The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on August 29, 2007, 06:41:27 pm

Title: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 29, 2007, 06:41:27 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08292007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08292007)

I had the urge to do that to my room - when I was 10.  Then my town got an Applebee's and I realized how silly it looks to actually have flags and stacks of stuff and posters all over your room.

I did, however, buy a Gordie Howe hockey sweater that I wear with chinos and loafers, Cameron Frye style.  Now Found Item Clothing (http://www.founditemclothing.com/t-shirts/caduceus.html) is selling the matching caduceus t-shirt.  Now all I need is a Ferrari and a diaper to wipe it with.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 06:51:21 pm
Wow.

The Evaporation of Gumption moment is something I understand too too deeply.

I... I thought I was a Roast Beef all along but... could I possibly be a Teodor?

Oh man. Total realizing-you're-a-breast-man existensial crisis time.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: colmore on August 29, 2007, 07:03:07 pm
I think I've grown from being a Teodor into being R. Beef...

what the hell does that say?
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: wombat on August 29, 2007, 07:08:52 pm
Both the baby update and the strip today make me feel completely out of it.  I guess I'll go sit in the rocker on the porch now. Hey, get off of my lawn!
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: CortJstr on August 29, 2007, 07:11:40 pm
T, you like goth chicks because they are hot. Not necessarily fun to be around or talk to, but hot.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: theinevitable on August 29, 2007, 08:28:26 pm
i obviously have a faulty memory, because I feel like stacks of stuff and posters is basically a generic room. Or, at least, my room?

also, I love goth girls. and punk girls.
basically any girl who wears weird clothes in a idiosyncratic or boring "subcultural" way is attractive to me.
this causes problems for me, in my life.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: nDed on August 29, 2007, 11:29:54 pm
Oh thanks a lot Onstad. Until today I had managed to not think about Kid Rock for almost five years.

I think a lot of us only wish that we were as desperately miserable as Roast Beef.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 29, 2007, 11:53:37 pm
On extended thought, Axl Rose is probably my generation's Sinatra.

I am just slightly too old to be saddled with Kid Rock or... I dunno... Kurt Cobain, I guess?

And Axl Rose isn't the worst Frank Sinatra to have. At least he's completely batshit insane in an admirable Howard Hughes kinda way, occasionally crawling out of caves with Kleenex boxes on his feet to ALMOST release some music, show up at a few awards shows and then scurry back.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: oball on August 30, 2007, 12:46:22 am
I like goth girls if they're pretty.  I don't like goth girls when they're trying to pack the mass of a small neutron star into a corset, see-through lace top and black PVC trousers, which sadly seems to be the norm around here.

Not that I hate fat people or anything.  I'm fat, too.  But at least I have the decency to wear baggy clothes so that others are not forced to view my rippling folds.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Bimmicus on August 30, 2007, 02:25:11 am
I think a lot of us only wish that we were as desperately miserable as Roast Beef.

Nooooo, you really don't. Trust me on this one.

Apropos of nothing, I wants me a fat little goth chick for Xmas.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: nDed on August 30, 2007, 05:04:59 am
Well I was going to write something about that sort of thing not actually being desirable outside of appearing to have "cred" here at TOUAMB, but I didn't want to appear condescending.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: linnea on August 30, 2007, 05:22:54 am
Well I was going to write something about that sort of thing not actually being desirable outside of appearing to have "cred" here at TOUAMB, but I didn't want to appear condescending.

Man, that is total flamebait. You really think that folks on this board pretend to have depression so they can be more like a cartoon cat?
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Lister on August 30, 2007, 05:32:43 am
I think that what we need more of is gumption.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Toaster on August 30, 2007, 06:49:06 am
I'm 17, and I've been thinking today about who is my generation's Sinatra. I came to the conclusion of Justin Timberlake.

Also, I love Teodor's little right-before-waking-up happy face.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: nDed on August 30, 2007, 02:11:19 pm
Man, that is total flamebait. You really think that folks on this board pretend to have depression so they can be more like a cartoon cat?

No, I don't really think that people here pretend to be genuinely and seriously depressed to appear cool. I just think that people identify themselves more closely with Beef during periods in their lives when they are either unusually sad or computer literate. Sometimes this manifests itself in the form of quoting or invoking to image of Roast Beef in relation to events in their lives that aren't really that depressing. Basically I think that R. Beef is used by people here at TOUAMB (and probably by Onstad) to help cope with sadness through humor, and maybe to remind them that there's always somebody having a crappier time.

