The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2007, 03:28:15 am

Title: Lets be real
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2007, 03:28:15 am
For the men in the audience-
 I was recently watching the sopranos and i've noticed in a couple scenes the dudes do straight shots like it aint a thing. Now, im only 21 so my experience with alcohol is limited but I've had the opportunity to taste some of the finest liquors available and whether its christian brothers or remy martin XO, I feel the bite. My question is: Does the bite of liquor diminish over time, or do you just get better at not showing your pain?

(Quick edit: I know they were probably not drinking actual liquor on set, but the point still stands)
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2007, 03:34:17 am
For the men in the audience-
 I was recently watching the sopranos and i've noticed in a couple scenes the dudes do straight shots like it aint a thing. Now, im only 21 so my experience with alcohol is limited but I've had the opportunity to taste some of the finest liquors available and whether its christian brothers or remy martin XO, I feel the bite. My question is: Does the bite of liquor diminish over time, or do you just get better at not showing your pain?

(Quick edit: I know they were probably not drinking actual liquor on set, but the point still stands)

It diminishes.  I don't like anything but ice in my liquor because otherwise it's too watery.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2007, 03:54:55 am
I'm a lady and I like scotch neat or on the rocks, meaning that my taste has refined and it's not uber painful to drink liquor. Some shots are gnarly but you look like a chump if you wince and grimace after a shot. Toughen up, princess.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2007, 04:00:58 am
I quit before it started going down easy.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 04:01:17 am
Shots burn like a bitch, but I'm pretty sure I am good at not wincing and such.

my roommate tried tequila for the first time (also his first shot) and did all kinds of crazy shit (OH MY fuck*ng GOD! WHY WOULD YOU DRINK THIS! *has coughing fit*)
I laughed, and so he said something to the effect of "fuck you, asshole, you try it!"
so then I just drank that shit down. I must have not made a face, because everyone started laughing pretty hard at him, and I was given the thumbs up.
also: that shit is vile. With Whiskey or whatever, I can at least understand how someone could enjoy drinking it... tequila... no.

um PS certain people will be pleased to know that the other day I drank some beer and didn't think it tasted like piss. in fact, when I was done, I wanted more. But there was none.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 04:58:39 am
I have always been able to down without a wince.  Sometimes this is all show though, because, seriously - Jagarmeister?  That shit is foul.

I've always found it best to look like all is well, in life and in drink.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: smick on August 07, 2007, 06:41:35 am
I love the taste of a good gin.  Despite that, sometimes it'll catch me funny and my head does this shimmy.   It's like the back of my head is fighting to get farther away from the front of my head, but no one's told it that they're all attached to each other.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Doc on August 07, 2007, 10:44:50 am
The first alcohol I ever imbibed was shots of vodka, since then it's all been fairly smooth sailing. Straight scotch can be delicious but a little water doesn't hurt too much. I love tequila shots but it's generally something I'll do towards the end of the night, I don't think anyone wants to use tequia to get a night started. Lyle maybe.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Doc on August 07, 2007, 12:27:00 pm
There's no judgement here ya big pussy.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2007, 03:37:11 pm
Toughen up, princess.

Aah, linnea.  Wonderfully, beautifully, can-worthily phrased. 
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 07, 2007, 04:05:30 pm
For the men in the audience-
 I was recently watching the sopranos and i've noticed in a couple scenes the dudes do straight shots like it aint a thing. Now, im only 21 so my experience with alcohol is limited but I've had the opportunity to taste some of the finest liquors available and whether its christian brothers or remy martin XO, I feel the bite. My question is: Does the bite of liquor diminish over time, or do you just get better at not showing your pain?

(Quick edit: I know they were probably not drinking actual liquor on set, but the point still stands)

Just the men? Ladies is pimps too. (ps - The Sopranos is pretty much my favorite thing ever.)

I have always, since I started drinking a few years ago, been able to take straight shots of harsh alcohol. Aristocrat too. I've just never had a problem with it. Also let me mention that I learned to do all this at my all-women's institution. Underage drinking is genderless, buddy boy.

Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 07, 2007, 04:39:31 pm
You are never allowed to mention a hampden-sydney man asked this question. I'd probably get honor courted.

Hey man, I only mentioned my college. Don't you not go there anymore, anyway?
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 04:53:54 pm
what the fuck you went to hampden sydney!!?

my good friend goes there, and utterly hates it. Um, but I'm sure it's great if you aren't a whiny english major who needs to be constantly surrounded by sympathetic womenfolk.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Nabubrush on August 07, 2007, 05:35:02 pm
The first alcohol I ever imbibed was shots of vodka, since then it's all been fairly smooth sailing. Straight scotch can be delicious but a little water doesn't hurt too much. I love tequila shots but it's generally something I'll do towards the end of the night, I don't think anyone wants to use tequia to get a night started. Lyle maybe.

I don't know - we kicked off my brother-in-law's wedding with better than a quart of tequila, done in shots, and that was at 10:00 in the morning. Of course, we're all pretty committed drinkers.

The only stuff I won't shoot is shit like Jager, all those goofy flavored schnapps, shit like that. I love a nice cold shot of vodka. I prefer bourbons on the rocks, but you gotta get after it, cause you don't want the ice to melt much. Single-malts and such you sort of gotta drink neat. I'm not really a straight gin guy. I don't tend to drink rum at all (fallout from trips to Cancun).
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 06:16:09 pm
he is going to be a junior this year, so, he might be before your time. If you do know him, don't tell him I said those things about him. I was exaggerating to illustrate how much he doesn't fit there.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jaydub on August 07, 2007, 08:06:41 pm

um PS certain people will be pleased to know that the other day I drank some beer and didn't think it tasted like piss. in fact, when I was done, I wanted more. But there was none.

This happens to me all the time.

I'm currently in a mild state of dread, as my keg of homebrew Hefeweizen is probably on its last legs, and I've been too busy to put something in the fermenter.

On the topic of the hard stuff, its probably old news that the real trick is to have a good breath of air in you before you do the shot, so that after its gone down you can blow the fumes out of your throat instead of inhaling them into your windpipe (which tends to cause the coughing).

Malt liquor warmed on an engine block sounds like a recipe for projectile vomiting.  Also, some single malts benefit from water (not ice).  It helps to "unpack" the various flavours that otherwise can get lost behind the ethanol burn.  I usually start them neat, then do a 1:4 with good quality water, and decide which one I like better for the third.  Beyond that, I don't waste the scotch as my ability to distinguish it from Old Crow is gone.  I'll switch to beer to make the evening last.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 10:02:48 pm
so, to update, A-CAP has informed me by PM that my good friend is his fraternity brother.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Doc on August 08, 2007, 08:29:06 am
I don't know - we kicked off my brother-in-law's wedding with better than a quart of tequila, done in shots, and that was at 10:00 in the morning. Of course, we're all pretty committed drinkers.

The only stuff I won't shoot is shit like Jager, all those goofy flavored schnapps, shit like that. I love a nice cold shot of vodka. I prefer bourbons on the rocks, but you gotta get after it, cause you don't want the ice to melt much. Single-malts and such you sort of gotta drink neat. I'm not really a straight gin guy. I don't tend to drink rum at all (fallout from trips to Cancun).

I guess I think of tequila as a party drink that I prefer to have with others and I always have trouble convincing people to join in until they're properly sloshed.
Hear hear on the  schnapps and such though, overly sugary spirits are for mixing not for shooting. Way too sickly.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: side_show on August 08, 2007, 08:58:54 am
so, to update, A-CAP has informed me by PM that my good friend is his fraternity brother.

Isn't it lovely how small the world is sometimes?

I was in this crazy market in Ubud (Bali) full of vendors shouting at me, then I heard someone call my name.  It was a fellow Canadian friend of mine.  Half way round the fuckin' world!

