The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Pedro Picasso on July 17, 2007, 06:34:35 pm
-
I haven't posted for a while, so I feel like a bit of a shill, but jl's laptop is not near her fingers, and I have GOT to tell you guys about this.
In four days and some hours, I'm going to be sitting in a theatre for two hours with a bunch of strangers watching other strangers say words that I wrote. It's a play!
Stone Goddess, a new play by Adrian P. Dunston (http://dnafilmworks.com/stonegoddess)
In college I wrote this one-act, and I've since revised and expanded it into a full length play. My buddy from college Tim Aldrich entered it into the DC Fringe Festival where it was accepted, and will be running this weekend and next under Tim's direction. Personally, I'm excited as all heck.
It's called Stone Goddess and it's about a man who created a talking computer named Melissa as a child. As he grew up she was his only friend, and when he was in college he realized he was in love with her, and abandoned her in shame. Now that he has gotten his life together, he is forced to work with her again, and his life again begins to fall apart. It's sad, and funny, and nerdy, and I think you guys'd like it a lot. (Yeah, I said "guys'd".) Best of all, many of the lines spoken in the play are witty things my charming and talented wife has said (and I stole). So if you ever wanted a chance to see a couple of professional actresses playing aspects of jldunston, this is it.
I know only a few of you are within spitting distance of DC, but I hope at least one or two Acheheads can make it out. (Do the kids still say "achehead" these days?) I'll post and let everybody else know how it went.
If there are reviews, and I think there will be, I'll send them out. I expect they will be somewhere between
"Playwright deserves new kind of Nobel Prize invented simply to describe how magnificent he is."
and
"Repugnant genre play written by freshman author with sophomoric idea of dialogue, plot, and the human condition saved only by the clearly marked exits in theatre."
Either way, you'll hear about it. If you would like to go, dates and tickets are at the link above. The theatre only seats 70, so I'd buy them in advance.
-
That's awesome. Sadly I'll be grandma-sitting that week and can't leave her alone long enough to get into DC for a play. Life is hard.
-
Excellent! Congratulations.
What are the odds that we'd have two playwriters herein?
-
Intriguing. We have a lot of crap going on the next couple weekends, but I'll have to see if we can fit it in.
-
That's fantastic, all the best mate. The plot sounds a right gem.
-
"Repugnant genre play written by freshman author with sophomoric idea of dialogue, plot, and the human condition saved only by the clearly marked exits in theatre."
If you were any kind of writer, you'd have fit junior and senior in there. Bah.
-
Wow, this is really cool, but I will probably not go because I am unbelievably lame.
-
Pedro said I should make a rare appearance to poke at Wombat and make her go.
*poke*
Also, I have been away for an unbelievably long time because I have been busy with three things. They are: (1) writing my MA thesis, (2) raising the child we have, and (2) making another one (due 1/29/08).
I'm available on AIM sometimes (jldunston) for your chatting pleasure.
Also, go see my husband's play. \
Who's the other playwright?
-
Pedro said I should make a rare appearance to poke at Wombat and make her go.
*poke*
Also, I have been away for an unbelievably long time because I have been busy with three things. They are: (1) writing my MA thesis, (2) raising the child we have, and (2) making another one (due 1/29/08).
I'm available on AIM sometimes (jldunston) for your chatting pleasure.
Also, go see my husband's play. \
Who's the other playwright?
Wait, wasn't the first kid "paid for" with the Masters? What's the charge for kid #2?
Side_show is all up the the theatre world, including writing plays.
-
Ah, yes! The likeliest suspect.
Kid #2 means Pedro owes me a Ph.D. I'll have to accept delayed payment in this case I think.
Kid #3 = ferrari
-
Stacey has been hogging the education upgrades in my family. She's gotten a M.Ed and an Administrative Credential, while I'm still a lowly B.S. I'd like to get a PhD, but her education has a shorter ROI cycle. I've got to get moving on some prerequisite classes now, before she decides I've ceded the floor.
-
I'll check out the travelling show when it comes to Chicago.
Steppenwolf, maybe?
-
I realize that I/we kind of suck for not coming out for this (at least, as far as I know, no DC area Acheheads attended, please correct me if I'm wrong). But I'm curious, how did it go?
-
We looked up the website for the play and left the window open on my desktop for a week and talked about going many times. That's closer than we've gotten to going to anything in months. It's the best I could do.
-
We looked up the website for the play and left the window open on my desktop for a week and talked about going many times.
I love you so much.
-
Oh! It went very, very well. I would rather Pedro told you about it, I'll see if he can find some time to write after we get the 'net hooked up at the new house on Monday.
Opening night was rocky, and the show didn't get officially reviewed, but Pedro found a few blog entries and they were universally flattering. And he was pleased with the director's interpretation of most things, so I guess that's the important part.
-
I love you so much.
Aw shucks.
I am glad it went well JL, and sorry I was too lame to go, even though some people find that fact inexplicably appealing.
-
Aw shucks.
I am glad it went well JL, and sorry I was too lame to go, even though some people find that fact inexplicably appealing.
I just like that you left it up on your computer for a week and still could not pull it off. That's basically a lot like me.
-
There was only one night that week we could go, and we couldn't get a babysitter on short notice.