The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jough on August 24, 2007, 05:37:02 pm

Title: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on August 24, 2007, 05:37:02 pm
Hey kids,

I got an Xbox 360 this week, due to Bioshock, and thought it may be nice to blow some of your heads off in a good FPS game.  Alternately, I understand some games have co-op play which may be cool too.

So c'mon, pony-up your Xbox Live! gamertag.  I'm "joughdempsey" - not original and hip, but whatever.

Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2007, 05:39:01 pm
i have not ponied up to get xboxlive, especially due to leaving tomorrow for St Louis. Also, I don't have Bioshock. My suite is going to have a 360, maybe we will go in on xboxlive? probably not.

so, no, sorry. that would be cool, though.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on August 24, 2007, 06:13:53 pm
Well, I was thinking we could play something other than Bioshock.

Let me know your gamertag anyway so I can make fun of you for playing Viva Pinata for 14 hours straight.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2007, 08:47:16 pm
I don't have xbox live, so, there is no way to know how much I play Viva Pinata.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2007, 10:32:25 pm
I don't have xbox live, so, there is no way to know how much I play Viva Pinata.

Oh, we know all about how much you play "Viva Pinata", if that's what you kids are calling it these days. It's disgusting, I tell you.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on August 25, 2007, 05:33:25 am
I've only got silver Live so I can't do the multiplayer thing yet, but on the offchance I get it in the future (I plan to now I have decent net) you'll find me under 'DiscordDisciple'.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: linnea on August 25, 2007, 05:39:29 am
Oh, we know all about how much you play "Viva Pinata", if that's what you kids are calling it these days. It's disgusting, I tell you.

Heh. Tiny can for rough chuckles.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on August 25, 2007, 06:01:08 pm
Yeah, I like the internet so I signed up mostly to get the free downloadable content.  Plus, I like seeing that my coworker played Echo the Dolphin for eight hours straight.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 06:14:44 pm
Yeah, I like the internet so I signed up mostly to get the free downloadable content.  Plus, I like seeing that my coworker played Echo the Dolphin for eight hours straight.

Oh, we know all about how much your coworker plays "Echo the Dolphin" . . . what? It's tough coming up with new stuff every day.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on August 25, 2007, 06:24:22 pm
It helps that just about anything can be used as a euphemism for spanking the monkey.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2007, 03:00:06 pm
[represses list we've already done]

Sorry honey, I don't think I can. I 'repressed the list' twice today.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 27, 2007, 03:22:11 am
Jough, should a dude spring for the xbox360 or the iphone?
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on August 27, 2007, 11:26:12 am
Both, but if I had to choose I'd go iPhone.  But that's just because I'm out of the house more than I'm home.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2007, 04:12:57 pm
ok, people, Viva Pinata looks insane. I want this game, I think.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on August 28, 2007, 08:13:31 am
The Lady approves of it most thoroughly, except that apparently the thing that keeps collecting her shit is preventing her fromt getting a doenut which she covets like a victim out of Se7en.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: crotch_lobster on September 06, 2007, 02:01:18 pm
My gamertag is: fantasticplanet

and I don't have Bioshock yet. All I have so far is Oblivion and Gears of War. Lately I've been playing the Call of Duty 4 beta on XboxLive, if you can get a beta token you should check it out, althought I think the only way to get one now is to pre-order the game, so the whole "trying the game before you buy it" is sort of ruined. Although, now that I've played the beta, I'll definitely pre-order it. If you enjoy FPS-style games, it's one of the tightest, most pleasurable FPSes I've ever played on a console.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on September 06, 2007, 06:19:54 pm
Bioshock is cool. Still scary, but I am getting more used to it.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 07, 2007, 03:27:28 am
My Xbox Live tag is SlozburyStouvre, a horrific inside joke of a name that I regret choosing. Feel free to add!

I got Bioshock today, finally, and it's pretty sweet. One of the biggest complaints I've heard so far is that the game is too easy, but I'm definitely feeling some challenge on the medium setting. Most of that is because I can't aim the goddamn revolver to save my life, and I swear those turret guns just come out of nowhere.

