The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Toaster on August 22, 2007, 06:53:26 pm

Title: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Toaster on August 22, 2007, 06:53:26 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08222007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08222007)

The first panel made me laugh out loud in that abrupt-setup way. As in, "What in Hell is Phillipe wearing? Oh, it's a party hat? Is there a party?" Seriously, almost every panel was funny in a different way.

All in media res. All floating timeline. All unreliable narrator.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: gloomba on August 22, 2007, 07:03:44 pm
It's interesting that Philippe is five and is having a birthday where he turns five.  I know it's an inevitable consequence of having characters that don't age, but it always seems weird to me.  Does that mean that his previous birthdays (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005) take place on the same day as this strip, or does this replace them in continuity, or does he literally just turn five again every year?  And if so, when was he actually born?  I got distracted by thinking about that and couldn't really enjoy the rest of the strip, sorry.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on August 22, 2007, 07:09:32 pm
I got distracted by thinking about that and couldn't really enjoy the rest of the strip, sorry.

Repeat to yourself: "It's just a show, I really should relax."

For Todd T. T. T. Squirrel snorting bloooooooooooow!
(schoop-woosh-clank-creak-bonk-wooooosh)


Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: gloomba on August 22, 2007, 07:14:01 pm
(schoop-woosh-clank-creak-bonk-wooooosh)

"pizza"
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Toaster on August 22, 2007, 07:14:17 pm
I like to think about the biological implications of alive stuffed animals. I was talking to my mom about this just the other day. For example:


Freaky shit, man.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: CortJstr on August 22, 2007, 07:15:09 pm
Todd doing cocaine at Ray was actually pretty good. I had never thought of this before. No one said it could be done.

My first thought was flashing back to Todd's last stint in rehab. He loves leeches! He's always getting his leech on!
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: wombat on August 22, 2007, 07:19:36 pm
My first thought was that Onstad had finally lost his mind. I know, don't ask me to explain what makes this different from all the previous strips he's ever done.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: AugustWest on August 22, 2007, 07:33:09 pm
Aw, this is kind of a touching strip.

Even Todd can come up with a thoughtful gift for Phillippe's birthday.

The gift of not-really-doing-cocaine. 

So sweet.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: xSxFx on August 22, 2007, 07:35:01 pm
My first thought was that Onstad had finally lost his mind. I know, don't ask me to explain what makes this different from all the previous strips he's ever done.
I registered to say Wombat is right.

(yes, you can quote me on that)

Never before has there been a strip in Achewood that would have compelled me to exercise the full power of LOL WUT.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 22, 2007, 07:49:26 pm
Also Philippe's underarm bowtie.  A normal man would wear it above the shoulders.  A (retarded?) otter wears it under.

SNIFF SNAFF SNOOF is excellent.  And if Todd ain't snorting cocaines, what WAS he inhaling?

The gift of not-really-doing-cocaine is a great one.  I'll break that out at the next wedding reception I am obliged to attend.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: CortJstr on August 22, 2007, 07:52:20 pm
My first thought was that Onstad had finally lost his mind. I know, don't ask me to explain what makes this different from all the previous strips he's ever done.

I dunno. It seems an awful lot like Philippe's birthday 2 years ago (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005) to me.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Drastic Action on August 22, 2007, 08:26:21 pm
I especially like the parody of a typical comic chase scene of panel 7.  Except, instead of a guy running after a pet who just ate his hamburger, it is Ray chasing Todd because he is doing cocaine during a five-year-old's birthday.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Beatrice on August 22, 2007, 09:34:13 pm
todd is totally coked out.  only a coke head would think this is a good idea. 

i wonder what other "cocaine ideas" onstad considered.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: wombat on August 22, 2007, 10:57:29 pm
I registered to say Wombat is right.

(yes, you can quote me on that)


And so I will!
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: melack on August 22, 2007, 11:42:55 pm
I would just like to say that I laughed really hard at several panels of this strip, especially this thread's titular panel.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: linnea on August 22, 2007, 11:44:41 pm
I agree with Wombat, although the strip was pretty funny nonetheless. Also, turbo, the underarm bowtie was the first thing I noticed. Maybe it's because Philippe doesn't really have much of a neck to speak of.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: wombat on August 23, 2007, 12:20:41 am
I agree with Wombat, although the strip was pretty funny nonetheless.

Well, sure. It's not necessarily a bad thing...
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: melack on August 23, 2007, 12:24:12 am
Haha, I didn't notice that underarm bowtie until you pointed it out. So in this strip we see Onstad having to construct makeshift solutions to two problems posed by the Phillipe character: he doesn't age and his arms extend up to his mouth.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: wombat on August 23, 2007, 01:14:26 am
The other day the Technical Staff opined that Andrew Zimmern of that Bizarre Foods show on the Travel Channel looks like Philippe. It's the shape of his head. Maybe that's what Philippe would look like if he ever grows up and puts on a little weight.

Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Doc on August 23, 2007, 03:07:02 am
I thoroughly enjoy Phillipe birthday strips. Is this going to be a new recurring theme?
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 23, 2007, 03:41:30 am
People have done cocaine at me and it turns the party in an awkward situation. "Wow *blank* is really talkative and insistent since he came out of the bathroom... I guess we should just agree with his point and move into another room where he isn't" Blank tried to argue that our rugby team should take over  every the regulatory body and tell everyone to mellow out.

I wonder if i can give my mother this birthday present. All jumping out of a locked room, sniffling and talking, and then go "surprise! Happy Birthday, your son isn't a cokehead!" At which point she would probably convinced that I am in fact a cokehead.

Wombat has a lurker admirer... thats cool.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: theinevitable on August 23, 2007, 03:48:25 am
yeah, um, I commented recently "wow, nic was so happy to see me! I mean, he hugged me! I didn't know he was such a nice guy is all."

"daniel... you're kidding. right? are you joking?"

yeah, apparently every time I have thought any of those people were being nice, they were drunk or high or coked up.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: xSxFx on August 23, 2007, 08:46:26 am
Wombat has a lurker admirer... thats cool.

but i dont liek u

Also, I think it's the combination of the drug thematic, the dark shades, the especially animated Todd and Ray's Fanny & Alexander -esque tux that combine to give this strip its eerie weirdness. It's a lot more disturbing to me than Beef being pregnant, because really, the governor of California already did all that. But he never did coke at anyone in a dark room during a fifth birthday party. Far as we know.

Also, the fact that it's today's strip posted yesterday adds to the eeriness.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Leon on August 23, 2007, 11:27:22 am
I share Philippe's birthday!

Man what a birthday strip

no-one gave me an non-addiction present though
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 23, 2007, 11:46:15 am
but i dont liek u

Aw, and I get a flame post from the guy! I'm really not sorry I don't "liek" meet your approval.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: xSxFx on August 23, 2007, 12:42:36 pm
Apologies for the highly obscure meme reference. I now have negative cans, but luckily some have taken them as their ticket to success.

My gift of contrition to you is that I am not addicted to PCP.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: CortJstr on August 23, 2007, 12:54:41 pm
Apologies for the highly obscure meme reference. I now have negative cans, but luckily some have taken them as their ticket to success.

My gift of contrition to you is that I am not addicted to PCP.

Oh, my first thought was that this was an Asobi Seksu reference, but the spelling probably should've tipped me off that I was wrong.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: jough on August 23, 2007, 01:09:58 pm
It's interesting that Philippe is five and is having a birthday where he turns five...Does that mean that his previous birthdays (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005) take place on the same day as this strip, or does this replace them in continuity, or does he literally just turn five again every year?

The theological implications are staggering.

Quote
And if so, when was he actually born?

Five years ago. See, he just turned five.

I have to say, Onstad really brought the thunder today.  I was sitting here, my tube of "Meh" already extracted from the medicine cabinet, and I was ready to perform my now only semi-regular macabre dance of reading the strip just to be non-plussed by it, and then yesterday I laugh (out loud!) twice, and then today I'm just flabbergasted by the sheer joie de cocaine and something necessary and yet unexpected in each panel.

This is Achewood at its finest.  Could we have another GOF in our future?

Also, I am such a nerd that when I type "GOF" I think "Gang of Four," even though I am the one abbreviating it.

Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 23, 2007, 04:16:28 pm
Quote from: The  News
U.S. Customs Seizes Sub Full of Coke     
Aug 23 10:23 AM US/Eastern               
MEXICO CITY (AP) - A submarine-like vessel filled with hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cocaine was seized off the Guatemalan coast, U.S. officials said.

Four suspected smugglers were operating the self-propelled, semi- submersible vessel when it was located and seized on Sunday evening by officials from the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, U.S. Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard, the Border Patrol said in a news release Wednesday.

When the suspects realized they had been spotted by drug-surveillance aircraft patrolling the eastern Pacific, they scuttled the vessel but were unable to escape.

Coast Guard officials, guided by the reconnaissance plane, intercepted the vessel and detained the reputed smugglers, who were transporting approximately 5.5 tons of cocaine worth $352 million, the Border Patrol said.

Several drug-carrying submarines operated by Colombian drug cartels have been discovered in recent years.

Man... why do we have to bring submersibles  into this? Little south american submarine all puttin along with 5.5 tons of cocaine. Give that thing to some marine biologists or something, don't be moving contraband plant extract.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: MrCB on August 23, 2007, 04:17:13 pm
Also, I am such a nerd that when I type "GOF" I think "Gang of Four," even though I am the one abbreviating it.