So Daniel (sorry I'm picking up Linnea's habit apparently) are you going to gossip with your buddy about A-CAP now?  And maybe A-CAP can do the same?  Is it time for embarrassing frat stories?!
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Nabubrush on August 08, 2007, 03:50:33 pm
I was in a disco in Paris once and a friend of mine from Alaska that I hadn't seen in two years came up and said hi.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 08, 2007, 08:02:21 pm
good.

so, yeah. this ups the number of people I have weirdly run into who know my friends to... several. 4 or 5?

yeah, I am totally getting embarrassing stories about both of them through this wonderful resource.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Golfhaus on August 11, 2007, 01:57:18 am
I attended a graduation at Randolph Macon once. A buddy of mine spent a year at Hampden Sydney before returning home to Christopher Newport. My wife graduated from Lynchburg College.

Me... Division III state school, bitches.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on August 11, 2007, 03:57:33 am
a cute girl I noticed on campus ended up being my friend's childhood best friend.
a guy on my floor went to high school with my friend Jessica... in London.
My good friend Julia at school complained about how small the school is-- she cited that she constantly runs into her ex-boyfriend, John (lastname)... my friend's cousin. who I had been looking for all semester.
also, the same friend (the cousin of the ex) lives next door to a guy whose best friend is probably going to be my Anthropology professor this semester.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 11, 2007, 02:20:33 pm
When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Nabubrush on August 11, 2007, 02:43:52 pm
When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 

We're all thinking the same thing, but none of us are brave enough to write it.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 11, 2007, 02:46:36 pm
We're all thinking the same thing, but none of us are brave enough to write it.

As you should be. 

As we all know, my internet wrath is utterly terrifying. 

What?!?!
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: mavies on August 29, 2007, 11:47:59 am
I.. I don't get it. Should I?

I've never really ran into anyone I know like that. I don't really know many people so it aint surprising.

Back in my merthyr scab-bag days, my mates and I used to drink the shittiest cheap vodka, tesco's own brand, straight. The trick was to swill the first shot round your mouth. it was absolutely minging, but killed your tastebuds so it'd be relatively drinkable afterwards. Apart from that I've only ever tried jack daniels, that shit really doesn't agree with me. My stomach actively repels it.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 29, 2007, 04:58:53 pm
When I was in college I had a class with Pedro's first-ever girlfriend from middle school. 

She apparently has always been really quiet and I don't think she spoke to anyone in the whole class (French) the entire semester, unless it was part of an assignment or something. 

Pedro says their quote-unquote relationship was pretty much the same way. 

Pedro's your husband, right?

I have a sort of similar story. I was at a party at the wild and crazy arts house (where all the pothead/alcoholics live, where I live now but did not live at the time of this story). This girl I lived next to freshman year who got ALL the straight girls who wanted to experiment came up to a group of my friends and said "My boyfriend from seventh grade is here!" and I went "You lie, you never had a boyfriend, you lesbian." And she laughed.

Then I realized it was this guy who had sent me a really nice message on MySpace (lame!) the day before, so I went up to talk to him. And now we've been dating for going on two years.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 05:22:28 pm
I met my girlfriend because she was roommates with one of my friends from high school, a lesbian folk-rock chick, and their whole six-girl suite at college had come up to my town for the summer Erie Canal festival and were crashing at my friend's place.

Their college, SUNY-Purchase, doesn't have that many straight men at it and... my future/current girlfriend was the only girl in the group that self-identified as bi, let alone straight... and when my friend told my future/current gal whilst napping after the four-hour drive up that "there's a STRAIGHT BOY downstairs"...

She apparently lept out of bed to gussy herself up.

We've been together for just over eight years.

EDIT: Oh man, was this post 100,000? Because a bunch of balloons and confetti just fell on me.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: CortJstr on August 29, 2007, 05:34:48 pm
I met my girlfriend because she was roommates with one of my friends from high school, a lesbian folk-rock chick, and their whole six-girl suite at college had come up to my town for the summer Erie Canal festival and were crashing at my friend's place.