Edit: And I would also like to not that BioShock is the first game in the history of the medium where I've had to read up on Ayn Rand in order to better understand the message the game is trying to convey. Or did I have to do that with Madden 2003? I forget.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2007, 08:40:38 am
By the end you can get a bit over-powered but frankly I enjoyed it for the story. The ending isn't the best but the atmosphere fuck*ng kills.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on September 07, 2007, 02:44:46 pm
Yeah, I spent a lot of time hacking stuff to get skills power-ups and open every safe, etc., and by 2/3s through the game you can get pretty powerful, but that didn't really diminish my enjoyment.

Also, you can up the difficulty level on the fly without consequence, so feel free to pop it up a notch (which makes your weapons a little weaker and the enemies a little more plentiful, which I enjoy) when it starts to sag for you.

Loved the game, although it didn't really move me the way Half-Life 2 did (does).  It's good, but it doesn't feel like a revolution (or revelation) to me.

Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 07, 2007, 03:03:47 pm
By the end you can get a bit over-powered but frankly I enjoyed it for the story. The ending isn't the best but the atmosphere fuck*ng kills.

Did you get the good or bad ending? Because it varies depending on how many little girls you rescue.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2007, 03:08:29 pm
Good ending. I was a goddamn paragon of virtue.
Might play through it again to get the bad ending, though I saw it already.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on September 07, 2007, 03:11:52 pm
I watched the bad ending on YouTube, but I saved all the little sisters.

Someone did an analysis of how much ADAM you get from either saving or reaping the sisters, and it balances out due to the 200 ADAM bonuses you get every third sis' you save.

So there's no advantage or disadvantage either way, except if you reap them you get a little more powerful a little earlier on in the game, and the ending is suckier.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 07, 2007, 03:16:09 pm
If there's one big disappointment I have with the game so far, it's in the little sister storyline being passed off as anything resembling an open-ended moral path. I read on a site recently that the choice you're given between harvesting and rescuing basically amounts to choosing between being Mother Theresa or eating babies. There's absolutely no gray area, which really sucks. The game is a lot more linear than I'd hoped.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on September 07, 2007, 04:01:45 pm
Yeah definitely more linear than I hoped too but if you've got to choose between a story and open endedness Im glad they chose the story in this case.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 07, 2007, 04:07:54 pm
Yeah, there's definitely a few trade-offs that have been made with BioShock. In exchange for open-endedness, they've gone with a really amazing story that's pushing the medium in a brand new direction. Also, in terms of difficulty, I'm kinda glad it tends toward easy, because would you rather play a scary-as-shit game that's easy or one that's really damn tough? I don't think my heart could handle all frustration of defeat combined with how often I've been startled when something scary pops up in front of me (or behind me, in the case of the dentist's office. Ho-leeeee shiiiiiit).
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2007, 04:34:23 pm
Quote
(or behind me, in the case of the dentist's office. Ho-leeeee shiiiiiit).

so, now I am even more terrified of this game.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: jough on September 07, 2007, 07:43:14 pm
Yeah, there was one part that freaked me the fuck out.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on September 07, 2007, 08:16:34 pm
I am a fan of when the light flickers and the guy disappears. in the morgue.

I have not reached that part, though, because I can only stand to play for 20 minutes at a time, and a lot of that time is spent trying to peek around corners.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 07, 2007, 08:28:31 pm
Yeah, I'm the same way. A huge chunk of my time is spent sloooowly peeking around a corner to make sure nobody's there. But there's always somebody there. There's always goddamned something there. It's just a matter of how long it takes to show itself.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on September 08, 2007, 02:13:18 am
The favourite part in my mind is fort frolic with the composer. I won't go in to detail because I don't want to spoil it but there are some good scenes in there.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 08, 2007, 10:29:08 pm
I would  like to share with you a moment I had in BioShock a few minutes ago. Here's what happened: I find a lone big daddy and decide to use the hypnotize plasmid on him. He kills off a few splicers for me, and I decide that instead of killing him right away, I'll let him tag along for a little bit. Best decision I've ever made. Just a few corners away, I run into another big daddy and start a BIG DADDY VS BIG DADDY BRAWL. So ridiculously, amazingly cool. The best part? When both their health bars are nearing empty, I lob a grenade at the pair and send them both into the next world. Which, of course, is followed by giddy looting. Easiest 150 dollars I've made in the game so far.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 14, 2007, 04:21:04 pm
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/13/thompson-sends-own-son-on-personal-sting-operation-against-best/

