The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on October 16, 2003, 10:57:42 am

Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! (10-16-03)
Post by: jough on October 16, 2003, 10:57:42 am
I too know the pain of Comcast's cable modem going down, as it does so as often as a Thai whore.

Who among us hasn't felt that junkie's twinge of nervousness when they were away from e-mail, the internet, and dare I say it?, this board, for more than a few hours.

Hell, I wake up in a nervous sweat due to what I'm missing while I SLEEP.

Yes, that silver bullet to the head is the only way, my friends...

the only way...

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10162003).
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: captainimpossibles on October 16, 2003, 11:14:36 am
Only if you're a god-damned warewolf.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: FeeReep on October 16, 2003, 11:28:19 am
"Ware"wolf? Is this more computer slang that shoots over my head like ping-pong balls from a Thai whore?

Your post beat the strip today, jough. Oh, and fuck Comcast.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 16, 2003, 11:36:53 am
Comcast... They be the American BT? They sure sound it.

Oh, and is today like, Thai Whore day or something?
Am I supposed to run out and find one?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: andalucia on October 16, 2003, 11:38:55 am
Ok, who was supposed to send slink the memo?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: FeeReep on October 16, 2003, 11:40:18 am
D'oh.
Title: Re: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 16, 2003, 12:27:58 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I too know the pain of Comcast's cable modem going down, as it does so as often as a Thai whore.

Who among us hasn't felt that junkie's twinge of nervousness when they were away from e-mail, the internet, and dare I say it?, this board, for more than a few hours.

Hell, I wake up in a nervous sweat due to what I'm missing while I SLEEP.

Yes, that silver bullet to the head is the only way, my friends...

the only way...


Wasn't Beef supposed to have a bullet in his spine anyway? Doesn't that give him a passable internet connection through his MIND?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 16, 2003, 12:35:58 pm
Beef's supposed to have an entire Aibo in his spine. But I'm guessing he either uses 802.11g or Bluetooth to his machine or the router.
I mean he still needs some sort of hardwire connection to the Net somewhere.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2003, 12:58:01 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Comcast... They be the American BT? They sure sound it.


They're one of the 3 largest cable TV monopolies over hear. So a lot of people have no choice but to use them for cable internet as well. Their TV prices/reception/equipment sucks compared to a dish but for a lot of people there are no options.

Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Wasn't Beef supposed to have a bullet in his spine anyway? Doesn't that give him a passable internet connection through his MIND?


It did say passable. So I'm thinking it's like using a cell phone or something. He can like read e-mail and stuff but wouldn't want to really surf.

I'm trying to figure out the sites. I see ebay, toothpaste for dinner, the onion, the drudge report (!), slashdot, imbd, yahoo news, k10k (?), paypal, leisuretown (?), and possible hot or not.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 16, 2003, 01:05:57 pm
And, Fortean times, Cnet, and Suicide Girls.
So, Beef digs goth chicks.
Damn I am him...
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 16, 2003, 02:15:18 pm
Quote from: "slink"
And, Fortean times, Cnet, and Suicide Girls.
So, Beef digs goth chicks.
Damn I am him...


It's funny. I actually run a goth industrial night in D.C. (http://www.chiaroscuro-dc.com) -- repeated exposure to that genre totally kills the attraction. Goth women are sexy until they open their mouths :(
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 16, 2003, 02:50:10 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

It's funny. I actually run a goth industrial night in D.C. (http://www.chiaroscuro-dc.com) -- repeated exposure to that genre totally kills the attraction. Goth women are sexy until they open their mouths :(


Generally very, very true.
And I'm nore, per se attracted to goths. It's... well very complicated like every other aspect of my personality.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on October 16, 2003, 03:14:13 pm
'Doctor comes in
he's seen it before'

Gotta love the lack of punctuation.  It's so Beef.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2003, 04:23:16 pm
I'm going to a film festival next weekend and I'm hoping I can sneak up and use one of the university's computers to at least check my mail.

