The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 20, 2007, 05:23:07 am

Title: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: AugustWest on August 20, 2007, 05:23:07 am
...was a fuck*ng genius. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMKqCJ2eLw&mode=related&search=)

That is all.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Beatrice on September 04, 2007, 05:20:39 pm
yeah, and cocking that subsequently wasted an hour of my life.  but in a good way.

edit: CLICK!  hahaha
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2007, 08:26:12 pm
the first time I ever remember thinking my parents were extremely foolish was when I said that I loved Andy Kaufman and they said he was an idiot who wasn't funny. I remember this moment very specifically.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 04, 2007, 10:37:59 pm
The first time I ever saw Andy Kaufman was on an SNL rerun, about to do the Mighty penis routine, and my father pointed to me and said:

"Always remember this, Mike. This is the funniest thing ever done."

...and goddamn it, he was right!

It was kind of like those commericals where the dude reminisces about watching Hank Aaron's 715 shot with his dad, except with awesome people instead.

...but Andy wasn't tough enough...
...big time wrestling can be so rough...
...no, Andy wasn't tough enough...
...so he had to wrestle women...
...Andy always dreamed of wrestling...
...oooooo... oooo... ooo... oooo....
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 04, 2007, 11:23:04 pm
I sort of like Andy Kaufman, but it's always that ironic enjoyment. I don't like him as much as I like, say, Richard Pryor. It isn't that I like him in a different way, it's just I like that laugh out loud funny more than the absurdist, Dada humor. Maybe that's not the case, though. Maybe it's just because I've seen it so much by now. It's kind of meta to appreciate it now, though, because part of the enjoyment is thinking about how the people who were watching it originally must have just been blown out of their shoes. Of course, that's key to the enjoyment of his work - the appreciation of how many if not most of his audience became angry and felt cheated, to an extent.

Complicated guy. Not as easily dealt with as a fellow like Andrew Dice Clay.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 04, 2007, 11:25:13 pm
My two favourite stand-ups of all time... Bill Hicks and Andy Kaufman.

I think I'm a big fan of confrontational-meets-thought-provoking.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: jaydub on September 05, 2007, 12:31:38 am
My two favourite stand-ups of all time... Bill Hicks and Andy Kaufman.

I think I'm a big fan of confrontational-meets-thought-provoking.

Not to mention dead.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 05, 2007, 12:36:40 am
AK was thought provoking and confrontational? i guess i just kind of saw him as a jim carrey funnyman.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2007, 01:45:04 am
AK was thought provoking and confrontational? i guess i just kind of saw him as a jim carrey funnyman.

And by 'saw' you mean 'only saw him on Taxi'?
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 05, 2007, 01:53:01 am
And by 'saw' you mean 'only saw him on Taxi'?

Im not saying i fucked the guy, im just saying thats my impression of him from what material ive been exposed to.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2007, 01:54:38 am
And I am saying Dumb and Dumber didn't seem much to me like a guy lip-syncing to Mighty penis. But what the fuck do I know?
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 05, 2007, 03:18:20 am
arachnocapitalist, do a little research on the guy's stand-up work and you will not be disappointed.

Kaufman perfected the art of... comedy as the performer making himself laugh and then you're laughing by identifying with his amusement at you. It is kind of Comedy Perfected.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 07, 2007, 04:33:09 am
Andy Kaufman? Andy Kaufman good. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03292007)
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: side_show on September 07, 2007, 01:33:16 pm
The whole idea that he's still alive out there somewhere is really enjoyable to me.  I doubt it's true though.  But the milk and cookies kid in me believes just a little bit.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: troublecat on September 07, 2007, 09:44:21 pm
I got really excited in 2004, since it was the twentieth anniversary of his death (AK having said that if he faked his death, he'd come back twenty years later).  When he didn't come back, I thought maybe he did actually fake his death, but then managed to accidentally die while waiting for the twenty years to be up.  That would suck.

But yeah, there's always that crazy glimmer of hope that somewhere, Andy Kaufman is still alive, and laughing at all the people who think he's dead.  It's a nice thought.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2007, 01:05:25 am
I got really excited in 2004, since it was the twentieth anniversary of his death (AK having said that if he faked his death, he'd come back twenty years later).  When he didn't come back, I thought maybe he did actually fake his death, but then managed to accidentally die while waiting for the twenty years to be up.  That would suck.