This is funny. Jack Thompson sent his 15 year old son to Best Buy to pick up a copy of BioShock in order to prove that these types of stores will sell M-rated games to kids. Apparently his son was successful, so... congratulations! Your son is an ogre. I was carded at Best Buy when I bought BioShock and I'm 22 years old.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2007, 04:27:34 pm
the ending was pretty cool. I watched the "bad ending" on Youtube, and our ending was better.

yes, I did stop playing. yes, my roommate did beat the game.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2007, 04:41:11 pm
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/13/thompson-sends-own-son-on-personal-sting-operation-against-best/

This is funny. Jack Thompson sent his 15 year old son to Best Buy to pick up a copy of BioShock in order to prove that these types of stores will sell M-rated games to kids. Apparently his son was successful, so... congratulations! Your son is an ogre. I was carded at Best Buy when I bought BioShock and I'm 22 years old.

Uh, game ratings are voluntary. Stores don't have to pay attention to who they sell the games to unless they feel like it. Ditto for video stores and movie theaters.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: melack on September 14, 2007, 05:11:12 pm
Uh, game ratings are voluntary. Stores don't have to pay attention to who they sell the games to unless they feel like it. Ditto for video stores and movie theaters.

Yes, and Best Buy is one of the 99% of retailers who volunteer to use the ratings. I was just making a comment on the fact that this 15 year old kid managed to not get carded at one of the more strict retailers around (in my experience, at least). Hence Mr. Thompson should instead be worried about the fact that his son appears to have the same disease as Robin Williams in the movie Jack.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: CortJstr on September 14, 2007, 05:22:28 pm
Yes, and Best Buy is one of the 99% of retailers who volunteer to use the ratings. I was just making a comment on the fact that this 15 year old kid managed to not get carded at one of the more strict retailers around (in my experience, at least). Hence Mr. Thompson should instead be worried about the fact that his son appears to have the same disease as Robin Williams in the movie Jack.

Really? That many? Wow. Back when I was buying SNES games nobody even noticed the ratings. I guess just because the system was in its infancy. I just assumed that it was like movie ratings, where only a couple of theaters actually enforce the "nobody under 18 admitted" policy but most parents think that all theaters have to.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Doc on September 15, 2007, 02:33:21 am
Really? That many? Wow. Back when I was buying SNES games nobody even noticed the ratings. I guess just because the system was in its infancy. I just assumed that it was like movie ratings, where only a couple of theaters actually enforce the "nobody under 18 admitted" policy but most parents think that all theaters have to.
This is about the case in my experience, just there are people like JT who make their careers out of scaring parents.
Title: Re: Xbox 360 Gamers Represent
Post by: Toaster on September 21, 2007, 08:38:12 am
I will get an Xbox 360 for my birthday in November, or for Christmas. the main reason is so that I can play Halo 3. So as not to basically have an expensive Halo 3 machine, I will also get other games, to make the investment worthwhile. Off the top of my head: Dead Rising, Crackdown, BioShock.

Jack Thompson is like some bumbling supervillain. If he was fictional, I might actually enjoy watching/reading him. But he's real, so whatever.

I'm very familiar with looking older than I am. When I was in the 6th grade, about age 12, I answered the phone in the office 1st period, and literally everyone thought I was a grown-up. When I was a freshman in high school, people thought I was a senior. When I was a senior, people thought I was in my mid-20s. I've never been carded buying an M-rated game or a ticket to an R-rated movie. One time, my grandparents saw a picture of me, and seriously thought it was my dad. I've gotten looks from strangers for canoodling with girls only a year younger than me, because the age gap looks so much bigger.