And I just saw a bunch of goths in their Sunday best at the Ren Fest last weekend. But did any of them have badass claws like I did? No, they did not.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: side_show on October 16, 2003, 04:32:08 pm
I once worked for a broadband company that was sold to another company and this resulted in outages that lasted up to three weeks for some customers.  I can not possibly explain the freakouts I heard from those people.  It was crazy - like I'd taken their first born child and fed it to a pack of rabid dogs or something.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2003, 05:01:03 pm
If I lose TiVo and the interweb at the same time I cannot be held responsible for my actions.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Sporkadelic on October 16, 2003, 05:45:00 pm
I see Leisure Town is on Beef's list.. oops, he's too late for that one..
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 16, 2003, 06:15:58 pm
But he is too early for this one: Leisure Town (http://www.maturelivingchoices.com/norcalif/leisure.htm) (although the pace and excitement level might suit him).

I'm happy to report that although I have had 13 addresses in 3 states since 199o, I have never had to deal with comcast.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 16, 2003, 08:35:42 pm
k10k is one of the hippest web design magazines on the 'net.

Although if Onstad was a little more plugged in he would have used Zeldman.com.

In any case, fun stuff.  I can't believe that Beef would read Drudge, though.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2003, 08:38:55 pm
I had no idea Drudge was still even around. Even so I was shocked he was on Beef's list. Maybe it's like a car crash to him.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 16, 2003, 08:46:24 pm
Perhaps Onstad too feels the sting of Comcast's horrible horrible service.

I get DSL at the office and have Comcast Cable at home, and the DSL is three times faster, has never gone down EVER, and is now actually $5 cheaper.  But it's not available in as many places.  

Comcast has been terrible over the past two months - the net is down some days more than it's up - I've been keeping a log of when I notice it's down, and I have a script that checks the connection every five minutes, and the net was down here 97 hours last week.  Sure, if you call and complain they'll do nothing and offer you a credit for the time down, but $10 for being down half a day for two days in a row doesn't *nearly* compensate me for my time lost.

Not to mention the pain and suffering caused by having to go back to dial-up for hours on end.  

I don't know how I ever lived like that.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 16, 2003, 09:22:32 pm
Oh boo frikkin hoo!  Wah, wah, wah -- my ultra-fast broadband connection isn't 100% reliable and I have to fall-back on dial up occasionally.  

Hmph.  Some of us don't have DSL or cable available at our homes out in the boonies.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 16, 2003, 09:45:06 pm
I would settle for 60% reliability, but it hasn't even been *that* reliable.

Anyway, if your internet isn't fast enough for you, move out of the sticks  and come join the 20th century.  Or get satellite or something.  But don't give me shit because I can't get to work because my "vehicle" to my job is broken.

Imagine your car breaking down three days a week, and you couldn't buy a new one.  Your car dealer may say "So what?  A lot of people ride a bike to work.  Stop your whining." and so three days a week you ride your bike 25 miles to work.  It takes you three hours instead of 20 minutes.

Oh, and work docks your pay for the extra time it takes you to get there AND BACK.

But yeah, if that's acceptable to you, I guess it's no big deal.  Dickhead.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 16, 2003, 10:05:45 pm
Comcast also pisses me off with it's regional pricing structure. In Arlington cable is way more expensive than DirecTV. But at my soon-to-be in-laws Comcast is way cheaper. And the problem is that appts in Arlington never have balconies.

If I understand it right the phone companies could fix a lot of DSL's speed/reach issues if they felt like it. But they're willing to deal with the signal loss. Plus, I hate Verizon even more than Comcast.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: V-Adore on October 16, 2003, 11:05:40 pm
Because I was astoundingly bored, here's all that I could get:

Drudge Report
The Onion
News.Yahoo.com
EPinions
SuicideGirls
Toothpaste For Dinner
CNet
Am I Hot Or Not
Leisuretown
K10K.net
Slashdot.org
Paypal
IMDB
Fortean Times

These are the ones I feel confident hazarding a guess at, anyway.

(No links because I would hate to cause the "Achewood MB Effect" and also because I am lazy.)

[EDIT: As implied upthread, and as I just checked -- holy crap, Leisure Town's dead! Crap! Anyone know of archives anywhere or something?]
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: starlight on October 16, 2003, 11:15:30 pm
I have dialup and it hardly really goes down even if it's slow, so I guess it's okay since I don't really have a job ;D
..it does suck on catching up on as many websites as I want in a day; could do it faster if sites didn't keep going slowly.

