The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2003, 05:03:58 am

Title: I burned my arm
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2003, 05:03:58 am
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN7509-E-I.jpg)

It kinda hurts and I think it's gonna leave a nasty scar.

~Paul
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: jough on October 16, 2003, 05:09:27 am
Man, that looks painful.

WHY DID YOU DO THAT, PAUL?
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 16, 2003, 07:11:53 am
why?

how?

How and why did you photograph it?

gross. and cool.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: andalucia on October 16, 2003, 11:45:48 am
Aaugh!
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: FeeReep on October 16, 2003, 11:51:51 am
Man, that must have been one hot slapbracelet.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AugustWest on October 16, 2003, 01:42:48 pm
Yee ow!
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: V-Adore on October 16, 2003, 08:58:08 pm
How precisely did that happen?

And yeah, I love how there's always that class of people who report some horribly injury or personal tragedy online before they deal with it IRL.

Not that I've ever done that. Aside from that one time. With the car accident.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: Choop on October 16, 2003, 10:20:51 pm
Hey PAUL! You burned yourself!

How come? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06262003)


What degree is it? Why isn't it bandaged? (Posterity?) Hope it heals faster than that time I dipped my finger in the fryer at Taco Bell.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 16, 2003, 11:20:54 pm
Just admitting you worked at Taco Bell should be somewhat cathartic.

I was interviewing an STD patient once who insisted his rash was because he was "frying bacon naked". I myself have no particularly silly burn stories though.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: pmcd9 on October 16, 2003, 11:56:38 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
why?

how?


How I can answer, but not at the moment, I don't have the time.  Maybe tonight after i've finished my chores.

But Why?  Why!?!  There is no why unless it's Karma, but i've been such a good boy lately so i'm thinking it couldn't be that.

~Paul
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: V-Adore on October 17, 2003, 12:44:52 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was interviewing an STD patient once who insisted his rash was because he was "frying bacon naked".

See, I don't get that as an excuse. How is admitting that you were stupid enough to fry bacon naked any less embarrassing than admitting an STD? An STD, after all, can be contracted more or less accidentally, whereas frying bacon naked is just admitting you're an idiot.

I, too, have no silly burn stories, although I once managed to (briefly) semi-set my hair on fire at a Girl Scout camp cookout. I was the world's crappiest Girl Scout, in retrospect.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 02:47:43 am
With my repetitive stress injuries, I tend to lose feeling in my hands a lot, which is very dangerous when I'm cooking because I generally don't notice I'm burning myself until the heat creeps up to the point where I have feeling - or this one time, when the smell of my own burnt flesh made me take notice.

It was as gross as it sounds - and it always hurts a lot later when the feeling starts to return.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2003, 03:01:03 am
Not only did I burn my finger at Taco Bell, I did it twice. Same finger.

-beat-

And who said I worked there?

-beat-

(Me. I did.)
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 03:04:11 am
I can totally see that happening, and I feel your pain.

You're lucky, though that the top of the grease is the also the coolest part - so instead of rending the flesh from your bone, you merely got 2nd degree burns.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 03:11:44 am
Ow,  dammit, ow!  Quit it, y'all you're giving me contact pain.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 11:00:15 am
I set fire to my face once, but apart from that, nothing as hideous as any of you guys.
I have a tendency to burn myself while cooking, but not too seriously. Occasionally I'll manage to graze my arm against the grill element, which hurts like a bastard, or just not do anything when oil is spattering my arm, and then the pain sets in later, but nothing that's scarred.
I did all those with knives when I was a dumb kid.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2003, 03:54:55 pm
oh, no, jough, I certainly had 3rd degrees.

3rd's better though, because it kills the nerves (that's the major difference between 2nd and 3rd), which means that as soon as it hits that 3rd degree, you don't feel no burnination happening.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 04:27:06 pm
Yes, third degree is less painful than 2nd, but of course more damaging.  3rd degree usually means charring of some kind, meaning that you have now lost that part of your body from any kind of regeneration or healing to any practical degree.

If you got a 3rd degree burn on your fingertip, for example, you'd likely never be able to feel anything with that finger again (unless you were very very young when it happened and still growing).

Science is fun!
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: V-Adore on October 17, 2003, 05:35:01 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I set fire to my face once

Okay, I'll bite: how'd that happen?

This is really reminding me of my 10th-grade Chemistry teacher, a quasi-insane but hilarious old man who had previously been a nuclear chemist. He'd lost feeling entirely in one of his hands, so he always did his (frequently incendiary, often explosive) demonstrations with it, apparently on the premise that "if I can't feel it hurting, I probably didn't actually injure myself."

To be fair to him, he never injured himself in class. Some people are just good.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2003, 09:02:23 pm
Ok, once I blew all the hair off my face lighting a gas grill. But happily my face didn't catch on fire. I bet slink was doing something similar: I had the grill closed and I was trying to light it through the stupid hole in the bottom. I finally got frustrated and opened it and peered in so I could see the hole better and it lit right after I opened it, enveloping my whole head in the FOOOOMP noise and invisible but very real fireball. Very fast which is why I wasn't burned badly beyond a thin layer of ash on every skin surface and the hair gone.

The day before my brother's wedding.

The worst thing about third degree burns is smelling your own charred flesh. It's the worst smell ever.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I was interviewing an STD patient once who insisted his rash was because he was "frying bacon naked".

See, I don't get that as an excuse. How is admitting that you were stupid enough to fry bacon naked any less embarrassing than admitting an STD? An STD, after all, can be contracted more or less accidentally, whereas frying bacon naked is just admitting you're an idiot.

I, too, have no silly burn stories, although I once managed to (briefly) semi-set my hair on fire at a Girl Scout camp cookout. I was the world's crappiest Girl Scout, in retrospect.


Well, it's more about the SHAME of it all...he was already in the VD clinic, that's where I worked, and he had syphilis, and he knew that I was going to track down his girlfriend, wife, boyfriend and anyone else he might have been frying bacon naked WITH (or for). So he concocts the story about how he couldn't possibly have VD (and I know all of them now).

That was a FUN job!
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 09:52:05 pm
I refuse to admit how I managed to attain the same levels of burnination of the face.
I was young and stupid, and I'm still too embarrassed by quite how retarded it was!
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2003, 09:57:17 pm
You might say that he is still 'red in the face' about the whole thing.

Or you might not.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: jay-ell on October 17, 2003, 09:59:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I refuse to admit how I managed to attain the same levels of burnination of the face.
I was young and stupid, and I'm still too embarrassed by quite how retarded it was!


If you're concerned about looking foolish, may I direct you to this thread? (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=267)
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2003, 10:32:01 pm
Careful with those, aloha.

You don't want to upset the master.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2003, 10:36:52 pm
Oh, was that a pun. Not a very good one, I guess. If only slink would tell us what happened...perhaps he fell onto a hot rack of typesetters letters.

Then he could be read in the face too.

Har.
Title: I burned my arm
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 11:05:58 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
looking foolish, may I direct you to this thread? (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=267)


Oh dear.

And Aloha - Oh deary deary deary me!

OK, well, as I say, I was young and stupid.
I had, whilst stoned I might add, learnt this trick, not a very technical or impressive one, which is to fill your mouth with gas and pop it out over a flame.
Only when I did it while drunk to impress this girl, I forgot to tip my head back, so the billowing gas flame just engulfed my face.
It was just one of those instances that shows off how I can do retarded things because I just forgot to think about one little aspect first.
I might add that since then I have actually done proper fire breathing, and not damaged anything. Except my throat but that's kind of a side effect of swilling flammable chemicals.