The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on July 17, 2007, 12:57:33 pm

Title: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: side_show on July 17, 2007, 12:57:33 pm
...is that when I have one, I have no motivation to address this problem by doing anything sensible.   Like drinking some water.   

Also, I feel way too old.

Also, a painter is coming to deal with some (unrelated) nicks in the ceiling, so I have to take off last night's clothes and put on new clothes.  He is a painter... do I really care if I'm all mussed up?  No.  Not really.  Maybe last nights clothes will do.

I was planning on visiting an art gallery today, but, maybe... sleep?

Great night on a patio with an old friend though.  It was worth it.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 17, 2007, 02:13:36 pm
The best thing for a hangover is a big ol bowl of pho (aka Vietnamese beef noodle soup).

Tylenol with codeine is pretty good too.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 17, 2007, 02:44:40 pm
Hangovers suuuuuuck, but I'm preachin' to the choir here. Usually a cup of yogurt and copious amounts of Gatorade will do the trick. Of course, the best way to pink up after a bender is an IV with a medium drip for about a litre of normal saline or LR, and huffing some oxygen will also make you feel better.

If your stomach can handle actual real food, I recommend about half a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Daz, or maybe some delicious eggs and home fries. Hangover food is almost always non-healthy, but it sure makes you feel better.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: theinevitable on July 17, 2007, 04:40:56 pm
the whole hangover thing... is such a mystery to me. It seems so random and thoughtless. Some people can drink a ton, and be fine. Others drink a few drinks, and suffer. I don't get it. There are so many "remedies," but I don't even... they all seem to be addressing completely different things?

I will not ruin this thread, or my credibility, by saying whether or not I have ever had a hangover.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 17, 2007, 05:51:41 pm
You all know the best thing for a hangover is to get right back on that hoss.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: AugustWest on July 17, 2007, 07:05:28 pm
You all know the best thing for a hangover is to get right back on that hoss.

Hair of the dog....
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: pmcd9 on July 17, 2007, 09:58:08 pm
Now you're messing with a son of a bitch.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 17, 2007, 11:02:00 pm
Theinev, you know that alcohol is a toxin and not only does it force your liver to work overtime to clear your body, it also dehydrates you like a mofo. The best thing to do before you pass out for the night is to drink a pint or two of some Gatorade (or at least some water), and take a multivitamin.

The next day, all you can do is damage control. It's like having the flu, but worse because you've done it to yourself.

Nabu: Eggs B and a Bloody, dogg.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 18, 2007, 12:22:44 am
Inev, just say no.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 18, 2007, 01:49:58 am
That one's good. Implemented it on the cruise after a night of ripping german riesling.

Jesus, Ash! That shit packs a hell of a wallop the morning after.  Well, I guess all wine does.

Inev, just say no.

Seconded. Treasure your liver (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32679), lest she spurn you and leave for greener pastures. You'd be fucked without her, son.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: smick on July 18, 2007, 02:03:04 am
The quickest hangover cure I've found is the McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder.  Grease bomb the funk from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

(I'm a little sad that I no longer have that option open to me.  Hangovers scoff at Boca burgers, and they're right to.)
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: side_show on July 18, 2007, 02:12:45 am
Sheesh... the last time I had a hangover I posted here too.  That is a thing I do, apparently.

After a nap, two liters of water, some frozen yogurt, flax-tortillas and salsa, a dinner of salmon, spinach and tomatoes a-top pasta, I still feel it a bit, but I'm much better.  I did consider the "hair o' the dog" road, as I'd poured myself a shot that I never drank, which still sat on the counter when I awoke this morning, but my head said "no!" quiet loudly to the idea of putting anything in my mouth until around noon.  I've always wanted to try the Pho cure, but there aren't any places that serve it within walking distance. 

