The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 04:44:50 am

Title: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 04:44:50 am
Man, somebody just used this word on me (in a way). It's been a while since I heard it, but it just always struck me like . . . I don't know, like don't we have enough words in our language? And doesn't it just mean 'get' or 'understand'? Does anyone here use it? Don't be embarassed to answer; I mean, I'm an idiot. What does my opinion count for?
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 03, 2007, 05:05:05 am
I've used "grok" in conversation before but not often.

Pretty much, man, I think it means more than "get" or "understand"... there's a level of affection to it, more than just knowing, there's something like love involved as well.

Female Star Trek fans would wear shirts that said "I Grok Spock".

This is the level on which I understand "grok".
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Lister on September 03, 2007, 07:19:58 am
It's a Heinlein-ism.  It basically means to comprehend fully.

In other words, when one of us uses it, the phrase "I can't grok it" means "I do not fully understand it, but I read Heinlein so I'm obviously pretty smart."
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: mavies on September 03, 2007, 07:49:02 am
I used it once or twice after I read the book, then stopped when I realised no one else was grokking it at all. It's a pretty nifty word in a way, I guess it kind of encapsulates (another nifty word!) all different kinds of understanding.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Doc on September 03, 2007, 08:40:33 am
I never used it but I like it in that it means complete understanding, much deeper than the superficial 'get'.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 02:07:01 pm
Yeah, I understand what it's supposed to mean, and where it comes from. I'll be pretentious and let y'all know I read it when I was 13. I'm just saying that if the language needed 'grok', it wouldn't have waited till the 60s to come up with it. I mean, I find that 'understand' or 'get' conveys everything I need to say most of the time, and the rest of the time I can modify with 'really'.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2007, 02:27:34 pm
I was listening to an interview from the NPR show Fresh Air the other day and one of the two guys she was interviewing used it, and the other one teased him mercilessly.  He insisted it was a cool word because Steve Jobs used it.

Damn, I'll bet this story would make a lot more sense if I could remember who it was... hmm, I think it was two guys who made the movie Ratatouille.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 02:55:26 pm
For background, I had a friend who used this word a lot, and I had to drop him. Knew him for 30 years, too. It's just that in order to use it, he had to fuck*ng shoehorn it into a sentence. It's just so jarring.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: side_show on September 03, 2007, 03:30:29 pm
I used it in conversation once, then said "did I just say grok?  What does that even mean?"  The other person didn't know.  Also, as applied above, I was using it totally wrong - I was using it to refer to the gross gunk and schlock that washing up on the river bank in the city.  I was using it as a conjunction of those words.  I think I said "all that grok and sludge."
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 03, 2007, 04:24:39 pm
For background, I had a friend who used this word a lot, and I had to drop him. Knew him for 30 years, too. It's just that in order to use it, he had to fuck*ng shoehorn it into a sentence. It's just so jarring.

Did you know that nabu once interrupted coitus completely because the woman made a grok sound? He burned her village of orphans and used the ashes in a lubricant jelly.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 04:34:52 pm
Did you know that nabu once interrupted coitus completely because the woman made a grok sound? He burned her village of orphans and used the ashes in a lubricant jelly.

I was tough but fair. It had to be done. It was necessary to burn the village in order to save it.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: lprkn on September 03, 2007, 06:22:54 pm
...I'm just saying that if the language needed 'grok', it wouldn't have waited till the 60s to come up with it.

I'm pretty sure "unibrow" didn't show up until the 90's, and it is completely indispensable.

(But don't say grok, that's lame.)
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: gloomba on September 03, 2007, 06:36:31 pm
I'm with Nabu.  It's unnecessary and irritating and is basically only used to call attention to how cool/smart/worldly the person is for having read Heinlein, in social circles where that's the sort of thing that's considered cool.  I know some people who say it, and I always have to suppress the urge to roll my eyes or to vomit.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: theinevitable on September 03, 2007, 06:48:35 pm
i would like to think that I am at an age/of a generation that... I am the only person who has read that book.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2007, 07:39:18 pm
I have heard it, and think it's kind of lame. 

I agree with Nabu that we already have words that do this.  Memo to Science Fiction Authors: Do Not Make Up Slang. 

