The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: gnpaaron on October 13, 2003, 04:24:29 am

Title: Beef's Dream of Corpulance (10-13-03)
Post by: gnpaaron on October 13, 2003, 04:24:29 am
Back to the wierd, punchlineless Achewood of old!

Hoorj.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10132003).
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: V-Adore on October 13, 2003, 04:39:00 am
The best thing about this is that this is not particularly weird as dreams go; it's the kind of dream I could entirely see Beef having.

Also, Ray does jump with hella style. Can't blame him for bragging.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 05:25:47 am
I like how reality (Ray's asking him about salmon) integrates itself into the dream, much as if you were watching television and fell asleep in front of it and started dreaming of knives that just FALL through onions and cut tomatoes so thin you can see through them.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 13, 2003, 07:33:10 am
DO  YOU WANT SOME FRITTATTA??!!

I love this strip. Someone mentioned last week that one of the funniest things in these strips is the little 'sound effects' like the 'oof' when Ray lands. Those little touches always put it over the top for me, too.

I wonder how often those background strips will run? Not my favorite but would make good fill for those inevitable times when the true funny isn't coming.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 08:44:04 am
My new favourite part of this strip is that Ray says "Hoo-Ah" to Beef à la Pacino in Scent of a Woman.

Beautiful.  There was a time in 1993 when I must've said "Hoo-ahhhhhhh!" about ninety times per day.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: starlight on October 13, 2003, 11:40:30 am
The strip reminded me a lot about an old friend who used to always say, "watch me jump over [insert object here; table, vacuum cleaner, ironing board, chair, counter between kitchen and living room; this latter one was the scariest cause he barely made it].".

It would've been hella funny if dream Beef had been his competition ;D
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: Noah on October 13, 2003, 12:53:19 pm
Has Beef ever dreamed in BED? Maybe he's narcoleptic...
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: Anarchy_Bowling on October 13, 2003, 02:20:31 pm
It was a very jordanesque leap.  If only there were more steps to it for an animation.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2003, 02:47:27 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
Has Beef ever dreamed in BED? Maybe he's narcoleptic...


Dude, he's a programmer.  They don't sleep in beds.  

Just ask Jough.  He's probably still up...
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: slink on October 13, 2003, 03:16:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"

There was a time in 1993 when I must've said "Hoo-ahhhhhhh!" about ninety times per day.


But never with the style Pacino managed I'm guessing?

I loved this strip. Another that my mom got in touch with me to say how good it was.
Punchlineless.... Why I oughta...
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: CortJstr on October 13, 2003, 03:27:17 pm
The thing is, if Beef just started floating in midair in "real life" I think Ray would take it pretty much in stride just like the strip. Although he'd probably start looking for some kind of business opportunity with it.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: palm trees on October 13, 2003, 03:54:43 pm
yeah it made me laugh, but nothing is ever gonna beat teodor's dream about ray.
fuck*ng mint.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 03:59:20 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"

There was a time in 1993 when I must've said "Hoo-ahhhhhhh!" about ninety times per day.


But never with the style Pacino managed I'm guessing?


Bite your tongue, infidel.   Pacino ain't got nothin' on me.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 04:00:57 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Dude, he's a programmer.  They don't sleep in beds.  

Just ask Jough.  He's probably still up...


I'm not a programmer, but writers don't sleep in beds either.  Nor do web designers.

And I did actually sleep for two hours this morning.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2003, 04:25:48 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "jldunston"
Dude, he's a programmer.  They don't sleep in beds.  

Just ask Jough.  He's probably still up...


I'm not a programmer, but writers don't sleep in beds either.  Nor do web designers.

And I did actually sleep for two hours this morning.


You may not be a programmer, but you're still a computer...guy...thingie.  It's all related.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: jough on October 13, 2003, 04:43:40 pm
It's true.  I am a slave to the machine.  And the women.  And that high-class poet salary.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: V-Adore on October 13, 2003, 06:03:16 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The thing is, if Beef just started floating in midair in "real life" I think Ray would take it pretty much in stride just like the strip. Although he'd probably start looking for some kind of business opportunity with it.

Yeah, I think it wouldn't startle Ray any more than anything else has. Beef spent some time on the moon, has had near-death cybernetic experiences three times now, and has had the only bad marijuana trip in recorded history; levitating would just be easy.

Of course, I would be able to say more if Onstad would ever assemble a final cosmology and world explanation for Achewood RAR RAR MORE PRIMERS PLEASE also more Lyle.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2003, 07:33:36 pm
I just like the whole dreamy/surreal nature of it.  It has that internal logic that dreams do which doesn't translate to the waking world.  In dreams it's perfectly reasonable to challenge someone to a jumping over the log contest.

Also, in the first panel Beef appears to be smoking.  My guess would be that Ray would smoke menthols (Belair or Benson and Hedges) while Beef would be more like Marlboro Lights (or Ultra lights).
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: V-Adore on October 13, 2003, 08:35:00 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I just like the whole dreamy/surreal nature of it.  It has that internal logic that dreams do which doesn't translate to the waking world.  In dreams it's perfectly reasonable to challenge someone to a jumping over the log contest.

And it's perfectly reasonable, in both dream-logic and Beef-logic, for Ray to be so ecstatic about his incredible log-jumping style. It says something about poor Beef that, even in his dreams, Ray feels the constant need to assert his dominance over Beef, even with something as trivial as log-jumping.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 13, 2003, 08:49:41 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

Also, in the first panel Beef appears to be smoking.  My guess would be that Ray would smoke menthols (Belair or Benson and Hedges) while Beef would be more like Marlboro Lights (or Ultra lights).


I think Ray smokes expensive crap like Nat Shermans, while Beef goes for like Old Golds or some other obscure budget brand that is normally smoked by your grandma. Pat buys the little pouches of American Spirit and rolls his own.

I miss smoking so much it hurts as bad as my lungs did when I finally quit.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2003, 08:54:39 pm
Beef could smoke Tarrytons, while Pat started smoking either Lucky Strikes or Chesterfields when he was in the joint. (the can.  the pokey.  the big house.  the pen.  the slammer.  the box.  the stir.  the house of correction.  the penal institution.)

And I'm still convinced that Ray smokes menthols.
Title: Oct 13 - Beef's Dream of Corpulance
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 13, 2003, 09:08:51 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"


And I'm still convinced that Ray smokes menthols.


Nat Sherman Natural Mints (http://www.natsherman.com/cigaretteDetail.cfm?CFID=168861&CFTOKEN=f136cd45dbb4da43-37414DAF-65B8-EC0F-DC861A7035ED146A&root=59). Anything else  (Kool, Salem, etc.) is just too down market for Ray, IMHO. It'd be like drinking Popoff (Popov? Can't remember now...).