The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 07, 2007, 03:36:58 am

Title: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2007, 03:36:58 am
Do not slip and fall in a motel shower and break a rib.  It hurts.  A lot.  And is projected to continue hurting for the next 2 - 3 weeks.

That is all.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 03:56:14 am
I marvel every day at my apparently miraculous sense of balance, which keeps me from slipping on the floor at work. It has been so close.

I am so sorry about your rib. That sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant way to injure yourself, not to mention the whole "it hurts when I breathe" thing.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2007, 03:57:44 am
I marvel every day at my apparently miraculous sense of balance, which keeps me from slipping on the floor at work. It has been so close.

I was 19 years old once.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: melack on August 07, 2007, 03:59:11 am
Wow, that's terrible. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Another option, though. You could always, you know, remove the rib and... suck your own wang. (http://www.future-forcast.co.uk/marilyn-manson.jpg)
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2007, 03:59:44 am
Do not slip and fall in a motel shower and break a rib.  It hurts.  A lot.  And is projected to continue hurting for the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Sorry to hear that Frank.  In my experience, you need to take that 2-3 weeks and multiply by 2. 
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: linnea on August 07, 2007, 04:00:47 am
Do not slip and fall in a motel shower and break a rib.  It hurts.  A lot.  And is projected to continue hurting for the next 2 - 3 weeks.

That is all.

Jesus, what do they do for that? They probably can't even tape those suckers, eh? A compression garment or something?

Ugh, that totally sucks. I'm sorry, dude.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2007, 04:02:34 am
Jesus, what do they do for that?

Vicodan.  Lots of vicodan.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2007, 04:25:00 am
Vicodan.  Lots of vicodan.

That's it.  No taping/binding etc.  Basically, they told me it's going to hurt about the same as it has been for a few weeks, then it'll quit.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 05:10:17 am
Ahh - that is a shitty deal.  I'm sorry to hear this.  If you're lucky, Achewood will continue to be medicore for the next few weeks, and you won't have to worry about laugh-induced-pain.

When our tub was brand new, it was terrifyingly slippery, to the point where I was certain I'd die.  It's still pretty slippery, but not "sudden death" slippery.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Doc on August 07, 2007, 10:48:47 am
Damn man, that sucks a very big one. For all our technology we are some pretty frail suckers sometimes.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 07, 2007, 12:08:50 pm
Get well soon, Frank. Fuck that, get well now.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2007, 01:00:17 pm
If action movies have taught me nothing else it's that a broken rib will restrict you from doing anything more strenuous than driving, firing weaponry, using melee weapons, operating heavy machinery, or doing complex martial arts maneuvers. So I hope you're back to full strength soon.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: smick on August 07, 2007, 01:33:10 pm
Yes, were this an action movie, the rib would just make you litigate vengefully.  Probably while wearing a sweaty tanktop and a headband.

Get better!
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 02:12:18 pm
AugustWest is the new Erin Brockovich. 

"Maybe you'll think twice about drinking that water.... when I tell you I fell in it!"  * audible gasps of corporate no-goodniks*
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2007, 03:43:59 pm
My father in law did something similar (slipped on a slick rock while giraffeing) and he was hurtin' for about a month, sorry to say. 

Get better.  Don't push yourself too hard.  If you need something to keep you busy while you recuperate, there's a thread in P&P that might help.  ;) 
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 03:48:18 pm
Falling is so shitty.  We spend almost our entire lives as upright beings, and to have that taken away, so suddenly, so violently,without our consent, is just as damaging to our dignity as it is to our bodies.  It's like gravity raped you.  Fuck you gravity.  Fuck you gravity.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2007, 04:12:31 pm
Falling is so shitty.  We spend almost our entire lives as upright beings, and to have that taken away, so suddenly, so violently,without our consent, is just as damaging to our dignity as it is to our bodies.  It's like gravity raped you.  Fuck you gravity.  Fuck you gravity.

Gravity is a harsh mistress.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 07, 2007, 05:24:39 pm
I think we're kind of designed stupidly.

I've shredded my ribs several times. I can always tell when it's going, and I think to myself "sweet, another month of pain".
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 05:30:38 pm
um, to clarify my intent, I did not mean to say "haha you bastard, I didn't fall!" I meant it as a comment on how strange it is that we very rarely fall. I mean... think about how much babies fall, and then realize how good you are at walking and standing. You can not only walk on a flat surface without your mom holding your hand-- you can even make your way across uneven surfaces, and perhaps even run. this is a marvel.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2007, 05:33:49 pm
I think we're kind of designed stupidly.

You're preaching to the choir here. Just look at our "shoddy testicular workmanship" thread.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 07, 2007, 05:36:16 pm
You're preaching to the choir here. Just look at our "shoddy testicular workmanship" thread.

Well, I didn't mean that. I have stellar testicles.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: side_show on August 07, 2007, 05:37:52 pm
Last time I fell was in winter, when I was walking with my boss.  My boss!  So embarrassing.  Flat on my ass too.  But, really for an adult, I think the best way to fall is on your ass.  There's a nice natural cushion there.

What ever you do, don't fall on your balls.  Symmetrical or not, it is not a place to fall.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2007, 06:20:52 pm
the body-positioning necessary for that would make it even more painful (emotionally, I guess.)

I just had the thought that next time someone I know injures their testiculars, I am going to say "that pain? it's natural selection. Darwin is so mad at you for injuring your balls."