But yeah, there's always that crazy glimmer of hope that somewhere, Andy Kaufman is still alive, and laughing at all the people who think he's dead.  It's a nice thought.

He he. This cracked me up. Andy's all sitting on the couch, feeling that pain in his chest and his arm is going numb, and he's thinking "fuck, this is going to fuck up the best joke in the world!" And the next thing he knows, there's the Grim Reaper, and he's telling Andy "you want to talk about funny?"
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Doc on September 09, 2007, 01:25:28 am
But the better joke would have been someone coming out with a story of someone dying at some point in the last 20 years who could have been Andy, then they exhume the coffin to try to match the body against dental records and Andy pops out in zombie make-up.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2007, 06:57:10 am
Andy's final gift was that he made us so paranoid about the realities of the actions surrounding his life that... he granted us a kind of magic.

A dis-suspension of belief, we'll call it, that allows us to rationally consider that a man who died of lung cancer over twenty years ago might've actually been alive all along.

Might've devoted his fortune and the middle age of his life to the fulfillment of the world's greatest prank and, in that, cheated death in a way that is essentially the fundamental dream of all people... to live after living, for death itself to be a trick and we might all retreat into Heaven or some other kind of hiding.

Might still step off the spaceship with Bigfoot and Elvis next Tuesday and say hello.

In reflection of Andy's life we're left with the plausable magic of a man who just might've been able to put it off. Something incredible and fantastic and yet we cannot fully dismiss it... the concept sticks to the ribs of our souls like peanut butter. That death can be cheated after all.

The same way a man can play a character for a time and... by never admitting that he is this character... can make everyone think they are in on the trick. Think that they are in on a little joke when Tony Clifton is on David Letterman cursing Andy Kaufman for stealing his act when... haha, everyone "knows" that's Andy Kaufman as reinforced by all the denials.

When, really, that's his friend Bob in the make-up on Letterman but we're all so convinced that Tony is Andy that we overlook the obvious physical differences of the men inside the costume and chalk them up to "how good that costume is, how good Andy is as becoming another person"...

And Andy's brother is playing the Tony character in Reno at the exact same moment as Letterman is airing, even though Letterman doesn't air live... especially because it doesn't... we can believe that he took some incredibly fast private jet from NYC to Reno and the "joke" is the tape delay...

When, really, Andy was in Sherman Oaks California the whole day, fuck*ng groupies and laughing his ass off.

Since this is true, we must... ever so briefly... honestly and unironically consider the idea that if he could pull that off, he could maybe maybe maybe have pulled off faking his own death, too.

We must embrace the possibility of the fantastic, if only for a twinkling, and that itself is magic.

I like to believe that he's alive and that the twenty-years promise was the cherry on top.

Of COURSE he wouldn't show up on the day he promised he would. He's Andy!

The last thing he would've done was show up on the day he had promised... he'd definitely be fuck*ng groupies and laughing his ass off in Sherman Oaks on THAT day, more than any other.

And the magic continues, you know?

I'm rambling, I'm rambling.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2007, 07:47:37 am
Mets has drank the kook aid.

Andy Kaufman is dead.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2007, 08:49:19 am
Of course he's actually dead. That's the point.

He's actually dead but he laid misdirection out there so thickly that you have to CONSIDER that he isn't, at least for a moment.

I'm just rambling more than usual because I'm hallucinatorially dehydrated from... uhm... some of the most awful intestinal distress I've ever experienced in my life. Oh man.

Mea culpa.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Doc on September 09, 2007, 09:42:10 am
Don't listen to Paul, he's just messing with you because he's in on it.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2007, 06:42:14 pm
Don't listen to Paul, he's just messing with you because he's in on it.

Don't tell anybody I told you this, but...


Paul IS Andy Kaufman.
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: linnea on September 09, 2007, 06:50:58 pm
Don't tell anybody I told you this, but...


Paul IS Andy Kaufman.

GASP! I thought he was the Walrus?
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2007, 07:34:14 pm
GASP! I thought he was the Walrus?

That would explain the mustache
Title: Re: Andy Kaufman...
Post by: Doc on September 10, 2007, 05:17:29 am
GASP! I thought he was the Walrus?

Can I be the eggman?