The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on July 31, 2007, 05:28:10 pm

Title: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: jaydub on July 31, 2007, 05:28:10 pm
Mid-day update (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07312007)
The day products start putting actual case-law references on the label is the day we know the lawyers have stepped out from behind the throne and seized the crown from the old king's head.

Edit: francophones may suggest any appropriate revision...
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour stimuler furieusement)
Post by: side_show on July 31, 2007, 05:41:15 pm
After a certain time, I find our KY Touch has suddenly aquired an odour almost exactly like that of the corn-removal medication I had to use as a young girl.  It didn't have any odour before, but suddenly this unpleasant surprise has appeared.  It is a mood killer, let me tell y'ah.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour stimuler furieusement)
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2007, 05:48:40 pm
Ray must just be looking through his sex drawer, remembering the good old days when he was actually getting some. And presumably "not for use on toast" and "not a contraceptive" aren't important enough to appear on the actual tube any more and got bumped to the back of the box.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: smick on July 31, 2007, 06:11:01 pm
When I was a young lad, I was a chorus member in our high school's presentation of the Damon Runyon romp "Guys and Dolls".  On the first full dress night, make up was applied to me.   I had never done anything theatrical before, mind you.   I was handed a tube and told to put a nice thin layer on my face.   I didn't know what it was, but it struck me that Johnson and Johnson had made something with cosmetic purposes.

I asked about this "KY Jelly" and what it was for, as I was smearing it all over my face.  I was then introduced to the concept of intimate lubrication.   I didn't really ask any more questions after that.   I went on to do a good dozen or so community theater plays as an adult.   I never saw another tube of KY in that setting.

I still don't know if I was being hazed or not.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: RMJ12345 on July 31, 2007, 06:21:58 pm
The cat paw holding the personal lubricant is pretty creepy. Ray holding it isn't, but when you see his paw, with claw....that's kinda weird.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: CortJstr on July 31, 2007, 07:45:16 pm
I think it's because his claws seem to be extended all the time for no reason.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: side_show on July 31, 2007, 08:37:39 pm
When I was a young lad, I was a chorus member in our high school's presentation of the Damon Runyon romp "Guys and Dolls".  On the first full dress night, make up was applied to me.   I had never done anything theatrical before, mind you.   I was handed a tube and told to put a nice thin layer on my face.   I didn't know what it was, but it struck me that Johnson and Johnson had made something with cosmetic purposes.

I asked about this "KY Jelly" and what it was for, as I was smearing it all over my face.  I was then introduced to the concept of intimate lubrication.   I didn't really ask any more questions after that.   I went on to do a good dozen or so community theater plays as an adult.   I never saw another tube of KY in that setting.

I still don't know if I was being hazed or not.

smick, I studied stage make-up for two years as part of my degree, and you will be pleased (or maybe disappointed?) to know that using KY Jelly, petroleum or cold cream and working it into the skin as a base, allows for the make-up itself to be applied smoothly and evenly.  As long as other make-up was applied overtop of the KY , or the KY was being used as a thinner, there was nothing wrong with using it.

In recent years water based stage make-up has increased in popularity due to advances that make it more workable, but as early as 5 years ago it was industry standard to use lanolin-based and oil-based make-ups, requiring lubricant or baby oil to be used as a thinner.  I always used baby oil in stage make-up class, but perhaps some kind-hearted person was being thoughtful to you teens in using KY - which reduces breakouts - without realizing how weird it would be.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: linnea on July 31, 2007, 08:55:53 pm
smick, I studied stage make-up for two years as part of my degree, and you will be pleased (or maybe disappointed?) to know that using KY Jelly, petroleum or cold cream and working it into the skin as a base, allows for the make-up itself to be applied smoothly and evenly.  As long as other make-up was applied overtop of the KY , or the KY was being used as a thinner, there was nothing wrong with using it.

In recent years water based stage make-up has increased in popularity due to advances that make it more workable, but as early as 5 years ago it was industry standard to use lanolin-based and oil-based make-ups, requiring lubricant or baby oil to be used as a thinner.  I always used baby oil in stage make-up class, but perhaps some kind-hearted person was being thoughtful to you teens in using KY - which reduces breakouts - without realizing how weird it would be.