I think maybe it's that I only drink to excess two or three times a year now that causes it to be so bad... lacking the tolerance and all that.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: melack on July 18, 2007, 02:32:20 am
I had a vicious hangover this past week that was the result of drinking a bit too much Jameson on the last night of a camping trip on the coast. Fortunately, on the way back to civilization we stopped at a greaseball of a diner and I loaded up on the biggest plate of country fried steak and eggs a dude has ever laid eyes on. It was pretty much an instant cure.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 18, 2007, 06:30:04 pm
This product: http://www.nohangonline.com/ (http://www.nohangonline.com/) works like magic, you just have to take it during the drinking and not after the damage has been done. I dont know what it is or how it works, but i swear by it.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: smick on July 18, 2007, 11:12:31 pm
These days I prevent hangovers by drinking half a beer and then falling asleep. 

Do you think you can defeat my Opossum-Style Drink-Fu?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 19, 2007, 02:17:11 am
This product: http://www.nohangonline.com/ (http://www.nohangonline.com/) works like magic, you just have to take it during the drinking and not after the damage has been done. I dont know what it is or how it works, but i swear by it.

Where do you buy it? It says that it contains "beefsteak plant". Do they have it at gas stations? They say they have a "free" trial pack for $5. Five dollars! That's a lot of dang money. I wonder how it works. Also, I'm not sure how old you are, but you probably have the advantage of youth on your side. I'd like to give it a try if you think that it works.

Quote from: some bodybuilding site since the nohang site didn't show ingredients
Proprietary Blend: 840mg
-Chinese giant hyssop (Perilla frutescenes) (leaf)
-Beefsteak plant (Agastache rugosa) (leaf)
-Taurine

Other Ingredients:
Microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, sodium lauryl sulfate, titanium dioxide, gelatin, water.

Directions: Adults age 21 and over, take 2 capsules before you start drinking or with your first couple of drinks.

Warnings: Do not exceed two capsules per 24 hour period. do not take this product without first consulting a health professional if you have a serious medical condition or are taking any prescription medications. this product is not intended for women that are pregnant or nursing a baby. this product is not intended for personunder the age of 18. keep out of the reach of children.

Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: side_show on July 19, 2007, 02:35:44 am
Quote
Warnings: ...this product is not intended for women that are pregnant or nursing a baby.

So what, pregnant women just have to suffer through their hangovers?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 19, 2007, 02:40:14 am
I shaved my dog today. A sack full of hair o' the dog to whoever wants it.

Edit: might be a little wet from the rain.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: melack on July 19, 2007, 04:04:08 am
I would be very interested in seeing how much money you could get from that on eBay.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 19, 2007, 11:37:20 am
Where do you buy it? It says that it contains "beefsteak plant". Do they have it at gas stations? They say they have a "free" trial pack for $5. Five dollars! That's a lot of dang money. I wonder how it works. Also, I'm not sure how old you are, but you probably have the advantage of youth on your side. I'd like to give it a try if you think that it works.



yea, the workings of the ingredient mix remain a mystery to me. They sell it at "Vitamin Shoppe" or through that website. You might have to ask for it, sometimes they hide it behind the counter (!?). Its in a green and black 2 pill package, i forget how much it costs. give it a spin, if you can find it i guess.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 19, 2007, 02:19:07 pm
I shaved my dog today. A sack full of hair o' the dog to whoever wants it.

For a brief, horrifying moment, I thought this said "I shaved my sack today."
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 19, 2007, 02:26:59 pm
For one shining moment, you mean?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: dejavroom on July 19, 2007, 05:03:49 pm
Since I discovered the "drinking water along with the alcohol" trick I have never experienced hangovers anymore. I also cannot say that I have been really drunk-drunk since, which seems... suitably stupid, since I abhor the taste of alcohol and use it only for the efects...

