The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Drygioni on July 24, 2007, 01:40:23 am

Title: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: Drygioni on July 24, 2007, 01:40:23 am
This is ridiculous. After pretty much the worst rain I've ever seen in England (in a climate not known for its lack of participation in the water cycle) everywhere is flooded. Every year we get some in the odd area, but this is remarkably nationwide. I live on top of a hill; the house next door to ours, despite being in a raised position and two miles from a river, has water seeping in from under the floorboards. I cannot step out out of my house without wellies on if I want to avoid dry cleaning my socks later.

The nearest middle-sized town is a sad sight. The not-quite bustling high street has been waterlogged; my favourite haunts such as the library, cafe, takeaways and Post Office are inaccessible. I stole a sandpit and length of pipe curiously lying in the middle of the street and gondala'd my way between the buildings. While the childishness of such an action was fun it was still a sad sight.

There is a bridge over the aforementioned nearest river which I normally dip my feet in during the summer while I read. If I tried that now I'd be up to my sporran in unwanted river water and the occasional bastard duck.

Furthermore, there are many unfortunate people in the country entirely without access to basic amenities such as water (humorous aspect of that noted), electricity, food and toilet paper due to the abundance of liquid. I am, no doubt, relatively lucky.

Spare a thought for cold, grey, soggy England and it's bastard weather. We had a fuck*ng hosepipe ban last year due to unprecedented heat levels! Talk about karma (in the incorrect sense) biting you on the arse. I only hope your summer is more of what a proper summer should be.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2007, 01:50:04 am
I thought you guys were quite accustomed to the damp... but they said on the radio that in some places there was a normal month's worth of rain in just a few hours on Friday.  That is a bit much.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: pmcd9 on July 24, 2007, 01:56:35 am
Welcome to Houston Judy.  Stay calm, the water will recede.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: wombat on July 24, 2007, 01:58:05 am
Oh, but look. You may have floods, but you still have milkmen. In Wellies!

http://media.npr.org/news/images/2007/jul/23/flood_500.jpg (http://media.npr.org/news/images/2007/jul/23/flood_500.jpg)
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: Nabubrush on July 24, 2007, 02:23:59 am
Sandpit? Hosepipe? Wellies? Sporran?

Wait a minute - you're having me on!
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 24, 2007, 02:34:45 am
No, I believe he's taking the piss.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 24, 2007, 04:52:07 am
Sorry to hear about that.

Not quite as bad, but my city had something like 30+ days of constant rain during our usual driest months (the last two, well August too, but whatever).
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: linnea on July 24, 2007, 06:05:25 am
After the flash floods we had last spring, my heart's with you, judy. We had an entire bunkhouse get taken out by a mudslide. Thank god it happened while the kids were at school, otherwise it would've been really ugly.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 24, 2007, 06:33:47 am
I heard something about that on NPR. Isn't there a scarcity of drinking water?

Stay dry.
Title: Re: fuck*ng water and ducks everywhere
Post by: Nabubrush on July 24, 2007, 08:40:08 pm
"Water, water everywhere, so let's all take a drink!"