Then again, William Gibson invented all kinds of words for things that didn't exist at the time, but that we now use in everyday life.  Words like...cyberspace.  But I don't think prescription drug abuse will ever be called "doing hexagons."  So I guess you win some, you lose some in that arena. 
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 08:07:06 pm
I'm down with quijybo, cromulent, and grelicious, though.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: smick on September 03, 2007, 10:00:13 pm
I like using "Brazillian" as a numerical value.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: linnea on September 03, 2007, 10:42:28 pm
I have heard it, and think it's kind of lame. 

I agree with Nabu that we already have words that do this.  Memo to Science Fiction Authors: Do Not Make Up Slang. 

Then again, William Gibson invented all kinds of words for things that didn't exist at the time, but that we now use in everyday life.  Words like...cyberspace.  But I don't think prescription drug abuse will ever be called "doing hexagons."  So I guess you win some, you lose some in that arena. 

Man, I wish I could score some derms. I'm gonna need some when I get my coveted laser skin resurfacing for my cute little mug.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 03, 2007, 10:58:53 pm
A good friend of mine is an aspiring science-fiction novelist and...

His stuff isn't amazing but it's solid. A little redundant but sturdy superhero-meets-space-military-fiction kinda stuff.

...but he just loves making up sciencefiction words for stuff. And it's often very distracting.

I think the key is:

If there is no word for the thing you have envisioned, go wild and make up a word.

If there is a plain-English term that works for something, for Christ's sake, use that.

Do not make up stuff just to make it up.

Creating new words for lengths of measure and time and so on is not necessary at all.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 03, 2007, 11:18:43 pm
Well, and grok is a Martian word. Hey, Bobby - I don't speak Martian. Don't give me a few words in Martian to give me the 'feel'. Write the whole book in Martian if it's so goddamn important.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 03, 2007, 11:54:55 pm
I like using "Brazillian" as a numerical value.
For me, its Texas. As in, "A-CAP costs something like $TEXAS per semester, and they still dont give us toilet paper"
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Ben-San on September 04, 2007, 12:10:26 am
The existence of "grok" within Stranger In A Strange Land is fine insofar as the book presupposes that there is a level of spiritual comprehension and understanding heretofore undiscovered by humanity and therefore not adequately described by any existing words.

However, taken in that way, it is as accurate to say "I really grokked what the author was saying" as "I really injected what the author was saying". It's a word that describes an activity other than what you actually did, which was understand.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 04, 2007, 01:49:35 am
The existence of "grok" within Stranger In A Strange Land is fine insofar as the book presupposes that there is a level of spiritual comprehension and understanding heretofore undiscovered by humanity and therefore not adequately described by any existing words.

However, taken in that way, it is as accurate to say "I really grokked what the author was saying" as "I really injected what the author was saying". It's a word that describes an activity other than what you actually did, which was understand.

Nice. I should have just had you look at my thread before I posted it. You clearly gro . . . sorry.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2007, 02:45:43 am
Why are we of all people criticising a word for being unnecessary though? I don't like the idea of a purely functional language. Although some of you might think this is a double-plus-good thing.
Using words like grok doesn't just communicate what the word means it implies a shared background and understanding, which can often be very wanky yes but it is still an additional layer of meaning.

I'm with you on making up sci fi terms too much though. The intro to Nightfall summed it up pretty nicely by saying that it was going to use terms like cars, miles and computers on the understanding that this was an alien planet that had nothing like our cars, miles and computers but it was better than making up gibberish. Asimov is the Man. (Silverberg isn't so bad either).
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2007, 02:48:47 am
last post in: grok by doc

It made me laugh, and here I go ruining it for everyone else. 

Also: Asimov, yes. 
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: jough on September 04, 2007, 02:59:49 am
I think I've been hearing "grok" more and more from fellow geeks, and it always sounds a little jarring to me.  It takes me out of the movie.

Also, I dated a girl in college who used to refer to our lives in terms of a movie, like every time we interacted it had to be a "scene."  I was her leading man, etc., but then she started fuck*ng the director and just took the whole film to a different plane of reality.

Anyway, yeah, grok is pretentious.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2007, 03:05:21 am
I think I've been hearing "grok" more and more from fellow geeks, and it always sounds a little jarring to me.  It takes me out of the movie.

Also, I dated a girl in college who used to refer to our lives in terms of a movie, like every time we interacted it had to be a "scene."  I was her leading man, etc., but then she started fuck*ng the director and just took the whole film to a different plane of reality.

Damaged goods, man.  That is freakish.  Have you ever dated a normal girl?  That I would put on par with "I look human but I am really a vampire." 