As for taking care of your liver, I cannot reinforce that enough. A friend of mine used to really like drinking (he used to just really, really like drinking) - he wasn't a bum or a drunkard, but coupled with his predisposition to enjoy alcohol he also had a central nervous system which was a tough bitch to mellow - usually requiring ugly amounts of high-proof spirits to get him to the giggle threshold... Uhm, long story short his liver won't regenerate anymore, which is... deadly?, and he's only 21 years old, so that's quite a long life of pussycuddling your liver like a fragile baby seal. Who would want to keep on living like that, anyway?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 19, 2007, 06:41:08 pm
I don't get headache hangovers.

Oh, I get stomach hangovers. I get AWFUL stomach hangovers.

But nothing in the headular region. I'm not sure why this is.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: pmcd9 on July 19, 2007, 09:07:01 pm
They're having a benefit over at my watering hole this weekend for Uncle John Turner to raise money for a liver transplant.  Uncle John Turner played in Johnny Winter's band back in the day.  Dude played at Woodstock.  Now his liver is dead and soon he will too if he don't get that transplant.

Take care of your liver is what I am trying to say.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 19, 2007, 10:14:58 pm
They're having a benefit over at my watering hole this weekend for Uncle John Turner to raise money for a liver transplant.  Uncle John Turner played in Johnny Winter's band back in the day.  Dude played at Woodstock.  Now his liver is dead and soon he will too if he don't get that transplant.

Take care of your liver is what I am trying to say.

As for taking care of your liver, I cannot reinforce that enough. A friend of mine used to really like drinking (he used to just really, really like drinking) - he wasn't a bum or a drunkard, but coupled with his predisposition to enjoy alcohol he also had a central nervous system which was a tough bitch to mellow - usually requiring ugly amounts of high-proof spirits to get him to the giggle threshold... Uhm, long story short his liver won't regenerate anymore, which is... deadly?, and he's only 21 years old, so that's quite a long life of pussycuddling your liver like a fragile baby seal. Who would want to keep on living like that, anyway?

Man. Unfortunately we don't live in a Gibsonesque world where you can just nip on over to some black market clinic in Chiba prefecture and get a new one.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Ben-San on July 19, 2007, 10:39:01 pm
Man. Unfortunately we don't live in a Gibsonesque world where you can just nip on over to some black market clinic in Chiba prefecture and get a new one.

Achewood is Gibsonesque? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07012003)
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 20, 2007, 03:10:21 am
Achewood is Gibsonesque? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07012003)

Heh. That's a new liver, but that's not a black market clinic in Chiba, and Beef is not Case.

Touche, though.



Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2007, 03:10:54 am
Man. Unfortunately we don't live in a Gibsonesque world where you can just nip on over to some black market clinic in Chiba prefecture and get a new one.

Yeah, don't you hate it when you get a new liver but it has nanobeads implanted in it that are programmed to release a cutting edge neurotoxin and the only way you can get the dang antidote is to take down a psychotic AI?

I know I hate it when that happens.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2007, 06:54:29 am
Sometimes it makes me feel strange to realize that I am living in, and will presumably live in for the rest of my life, years that have generally been described as cyberdystopias in SF. It struck me that 2020, one of the years that seemed to be nearly synonymous with "evil corporations sending programs to kill you through the Internet" back in my misspent youth, is only 13 years away, and that unless we get some evil AI action going tout suite, it's going to be pretty dang normal. I shouldn't feel disappointed, should I?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 20, 2007, 09:02:36 am
I'm building a lovely hangover as we speak.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: wombat on July 20, 2007, 11:51:28 am
I shouldn't feel disappointed, should I?

Probably not. I was pretty OK with the way 1984 turned out. It seemed just as well.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: dejavroom on July 20, 2007, 12:10:26 pm
However, you might want to avoid getting too pumped up for 2012...
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 20, 2007, 03:04:36 pm
I'm building a lovely hangover as we speak.

Ahh, Nabu. Throwing down in the name of Science.

