The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on July 17, 2007, 04:14:21 am

Title: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 17, 2007, 04:14:21 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07172007

Another plot advancer.

Beef's face in the first panel is really something, though. Someone oughta make a lolcat about that.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 04:29:45 am
I cracked up at that textbook.  I have that textbook.  Excuse me, I has that textbook.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 17, 2007, 05:07:36 am
Tell us more about your textbook, Paul. Is it part of your school curriculum?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2007, 05:11:42 am
that was a pretty good comic.

also, Molly trying to find a way to say what she needs to say.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: melack on July 17, 2007, 05:15:50 am
I totally missed the boat on the whole lolcat meme. What the hell is the difference between lolcat and o rly?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Drastic Action on July 17, 2007, 05:42:14 am
I made the mistake of taking a drink of water before reading the last panel.  It was very nearly a catastrophe.

The concept of this meme infecting McDonald's advertising, coupled with that... overly excited dude..  Plus, it is all proper-ized: LolCat DeLuxe.  I love it.

alt-text: Burger King -- "Has it your way"
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: linnea on July 17, 2007, 05:44:57 am
Oh god, I fuck*ng love this strip. Beef is FURIOUS. Molly still looks eerily like Huggins. The O'Reilly book about PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE is priceless.

A++++, WOULD READ AGAIN

P.S. Melack, I think that the "O RLY" was a meme that originated at SomethingAwful. Whenever someone made a really obvious post, they would post a graphic with "O RLY" on it. It pre-dates the lolcat meme.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: V-Adore on July 17, 2007, 06:38:50 am
I love the concept of an "Understanding PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE" book. Srsly.

Also, are we supposed to interpret the bottom panel as actually happening, or as Roast Beef's paranoid delusions? Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: nDed on July 17, 2007, 07:34:51 am
The Carefree Asian Banker is all sorts of weirding me out. Is that the demographic LolCat Deluxe burgers are aimed at? Also, associating the word 'cat' with any mass-marketed food product is probably not a good idea (unless you're racist and think Asian Bankers like to eat cat meat all day, everyday).

@Melack: I guess O RLY and associated memes tend to involve owls more than cats?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 17, 2007, 09:29:11 am
Is it by O'Reilly or the doctor whose name I choose not to remember to type here?  I thought the doctor.


Oh god, I fuck*ng love this strip. Beef is FURIOUS. Molly still looks eerily like Huggins. The O'Reilly book about PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE is priceless.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Lister on July 17, 2007, 09:58:55 am
They're all a subset of Image Macros.

Basically, an Image Macro is a giant saying (traditionally printed using the Impact font) on top of a picture which reinforces it.  To wit:

(http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1595/damnen5.jpg)

These are usually employed by the self-appointed "thread police," who try to enforce their will upon a chosen message board to counter their deep-seated insecurities.

Somewhat simultaneously, the image meme began gaining popularity -- the idea is that by repeating an amusing saying and/or providing variations on a theme, a poster can simulate wit and/or entertaining writing.  Generally someone will find something that strikes them as funny (Darth Vader's mistranslated caption: DO NOT WANT), and then others who also find it funny will apply the phrase to similar situations.  Essentially, these phrases become a simplified net language all their own, where tone and inflection are replaced by the image that backs up the known phrase.

(http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/870/donotwantpandavr7.jpg) (http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7308/dowant2he5.jpg)

The Oort cloud of memes and image macros seems to be 4chan.org, which is basically the most horrible place on the internet.  Somethingawful, Fark, Worth1000, and Ebaumsworld are also sources of these items.  I wouldn't recommend visiting these places.  Especially 4chan, where people often have gross-out contests with real-life images and stories, then laugh about it.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep, so you all get the crap that's rattling around in my head.  Sorry about that.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: dejavroom on July 17, 2007, 11:21:17 am
Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?

oooh miiieerr...
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: CortJstr on July 17, 2007, 01:16:07 pm
I love the concept of an "Understanding PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE" book. Srsly.

Also, are we supposed to interpret the bottom panel as actually happening, or as Roast Beef's paranoid delusions? Also, how long until someone connects this to Jaime the Science Friend, and all hell breaks loose?

Well the blubbering Ray thing happened for real so I'm thinking that this is actually happening.

Surprisingly enough it appears that nobody has tried to actually edit wikipedia to look like this.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 02:16:18 pm
Lister, did you write that O'Reilly book?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 17, 2007, 03:14:56 pm

The Oort cloud of memes and image macros seems to be 4chan.org, which is basically the most horrible place on the internet.  Somethingawful, Fark, Worth1000, and Ebaumsworld are also sources of these items.  I wouldn't recommend visiting these places.  Especially 4chan, where people often have gross-out contests with real-life images and stories, then laugh about it.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep, so you all get the crap that's rattling around in my head.  Sorry about that.