Anyway, I felt Beef's pain regardless ..I once had to go two months without the net while visiting my grandparents a few years ago (I..read the tv guide and pasted stuff in notebooks while staring at walls most the time; only went out a few times cause I knew no one over there except my cousin who had school, so yeah... twas hell).
..this is the reason I haven't visited since; see, for xmas, I think I'm going to say I'll visit again if I get an ibook ...muahah.  all for a price, ya see.  happy camper and they'd get to see me :D

and it's nice to see Beef checks eBay!  he should join livejournal; hah.  then he'd feel even more torture if he misses a couple hours.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: V-Adore on October 16, 2003, 11:24:30 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
and it's nice to see Beef checks eBay!  he should join livejournal; hah.  then he'd feel even more torture if he misses a couple hours.

Sadly, the username is taken. By someone who hasn't updated since February 2002. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/roastbeef)
Ah, well. A dork can dream.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: starlight on October 17, 2003, 12:27:30 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "starlight"
and it's nice to see Beef checks eBay!  he should join livejournal; hah.  then he'd feel even more torture if he misses a couple hours.

Sadly, the username is taken. By someone who hasn't updated since February 2002. (http://www.livejournal.com/users/roastbeef)
Ah, well. A dork can dream.


Hmm that's disappointing; their only interest is 'cheese', too ..hah.
even just 'beef' is taken with *no* posts at all!
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 01:23:21 am
Quote from: "jough"
But yeah, if that's acceptable to you, I guess it's no big deal.  Dickhead.


Yeah, I guess I'm pretty OK with you being inconvenienced!

Sheesh, can't a guy be a little envious around here?  I could get the sattelite, but it's hella expensive.  I'd have a hard time justifying it just so's I could d/l pron faster.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 02:12:57 am
Plus ping times for satellite suck. Even the ads admit you can't play games that way.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 02:45:24 am
I am sorry for calling you a dickhead.  I couldn't think of anything that would be insulting but not sound like I was angry at you, which I wasn't.

Yeah, satellite is silly expensive, especially considering it's not all that fast. It does work pretty much anywhere in the world, though, and as long as you don't have to upload (it's asynchronous) the download speeds are more than sufficient for surfing and e-mail.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 02:54:06 am
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, satellite is silly expensive, especially considering it's not all that fast. It does work pretty much anywhere in the world, though, and as long as you don't have to upload (it's asynchronous) the download speeds are more than sufficient for surfing and e-mail.


? I thought the current crop of satellite connections were 2 way. Or is that not what "asynchronous" means?

At my previous house neither cable nor DSL were available until recently so a pretty decent wireless service sprung up all on its own. People might want to look into that non-traditional "forgotten" broadband option.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 03:02:46 am
Asynchronous in terms of bandwidth means that the connection speeds are slower out than in.

Most DSL is really "ADSL" (sometimes you'll still see adverts for SDSL, which is more expensive).

For instance, most cable modem connections are 128Mbps upstream and 384Mbps when downloading - DSL is often faster, but results vary, whereas cable modem offers fairly consistent mediocre speeds (as high speed goes, I mean).

And DSL may come in tiers of service - the 768Mbps speed may be $20-40 cheaper than the 1.2Gbps speed - at least it is with Verizon DSL.

DirectTV DSL (formerly Telocity) is no longer a factor, as they've gone out of business.

Verizon just resells DSL service for two or more companies anyway - Qwest and... I can't remember the other choice that was available at the time.  They may have added further choices since then.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2003, 03:03:51 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
? I thought the current crop of satellite connections were 2 way. Or is that not what "asynchronous" means?


Nope, sorry.

a- : prefix, from Greek, meaning without
synchronous : from Greek, approximately meaning "at the same time"

Converted into bandwidth-speak, "asynchronous" means "different speeds in different directions." "Synchronous" would mean "same speed, all directions."


This lesson has been brought to you by Tiger Beer. Rawr!
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 03:05:36 am
Please don't be sorry for calling me a dickhead, it would totally change my opinion of you.  Calling me a dickhead is an essential part of the Joughness we've all come to know and love!

You know, after years of thought and study I've come to a few conclusions.  Here's one:  In any group dynamic there must be at least one Moe.  Somebody to slap people around, poke 'em in the eyes and call them a mallethead so as to preserve some semblance of order.

Jough, you are this board's Moe, and I appreciate it.  In real life I spend much of my time being the Moe, both in my professional and personal life.  It can be wearisome.  Folks are always blundering around and bonking you in the head with lead pipes, setting your ##### on fire with blowtorches or feeding you cakes with potholders baked inside.  As Moe you gotta take it in stride, knock some heads together and straighten things out.  