Shhhh....! *pushes the book out of sight....*
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: hoogli44 on August 23, 2007, 04:39:22 pm
I love how Ray says "Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!" You don't pull that sh*t with Ray, Todd! That might fly with Lyle or Blister or Blister's Ghost! But not with Ray!
It's almost like Ray has seen Todd do cocaine at someone before.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: theinevitable on August 23, 2007, 05:10:58 pm
I am always amazed when shit like that gets caught. I always think "damn, that was such a good plan. whitey would never figure that out."
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: linnea on August 23, 2007, 05:32:31 pm
I am always amazed when shit like that gets caught. I always think "damn, that was such a good plan. whitey would never figure that out."

That kind of move takes some serious cajones, dude. "Listen up, fellas. I bought us a submarine and we're gonna move 4,989 kilos of cocaine into the US." I wonder if this was the maiden voyage or if they'd done it before. Crazy. I almost feel bad for them - dudes, you put all your eggs into one basket and now they've all been seized. But then I come to my senses and think about all the people who get killed because of the drug trade.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 23, 2007, 05:52:05 pm
Yea, they really went balls out on this one. No balloons up anuses for them. Im kind of curious as to what the hell they were going to do with all that dope once they hit the border. Four little guys with 5.5 tons of anything is a little ridiculous. Were they going to just straight up dock a submarine and hold out till the big rig arrives? The world is a fuck*ng complicated place and we are fuck*ng complicated people.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: jaydub on August 23, 2007, 07:18:51 pm
"Listen up, fellas. I bought us a submarine and we're gonna move 4,989 kilos of cocaine into the US."
Im kind of curious as to what the hell they were going to do with all that dope once they hit the border. Four little guys with 5.5 tons of anything is a little ridiculous. Were they going to just straight up dock a submarine and hold out till the big rig arrives?

The power of the free market (black as this one may be) is something awesome to behold.  Stuff like this is why the war on drugs is such a futile enterprise (or a Sisyphian cash cow if you're in drug suppressing law enforcement).  Bomb the Colombians, burn Afghanistan to the ground, encircle the US in razorwire and laser-wielding rednecks - all it does is make the trade more lucrative.  Constant demand, decreasing supply, profits through the roof = bulging prisons of losers willing to gamble and lose for a chance at the big payoff.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: kage23 on August 23, 2007, 07:45:28 pm
It's interesting that Philippe is five and is having a birthday where he turns five.  I know it's an inevitable consequence of having characters that don't age, but it always seems weird to me.  Does that mean that his previous birthdays (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005) take place on the same day as this strip, or does this replace them in continuity, or does he literally just turn five again every year?  And if so, when was he actually born?  I got distracted by thinking about that and couldn't really enjoy the rest of the strip, sorry.

I don't know, I think it makes at least some amount of sense. I mean, I've had stuffed animals before, and they never grew. Granted, they weren't alive, but they always stayed the same size/shape. If Phillippe is an Alive Stuffed Five-Year-Old Otter, then he will always be five years old. Similarly, Cornelius must have always been, if not old, at least sophisticated.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Lister on August 24, 2007, 06:38:59 am
"pizza"

I get this.  I am amused.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 09:00:06 pm
Quote
(http://media.newsobserver.com/smedia/2007/08/24/14/71-WilliamTinnen.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg)
Durham police have arrested a 93-year-old man on cocaine-trafficking and related charges.

William C. Tinnen was arrested Thursday during a raid at 204 Teel St., police said in a news release issued today. Police spokeswoman Kammie Michael said she assumed police had a tip that drug activity was taking place there.

In addition to trafficking, Tinnen is charged with possession of cocaine with the intent to sell or deliver, possession of drug paraphernalia and maintaining a dwelling for the sale of drugs. Officers also confiscated three firearms from the house. Investigators confiscated 11 grams of cocaine, 70 grams of methamphetamine and a Ford pickup truck.

because owning a ford pickup truck is evidently a crime.

Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: iron_felix on August 27, 2007, 08:43:24 am
Does that mean that his previous birthdays (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08222005) take place on the same day as this strip, or does this replace them in continuity, or does he literally just turn five again every year?  And if so, when was he actually born?

Philippe is five.  He was born in 1997. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01082003)  Last Wednesday was his fifth birthday.  Earlier, he was probably older than that. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10232001)  He has always been a little retarded.

I'd also like to point out re: this whole cocaine sub deal:  Don't give those guys too much credit for their ingenuity.  Believe it or not, moving coke with submarines actually isn't a new idea.  Nor was theirs the ballsiest execution (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/915059.stm) of that idea, for that matter.
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: jay-ell on August 27, 2007, 04:55:56 pm
because owning a ford pickup truck is evidently a crime.



Yay!  This took place in the next city over from where I live!  Go, Durham Police!  Keep those elderly drug traffickers off the street.  I guess that's one way to save money on incarcerating criminals.  Wait 'til they're at death's door, then arrest them. 

Cocaine keeps him young. 
Title: Re: August 22, 2007 - "Don't do cocaine at me, you son of a bitch!"
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2007, 04:58:12 pm
oh, damn, that Durham?? That Durham is cool.