The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Golfhaus on September 09, 2007, 03:34:55 am

Title: Rosetta Stone
Post by: Golfhaus on September 09, 2007, 03:34:55 am
So, as it turns out, being a member of my local library offers me free access to some languages in the Rosetta Stone program. My wife and I are thinking of taking the course in Spanish - if it's free, why not? Just wondering if anyone's used the software and what they have to say about it.
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 09, 2007, 03:45:17 am
uh how about you burn one and send it my way? I did the demo and ive been dieing for one ever since, problem is it costs like $80.
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: Golfhaus on September 09, 2007, 03:49:52 am
Scandalous! I would if I could, but the flash files download from a central source - we don't actually get our hands on CDs or anything.
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2007, 05:48:56 am
It helped the hardworking farmboy bag the Italian supermodel, so it must be pretty good.


You know, I went looking for a copy of that ad, and I found out that you can use it to learn Iñupiaq. That's pretty cool. Let us know how it goes, would you?
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: wombat on September 09, 2007, 09:22:35 pm
I looked at some of the Japanese version for someone and my opinion was that I didn't think you could learn a language this way without supplementing it with a textbook. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 10, 2007, 07:08:57 pm
I have Rosetta Stone for beginning Polish, which I bought years back in preparation for a then-impending trip to Poland.  I ran through the first couple lessons, said "I am not going to actually learn much useful from this in the three weeks I have," and shelved it.  If I had buckets of free time, I'd pull it back out and give it a try, because I too am curious to know if the method can be effective if one persists.

The Polish word for cat is "kot."  And "samochod" I think is car, though it might be plane.  That's all I remember.
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: melack on September 13, 2007, 06:26:07 am
And the Polish word for "submarine hatch" is "screen door."
Title: Re: Rosetta Stone
Post by: lprkn on September 17, 2007, 02:54:11 am
Any people that charge German tanks with hosss, though, they got a lot in the sack department and not so much in the brain department.