Anyway, it's like 90 degrees in here. I'm at my dad's house for the day, whence I have been assigned to hang out all day. It's 9:12 AM. I'm so pissed about being awake at this time of the day that I'm halfway in the bag with drinking shitty Coors Lite that my dad likes. He and my stepmom are both at work. I have to wait for the air conditioning repair guy instead of being at home in my cosy, huuuuge bed with tons of AC and my two sweet, bratty cats. My funemployment is being interrupted by this familial responsibility. They are also having a refrigerator delivered, for which I must also be responsible.

I'm also hungry. They have some stale French bread. I can't order out anywhere because the delivery places don't open until 11AM. Curses.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: jaydub on July 20, 2007, 04:07:48 pm
The guy reneges on a job for you and yet you still show up for repairman-sitting? Thats some powerful karma you're building, missy.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: AugustWest on July 20, 2007, 04:29:02 pm
Ahh, Nabu. Throwing down in the name of Science.

Anyway, it's like 90 degrees in here. I'm at my dad's house for the day, whence I have been assigned to hang out all day. It's 9:12 AM. I'm so pissed about being awake at this time of the day that I'm halfway in the bag with drinking shitty Coors Lite that my dad likes. He and my stepmom are both at work. I have to wait for the air conditioning repair guy instead of being at home in my cosy, huuuuge bed with tons of AC and my two sweet, bratty cats. My funemployment is being interrupted by this familial responsibility. They are also having a refrigerator delivered, for which I must also be responsible.

I'm also hungry. They have some stale French bread. I can't order out anywhere because the delivery places don't open until 11AM. Curses.

Drinking Coors Light at 9 a.m.?  What's next?  Following the Larry the Cable Guy tour around the country?  Confederate flag tattoos? 
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: side_show on July 20, 2007, 04:37:10 pm
Oh!  Linnea, get this one! (http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/rebel_flag_reaper.jpg).  It's horrible and confusing!
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: linnea on July 20, 2007, 05:06:20 pm
The guy reneges on a job for you and yet you still show up for repairman-sitting? Thats some powerful karma you're building, missy.

I thought I already posted a reply to this? Weird. Anyway, I'll repost.

Yeah, what can you do. He claims that he'll loan me 2 grand for a down payment on a vehicle. Who knows if he'll actually pay out. I figure that he's working on negative karma points.

Drinking Coors Light at 9 a.m.?  What's next?  Following the Larry the Cable Guy tour around the country?  Confederate flag tattoos? 

Don't worry, this is a one-time deal. I won't become some crazy, methed out redneck ho.

Oh!  Linnea, get this one! (http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/rebel_flag_reaper.jpg).  It's horrible and confusing!

Oh gaaaaaahh!!! That's horrifying. You delivered on this one, smells. Damn.

**EDIT: I think I'll get this one:
(http://innovative-idea.com/images/large/ii5420.gif)
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: V-Adore on July 20, 2007, 07:40:50 pm
I totally parsed that as "This Property Protected By RABIES," which is really just as appropriate for a Confederate-flag tattoo.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 20, 2007, 08:13:45 pm
Get this one, (http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIS-REBEL-FLAG-WEARING-COWBOY-HAT-LARGE-36-X-60_W0QQitemZ160139201710QQihZ006QQcategoryZ433QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting) or this one. (http://www.theknifeauction.com/item.php?id=38978&PHPAUCTIONXL_SESSION=6e27ca46d6b1cc1a32f72e2ed4ff9f00) Why do so many of these exist?

Not long from now, both those links will be toast, but I'm not going to save the pictures and waste any space on them.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: side_show on July 20, 2007, 08:18:11 pm
Is Elvis an uber hero to the confederate folk for appropriating black music?  Like, on a subconscious level?
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 20, 2007, 08:44:18 pm
Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jym-RtHHG0s)
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: Nabubrush on July 23, 2007, 04:40:46 pm
I'll always be here for you, boss.
Title: Re: The problem with hangovers...
Post by: theinevitable on July 23, 2007, 06:47:30 pm
not gonna lie. I love the shit out of that song.

also: I cannot dance.