The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on September 02, 2007, 11:15:03 pm

Title: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 02, 2007, 11:15:03 pm
http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/09/02/opus/index.html (http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/09/02/opus/index.html)

I dont really get what the too offensive part is, but then again I didn't really see the offense in that allah-bombhead thing either.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 02, 2007, 11:47:43 pm
The PC idiots win. There is nothing offensive here. The 'burqini' exists; the women is modest; the American is basically an asshole. So what, they didn't want to offend Americans? Whatever.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: wombat on September 02, 2007, 11:58:00 pm
This is neither funny nor offensive as far as I can tell and I'm not sure I follow the political allegory either. 

It is very sad how pointless this whole strip is - I wish he'd stayed retired.

Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2007, 12:10:20 am
in my understanding, the whole arc is the issue, not this particular strip. I never know what I think about this kind of thing.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: linnea on September 03, 2007, 06:16:36 am
Ah jeez. The burqa issue. Why did he even touch that with a ten-foot pole? I don't get the strip because I have no idea what the arc is about.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: mavies on September 03, 2007, 07:51:38 am
That really wasn't worth reading. I can't see how it's offensive at all. But then I guess most cartoonists and editors don't want to cause riots and be burnt in effigy so won't do anything that stands even the remotest chance of pissing off the muslims.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Doc on September 03, 2007, 08:37:18 am
There's an interesting post over on Websnark pointing out that the washington post are the people who actually own the syndicate that run Opus and so the decision to pull it might have been a bit of a publicity stunt.
I'm normally against conspiracy theories (for all that I love them) but I'm leaning towards it in this case because, damn, that is neither funny nor offensive.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Golfhaus on September 03, 2007, 01:04:03 pm
Opus, as I see it, is basically the least funny characters from Bloom County, along with some new replacement characters? Does that pretty much sum it up?

I know Breathed's idea was that he would be a bit more experimental with Opus than he could be with Bloom County, but man.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 04:23:08 pm
Lame. Lame cartoon. Lame overreaction.

I'm just looking forward to the point when we are all in little bubbles connected to the internet and that is the only way we interact with the world, and we can all set our interfaces to auto-delete anything we find offensive before our precious, delicate sensibilities get offended.

Man I like the prefix 'inter'.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Golfhaus on September 03, 2007, 08:06:17 pm
Me too... that shit's gonna be great.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2007, 02:48:19 am
Up to the point where some dickwad decides that other people shouldn't be looking at something they deem offensive (NB: This will happen five femtoseconds after such a filter exists)
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2007, 02:54:19 am
The Post used to constantly pull The Boondocks for weeks at a time for no apparent reason. There would just be a little line stating they wouldn't be running it and the link lead to the previous Sunday's strip. There was never an explanation or a qualification for what the fuck "offensive" means.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: jough on September 04, 2007, 03:40:28 am
"Offensive" in cartoons usually means "hits too close to home for the average white person."  Also, if we can't make fun of muslims, then truly the terrorists have won.  No one is above ridicule.  It's the American Way.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2007, 01:24:54 pm
"Offensive" in cartoons usually means "hits too close to home for the average white person."  Also, if we can't make fun of muslims, then truly the terrorists have won.  No one is above ridicule.  It's the American Way.

I'm much more offended when newspapers make shit up. Did the guy actually say, "expletive deleted"? No? Then don't fuck*ng print it inside quotation marks you god damned moron!
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Ruta Bagas on September 05, 2007, 01:43:04 pm
If that's the most offensive kind of making shit up your newspapers do I'm getting a raw deal.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Bimmicus on September 05, 2007, 01:55:10 pm
There's an interesting post over on Websnark pointing out that the washington post are the people who actually own the syndicate that run Opus and so the decision to pull it might have been a bit of a publicity stunt.

Hmm, ya think? Because god knows there's nothing else interesting about Opus.

Berke Breathed is a perfect example of someone who had it, lost it, and ain't never getting it back. What's more is that he seems blissfully unware of this, still fatuating arrogantly whenever he opens his mouth and fully confident that his doo-doo don't stink.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2007, 02:01:38 pm
Hmm, ya think? Because god knows there's nothing else interesting about Opus.

Berke Breathed is a perfect example of someone who had it, lost it, and ain't never getting it back. What's more is that he seems blissfully unware of this, still fatuating arrogantly whenever he opens his mouth and fully confident that his doo-doo don't stink.

Oh man, the kids love me!

Berke, that was 25 years ago.
Title: Re: Washington Post drops 'offensive' middle east cartoon...
Post by: Bimmicus on September 05, 2007, 02:07:38 pm
And he insists on being called "Berkeley" now because "berk" is considered an unflattering term in certain countries that are not America. I say, if the shoe fits...