For ridiculous (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P9889&categoryId=B70) sums (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P151913&categoryId=B70) of money, (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P169809&categoryId=B70) one can purchase silicone-based "foundation primer".

Also, the warning labels in the US and the lawsuits that predicated them made me think of this comic. (http://www.little-gamers.com/index.php?comicID=1641)
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: jay-ell on July 31, 2007, 09:23:41 pm
I think the low point in my life was when my mom recommended a particular variety of KY over all others to me while we were shopping. 

We were in a shoe store. 

Also, just wanted to make sure everyone knows about the woman who ate contraceptive jelly (http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/jelly.asp). 
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: teh villain on July 31, 2007, 09:32:46 pm
and the there's this:
http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/hygiene-on-road.html (http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/2004/10/hygiene-on-road.html)

Quote
Don't like a dry shave? Nobody does. Buy yourself some generic sex lube. It's only a couple of bucks at Walmart or Target or, really, any drugstore. A little dab and a disposable razor and you can get a nice shave. Rub a thimbleful of water over your face and wipe off to finish. It may sound funny, and of course your razor is ruined unless you rinse it out right away, but this works very well. It's one of my favorite tricks.

A dab of sex gel will help you comb out your hair in the morning, too, and it disappears completely into the hair, as if it were never there.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: smick on July 31, 2007, 10:04:49 pm
smick, I studied stage make-up for two years as part of my degree, and you will be pleased (or maybe disappointed?) to know that using KY Jelly, petroleum or cold cream and working it into the skin as a base, allows for the make-up itself to be applied smoothly and evenly.  As long as other make-up was applied overtop of the KY , or the KY was being used as a thinner, there was nothing wrong with using it.

Can'd for education as well as giving me the well-being associated with knowing that years ago, folks I had suspected of misdealing were actually treating me kindly!
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: V-Adore on July 31, 2007, 10:43:03 pm
What, no scheming about naming a dog "J.J. the Land-Retard?"
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: Bimmicus on August 01, 2007, 01:11:30 am
Not for tricks? NOW they tell me!
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: oball on August 01, 2007, 01:44:27 am
The day products start putting actual case-law references on the label is the day we know the lawyers have stepped out from behind the throne and seized the crown from the old king's head.

Case law reference?  I saw it more as a citation of the song by MC Pot-a-Holic wherein it is claimed that KY gives you "Gruesome Little Curls".  Wouldn't a case law reference be someone vs. someone else?
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2007, 01:51:52 am
A case citation would look like this:

Smith v. Jones
, 123 S.W.2d 456 (Ky.App, 2006)

Parties                 vol/reporter/pg   (court, year)
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: side_show on August 01, 2007, 01:53:08 am
Aug, I'm glad your legal expertise and my theatrical expertise could be applied to this strip.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2007, 01:58:07 am
Well, we all bring a little something to the table, don't we?
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: oball on August 01, 2007, 02:46:01 am
I brought hummus!

(http://z.about.com/d/greekfood/1/0/_/3/hummus-tahini-2923-499.jpg)
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2007, 03:03:49 am
Oh yummy, I love that shit.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: side_show on August 01, 2007, 03:23:14 am
Oh man.  Hummus is so good.  Also see: Baba ghanoush.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: smick on August 01, 2007, 03:46:57 am
I brought hummus!


When I was in high school, I went to a choir event.   I had never really been part of any of the vocal choirs in my high school, so I felt a little out of place.   Just before the choir was ready to go up, every one took off their shoes.  I was handed a small tub of garbanzo paste and told to put it in my shoes.   