...ok, that sounded better in my head.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: jaydub on August 07, 2007, 08:39:37 pm
For all our technology we are some pretty frail suckers sometimes.
Nothing will remind you of this fact faster than a bad back.  I hurt mine as a 19 year old, then again at 23 and 25.  Always with something dumb like picking up a pencil or stepping off a curb.  Always with the doctors look sad and helpless and warning me not to stay lying on the floor or bed too long.  Thankfully its been 13 years now without a major relapse, and I've done hell of conditioning and posture training and so forth to keep the odds on my side, but I know I was in superior shape the last two times I wrecked it too - and I'm not as springy as I was then...
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: jay-ell on August 09, 2007, 03:42:24 am
Well, I didn't mean that. I have stellar testicles.

They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 09, 2007, 03:48:00 am
They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 

thats nothing, mine are ditrigonal icosidodecahedron shaped.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: nDed on August 09, 2007, 04:25:03 am
Does everyone on the internet have polygonal junk?
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: dejavroom on August 09, 2007, 03:00:05 pm
Wow, hearing your own bones breaking must be the rawest deal... Sorry, it's eleven a.m. and I'm baked already.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 09, 2007, 03:49:43 pm
They're star-shaped?!?!?!! 

Send photos. 

Of course not. I just meant they shine brightly like a beacon in the darkness.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 09, 2007, 05:06:55 pm
They're not all they're cracked up to be. My wife has to wear a welding hood during oral sex.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: mavies on August 29, 2007, 12:07:14 pm
Damn, man. I hope your rib situation is improved! Hopefully they were right, and it's sorted by now.

I almost joined you as a slippery shower victim last night. I had the bright idea of going in after a bottle of wine. I'm standing with my back to the curtain, and standing on one leg. I do that a lot for reasons unkown, stupidly dangerous as it is. Next thing I know my foot goes out from under me, the side of the bath forces my leg to bend, and i fall backwards. The back of my head/neck was exactly in line with the edge of the toilet. I somehow managed to get my arms behind me, in the nick of time. If I hadn't, man, I think I'd be lucky to escape with all my motor functions. I reckon I'd have just straight-up broken my spine. I had all my weight behind me, and I'm a fairly tall dude, so the velocity would likely have just shattered it. A fuck*ng close shave and a half it was. Afterwards I picked myself up, sat on the edge of the bath and just laughed for a good 10 minutes, just happy to be intact.

I don't mean to out-do you or anything, but give me a broken rib any day. My biggest fear is being paralyzed, and I think I came pretty fuck*ng close last night. I've gotten all shaky just thinking about it.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2007, 03:08:16 pm
Thanks for asking.

It's much improved, but there are still a few twinges throughout the day. 

All and all an experience I don't care to repeat.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2007, 09:00:01 pm
Damn, man. I hope your rib situation is improved! Hopefully they were right, and it's sorted by now.

I almost joined you as a slippery shower victim last night. I had the bright idea of going in after a bottle of wine. I'm standing with my back to the curtain, and standing on one leg. I do that a lot for reasons unkown, stupidly dangerous as it is. Next thing I know my foot goes out from under me, the side of the bath forces my leg to bend, and i fall backwards. The back of my head/neck was exactly in line with the edge of the toilet. I somehow managed to get my arms behind me, in the nick of time. If I hadn't, man, I think I'd be lucky to escape with all my motor functions. I reckon I'd have just straight-up broken my spine. I had all my weight behind me, and I'm a fairly tall dude, so the velocity would likely have just shattered it. A fuck*ng close shave and a half it was. Afterwards I picked myself up, sat on the edge of the bath and just laughed for a good 10 minutes, just happy to be intact.

I don't mean to out-do you or anything, but give me a broken rib any day. My biggest fear is being paralyzed, and I think I came pretty fuck*ng close last night. I've gotten all shaky just thinking about it.

11 posts and already we're hearing about your deathwish? No, man, you seem like a good dude. Do not destroy yourself. It will be hard for you to post on here using a wand in your mouth.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2007, 07:35:53 am
Damn, man. I hope your rib situation is improved! Hopefully they were right, and it's sorted by now.

I almost joined you as a slippery shower victim last night. I had the bright idea of going in after a bottle of wine. I'm standing with my back to the curtain, and standing on one leg. I do that a lot for reasons unkown, stupidly dangerous as it is. Next thing I know my foot goes out from under me, the side of the bath forces my leg to bend, and i fall backwards. The back of my head/neck was exactly in line with the edge of the toilet. I somehow managed to get my arms behind me, in the nick of time. If I hadn't, man, I think I'd be lucky to escape with all my motor functions. I reckon I'd have just straight-up broken my spine. I had all my weight behind me, and I'm a fairly tall dude, so the velocity would likely have just shattered it. A fuck*ng close shave and a half it was. Afterwards I picked myself up, sat on the edge of the bath and just laughed for a good 10 minutes, just happy to be intact.

I don't mean to out-do you or anything, but give me a broken rib any day. My biggest fear is being paralyzed, and I think I came pretty fuck*ng close last night. I've gotten all shaky just thinking about it.

Took me a minute to figure out that you weren't getting a bottle of wine out of your shower. Glad you are not paralyzed, though.
Title: Re: A mote of friendly advice...
Post by: mavies on August 30, 2007, 09:56:01 am
Me too! Possibly even more glad than you. I can't imagine paralysation being much fun. I mean, it's not like I actually move much as it is, but at least the option is there. It's no deathwish, quite the contrary. It's my triumphing over slippery bathtubs with my hyper-keen reflexes. Perhaps I'd be better just off sitting down next time.