The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2007, 06:54:54 am

Title: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2007, 06:54:54 am
Nooo (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07302007)

Meh.

Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Doc on July 30, 2007, 07:15:32 am
This strip just caused me to think about dead like me.
I feel the real punchline here is 'yes, I agree' we've been here so many times even Phillipe knows how it's going to go down.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 30, 2007, 07:23:35 am
Onstad has gone from PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE to rotten.com.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Noah on July 30, 2007, 08:18:39 am
maybe the worst achewood ever
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Lister on July 30, 2007, 08:34:09 am
MR ONSTADT NEEDS TO GET HIS FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST A SPACE TOILET WOULD BE BURNED UP ON ATMOSPHERIC REENTRY IT WOULDNT STILL BE IN THAT SHAPE WHEN IT LANDED SECOND SPACE TOILETS ARE VERY TINY AND YOU CANT FIT A WHOLE KID IN ONE OF THOSE DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW I JUST KNOW LOL THIRD IT WOULD BE SADDER IF IT FELL ON SOMEONE IMPORTANT LIKE HEATH LEDGER AND THEY HAD TO STOP MAKING THE NEW BATMAN MOVIE BECAUSE OF IT I KNOW AWFUL RIGHT?!??!?


...

I have GOT to start getting to bed on time.  Writing like that scared the bajeezus out of me.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: smick on July 30, 2007, 02:21:34 pm
maybe the worst achewood ever

Awp!
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 30, 2007, 03:03:17 pm
I like this strip, for three reasons:

-Phillipe's accepting responsibility in that very mature, put-upon way that little kids have when they take on a burden of some sort.
-Awp!
-The intensely gross imagery in the fourth and sixth panels
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: side_show on July 30, 2007, 03:14:39 pm
Yes.  The "awp!" is excellent.  I really enjoy Lie Bot.  I don't know why, I just do.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Nabubrush on July 30, 2007, 03:18:46 pm
I like the tenacity of P. continuing to ask.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Nabubrush on July 30, 2007, 03:19:13 pm
maybe the worst achewood ever

I think you meant:

Worst. Achewood. Ever.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: V-Adore on July 30, 2007, 04:36:11 pm
I have to agree with those who think "Awp!" makes the strip. Otherwise, eh, take it or leave it. The imagery is impressively gross, though.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Toaster on July 30, 2007, 07:20:23 pm
I like it. I like how Philippe confirms that all the previous Saddest Thing strips were in-continuity instead of one-off gags.

As for the grossness, I don't think it's that bad. I mean, this is the same Onstad that brought us Cartilige Head, Ray ripping the guy's face off in The GOF, and of course, "Now you know what it means to have death inside you", which I think were grosser than this. Or maybe my imagination just isn't as vivid as some people.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: pmcd9 on July 30, 2007, 08:09:41 pm
This is developing into the Achewood equivalent of the old Hee-Haw gag where they ask Grandpa what's for supper.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Alternate on July 30, 2007, 09:16:32 pm
Eh, cartilage head and face-ripping may be grosser, but this is more gratuitously gross.  The former were poetic and surreal in their grossness, but this just layers it on without accomplishing anything.  In his heart, Onstad knows the saddest thing will always be a retarded man cradling a broken egg and crying.  He can't beat that one for poignancy, so he throws in gore, hoping if he just grosses us out enough then we won't notice what's lacking.  Basically this strip is the Titus Andronicus of saddest thing strips.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: linnea on July 30, 2007, 10:22:21 pm
Thumbs down from me. Tired gag, traumatize the five-year old, Onstad's toddler rage. I can't complain, though, because it's free entertainment that is normally spot-on funny.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on July 30, 2007, 10:24:54 pm
Basically this strip is the Titus Andronicus of saddest thing strips.

You are the winner of the internets today.  A tiny, well-educated can for you, sirrah.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: mrdna1 on July 30, 2007, 11:34:58 pm
I agree with whoever said the last time that the real genius in these strips lies in the pre-Saddest Thing exchanges between LB and Philippe ("You sure you're ready?" "I ... I think so, this time.").
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Golfhaus on July 30, 2007, 11:53:07 pm
The thing about this iteration of TST is that each individual piece of it is incredibly sad:

- "toilet from an abandoned space station" - the utter uselessness of the item's existence is implied there.
- child playing alone - again, the implied loneliness of the child.
- terribly violent death scene
- agonizingly sweet final words from the dead/dying child
- "half a hard-boiled egg" - not even the whole part

But at the end, the individual parts are worth more than the sum. Still, like Donovan McNabb (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-eagles-mcnabb&prov=ap&type=lgns), Achewood at 75% is still one of the best comics out there.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Nabubrush on July 31, 2007, 01:56:20 am
I wouldn't store all my half hard-boiled eggs in the McNabb basket.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: robot_god on July 31, 2007, 03:21:39 am
I love it.

I don't think there is any saddest thing threedux that would have pleased you guys, but I, for one, greatly appreciate Onstad including gratuitous gore in his comic.

I have two reasons.  One, it quenches your thirst for blood, ultimately keeping you sane, happy, vital, and sexual, and two, because the willingness to go there is another small aspect that sets Achewood apart from other comics.  Achewood will kill a small boy, crush him into a bloody mound, and that is important.  So good, you can taste it.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Bimmicus on July 31, 2007, 05:14:55 am
This strip itself is the Saddest Thing.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2007, 06:06:54 am
The thing about this iteration of TST is that each individual piece of it is incredibly sad:

- "toilet from an abandoned space station" - the utter uselessness of the item's existence is implied there.
- child playing alone - again, the implied loneliness of the child.
- terribly violent death scene
- agonizingly sweet final words from the dead/dying child
- "half a hard-boiled egg" - not even the whole part

But at the end, the individual parts are worth more than the sum.

Thank you for breaking that down. I dare say that I agree with you, despite my initial hatred of the strip. I agree that the sum of the parts does not equal a greater whole, but the imagery is quite visceral.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: V-Adore on July 31, 2007, 07:41:40 am
What I find most disturbing about this strip, in my neuroscientist way, is the implication that the child's brain is somehow intact enough to articulate "I love you, Mommy," despite the fact that (as the alt text notes, fantastically) the head is so mutilated that the eyes and nose are not visible. Ohh, cold shivers.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Doc on July 31, 2007, 09:17:50 am
the child's brain is somehow intact enough to articulate "I love you, Mommy,"

Such things are possible not by your petty science but through love and tragicomedy.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: dejavroom on July 31, 2007, 12:00:46 pm
Awp!
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: V-Adore on July 31, 2007, 04:05:41 pm
Such things are possible not by your petty science but through love and tragicomedy.

I'm not saying "zomg scientific inaccuracy!", I'm saying "oooh, eerie." Hell, all's fair in love, war, Saddest Things, and brain injury.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2007, 09:34:01 pm
I read this strip three times. 

First reaction: Ick. 

Second reaction: Sad, I guess, but not as sad as the retarded man with the broken egg. 

Third reaction: Ick. 
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: keithcozz on August 03, 2007, 12:34:28 am
"Hee-Haw?"  Goddamn.
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 12:39:35 am
Finally I get a response.  Dude registered just to say Goddamn at my comparing Achewood to Hee-Haw. 
Title: Re: July 30, 2007 New Saddest Thing Strip
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2007, 01:47:24 am
Finally I get a response.  Dude registered just to say Goddamn at my comparing Achewood to Hee-Haw. 

Just be sure to always use your mysterious powers for Good, Paul.