Wow...
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 14, 2003, 01:34:36 pm
Jodorowsky's Fando and Lis. Looks like it was filmed on another planet. Spellbinding in the "somebody done put the whammy on me" sense.
Title: Wow...
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2003, 01:47:31 pm
We own the DVD, and I love the "director's"commentary on the Infomercial.  Fighting over donuts.

The movie itself is great.  Very angst-y.  A nice mix of Todd Solenze style dark humour with drama.  If you like Darko then "Welcome to the Dollhouse" should be on your list of movies to see, and also "Happiness."
Title: Wow...
Post by: jough on October 14, 2003, 05:52:55 pm
Was Darko a Solondz film?  I'm pretty sure Todd Solondz did not write or direct Donnie Darko.

I guess if I weren't so busy/lazy I could go to IMDB to check that out.
Title: Wow...
Post by: slink on October 14, 2003, 06:08:24 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Was Darko a Solondz film?  I'm pretty sure Todd Solondz did not write or direct Donnie Darko.

I guess if I weren't so busy/lazy I could go to IMDB to check that out.


No, it was a debut by Richard Kelly (written/directed) and exececuted for around $4m, which I find extraordinary for the end product.
The benefit was most of the people who ended up working on it did it for free!
I'm looking forward to his next film - Knowing. Not due out til next year though.
Title: Wow...
Post by: side_show on October 16, 2003, 01:06:25 pm
I didn't mean that Darko was by Todd Solondz, but that they style of Kelly's writting is a lot like his.

This was Kelly's first film after all.
Title: Wow...
Post by: andalucia on October 17, 2003, 03:41:02 am
I think Richard Kelly's now working on a film of "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut, and I'm very excited by that, being a fan of them both.
Title: Wow...
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 03:48:45 am
That is terrific.  Cat's Cradle is my single favorite Vonnegut book.

See the Cat?
See the Cradle?
Title: Wow...
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 04:21:57 am
and the silver spoon?

Little Boy Blue and the Man on the Moon?

When you comin' home, son?

I don't know when.

We'll get together then (yeah)

You know we'll have a good time then...
Title: Wow...
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 10:57:26 am
He's not though.
Sorry.
He's working on a film called Knowing, about a, person, who finds a time capsule in a school, and it somehow then gets slightly weird.
Check the IMDB synopsis for more info.
Title: Wow...
Post by: andalucia on October 17, 2003, 11:25:37 am
As to redeem myself:

http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityDetail?symbol=CATCR
Title: Wow...
Post by: side_show on October 17, 2003, 01:19:49 pm
But wasn't the "Breakfast of Champions" movie a disapointment to y'all?  I found that both that and "Slaughterhouse Five" were nowhere near as enjoyable as the books.
Title: Wow...
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 01:45:07 pm
I haven't seen any of the Vonnegut movies. I TiVo'd Breakfast but never watched it. I meant to rent Mother Night while I worked at the video store but never got around to it. I don't think I even knew SV had a movie made.

I know there's been much talk of Sirens of Titan, especially after Jerry Garcia died (for some reason he bought the rights).
Title: Wow...
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 01:58:07 pm
I thought Breakfast of Champions was OK.  Bruce Willis was surprisingly good.  I just have my doubts as to how adaptible Breakfast was to film.  

Slaughterhouse was a good movie.  It was amazingly faithful to the book and I thought the guy who played Billy Pilgrim was very well cast.

It's been a long time since I saw Mother Night and I don't remember much about it (which, I suppose, is a comment in itself).  Such a dark, dark book.

Cat's Cradle could be a cool movie, though.
Title: Wow...
Post by: pubdoggy on October 17, 2003, 02:31:00 pm
Hey hey hey - here's some cross-thread shenanigans for y'all. The 17/10 stript concerns the Bubble Boy - and who played Bubble Boy in the recent film? Jake Gyllenhaal aka Donnie Darko.

Yes.

Now tell me Onstad isn't here somewhere.

Go on.
Title: Wow...
Post by: side_show on October 17, 2003, 07:39:50 pm
I remember my bestfriend and I coming out of the movie theatre after seeing Bubble Boy... We were both silent....it was very awkward...then in a mad gush we both admitted that we had actually like it a lot and found it really funny.  Both of us were too embarased to admit we had actually liked the move outload for fear of the fierce mockery of the other.
Title: Wow...
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 08:48:10 pm
You liked Bubble Boy?

*chortle*
Title: Wow...
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 09:49:26 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
As to redeem myself:

http://movies.hsx.com/servlet/SecurityDetail?symbol=CATCR


Doh. I'd only checked up on his next Directorial project... Sorry!
Title: Wow...
Post by: side_show on October 18, 2003, 12:30:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You liked Bubble Boy?

*chortle*


Yes.  This is the cross I must bare.