The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on July 27, 2007, 06:54:21 pm

Title: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: side_show on July 27, 2007, 06:54:21 pm
I'm going to see it tonight.  I'm pretty excited about it.  More than I thought I would be.

Also, come hell or high water, I'm gonna get me a Simpsons popcorn tub.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2007, 08:31:05 pm
I really want to go see it. But I can't think of anyone that would go with me.

I am pretty close, at this point, to going by myself.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: CortJstr on July 27, 2007, 10:27:18 pm
I really want to go see it. But I can't think of anyone that would go with me.

I am pretty close, at this point, to going by myself.

I'm away at my parents right now, and the SO will be at her sister's next week, so I can't see it until like mid-August. Hell of lame.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Ben-San on July 28, 2007, 12:30:53 am
I saw it at a midnight showing. It was pretty good.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Golfhaus on July 28, 2007, 01:18:23 am
I really want to go see it. But I can't think of anyone that would go with me.

I am pretty close, at this point, to going by myself.

Damn dude. I want to go see it. But I haven't been to the movies in years. I've never gone to the movies with my wife, and if I go to a movie without her - especially with a near-stranger from "that Achewood board you read," I'd have to move into your room when you go back to STL because I'd get kicked out.

I'd offer to go as a group, but her aunt died this morning and she'll be going out of town for a few days. If you haven't rectified the situation when she gets back, we may need to talk.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Nabubrush on July 28, 2007, 02:37:15 am
My wife is seeing it with a friend of ours. I wish I was home.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: side_show on July 28, 2007, 03:22:06 am
It was great.  Totally worth it.  There were even a few moments where I welled up a bit.  The laughs were consistent and they took advantage of the big screen quite well.  I'll talk about the details once more of you have seen it, so as to not spoil it.  I highly recommend it.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: theinevitable on July 28, 2007, 06:20:59 am
golfhaus-- that would have been intense. Instead, though, I went to the movie theater at Stonecrest and saw it with my little sister. she really liked it. I also really liked it.

Everyone in the theater basically laughed through the whole movie, so I'd say it was a success.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: robot_god on July 30, 2007, 09:44:31 pm
I know this movie will be a complete rape, but I think I don't have a choice to avoid seeing it.

I think I have seen every Simpson's episode at least once.  That is a lot of time that I have invested into the series; it is probably worth my time to see it on the big screen instead of just waiting to inconsequentially see it for free.  But man, do the trailers look awful.

But that's it, now.  Now that the movie has finally been released, I think it's safe to say the Simpsons are officially dead.  I can't imagine the series going on much longer, maybe a season, possibly two.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 30, 2007, 09:59:44 pm
The movie is ill timed in my opinion... by that I mean releasing a feature film about a cartoon that everyone stopped watching 3-5 years ago. But like the rest of you, I have to see it, but I'll opt for watching the bootleg online if my SO isn't up to going out tonight.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Nabubrush on July 30, 2007, 10:56:00 pm
Quote from: Yogi Berra
Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jaydub on July 30, 2007, 11:28:32 pm
I'd offer to go as a group, but her aunt died this morning and she'll be going out of town for a few days.

I initially parsed that as the deceased aunt was going out of town.  I was wondering if taxidermy was involved.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jough on July 31, 2007, 01:54:19 am
I saw it last week.  As a film it sucked, of course, but it was funny as shit, so that makes up for it.

It's no South Park movie, but I was entertained throughout the length of the film.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 31, 2007, 02:56:08 am
"Welcome to Alaska, Here's a thousand dollars!"
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jough on July 31, 2007, 03:07:08 am
Well, it was to compensate for the rape of the land, though. Context, man.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2007, 03:36:10 am
"Welcome to Alaska, Here's a thousand dollars!"

Ahh, the PFD (http://www.pfd.state.ak.us). I love thee. Haven't seen the movie, but the free cash money from AK is a great reference.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 31, 2007, 10:59:32 am
The movie has been up since basically hour 1. If their link dies, they usually fix it in a couple hours.
http://tv-links.co.uk/listings/4/6042 (http://tv-links.co.uk/listings/4/6042)
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: dejavroom on July 31, 2007, 12:15:34 pm
Saw it yesterday in my housemate's computer. I found it... amusing. More interesting point was experiencing Springfield in a beefed-up context, comparing the dynamics, interactions between characters and places in the episodes and in the movie. But some plot solutions seemed too simplistic even for a cartoon (especially for a cartoon that happens to be named "Simpsons"). Ah, that eludible (I thought I was creating this fucker, but it does exist) balance between inconsequential cartoon zaniness and the demands of verisimilitude...
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: side_show on July 31, 2007, 02:28:17 pm
True that.  True that.  The Lisa plot arch was the one problem I had with the movie - it could have been better played out. 

Really though, I think this is one of those films that is worth seeing in theatres.  Both because they adjusted the animation well to the big screen with all the extra detailing, and because experiencing the film in a public audience is a valuable part of the experience in this case.  It's a cultural event as much as it's a piece of entertainment.  I only see a handful of movies in theatre anymore, and sometimes the movie-going experience is really unnecessary to my enjoyment, but in this case, it was definitely a big part of it.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 01, 2007, 08:20:17 am
I saw it today...was skeptical (I am one of those 1-9 season guys) but thought it was about average with season 8-9 quality.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 01, 2007, 02:00:10 pm
On the whole, I liked it a lot... some of it felt a bit like they were rehashing things that worked particularly well in the show and just tweaking them but... it was funny as hell and at under 90 minutes, it didn't overstay its welcome.

Nothing worse than a good solid comedy overstaying its welcome out to near two hours, just to try and serve the dramatic elements that drove the plot. Too many comedies get too caught up in the plot underneath and forget that they're comedies. The Simpsons Movie largely didn't.

I really liked the bit about having to speed up at the scariest part and that's the only way to get through it. I don't know why, it really resonated for me.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: robot_god on August 02, 2007, 07:17:44 pm
Worst.  Movie.  Ever.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: pmcd9 on August 02, 2007, 08:07:04 pm
Not a good movie at all.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jough on August 03, 2007, 09:17:49 pm
I thought the first half hour was genius, then it just petered out.

Funny, though.  The cartoon nudity brought the house down when I saw it.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jay-ell on September 17, 2007, 06:01:33 pm
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead, but...well...we don't get out much. 

We saw this last week, and we both liked it.  Sure, it was basically a ninety minute version of a half-hour TV show.  That's pretty much what we were expecting, and that's what we got. 

Anything else wouldn't have been the Simpsons.  I guess some people were expecting them to experiment, push the envelope, branch out somehow...?  But come on.  The show has been running fifteen years (more?  I should look this up) and clearly the formula works.  We just got season 10 on DVD for Pedro's birthday and it's the first season we didn't see when it was running or in syndication.  We've seen every episode of seasons 1 - 9 (most of them more than twice) and season 10 still makes us laugh.  What more can you ask from a motherfuck*ng cartoon? 

This isn't directed at anyone here, per se, but more at the general rumblings of "sure it was funny, but it still sucked" that I have heard since this movie opened.  Just needed to get it off my chest. 
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jough on September 17, 2007, 11:32:00 pm
I liked it, but I won't be rushing out to buy it when it hits DVD like I do with the season sets.

I think they pushed the envelope a little as to things they can do in a movie and not do on a TV show (profanity, nudity, etc.) but the South Park movie is a masterpiece and in comparison the Simpsons is pretty weak.
Title: Re: The Simpsons Movie
Post by: jough on September 18, 2007, 12:50:07 am
Just be thankful you have those 45 minutes of your life back.