It can be wearisome.

Thanks for being the Moe around here.

You muttonhead.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 03:09:43 am
Also, to stay on the topic of the previous hijack --

It's somewhat ironic that satellite internet is so expensive, especially since satellite TV is such a good deal compared to cable.

I've had DirecTV since '96 and I'm pretty sure my rates have never been raised.  How many cable customer can say that?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 03:34:49 am
Yeah, but you can't watch tv when it's raining, or so the cable company's ads have said.

When I apologised for calling you a "dickhead," I meant I was sorry I wasn't more original, like calling you an "assface" or "Limbaugh Brain."

And Choop, re: asynchronous - jinx.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2003, 03:45:10 am
That's mostly bullshit.  Yeah, if it's pouring down rain (like buckets, not drizzle or even plain ol' steady rainfall) I used to get some interruption.  I can't recall ever being out more than 15 minutes.

Now they got the oval dishes that are a little bit bigger which are supposed to solve this problem.  I've only had mine for about 3 months and I haven't had any rain delays yet.  We have had some serious rains in that time, for what it's worth.

Also, if you called me a "Limbaugh Brain" I would be inclined to search you down and place a flaming bag of dog feces on your front porch, then ring your doorbell and run.  Unfortunately, my dial-up internet connection makes it far too time consuming and inconvenient for me to do the research to track you down, so you are safe.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: doomglobe on October 17, 2003, 04:39:54 am
I like the other thread on today's strip better.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 17, 2003, 10:52:03 am
Skipping lightly over the more intense stuff, and into geekdom again...
Satellite broadband does come in both two and one way service.
I am currently looking at one way, since I can't afford two way. One way can be done at cable type speeds for around £25 a month. The same as cable. Downside being that the upload speed is whatever shitty speed your current modem gives you.
I would love to get two way, but alas it would mean waiting for a decent income. Which... We'll see...
If I lived 6 miles closer to Berwick I would have DSL right now. Only getting speeds of around 60k/sec, but then compared to what I get now...
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 01:50:55 pm
When I lived with my parents I had DirecTV and they had cable. DTV won overwhelmingly both in overall picture quality and uptime. There was really no contest. Especially during last winter's practical blizzard. I lost service for a totally of maybe 4 hours while the cable was out for a day or more. Plus picture quality over DTV rocks, especially if you use DirecTiVo vs. regular TiVo.

Couldn't the Verizon install signal amplifiers for DSL just like they use for voice and make that service available to everybody instead of just the choosen few close to a switching station?

Also, remember when Roast Beef was "the other cat" now Pat is? Wasupwitdat?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 06:54:43 pm
Broadband Wireless would be wonderful, since I use a laptop primarily.

However, even the fastest wireless available now (realistically, 802.11g) is still far slower than even cable modem (which isn't really fast enough for any "broadband" uses), let alone high-speed DSL.

But that's the way the market is going to go, eventually.  Within 5 years I can see T1 speeds for wireless - there's a huge market for broadband on the go - money just waiting to be collected.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Noah on October 17, 2003, 11:11:24 pm
I'm pretty certain it's AmINakedOrNot.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 11:57:46 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
I'm pretty certain it's AmINakedOrNot.


Good call! That was one of Achewood's top referers a while ago. I should have remembered.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 18, 2003, 02:40:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Comcast also pisses me off with it's regional pricing structure. In Arlington cable is way more expensive than DirecTV. But at my soon-to-be in-laws Comcast is way cheaper. And the problem is that appts in Arlington never have balconies.

If I understand it right the phone companies could fix a lot of DSL's speed/reach issues if they felt like it. But they're willing to deal with the signal loss. Plus, I hate Verizon even more than Comcast.


Doesn't Cox operate in Arlington as well?
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 18, 2003, 04:38:23 pm
Nope. Comcast is almost the entire DC metro area except Loudoun County which has Adelphia and Fairfax County/City which has Cox.

If you're actually in DC you can also get Starpower.
Title: fuck*ng Comcast Killed Roast Beef! - 16 October 2003
Post by: palm trees on October 20, 2003, 12:03:15 am
anyone else been in a no-internet fix due to non-computer circumstances? my girlfriend's been visitin' this weekend an as pleasant as that is, it does mean i have a bit of a backlog to catch up on.
as the man says, TYPIN' URLS LIKE CRAZY