The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Vicrouvion on August 24, 2007, 09:01:03 pm

Title: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Vicrouvion on August 24, 2007, 09:01:03 pm
I've been an achewood fan for some time and I'm always trying to introduce people to it. My own introduction was the cartilage head storyline and this was enough to get me hooked for good; however, I've found that people sometimes don't find it quite as funny as I did my first time reading it and I'm starting to wonder if there is a strip or storyline that should come before this one in a persons experience of achewood.

I'm sure this topic must have come up before but i was unable to find a thread about it. Sorry if its a duplicate.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2007, 09:11:56 pm
Liquor Cabinet Taste Test, (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) or Why Can't I Wake Up With the Gun Already in Me? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12202001)

Of course, they're totally different than the Achewood groove as a whole, but fuck the plebes if they don't "get it".
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Leon on August 24, 2007, 09:46:04 pm
I was introduced to achewood by probably the worst strip for the task : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua6gzQRN

Of course a good one to start them off would be : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7KD2dk

I should be very thankful if someone could help me figure out how to link to places while naming the links another thing. Thank you.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 24, 2007, 10:29:07 pm
I was introduced to achewood by probably the worst strip for the task : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua6gzQRN

Of course a good one to start them off would be : http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7KD2dk

I should be very thankful if someone could help me figure out how to link to places while naming the links another thing. Thank you.

What's all that garbled shit in them links there? You can link directly to 'em, y'know? (yes, I know you asked about links; I mean the weird domain name or whatever the hell.)

Also, I'm leaving the misspelling. It amuses me.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: robot_god on August 24, 2007, 11:05:31 pm
Isosoceles Lock [was mine].
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 24, 2007, 11:20:53 pm
I was sold on achewood the second i read the liquor cabinet test. But as far as selling other people, the GOF was so popular it crashed the servers.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: gloomba on August 24, 2007, 11:35:30 pm
This (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06042002) was the first Achewood strip I saw, and it was a somewhat puzzling introduction.  Fortunately I went back a day and found this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06032002), which pretty much sold me.  The moon storyline came up pretty soon after that.  It was a good time for Roast Beef, who is easily my favorite character.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on August 25, 2007, 12:16:19 am
Yesterday's strip (Don't Do Cocaine at Me (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08222007)) got Pedro's co-worker hooked.  (On Achewood, not cocaine.)  Today's garnered a response from the new reader of..."Whoa.  Does he do that a lot?" 
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 25, 2007, 01:50:18 am
I would think anyone could relate to Furious Ding-Dong (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03172003), or Seņor Cash's Pee Pee (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03222002) (although this one might not go over as well these days).
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2007, 02:05:19 am
I liked the french fry saga. But Liquor Cabinet Taste Test and Worst Poker Hand Ever are good one-offs.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Bimmicus on August 25, 2007, 02:29:15 am
Beef on the Moon was my first Achewood, and I loved it pretty much immediately.

I'd recommend that those unfamilar with the strip start from the very beginning, but that's just me.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Drastic Action on August 25, 2007, 03:46:00 am
Without any context whatsoever, I believe the first time I typed up achewood.com, it gave me two stoned nincompoops in a volvo (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05192005).  I figured the strip was just arbitrary nonsense.

For some reason, I came back, though I can't tell you which one.  But personally, I would recommend something like this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08182004).
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2007, 03:54:33 am
Point of interest: No one believes the best achewood to start with was the achewood that achewood started with. What was he thinking with that anyway.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: theinevitable on August 25, 2007, 04:36:34 am
I have no idea what the first one I read was. But then I went back and read all of the archives. So, I don't know.

The first ever Webcomic I read was Real Life, a one about the game Black and White. It is a pretty bad comic.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Speedy on August 25, 2007, 06:51:51 am
This one (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04292002) was the one that got me hooked on the strip - if a three panel comic strip can have me crying tears of laughter for 30 mins and still make me chuckle to this day, its gotta be good.

Edit: It also helps when an absolute comedic genius such as Jay Pinkerton (http://"http://www.jaypinkerton.com") (amongst others) recommends the comic, too.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: smick on August 26, 2007, 05:01:17 am
The first one I read was just before the introduction of Showbiz (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12192002).  I was linked from Cardhouse.com, a website I've been a long term reader of.