Alternate realities are never a good sign in a romantic partner. 
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: jough on September 04, 2007, 03:26:35 am
I like the ones who can dissociate from reality.  It helps prevent (further) emotional scarring from the violent sexxin'.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2007, 03:59:32 am
yeah, totally. I only date insane chicks.

Now I am going to start insinuating that this is due to plan instead of accident of nature.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Ben-San on September 04, 2007, 05:08:20 am
What does it mean to be fuck*ng the director in the context of thinking life is a movie? The only options I can think of are "conspiracy nut doing it with a Freemason Grand Master" or "Mary".
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 04, 2007, 05:32:35 am
What does it mean to be fuck*ng the director in the context of thinking life is a movie? The only options I can think of are "conspiracy nut doing it with a Freemason Grand Master" or "Mary".

You keep your slimy hands off the GM, you hear? We run the world.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Doc on September 04, 2007, 11:17:23 am
"Mary".
I was going to say Nun, but I guess you might as well go to the top.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 04, 2007, 03:58:23 pm
Let's hope it doesn't mean Dad.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: lprkn on September 04, 2007, 07:13:01 pm
I think the key is:

If there is no word for the thing you have envisioned, go wild and make up a word.

If there is a plain-English term that works for something, for Christ's sake, use that.

Do not make up stuff just to make it up.

Creating new words for lengths of measure and time and so on is not necessary at all.

I agree with you mostly, but I think that it can really depend upon the writer and their execution. Philip Pullman's stuff (His Dark Materials) is full of arcane words for everyday things and concepts, but it still comes across very well.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 04, 2007, 07:32:53 pm
The only word invented by an artist in the last 20 years that I actually use often in everyday speech is 'crunk'.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: CortJstr on September 04, 2007, 07:34:21 pm
The only word invented by an artist in the last 20 years that I actually use often in everyday speech is 'crunk'.

The fake all-purpose swear word that Conan made up when his show was new? Or was that spelled with a k?
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2007, 08:13:51 pm
crunk is lovely.
as are most other rap words. Oh man, those rap people.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: smick on September 04, 2007, 08:29:41 pm
Would you be all hyphy with me, inev?  We can get stupid together.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on September 04, 2007, 08:34:49 pm
I suspect crunk juice is a little salty.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 04, 2007, 08:59:19 pm
Would you be all hyphy with me, inev?  We can get stupid together.

Do you ghost ride with regularity, smick?
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: theinevitable on September 04, 2007, 10:54:41 pm
damn, dude, we can get wicked dumb.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: smick on September 05, 2007, 04:13:10 am
Do you ghost ride with regularity, smick?

Yes, but only at work.  I ghost ride my task chair frequently.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: lprkn on September 05, 2007, 05:37:53 am
I suspect crunk juice is a little salty.

You suspect? Or do you know?
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: arkabee on November 13, 2007, 06:08:58 pm
In other words, when one of us uses it, the phrase "I can't grok it" means "I do not fully understand it, but I read Heinlein so I'm obviously pretty smart."

best definition ever.


to be honest, i have attempted to use the word in context before, but have always failed due to circumstances.



But I don't think prescription drug abuse will ever be called "doing hexagons."

but it HSOULD be.  totally.


Title: Re: Grok
Post by: AugustWest on November 13, 2007, 06:30:23 pm
Well hey, Ark.  How the hell are you?
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: linnea on November 14, 2007, 01:43:31 am
Well hey, Ark.  How the hell are you?

Yeah! Hi, Ark!
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: pmcd9 on November 14, 2007, 06:09:40 am
Ark is that guy from small times that we see so rarely now we make a big deal of it when he shows his face.

Hi Ark, we love you man, don't be such a stranger.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: side_show on November 15, 2007, 11:03:34 pm
No!  Don't you know he likes it if you whip him and call him a asslick?  Thanks a lot guys, now he won't be back for six months.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2007, 07:31:58 pm
Fuck it, bumped because Ark was here. Hi, Ark.
Title: Re: Grok
Post by: arkabee on January 24, 2008, 11:08:04 pm
so, does anyone grok 2008 yet?

Title: Re: Grok
Post by: Nabubrush on January 24, 2008, 11:50:42 pm
I re-read this book for a book club since I started this thread, and upon careful examination, it turns out that no Earthling should ever use the word grok.