The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on August 27, 2007, 04:10:59 am

Title: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 27, 2007, 04:10:59 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08272007

I suppose Lyle had it coming.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 27, 2007, 04:53:43 am
Uh... I do this without court instruction. I just hours ago informed my new roommates of my caustic sense of humor and that they would learn or not learn how to not take me too seriously.

Me: So what are you studying?
roommate: film writing
Me:... well, my taxes support programs for people like you so I guess youre gonna be ok.
roommate: what?
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 27, 2007, 05:06:07 am
Tell your roommates that you know an imaginary person on the internet with a degree in film writing and he fetches coffee for people at the age of twenty-eight. Tell them. WARN THEM!

Anyway, you just have to love those glasses with that shirt. Just haveta.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: melack on August 27, 2007, 07:11:42 am
I just... I just don't know if this strip could get any more ho-hum.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: iron_felix on August 27, 2007, 09:08:13 am
It must have been hard for Chris to follow up Alpo Philippe with something that wasn't disappointing.  I don't know why, but my first thought was that this might be the beginning of a new story arc.  I hope it isn't, but I think the joke may be funnier if you imagine it that way.  It ends like the Cartilage Head arc, with Onstad revealing that it's all actually based on the time he slept with a girl who told him she was eighteen.

I like how, true to all forms of government-issued ID, Lyle looks absolutely nothing like an asshole on his card.  The off-center pic is a perfect finishing touch.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 04:03:59 pm
i_f - that's a great new avatar.

A-CAP, everyday I pause and smile knowing that everyone in my province paid a little tiny bit to allow me to make my art, and that only a tenth of a percentile will ever see it, nevermind enjoy it.  Even better, people in my province are paying for me to write plays that mostly get produced out of province!  Screw you tax payer!  Screw you tax payer!  I suppose I should go door to door telling my neighbours that I'm an asshole now.  It would be a good way to meet everyone, and also I could learn pretty quickly where the nearest meth lab is.  Awesome!
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2007, 04:39:02 pm
But you still pay income tax, right Smells? Because you could always move to Ireland and freeload in style.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Leon on August 27, 2007, 06:27:25 pm
i like how in the last panel Lyle is trying hard to stay in character. he doesn't want to disappoint anyone
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 07:51:16 pm
But you still pay income tax, right Smells? Because you could always move to Ireland and freeload in style.

I do, on my non-self employed stuff, but as a self-employed artist who works from home (thanks to my accountant genius guy) I get a fat check back every year as I can claim almost all my living expenses.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2007, 08:28:39 pm
I do, on my non-self employed stuff, but as a self-employed artist who works from home (thanks to my accountant genius guy) I get a fat check back every year as I can claim almost all my living expenses.

Damn, I wish I was more creative so I could pay like no taxes. And depend on the popularity of my work in the general public for income. Assuming some agent/director/gallery owner/record label even decides to let it reach the public at all. OK, this is already too stressful for me, I'll stick with an office job. Plus, I can't write dialog, am tone deaf, have no concept of composition, &c, &c.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2007, 08:49:02 pm
Hey guys! Smells just created a super-cool new sarcasm kiss. It stings a little when it's planted on you but the aftertaste is awesome and it's like watching fireworks free.

I wish I could claim the "Screw you tax payer!  Screw you tax payer!" as my own, but it is in fact from a Kids in the Hall sketch aired (I think) only on the Canadian version of the second season of the show.  Here's the  transcript of the sketch (http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/two/taxpayer.html).  It's a pretty enjoyable skit to watch as a Canadian artist.  I do chant it as a slogan fairly often though.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2007, 09:06:25 pm
A-CAP a lot of people are reading this and saying "I knew it! I knew it! I knew those shit-smeared Mother Mary paintings were just big ol' Fuck Yous to the American public!"
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2007, 09:13:02 pm
"I knew it! I knew it! I knew those shit-smeared Mother Mary paintings were just big ol' Fuck Yous to the American public!"
You mean they weren't?  Art confuses me, then.
Well, even without that - it confuses me.  Fortunately, this is a state I enjoy.  Senility should be a ball.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2007, 12:57:24 am
I do, on my non-self employed stuff, but as a self-employed artist who works from home (thanks to my accountant genius guy) I get a fat check back every year as I can claim almost all my living expenses.