I was hooked from there.

Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2007, 05:28:42 am
(I ordered both sets of stickers and gave the rabbit ambulance one to an EMT friend of mine. 

That one has a special place in my heart. Tiny can. (I'm also a medic)
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Bimmicus on August 26, 2007, 05:47:21 am
The first webcomic I can recall reading regularly was PvP, for which I profusely apologize. It was funny once, right? Not that I'm about to go back and find out.

Achewood was the first – and to date is still one of the few – webcomics that struck me as having ambition beyond sucking out Charles Schulz's dingleberries.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Dexter on August 26, 2007, 01:35:20 pm
Aw, crap.  I accidentally deleted my post in this thread.  I can't believe the board doesn't confirm whether you want to delete a post.  Oh well...
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 26, 2007, 03:22:40 pm
My first one was roughly in the first few weeks of the strip. I don't know where I got linked up to it, but I was hooked immediately.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: RMJ12345 on August 26, 2007, 09:17:20 pm
I think we might have discussed this before. I don't remember how I got linked, but I got hooked through the GOF.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: linnea on August 26, 2007, 09:37:08 pm
My first one was roughly in the first few weeks of the strip. I don't know where I got linked up to it, but I was hooked immediately.

I cannot remember how I got linked to it, but it was within the first couple months of the strip. However, I have always read a lot of webcomics and I think I probably followed a link from dieselsweeties, when I grow up, bobbins, goats, penny arcade, or something else?
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: colmore on August 30, 2007, 06:40:44 pm
the bathroom party (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01112005) is a good start, i think.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2007, 06:43:20 pm
the bathroom party (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01112005) is a good start, i think.

Not sure what happened to your link but I think I fixed it. You are right - good call.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Toaster on August 30, 2007, 10:35:59 pm
I don't remember what my first Achewood was, but I remember the strip that I used to introduce it to my English teacher. This was in November, when I was in the 12th grade. My teacher, this guy is the quintissential English teacher: 53 years old, full beard, dresses like he's at a country club, says "an historian" instead of "a historian". I think, "Well, you know, Achewood is very literary, very artsy. I think he might like it. At least, I know he won't hate it." So I show him this (http://www.achewood.com/?date=01112006). This gets a chuckle. Then I show him this (http://www.achewood.com/?date=01122006). I probably shouldn't have done it at lunchtime.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2007, 11:21:37 pm
I don't remember what my first Achewood was, but I remember the strip that I used to introduce it to my English teacher. This was in November, when I was in the 12th grade. My teacher, this guy is the quintissential English teacher: 53 years old, full beard, dresses like he's at a country club, says "an historian" instead of "a historian".

So was he a very, very bad English teacher or was this not American English?

Also, you accidentally posted the same link twice.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: IsoscelesLock on August 31, 2007, 12:50:44 pm
Started here, and knew I found something special: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003)

And by the time I got to prank calling marmaduke (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202003) I was hooked.

That said, linking to assetbar?  That's a paddlin'
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on August 31, 2007, 01:06:30 pm
So was he a very, very bad English teacher or was this not American English?

Most of the historians I know (myself included) us "an historian" in written language, although I personally use "a historian" when speaking.  This is because the sole purpose of an historian is to train and teach younger historians, so very little about the practice and jargon of history ever changes. 
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 31, 2007, 03:28:24 pm
Now that I think of it, the prankcalling of other comic strips is probably the best way to hook people in straight from the beginning.

It's sort of the most "straight forward" funny little stretch of strips while still mostly getting the characters and the premise across.

"Kathy, have my retarded baby" is just a genius line.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2007, 03:41:35 pm
Two folks on the message board with Isoceles in their handle? The odds of that . . . well, let's just say this is the end-times.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: jaydub on August 31, 2007, 03:44:49 pm
This is because the sole purpose of an historian is to train and teach younger historians, so very little about the practice and jargon of history ever changes. 

I hadn't previously thought of historians as a viral condition - but it certainly makes sense.
Title: Re: Best introduction to Achewood?
Post by: Toaster on August 31, 2007, 07:35:45 pm
I think he just wanted to be British. Fixed the link.