4chan, Somethingawful, Fark. Facebook, Myspace, Friendster. Livejournal. World of Warcraft Forums. Kingdom of Loathing forums. This board. Assbar. Slashdot. YTMND. There is too much Internet. I simply can't handle it all. How can you people start and keep track of all those threads? Most of you are gainfully employed. There is no way you can actually read through all of these threads (Science and Nature, Sports, whatever). How is it done? I'm exhausted. I am simply unable to handle that much Internet.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2007, 04:05:38 pm
4chan, Somethingawful, Fark. Facebook, Myspace, Friendster. Livejournal. World of Warcraft Forums. Kingdom of Loathing forums. This board. Assbar. Slashdot. YTMND. There is too much Internet. I simply can't handle it all. How can you people start and keep track of all those threads? Most of you are gainfully employed. There is no way you can actually read through all of these threads (Science and Nature, Sports, whatever). How is it done? I'm exhausted. I am simply unable to handle that much Internet.

Wuss.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2007, 04:37:53 pm
I am pretty much going to make a LOL-Danielle, with danielle being a friend from highschool. The text will read "Im in ur City-- Teachin ur sistr."

I do not know why this situation screamed "lol-image" to me.

Also: I am not sure why I knew this term, but lolicons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolicon) are dissimilar and creepy.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Ben-San on July 17, 2007, 05:51:48 pm
4chan, Somethingawful, Fark. Facebook, Myspace, Friendster. Livejournal. World of Warcraft Forums. Kingdom of Loathing forums. This board. Assbar. Slashdot. YTMND. There is too much Internet. I simply can't handle it all. How can you people start and keep track of all those threads? Most of you are gainfully employed. There is no way you can actually read through all of these threads (Science and Nature, Sports, whatever). How is it done? I'm exhausted. I am simply unable to handle that much Internet.

The secret is to bear in mind that 99+% of the Internet, like the rest of the world, consists of people talking to someone other than you. The only difference is that on the Internet many more of these conversations are happening within your "hearing" range.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: wombat on July 17, 2007, 06:10:55 pm
Ben! Don't be such a stranger!

The last two panels of this comic made me absurdly happy.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Golfhaus on July 18, 2007, 12:33:57 am
The Wikipedia entry is wrong. An article name can not start with a lowercase letter due to technical limitations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_%28technical_restrictions%29#Lower_case_first_letter).

Other than that, though, this strip was effin awwwwwsum. I laughed, and then I laughed again.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: theinevitable on July 18, 2007, 01:22:20 am
I...

I just walked in on my mom looking at PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE. She said "aren't these supposed to be funny? these are just stupid. Where are the funny ones?"
I could not tell her where to find the funny ones. Is there some central depository of clever ones?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: smick on July 18, 2007, 02:04:16 am
4chan, Somethingawful, Fark. Facebook, Myspace, Friendster. Livejournal. World of Warcraft Forums. Kingdom of Loathing forums. This board. Assbar. Slashdot. YTMND. There is too much Internet. I simply can't handle it all. How can you people start and keep track of all those threads? Most of you are gainfully employed. There is no way you can actually read through all of these threads (Science and Nature, Sports, whatever). How is it done? I'm exhausted. I am simply unable to handle that much Internet.

That's what I use IRC for.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: pmcd9 on July 18, 2007, 05:57:12 am
I...

I just walked in on my mom looking at PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE. She said "aren't these supposed to be funny? these are just stupid. Where are the funny ones?"
I could not tell her where to find the funny ones. Is there some central depository of clever ones?

You're mother is wrong to suppose that there are actual "funny ones."
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: smick on July 18, 2007, 08:22:49 am
I'm pretty partial to one that has a small kitten claiming that he baked you a cookie, but then instead of giving it to you, ate it.

It's funny because the small kitten is stupid and mispronounces the words in a cute manner, like a 3 or 4 year old.  I have yet to deal with the inability for a kitten to, at his unadvanced age, understand the nuances of baked goods.

I will not even begin on my skepticism on the kittens ability to operate an oven, and crack eggs.

All this aside, however, "ated it" or "eated it" slays me every time.  Beyond that, the cat pidgin bothers me.

In re: this strip.  I enjoy the uplifting nature of the phrase "You CAN has cheezburger!"
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: oball on July 18, 2007, 10:55:30 am
This (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/womancock.jpg) is the funniest lolcat I've ever seen, although it was made for a forum thread where people were taking the piss out of PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 18, 2007, 12:11:39 pm
That's what I use IRC for.

Toast and cj_: They look at the Internet so you don't have to.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: smick on July 18, 2007, 12:23:35 pm
Toast and cj_: They look at the Internet so you don't have to.

