The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jay-ell on September 04, 2007, 04:39:56 pm

Title: Quechup
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2007, 04:39:56 pm
I know some of you folks are on Myspace, Facebook, and the like, and it seems another networking site has popped up that is rather unscrupulous in its recruitment techniques. 

Long story short: decline all invitations. 

Short story long: read this article (http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/09/spam_alert_just_say_no_to_quechup_1.html). 

Bad business, people. 
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: Ruta Bagas on September 05, 2007, 01:38:13 pm
I always used to be the sort to assume that something was down to incompetence rather than lack of scruples.

It's disheartening to realise that I've changed.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: Nabubrush on September 05, 2007, 02:02:10 pm
The name of the site alone is much too twee for me.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: theinevitable on September 05, 2007, 04:13:34 pm
I think I had a dream that I got emails from all my friends inviting me.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 05, 2007, 09:29:50 pm
I'm disappointed that this thread is not about a cheese-based ketchup from Mexico, perhaps invented by Lonis Edison.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: linnea on September 06, 2007, 12:22:27 am
I'm disappointed that this thread is not about a cheese-based ketchup from Mexico, perhaps invented by Lonis Edison.

Heh! Totally astute. Would you be disappointed in ... a tiny can?
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: Golfhaus on September 08, 2007, 11:48:32 pm
I got an invitation for something called WAYN that suggested doing the same thing.

Call me old-fashioned, but any time a site says, "Give us your Yahoo! and AIM screen name and password, and we'll take it from there," I hit my back button with all due speed.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: linnea on September 09, 2007, 01:09:15 am
I got an invitation for something called WAYN that suggested doing the same thing.

Call me old-fashioned, but any time a site says, "Give us your Yahoo! and AIM screen name and password, and we'll take it from there," I hit my back button with all due speed.

Some of my friends persuaded me to sign up for WAYN, Where Are You Now. It's basically a horrible interface so you can see all the places your friends have been. It's kind of like a travel social network.  I get occasional emails from them even though I have tried to change my settings. I canceled my account with them because it was too annoying.
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: theinevitable on September 09, 2007, 01:27:14 am
facebook asked for my AIM SN and password, and I gave it.

it found a bunch of random internet friends who I used to play Neverwinter Nights with?
Title: Re: Quechup
Post by: Dexter on September 10, 2007, 03:50:16 am
facebook asked for my AIM SN and password, and I gave it.

it found a bunch of random internet friends who I used to play Neverwinter Nights with?
Facebook asked for my AIM screen name and password, and I said "screw you, buddy!"

This is mostly because I trust a faceless corporation even less with that kind of thing than I would another human being.