The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 01:51:44 pm

Title: Chicken allergies (10-17-03)
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 01:51:44 pm
Somebody find out if it really is possible to be allergic to chicken. JL, I'm looking in your direction.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10172003).
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 17, 2003, 02:16:50 pm
Maybe he could eat Mock Chicken (http://www.chowhound.com/boards/general3/messages/4475.html).

(No, it's not some wacky vegan thing. It's worse. WHAT IS GOING ON, CANADA?)

Oh and chicken/egg allergies are semi-common. The topic comes up a lot this time of year, because the flu vaccine is egg based or something.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: V-Adore on October 17, 2003, 03:11:15 pm
Best visual detail of the strip: the slow darkening of the background as Beef goes on.

Best character detail: Beef waiting a few seconds to hang up the phone.

Priceless.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on October 17, 2003, 04:09:04 pm
The alt-text is also priceless.

'The music was perfect: it was Classical'
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 04:49:36 pm
What I like is that Beef's story does absolutely nothing to back up his claim. If the Bubble Boy killed himself right after eating the chicken that wouldn't really leave time for a reaction.

And only Ray would even think of falling for "I'm getting kind of allergic." He's no really allergic, just kind of. And he's not even the whole way to kind of, just approaching kind of.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: wombat on October 17, 2003, 08:24:07 pm
Chicken meat allergies are rare, although chicken egg allergies are common, as surely must be the desire for something pizza-related when someone offers you some dumb old chicken.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: jough on October 17, 2003, 08:36:14 pm
Rice is about the only thing that no one's allergic to.

Just FYI when dealing with a picky eater.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2003, 08:41:34 pm
I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.

I'm all about some pizza rolls for a late night snack but that was some tasty looking chicken. If I was a cartoon I'd totally have had some of that.

Weird ass thought of the day: Ray is supposed to be roughly normal cat size. Yet the chicken was in proportion to a human. Does the underground raise tiny chickens? Was it a cornish game hen (baby chicken)? Has the underground perfected Shrink Ray Technology*? It's not easy living inside my head.

*There's a pun available here. It is totally unintentional, I assure you.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2003, 08:42:56 pm
I like the visual of the bubble be being slowly suffocated by the bubble while the doctors who gave him the fatal Yakitori skewer look on. With classical music playing in the background.

Interesting to imagine how that would work, though - the air pressure outside the bubble (or the respiration of the bubble boy)(or both) would have to be (significantly) higher then the air that held the bubble up in order to suffocate him.

It would be fascinating to try in a practical way. Does anyone know a bubble boy? Better yet, can we stuff  John Travolta back into his Plastic Bubble (http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1800040473&cf=info&intl=us) and try it?
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: Choop on October 17, 2003, 10:29:38 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.


Just Elphaba (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060987103/) (excellent reading, by the way)
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: AugustWest on October 18, 2003, 02:35:49 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm guessing nobody's allergic to water either.


Just Elphaba (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060987103/) (excellent reading, by the way)


Heh heh.  What a world, what a world.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: captainimpossibles on October 18, 2003, 10:38:47 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"


Weird ass thought of the day: Ray is supposed to be roughly normal cat size. Yet the chicken was in proportion to a human. Does the underground raise tiny chickens? Was it a cornish game hen (baby chicken)? Has the underground perfected Shrink Ray Technology*? It's not easy living inside my head.



Actually, there are chickens of that size available here. They're man-made, and about the size of your fist! You can just cut 'em up like regular chickens.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: side_show on October 18, 2003, 01:09:47 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
Maybe he could eat Mock Chicken (http://www.chowhound.com/boards/general3/messages/4475.html).

(No, it's not some wacky vegan thing. It's worse. WHAT IS GOING ON, CANADA?)

Oh and chicken/egg allergies are semi-common. The topic comes up a lot this time of year, because the flu vaccine is egg based or something.


I actually grew up on Mock Chicken as a kid here in Canada.  The sad truth is that it is one of those horrible processed meat products marketed to poor people who can't afford actual meats "pure" meats .  It's a hillbilly cousin to bologna.  I remember it fondly: the loaf was at the deli counter and was a square shape perfect for going between two slices of bread, the meat itself was a greyish-pinkish colour and it had a strange eatable orange outer "skin" that was exciting to me as a little girl, but looking back I'm rather disturbed.  I also had cow tounge sandwiches - seeing the tastebuds in my sandwich upset me even when I was little...just lots of stuff most people don't usually eat unless they have no other choice.

As for meat alergies - my mom is allergic to beef and I remember meeting someone allergic to turkey - but I can't seem to remembe if she was allergic to all poultry products.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: V-Adore on October 18, 2003, 08:02:12 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I also had cow tounge sandwiches - seeing the tastebuds in my sandwich upset me even when I was little...

My general policy is to not eat any food that can taste me while I'm tasting it.

This is reminding me of the time when I was a small kid and my mother and I ended up inadvertently ordering whole catgiraffe at a restaurant. It didn't drive me vegetarian, but I refuse to eat anything where the eyes stay on. Eesh.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2003, 10:51:42 pm
I don't know if cow tongue is one of those things you eat when you can't get something else. In the Delis you can always get it and it's usually not especially cheap. Yummy though. But yeah, the buds are kind of gross. I've voluntarily eaten it more than once.

We used to eat this thing called 'City Chicken' which some of you doubtless will recognize/remember as pork, skewered on a wooden stick, breaded and cooked (we always had it pan-fried). Why it's called 'City Chicken' I don't know. I always conjured up visions of roasted pigeon whenever I heard the phrase 'City Chicken'.

After a fine dinner of Mock Chicken, did you have Mock Apple Pie (http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/mockappl.html) (from the Ritz box) for dessert?
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: side_show on October 19, 2003, 11:23:32 am
http://www.psychologyhelp.com/alle62.htm

As for an actual factual chicken allergy, according to this it's possible and here refered to a "common."  Then again this site seems to invite one to blame all their problems in life on allergies, so I'm sort of not trusting of it.

In regard to the mock apple pie - this is very weird indeed.  I'd say it would be more likly that you have an apple kicking around than a lemon.  Then again if you live on only alcohol-related garnishes -as I'm sure a certain population of the people who buy Ritz crackers do- perhaps then you would only have a lemon.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 19, 2003, 06:31:01 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Rice is about the only thing that no one's allergic to.

Just FYI when dealing with a picky eater.


Apparently, although Rice allergies (http://www.food-allergens.de/symposium-vol1(4)/data/rice/rice-abstract.htm) are relatively rare in Europe and North America, in Asia they are relatively common - allergies to both the grain itself and the pollen from the rice plants. Something like 10% of people in Japan exhibit some level of rice allergy. Dogs also occasionally have rice sensitivity and many commercial dog foods contain rice. It's good stuff, especially for those with gluten sensitivity but it's not non-allergenic.
Title: Chicken allergies-Oct 17
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 20, 2003, 01:59:32 pm
All I know is that the subtle hint of horror on little nephew's face while Ray is on the phone with the doctor is PRICELESS.