Exactly!
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 18, 2007, 01:11:22 pm
(http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1153692674158.jpg)
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: wombat on July 18, 2007, 02:26:52 pm
Confession: I check that I Can Has Cheezeburger site every day and there is at least one a day that I think is funny.

Are you all not my friend anymore?
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 18, 2007, 03:07:05 pm
Confession: I check that I Can Has Cheezeburger site every day and there is at least one a day that I think is funny.

Are you all not my friend anymore?

We were never your friend, Wombat.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 18, 2007, 03:33:49 pm
Confession: I check that I Can Has Cheezeburger site every day and there is at least one a day that I think is funny.

Are you all not my friend anymore?

I'm your friend.  I have it on my RSS feeds.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: ImpyChick on July 18, 2007, 03:43:51 pm
In Soviet Russia, cheezburger can has YOU!
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: AugustWest on July 18, 2007, 03:58:38 pm
When come back, bring cheezburger

All your cheezburger are belong to us!
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: linnea on July 28, 2007, 03:31:38 am
I think this one is hell of awesome.

(http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/now-with-added-kitteh.jpg)
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: keithcozz on August 03, 2007, 12:40:46 am
Lister has unwittingly posted the photograph of the "huge sassy black lady" that is to point to a portrait of Beef and exclaim "FUCK that guy!"
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: side_show on August 03, 2007, 01:52:22 am
Hey, don't you talk about my momma!
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: linnea on August 03, 2007, 09:50:40 pm
Lister, that was a beautiful synopsis of the image macro phenomenon and the self appointed thread police. Also, that picture of the lady captioned "DAMN" is awesome.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 15, 2007, 09:08:50 pm
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A LOLCAT
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Wikipedia-lolcat.jpg)

WITH I HAS A BUCKET
(http://www.ihasabucket.com/images/walrus_bucket.jpg)

WHY FOLKS YOU GET THIS
(http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/images/iminurtundra.jpg)
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Toaster on August 16, 2007, 06:54:07 pm
Just found this:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/lolcode.jpg (http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/lolcode.jpg)
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: linnea on August 16, 2007, 08:12:56 pm
Bobby, I hate you for posting the seal clubbing photo.

Anyway, this is not a lolchinchilla but it's god damned cute. Someone should make a lolchin out of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChinSquash.jpg
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2007, 03:20:05 pm
Bobby, I hate you for posting the seal clubbing photo.

Anyway, this is not a lolchinchilla but it's god damned cute. Someone should make a lolchin out of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ChinSquash.jpg

You hate me for many reasons.

(http://andrew.loewer.name/own3d/seal.jpg)

(http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a472/a472_bm.gif)
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2007, 05:07:42 pm
This reminds me, I had a lazy social studies teacher who decided to spend three weeks showing us a documentary series about the seal hunt called "Sea of Slaughter" which included such precious scenes and seals being clubbed to death while trying to protect their young (also clubbed to death), several seals being skinned alive, and just a series of brutalities too horrible to get into.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2007, 05:27:17 pm
I know that it is a lazy way to change the world, but I want to die and take a whole lot of seal-clubbing or whale-grenading motherfuckers with me.

Or, you know, some of the countless people who do this to Human People, in terms of child soldiers and such. those people make me start believing in guns.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2007, 05:33:37 pm
I know that it is a lazy way to change the world, but I want to die and take a whole lot of seal-clubbing or whale-grenading motherfuckers with me.

Or, you know, some of the countless people who do this to Human People, in terms of child soldiers and such. those people make me start believing in guns.

Seal culling is necessary to preserve the world giraffe supply.

Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: jaydub on August 17, 2007, 06:33:25 pm
Seal culling is necessary to preserve the world giraffe supply.

I have heard that theory advanced quite a bit in terms of Pacific Sea Otters and abalone.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2007, 09:46:12 pm
Seal culling is necessary to preserve the world giraffe supply.



Actually, I'm pretty sure human culling would do the same thing for preserving the world giraffe supply.  And really, clubbing club kids is an important aspect of maintaining the mystical balance of nature.

If the conversation flows naturally, I will later return to this thread to merge it with the Homicide thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3877.msg99187.html#new).
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: jough on August 18, 2007, 02:41:55 am
If the seals would just stop being so damned delicious I'm sure people would stop clubbing them.
Title: Re: You CAN has cheezburger! 7/17/07
Post by: jay-ell on August 18, 2007, 03:11:05 am
If the seals would just stop being so damned delicious I'm sure people would stop clubbing them.

Oh man.  I re-read the Albert giraffe (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/giraffe/index.html) entry on Crime Library today.  (See also the Homicide Thread.)  This was sort of his rationale for eating small children. 

Ugh.  If these threads get merged, I'm locking them.