The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2007, 08:31:53 am

Title: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: Nabubrush on August 18, 2007, 08:31:53 am
Ok, most of you on top of it and with it folks know all about the St. James Infirmary Blues. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Infirmary_Blues)
Here's some discussion of the song and the New Orleans connection. (http://nonotes.wordpress.com/)
Nobody knows where the song originated (Joe Primrose?), but it's a classic in the American blues/folk tradition. Who covered it? Who didn't?
Henry "Red" Allen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwXTJDSkyE&mode=related&search=)
Louis Armstrong.
Bobby Bland.
James Booker.
Eric Burdon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E803TDYZ-yQ)
Eric Clapton & Dr. John (full disclosure: I hate Eric Clapton and think he is a necrophile). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA21UmUquI&mode=related&search=)
Scatman Crothers.
The Doors.
Duke Ellington (music only, on Victrola?) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krfH1LOz_U4)
Benny Goodman.
Arlo Guthrie (especially good). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa1pV81p1So)
Jules Holland & Tom Jones. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hxa7PiWAhY&mode=related&search=)
Stan Kenton.
Roger McGuinn (on 7-string). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwjgJ5byywo)
Van Morrison. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glWk0B5VIWc)
Lou Rawls.
Django Reinhardt.
Kermit Ruffins. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-atDxmfnIrI&mode=related&search=)
Artie Shaw.
The Stray Cats.
Jack Teagraden.
Dave Van Ronk.
White Stripes (music only). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArS_et9gX-0)
Jackie Wilson.

Also, the Metropolis anime clip. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Q1UZQRefo)
And, puppets. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pQedxuI0g)
And, whatever this is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZPdAlgWvY&mode=related&search=)

Why did I miss Cab Calloway? Because:

Cab Calloway. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSvJHHjak0)
Also, Cab Calloway. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAmxXrjVVsM&mode=related&search=)
The full-length, and if I do say so, as dope as the Superstition viddy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOz8q1Rh9as) Cab Calloway? Back in the day, sexy as fuck.

So, that's what I got this evening. I love this song like no other. I hope you enjoyed this, and I am terribly, terribly sorry I don't have more links to the music noted above. Anyway, enjoy.
Title: Re: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2007, 05:17:40 pm
Excellent!  Thanks for your efforts.
Title: Re: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: Limmo on August 18, 2007, 11:11:06 pm
Lily Tomlin performed it during her first appearance on Saturday Night Live.  The performance is available on the Season One DVD box that came out last year.

It is not available on YouTube.  Most of what you find there are the two unpleasant incidents on the set of I Heart Huckabees, the contemplation of which pains me. 
Title: Re: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2007, 11:22:32 pm
Lily Tomlin performed it during her first appearance on Saturday Night Live.  The performance is available on the Season One DVD box that came out last year.


I remember watching that live and being highly bored.  My tastes have improved since 7th grade.
Title: Re: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: Limmo on August 19, 2007, 01:48:21 am
Well, good for you.
Title: Re: I got some of those St. James Infirmary Blues
Post by: Nabubrush on August 19, 2007, 02:38:42 am
It turns out that last Cab Calloway link wasn't what I thought it was. My computer was acting up last night. I'm glad some of you folks enjoyed this.