To this day, I don't know if I was really supposed to do that or not. 
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2007, 03:56:03 am
I love hummus.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: theinevitable on August 01, 2007, 05:50:27 am
when I was in italy, I was handed a bowl of something chocolatey with a spoon in it. I was jetlagged as all hell. So I took the spoon, and ate a big ol' bite. it was delicious.

they stared at me for a few seconds, and then the dad reached over, took it from me, and used his knife to apply some to a cookie. I had just eaten frosting.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: linnea on August 01, 2007, 06:22:12 am
when I was in italy, I was handed a bowl of something chocolatey with a spoon in it. I was jetlagged as all hell. So I took the spoon, and ate a big ol' bite. it was delicious.

they stared at me for a few seconds, and then the dad reached over, took it from me, and used his knife to apply some to a cookie. I had just eaten frosting.

HEH!!! theinev cootie'd an entire bowl of Italian frosting. I love it.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2007, 01:24:52 pm
This past weekend at my sister-in-law's wedding, I ate a bite of what I thought was hummus only to discover that it was, in fact, crab dip. 

I'm allergic to seafood. 

There's just no nice way to spit food into your napkin at the bride and groom's table. 
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: colmore on August 03, 2007, 07:18:51 pm
You were at a wedding.  You could have feigned drunkenness.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: Cynicar on August 03, 2007, 07:44:27 pm
What, no scheming about naming a dog "J.J. the Land-Retard?"

Personally, I have fully planned to name my own dog this.  When I am actually able to own a dog, which will be in a couple years.  So I will probably not win the contest, but I still like the name.

I feel spitting out food for the sake of allergies, while not polite, is always acceptable.  The drunkenness, however, would have been a nice touch as well.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: wombat on August 03, 2007, 07:57:13 pm

I feel spitting out food for the sake of allergies, while not polite, is always acceptable. 

Oh, totally.  Because the whole passing out and needing an ambulance thing is always so much more disruptive to a party.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: linnea on August 04, 2007, 12:04:20 am
The prepared and considerate guest has an epi-pen with them so as to avoid either.

I'm kinda sad that I never got to spike anybody with epinephrine. However, it's not nearly as cool as Pulp Fiction would have you believe.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: theinevitable on August 04, 2007, 01:50:29 am
... the time they do it in Pulp Fiction, that is "cool?"
That is terrifying. That is not cool.

also, that was adrenaline.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: linnea on August 04, 2007, 02:31:23 am
... the time they do it in Pulp Fiction, that is "cool?"
That is terrifying. That is not cool.

also, that was adrenaline.

Epi is also spelled (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine) adrenalin, adrenaline, etc.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: oball on August 04, 2007, 05:15:31 am
You have to admit that adrenaline sounds much cooler.  Nobody talks about something exciting giving them an epinephrine rush.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: theinevitable on August 04, 2007, 06:09:48 am
oh, wow, I think if I had thought it through I would have figured it out.

but that's because I have too much faith in myself being able to figure out Facts just by thinking. you know... without knowing the facts.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: Golfhaus on August 04, 2007, 05:14:03 pm
oh, wow, I think if I had thought it through I would have figured it out.

but that's because I have too much faith in myself being able to figure out Facts just by thinking. you know... without knowing the facts.

That will serve you well in twenty years when you make it to the White House.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: linnea on August 04, 2007, 06:15:25 pm
You have to admit that adrenaline sounds much cooler.  Nobody talks about something exciting giving them an epinephrine rush.

Epi is used more in a medical context, it's Greek for "on (epi-) the kidneys (nephros-)" which is where your little adrenal glands are perched. Adrenalin means the same thing, but in Latin. Nephrologists are physicians who specialize in kidney related disorders, which is why I remember epinephrine.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: theinevitable on August 04, 2007, 06:55:33 pm
proof that I am REQUIRED to be a language dork forever (especially for the next several years):
But why do they both end in "ine"? Is that an ending common to both languages (I doubt this), or is this an example of that thing I hate (possibly called a Portmanteau? but that term is not specific enough) where they put together latinate and greek(ate? grecian?) roots. Hmm, what -is- that called? I should spend 2 hours looking for that term on wikipedia.
Title: Re: July 31st, 2007 - Lubrifiant Personnel (pour secouer furieusement)
Post by: oball on August 05, 2007, 05:03:34 am
Epi is used more in a medical context

In the US, maybe.  Pretty much everywhere else calls it adrenaline.