The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on August 27, 2007, 03:23:50 pm
-
I got an alert on my Tourfilter feed: Jose Gonzalez at the 9:30 Club on October 2! Whooooo! $20, and it's a Tuesday night. Mention it to the missus, let's get a babysitter, blah blah blah.
But then I look at the 9:30's web site and see that they also have Iron & Wine on Saturday the 29th. $25 show.
Well, shit. Given the proximity of the dates and the ticket prices, it's probably one or the other. And I can't freakin' decide.
(For the uninitiated: Jose's web site (http://www.jose-gonzalez.com/) with built-in music player, post on my blog (http://www.bigfool.com/foolblog/archive/2006_09.htm#000771) with embedded YouTube vids and links to others. Iron & Wine's SubPop page (http://www.subpop.com/artists/iron_and_wine) which has a number of full-length MP3 downloads.)
-
Do you still live in NJ?
-
Do you still live in NJ?
Um, no, I do not now nor have I ever lived in New Jersey. What am I missing here?
-
Um, no, I do not now nor have I ever lived in New Jersey. What am I missing here?
Well, would you be willing to relocate? I think we're looking to re-balance the board-members.
-
Um, no, I do not now nor have I ever lived in New Jersey. What am I missing here?
I saw somewhere in the archives where you were talking about the jersey shore.
-
I saw somewhere in the archives where you were talking about the jersey shore.
People who live in the DC area go to the Jersey and Delaware shore because we don't have one of our own. The confusion is understandable.
-
I have cast my vote for Iron & Wine. I wish you could go to both shows, however.
-
I saw somewhere in the archives where you were talking about the jersey shore.
Ah, OK. My family is from Philly and I have ties to the Jersey shore (my great-grandparents actually owned a motel in Wildwood during its heyday), so we often go there on vacation.
Wombat, you don't consider the godforsaken hellhole that is Ocean City, MD to be "our" beach?
Yeah, me neither.
-
Ah, OK. My family is from Philly and I have ties to the Jersey shore (my great-grandparents actually owned a motel in Wildwood during its heyday), so we often go there on vacation.
Wombat, you don't consider the godforsaken hellhole that is Ocean City, MD to be "our" beach?
Yeah, me neither.
Call me if they ever bother to build a boardwalk. Until then OC, MD can suck it.
-
Call me if they ever bother to build a boardwalk. Until then OC, MD can suck it.
Calling CortJstr....
http://www.oceancitycam.com/
The problem is the hundreds of "Senior Week" teenagers doing the goddamn stupidest things every goddamn minute of the day who are on that boardwalk.
-
Calling CortJstr....
http://www.oceancitycam.com/
The problem is the hundreds of "Senior Week" teenagers doing the goddamn stupidest things every goddamn minute of the day who are on that boardwalk.
Some planks of wood at beach level do not a boardwalk make. Ocean City, NJ, now that's a boardwalk.
At my school Beach Week was always down in like Virginia Beach. Not that spending a week with people I barely tolerated while they were sober seemed like much fun to me.
-
Once when we were staying in Rehoboth we drove down to check out Ocean City for an hour or so. I totally don't get why anyone would choose to go there, but I figure I don't want those people realizing they should be going to the Delaware beach towns instead so I keep quiet about it.
-
I listened to the two streaming songs og that Jose Gonzalez and they were good, but then I went to my iPod and it turned out I had a couple Iron and Wine albums on there, so I checked 'em out and I really liked them. So I went for them. If I had but known - they've played PDX a few times.
-
You're keeping a leash on that Ipod now, right?
-
I grab it and drop it in my desk drawer every night. It's funny; my computer has a little umbilical cord that goes right into the drawer.
-
I grab it and drop it in my desk drawer every night. It's funny; my computer has a little umbilical cord that goes right into the drawer.
As long as that son of a bitch locks tightly, then it's all good.
-
This Jose Gonzales cat sounds pretty good, but my vote went with Mr. Beam because I have a lot of his stuff, and would pay more than $25 to see him at a show.
-
the first time i heard iron and wine was the morning my dad died. mom came to tell me "something is wrong" and that she had called the ambulance. it was very early in the morning, before 5 am, and my brother and i were sharing my room at the time. after the paramedics left emptyhanded (firefighters, actually, in their big truck on our tiny street, lights flashing clear through the house and turning the trees in the back yard red) i guess we were sort of huddled in my room again until the radio alarm switched on to tell me to go to high school. it was "cinders and smoke". now everytime i hear this or many other iron and wine song i go to a place i can't reach in any other way. once i bought that album i really appreciated the solace i find in his philosophy.
will you say to me when i'm gone
your face is faded but lingers on
'cause light strikes a deal with each coming night...
oh man, hella tears.
-
I am sorry for your loss. I'm afraid I am not very good at the comforting words. I am glad to hear that something has helped you.
-
it's been more than three years now. that's so weird to think about. so long that remembering things like this and having a good cry are very good things. or very pure, intense things which must be done. i have seen iron and wine with calexico (after their collaborative album came out) and it was most excellent though i wished after the very long three sets that it had just been sam beam.
-
"Cinder and Smoke" is one of my favorite I&W songs. Hella poignant. I'm sorry to hear about your pa.