The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Golfhaus on August 12, 2007, 05:09:22 pm

Title: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Golfhaus on August 12, 2007, 05:09:22 pm
http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/12_memorable_newspaper_comic (http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/12_memorable_newspaper_comic)

Not surprisingly, the death of Farley in For Better or For Worse topped the list. The surprise, though, is that #12 on the list was Garfield. Wha-huh? Garfield died? Some think he did, in 1989, during this week-long story arc (http://garfield.com/comics/comics_archives_strip.html?1989-ga891023). The idea is that Garfield was dying, left behind in the abandoned Arbuckle household, and is imagining a better life for himself in his dying moments, and THOSE moments are the strip we see in the paper every day.

Double-you. Tee. Eff.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: side_show on August 12, 2007, 05:37:08 pm
Yeah, I caught this article too...

I don't know what to make of the whole Garfield thing... I read the actual strips, and don't know what to make of them.  Maybe it was Davis struggling with the fact he made horrible pap?  It's extremely vague.

(edit:  Here's a link to a Garfield is Dead (http://garfieldisdead.ytmnd.com/) site that has all the strips)
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: wombat on August 12, 2007, 05:50:07 pm
Did For Better or Worse used to not suck, or have my standards just gotten higher? I swear it didn't used to suck this hard. I swear that when Farley died, it was a good strip back then.

And yet I can't stop reading it, like staring at a train wreck. The Technical Staff gave up reading newspaper comics years ago, so I can't rant to him.  I have to read The Comics Cumudgeon (http://joshreads.com/) to get it out of my system.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: pmcd9 on August 12, 2007, 07:04:30 pm
Did For Better or Worse used to not suck, or have my standards just gotten higher? I swear it didn't used to suck this hard. I swear that when Farley died, it was a good strip back then.

And yet I can't stop reading it, like staring at a train wreck. The Technical Staff gave up reading newspaper comics years ago, so I can't rant to him.  I have to read The Comics Cumudgeon (http://joshreads.com/) to get it out of my system.

OMG thank you Wombat.  I thought I was all alone.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Golfhaus on August 12, 2007, 07:12:02 pm
It appears Jim Davis was just taking the piss (http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/09/death_of_garfield_my.html). Still, though, them's some creepy strips.

Newspaper comics have it rough. They're competing critically with the Internet comics, but have to maintain the newspaper comic status quo. I'd much rather be in Onstad's position than someone like Aaron McGruder.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: wombat on August 12, 2007, 07:13:33 pm
We are so not alone Paul - I just discovered that their messageboard has a thread called "When FBOFW Jumped the Shark." (http://joshreads.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=985)
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 12, 2007, 09:33:33 pm
Funky Winkerbean is still good, there's a lot out there about Tom Batiuk right now, because in a few months there will be a major death on that strip that a lot of people are already hung up about. He's done very interesting things with that strip since he started drawing it back in (I think) the late 70s or early 80s.

Interested in the process of doing a comic for much of  your life? (http://www.funkywinkerbean.com/bio.html)

Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Nabubrush on August 12, 2007, 10:07:54 pm
I so wish Marvin was dead. SIDS, anyone?
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: jough on August 13, 2007, 12:16:53 pm
Didn't Marmaduke get decapitated by a passing garbage truck that he ran in front of?  I think I remember that one from when I was a kid...
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Doc on August 13, 2007, 12:25:49 pm
I never read newspaper comics regularly but FBofW definitely used to be good when I did read it.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: jay-ell on August 13, 2007, 02:07:01 pm
The Garfield thing totally creeps me out.  I used to watch the Garfield holiday specials as a kid, and they could be pretty dark.  Remember the Halloween one with the ghost pirate ship?  Or the heartbreaking one where Garfield finds his birth mother?  But this takes the cake. 

Now that I've re-read them, I have a vague impression that I saw them at the time -- which makes sense, as I would have been ten when they ran.  But I think I was too young for them to really sink in or make sense.  I will have to ask my father about these.  He would remember, and I'm interested in his impressions. 

This makes the current strip much more interesting.  Much like imagining that someone in the Family Circus is having kinky sex just out of panel.  Or that Marmaduke is just about to be taken in the backyard and shot. 

I long for the days when comic strips were enjoyable without self-deceit. 
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Golfhaus on August 13, 2007, 11:58:40 pm
This makes the current strip much more interesting.  Much like imagining that someone in the Family Circus is having kinky sex just out of panel.  Or that Marmaduke is just about to be taken in the backyard and shot. 

Man, I miss the DFC.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Doc on August 14, 2007, 02:29:38 am
I don't. (http://dfc.furr.org/index.html)
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2007, 03:02:07 am
Oh yeah, the archives are great, but getting a green was a special feeling.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Nabubrush on August 14, 2007, 03:15:11 am
Oh yeah, the archives are great, but getting a green was a special feeling.

You are an internet stud.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Doc on August 14, 2007, 03:23:31 am
Indeed
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2007, 03:48:36 am
You are an internet stud.

Also, an extremely rare feeling.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: smick on August 14, 2007, 03:46:54 pm
I have a couple greens in the archive myself.

So... how many of us were old Spinn readers?
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Golfhaus on August 15, 2007, 01:33:02 am
I have a couple greens in the archive myself.

So... how many of us were old Spinn readers?

At one point, I had a "rank" on his forum that basically equated to "one under the people that actually help me run the site." I won two of his contests. I think I had two greens, but one was for #500 where damn near everything got in.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2007, 02:34:37 am
Spinn did post on this board a few times.
Title: Re: 12 Memorable newspaper comic-strip deaths
Post by: Nabubrush on August 15, 2007, 02:48:21 am
Spinn did post on this board a few times.

I remember that.