The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 07:13:03 pm

Title: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: wombat on August 02, 2007, 07:13:03 pm
Fuck*ng hell, Ray. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08022007)
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: side_show on August 02, 2007, 08:13:43 pm
I really don't enjoy this one.  Not at all. 
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 02, 2007, 08:21:50 pm
I would enjoy it more if he didn't have the subtitles/translation there (I speak German, see).
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: theinevitable on August 02, 2007, 08:43:20 pm
hmm.

I like the idea of "remember how I don't speak german?"
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: jaydub on August 02, 2007, 08:44:52 pm
I liked this one.  Not sure why.  Probably my secret suspicion that when I try to talk Spanish to my coworkers it actually sounds like "My hovercraft is full of eels" to them, and they're just pretending delight at my competency.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Toaster on August 02, 2007, 08:48:27 pm
Off topic: is Mr. Bear English, or otherwise from the United Kingdom? I was thinking about this last night.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 02, 2007, 08:53:15 pm
That doorbell had better be setting up for something exciting.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2007, 09:00:38 pm
Off topic: is Mr. Bear English, or otherwise from the United Kingdom? I was thinking about this last night.

I can't recall if there's been a canonical reference to his origins. I could just be that in the minds of us Americans cultured and gentlemanly = English but I think things like Scotch eggs and his pub are pointing in that direction as well.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: jough on August 03, 2007, 12:03:46 am
It's sad that Roast Beef's comments about McSweeney's now applies to Achewood.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 12:40:44 am
It's sad that Roast Beef's comments about McSweeney's now applies to Achewood.

That would be hurtful to the artist if you weren't a 13 year old living in Ohio.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Bimmicus on August 03, 2007, 01:53:44 am
I liked this one.  Not sure why.  Probably my secret suspicion that when I try to talk Spanish to my coworkers it actually sounds like "My hovercraft is full of eels"

Beat'n to the inevitable Python reference, though I prefer "My nipples explode with delight!"

Which is basically the same joke as the strip.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 03, 2007, 04:55:04 am
I, too, am amused by the idea of someone's not knowing German being the driving force behind something patently unforgettable by all.

I am pretty sure I have never been in a situation where my ignorance toward the Teutonic tongue created timeless results.

We had a German exchange student when I was in high school but he is in a mental institution now so the language barrier had little to do with it, I suppose.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Doc on August 03, 2007, 08:10:21 am
That doorbell had better be setting up for something exciting.

I suspect there is no doorbell, I suspect Teodore simply wanted this conversation to end.

An ok strip, not a world-beater, but at least the title is correct.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: IsoscelesLock on August 03, 2007, 12:46:25 pm
Jough has a mediocre opinion of Achewood.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2007, 08:02:31 pm
Jough has a mediocre opinion of Achewood.

This is not news.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: jough on August 03, 2007, 09:11:10 pm
Well, I think this strip is mediocre, and previous strips have been mediocre for some time.

Am I wrong, or did the strip pretty much peak with the GOF?

I did love the "Will Beef pop the question?" thread, but it too lacked teeth (but it made up for it with heart, so I guess that's okay).
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: jaydub on August 03, 2007, 10:27:45 pm
You didn't like the Mexican Magical Realism arc?
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: MrCB on August 06, 2007, 09:39:49 am
I can't recall if there's been a canonical reference to his origins. I could just be that in the minds of us Americans cultured and gentlemanly = English but I think things like Scotch eggs and his pub are pointing in that direction as well.

There is a reference to it - he's pretty certainly English. In the arc where Roast Beef, Lyle, Mr Bear, Teodor and Nightlife Mingus (I think), are trapped in Ray's dumb waiter (during the time Ray and Phillipe are meeting Mark Twain). When they're playing the Porn Star Name game Mr. Bear has a thought bubble that the street he first lived on was Roxx Street in Cambridge.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092003 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09092003)
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 05:27:44 am
You didn't like the Mexican Magical Realism arc?

I have a pair of Levis that are made in Mexico that I just bought, and whenever I wear them, I know think of them as my Mexican Realism blue jeans.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Doc on August 07, 2007, 10:31:31 am
Mexican Realism blue jeans.

When you wear these is there automatically a Porsche 550 Spyder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dean#Death) in your driveway with a glass bottle of coke in the govebox?
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2007, 01:01:16 pm
I have a pair of Levis that are made in Mexico that I just bought, and whenever I wear them, I know think of them as my Mexican Realism blue jeans.

Do they make your butt look magically sexy?
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 02:40:04 pm
this reminds me.
there is one kind of jeans. they are the worst kind of jeans.

these jeans have no butt-pockets, and a seam right along the, um, middle of the butt.

Ladies, these jeans make your ass look horrible. Do not wear them.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: MrCB on August 07, 2007, 02:52:03 pm
This has reminded me of the plot where ray met his [thing] dog as a foretelling of his death... anyone remember where that plot started??
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2007, 03:02:52 pm
This has reminded me of the plot where ray met his [thing] dog as a foretelling of his death... anyone remember where that plot started??

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

Which was the day after a Saddest Thing strip.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2007, 03:09:49 pm
this reminds me.
there is one kind of jeans. they are the worst kind of jeans.

these jeans have no butt-pockets, and a seam right along the, um, middle of the butt.

Ladies, these jeans make your ass look horrible. Do not wear them.

I second this motion.
Title: Re: I have never met a man as shiny as you - 8/02/07
Post by: MrCB on August 07, 2007, 03:24:21 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09062006

Which was the day after a Saddest Thing strip.

Thanks! I was looking through the archive and knew it was near the Magical Realism arc with Bensington Butters, but somehow completely passed it by...

Can for you!