The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2007, 05:12:22 am

Title: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2007, 05:12:22 am
Check out this page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/507249438/).  Check out the pictures I added to the comments.  there is also a video, but it's hidden behind the password.  Anybody know how I can extract this video and save it to my hard drive?
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 12:45:30 am
Nobody?  Nothing?
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 01:20:56 am
I don't know what format the video is in but this Firefox extension might work: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 03:23:37 am
My solution would have been to film it as it plays with another recorder, so that is why I kept quiet.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: Lister on July 17, 2007, 10:10:52 am
The only way I know of to save video is to open your browser's cache, then go to the page with the video, then grab the file out of the cache.  But that is complicated and doesn't always work.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: side_show on July 17, 2007, 01:00:16 pm
I was going to make a joke about pressing a video tape against one of those crystal hand juicers... or Ron Popiel...or something... but instead I'm going to go back to bed.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 01:54:58 pm
I don't know what format the video is in but this Firefox extension might work: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2390

Ok, I did that, but it didn't help with my problem.  It is a nice thing however.  I downloaded a video from you tube to see if it works.  It does.

It's an avi video if that helps at all.  A complication to the problem is I am having some kind of problem with my plugins in firefox.  I can't get the video to play in fireforx.  It tells me I need a divx codec and click here.  I did that and it says that the page does not exist, but offers some divx downloads.  I downloaded the divx thing and installed it.  That didn't help.  It also had a big jigsaw puzzle piece where the player should be and told me I needed a plugin.  I clicked on the jigsaw piece and it told me I needed Windows Media Player 11 which I already have.  I found a plug in for firefox on the page though and downloaded that.  Now I don't get the puzzle piece any longer, but the player still isn't right.  Now it shows the controls for the player, but not the video screen.

It all works just fine in IE.  Can you do some of this magic using IE instead of firefox?
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 01:55:31 pm
The only way I know of to save video is to open your browser's cache, then go to the page with the video, then grab the file out of the cache.  But that is complicated and doesn't always work.

I tried that before I posted here.  In this case it doesn't work.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 01:56:24 pm
If you're using firefox, you can install the 'adblock' extension, which decorates videos with a 'block this' tab. You can then click on the tab and retrieve the url of the video, or at least the url of the embedded video player thingy. It may be just a video, or it may be some kind of flash player that streams the video behind the scenes, in which case you'd need to find a large nerd to solve the problem.

I've got the adblock extension, but it doesn't show up in this case because the video screen is missing.  It's as if it's already been blocked.  Hmmm, I wonder..
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 02:10:12 pm
I found this in the help section...

"  This page is designed for use with Windows OS and Internet Explorer. If you currently use an older version of this browser you may experience technical difficulties viewing the images and video recording. For your convenience, below we’ve added a link to Microsoft Explorer.

You may download a free copy of the latest version of this browser from here: Microsoft Internet Explorer.

If you don't see the video play after you click on the video icon, then you need to download and install the MP4 codec since the video clips are stored as MP4's. A link is provided at the top of the video screen or you may go to the DIVX web site directly at DIVX Player

If you still cannot see the images and video contact The walk in center at 1235 North Loop West, Suite 600, Houston, TX 77008  to schedule an appointment to view your images and video. You will need your Notice # and Pin # printed on the front of your notice. "
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 03:38:04 pm
In IE, I'd 'View Page Source' and try to find the URL of the video in there...

Or in Firefox you can highlight the area immediately around the video, right click and "View Selection Source" which gives you a lot less code to wade through.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 05:09:37 pm
Have you tried the Flashgot (http://flashgot.net/) Firefox extension (note: needs Flashget (http://www.flashget.com/en/download.htm))? It adds right-click option that says "Flashgot All" which basically gives you a list of any downloadable content in a given page, embedded videos included. Hope this helps.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 07:51:05 pm
In IE, I'd 'View Page Source' and try to find the URL of the video in there...

Maybe this, but I don't know how to decipher it.

Code: [Select]
<OBJECT id="viewer" codeBase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701"
type="application/x-oleobject" height="480" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows Media Player components..."
width="640" classid="CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6" VIEWASTEXT>
<PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="downloadVideo.aspx?rand=mtymicsu">

Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 08:37:47 pm
I would guess downloadVideo.aspx?rand=mtymicsu is a relative path to the video:

If the page you are looking at is: http://www.domain.com/boing/twang/bonk/page.aspx

then the video would be at: http://www.domain.com/boing/twang/bonk/downloadVideo.aspx?rand=mtymicsu


Yeah I figured as much, but I haven't a clue what those path names might be.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 08:55:07 pm
Ching chong wing wong.
Title: Re: Extracting Video
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 09:29:32 pm
It wasn't me.

Hypertext markup language, anyway, fucker. I think.