I was just joking on the first post. In hindsight, I should have used better wording, or perhaps a well placed "NOT!". The second was just a poorly executed attempt to point out that I was joking.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 30, 2007, 06:25:57 pm
The idea of people pretending to be depressed/disturbed because they think it makes them cool has always really fascinated me insofaras... y'know... actually having the anxiety is not fun at all. It is about the least cool thing about my life other than the fact that I will probably die some day.

Something that, of course, I am very anxious about.

Granted, we all try to find the good sides of even our worst problems in an attempt to claim them and control them but mental issues, even relatively mild non-psychotic ones, pretty damn well much suck.

I pass the teenagers in Hot Topic, y'know, and I wonder... do they really get what they're aping? Do they understand how awful it is to deal with what they're posing as?

This can't be because I'm Getting Old because I thought these things the same when I was a supremely-messed-up thirteen-year-old as I do now as a mostly-messed-up twenty-eight-year-old.

All of Ben Folds' best work is about this line of thinking.

Tangentally, man, Ben Folds was a lot better when only a little of his music was about how much he loves his wife and how incredibly awesome and precious his children are, wasn't he?
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Drastic Action on August 30, 2007, 07:05:59 pm
Yeah, he has mellowed out, but his stuff still hooks me.  It's sort of a different thing, sometimes.  He also doesn't seem diminished when playing live.
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 01, 2007, 07:01:39 am
The idea of people pretending to be depressed/disturbed because they think it makes them cool has always really fascinated me insofaras... y'know... actually having the anxiety is not fun at all. It is about the least cool thing about my life other than the fact that I will probably die some day.

Something that, of course, I am very anxious about.

Granted, we all try to find the good sides of even our worst problems in an attempt to claim them and control them but mental issues, even relatively mild non-psychotic ones, pretty damn well much suck.

I pass the teenagers in Hot Topic, y'know, and I wonder... do they really get what they're aping? Do they understand how awful it is to deal with what they're posing as?

This can't be because I'm Getting Old because I thought these things the same when I was a supremely-messed-up thirteen-year-old as I do now as a mostly-messed-up twenty-eight-year-old.

All of Ben Folds' best work is about this line of thinking.

Tangentally, man, Ben Folds was a lot better when only a little of his music was about how much he loves his wife and how incredibly awesome and precious his children are, wasn't he?

I'm old by the standards of this board and my sure-to-be unpopular opinion is that Americans are overdiagnosed and worse, over self-diagnosed. (and worse yet, often, self medicated). It's a result of a lot of factors, not the least of which are:

1) The need to have a reason for everything. Some things really do just happen.

2) The need to define 'normal' relatively narrowly and then find a term to describe everything outside of the arbitrary definition, and find a cause. And then fix it. (While simultaneously saying how great diversity is!)

3) Allowing pharmaceutical companies to aggressively market drugs, and by association, diagnoses to the public.

4) Allowing and exposing our kids to a media culture that stresses physical perfection, and presents/defines wellness too narrowly and with too much emphasis on mental and physical health. There's a lot more to wellness than that.

There are other factors too, but we'll fight about some of those. Personally, I've gone through times in my life when I was depressed and other times when I wasn't. There have been bad times and good times. I've learned about myself and how I treat other people and I've changed in some ways. At the end of the day, at the end of my life, whatever my personal idiosyncrasies are called mean nothing - there is, mainly, what I did about it (or what help I got) and how I came to become a better person because of or in spite of them.

I just hope that people don't get too hung up on their moods or those things that make them a little different from everyone else. Most of the time, you aren't different than them, it's just that you present differently. That's the diversity again. Like John Allison's T-shirt says "It is OK to be you".
Title: Re: 29 August 2007 - Kid Rock is our Sinatra
Post by: Doc on September 01, 2007, 08:38:45 am
AD as one of the youngest guys on this board I'd say that's about right.

Which is not to say the reality and prevalence of mental illness should be played down, if anything over-diagnosis will probably lead to poorer treatment for those who are seriously affected.
Some people, in the words of Chopper Read, need to harden up.