But you also get that swell Socialized Medicine, too.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2007, 01:03:18 am
"self-employed" artists and whatever have unions here in the city where they work as a group to get healthcare and other benefits. Not sure how they would work out a strike...
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2007, 01:10:34 am
Yeah, doesn't seem like you need a union. What that sounds like is more like a government-underwritten co-op. Who is management to balance that relationship? I'm not for unions in the first place, but artists and prostitutes forming a union I really have a problem understanding.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Lister on August 29, 2007, 05:19:20 am
"SCREW YOU, TAXPAYER" did make it to the air in the States, though I don't remember if it was on HBO only or Comedy Central as well.

Personally I am devious enough to be a gigantic asshole, but too nice to go through with all my plans.  I still try to maintain an air of obliviousness just in case, because the most infuriating kind of asshole is the one who appears to not know it.  This means you can't be an asshole back.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: colmore on August 29, 2007, 05:43:03 am
Eh, I'm not too fond of the "hey of course I'm acting like this, I'm an *asshole*" type either... my general response is "hey, I'm going to try to avoid you."

One can be selgiraffe from time to time, and in fact one really must, otherwise you get walked on... and always apologizing and trying to do favors is having low self-esteem, not being nice. However, taking the attitude that civility and ethics don't apply to you and that the way your actions and inactions affect others doesn't matter isn't a cute personality trait no matter how you guss it up.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 06:02:44 am
in a vaguely related matter, I was informed today that I am "Anal." Several of my friends here have agreed on this. Bizarrely, several friends from home have laughed and thought I was joking.
Hmm.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: jaydub on August 29, 2007, 06:07:28 am
in a vaguely related matter, I was informed today that I am "Anal." Several of my friends here have agreed on this. Bizarrely, several friends from home have laughed and thought I was joking.
Hmm.
When people try to describe me as such, I invite them into my office.  Not to abuse them, mind you - just to point out that a truly anal person would go insane in my space.  I live by the "clean desk is a sign of a sick mind" motto.

A couple of times, people have said this as a compliment.  Since they were born and raised in China however, I think there's somehow a loss in translation going on.  They know it means "fond of order", or "precise" but not the Freudian arrested development bit.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 06:16:01 am
yeah. I think they mean it more in the sense of being Uptight.

The situation was that I was trying to figure out how to copy CDs from the radio station in a non-crass way. I know that they don't care, but I still feel like it is Lame.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Drastic Action on August 29, 2007, 08:28:06 am
"Good, good. I no'a like'a the jerks. When I am younger, sure, ok, but not so much now."
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 29, 2007, 09:50:34 am
I pay all of my taxes.

Fuck bitching about the poor---my tax dollars are buying your roads.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 29, 2007, 10:07:59 am
I pay all of my taxes.

Fuck bitching about the poor---my tax dollars are buying your roads.

And with that, KH has defined my stand on politics.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 02:18:53 pm
Quote
"Good, good. I no'a like'a the jerks. When I am younger, sure, ok, but not so much now."
I just posted almost this quote in a different thread. I think we are internet-married now?
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: colmore on August 29, 2007, 07:08:37 pm
I think all of our taxes are paying for old people's votes (and health or whatever...), decades of deficit spending, and the Military contractors' continued multi-billions.  Oh, and kickbacks to developers, on the more local level.  We're taxed at nearly the rate of socialist countries in America, but with almost none of the benefits.  I wonder if we culturally abhor efficient government too much for it to ever be spent well.
Title: Re: 27th August 2007 - "all punked up on Jupiter oil"
Post by: Drastic Action on August 30, 2007, 01:15:43 am
I just posted almost this quote in a different thread. I think we are internet-married now?

I am already internet-married to someone in Ecuador, so we would have to keep it secret.