Their college, SUNY-Purchase, doesn't have that many straight men at it and... my future/current girlfriend was the only girl in the group that self-identified as bi, let alone straight... and when my friend told my future/current gal whilst napping after the four-hour drive up that "there's a STRAIGHT BOY downstairs"...

She apparently lept out of bed to gussy herself up.

We've been together for just over eight years.

EDIT: Oh man, was this post 100,000? Because a bunch of balloons and confetti just fell on me.

Damn, we'd been talking in the super-secret xxx xxxxx that we were coming up on 100,000 and now we're up to 100,003 already. Of course that doesn't count deleted posts, but still.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: linnea on August 30, 2007, 03:20:33 am
Damn, we'd been talking in the super-secret xxx xxxxx that we were coming up on 100,000 and now we're up to 100,003 already. Of course that doesn't count deleted posts, but still.

Super secret WHAT? Is there a chat room or something???
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 03:26:26 am
I think I remember there being a mod-only area of the board.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: linnea on August 30, 2007, 03:47:23 am
I think I remember there being a mod-only area of the board.

*sniffle* Can't I be a mod, too? jough?
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 01:43:38 am
Anyone who has posted more than 1500 messages might have a surprise next time you log in.  I am futzing around in the admin settings and there are interesting things there. 

There is a mods-only board, but nobody uses it unless we have another uncut asian jerkboy incident.   

Don't worry, Ash.  Your secrets are still safe. 
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: CortJstr on August 31, 2007, 03:13:28 am
Anyone who has posted more than 1500 messages might have a surprise next time you log in.  I am futzing around in the admin settings and there are interesting things there. 

There is a mods-only board, but nobody uses it unless we have another uncut asian jerkboy incident.   

Don't worry, Ash.  Your secrets are still safe. 

Surprise? Do I not have enough posts?
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 03:17:35 am
Surprise? Do I not have enough posts?

You have enough, but you were already on the list. 
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Doc on August 31, 2007, 09:11:06 am
Gah! So close.

We shall double our efforts.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: wombat on August 31, 2007, 12:30:42 pm
Anyone who has posted more than 1500 messages might have a surprise next time you log in. 

How is there going to be a next time I log in when I never log out?
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 01:09:07 pm
Okay, I meant next time you hit refresh? 

I never log out, either. 
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: smick on September 03, 2007, 04:24:03 am
I go for quality, not quantity.

(Actually I go for filling out the reply box, staring pensively at my reply, and then closing the browser while saying "They're all going to think that's stupid."  In foresight, I'm amazed that this one is going to get posted.)
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 04:34:24 am
Ha ha - I post like I play hockey. Just like Barry Melrose says, "you gotta keep throwing the puck at the net." Do not argue with the mullet!
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Doc on September 03, 2007, 08:28:01 am
(Actually I go for filling out the reply box, staring pensively at my reply, and then closing the browser while saying "They're all going to think that's stupid."  In foresight, I'm amazed that this one is going to get posted.)
This

All y'all are just too damn eloquent.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: Toaster on October 29, 2007, 10:25:58 pm
I do that, too, Smick! Literally every day. I wonder how many posts I'd have if I never chickened out on hitting "submit"...
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: theinevitable on October 29, 2007, 10:37:01 pm
um, I almost never do that. Y'all might have guessed?
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: mavies on October 30, 2007, 11:02:08 am
I've been realising that I'll have nothing interesting to say before I event start to write the post recently.. I think I've subconsciously relegated myself back to lurker status.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: jaydub on October 30, 2007, 08:11:56 pm
So long as you're still around.  I don't like to think we're boring.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 30, 2007, 08:49:43 pm
I first thought you said "boning", jay and...

I was going to agree.

I quite like you imaginary people but, man, I don't wanna think of y'all boning, either.
Title: Re: Lets be real
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2007, 08:54:53 pm
I'm totally cool with y'all boning for what it's worth.