The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: linnea on September 14, 2007, 06:25:01 am

Title: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: linnea on September 14, 2007, 06:25:01 am
My little dudes have been HELLA MEGA CLINGY and WHINY the past couple of days. I have to leave on Sunday to head to PHX and Tuscon to do some contract work in the field, and I think they can sense my palpable guilt. I doubt any TOUAMBies live there, but I thought I'd throw my travel plans out there. Also, somebody give these little rats some petties so they will get off me for five minutes so I can get some damn work done!
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: jay-ell on September 14, 2007, 04:21:37 pm
I've been wondering this about kids, too.  Mom says I always went a little batty just before something major changed in our family life, and I'm wondering if that's what's been up with little P lately -- the move, obviously, but also the upcoming baby brother. 
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: Golfhaus on September 14, 2007, 07:35:08 pm
I think our dogs know. We're about to take the girl to Grandma's because she's getting a bit red and puffy in the squiggly bits, and I'm totally against puppies at the moment. (Sidestep: I'm against puppies altogether, and would have had both of them fixed well before now, but Mrs. Haus is still holding out for me to give in to a litter) At any rate, the older one knows something is Going To Happen. The boy, he could be on fire and not realize it's hot.

They are both well aware of what suitcases mean, though. If the girl doesn't figure it out ahead of time, she (and he) both get whiny when those box things on wheels come out of the closet.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2007, 08:20:39 pm
my dog occaisionally figures out we're going someplace, and gets really excited that he is going to get to hang out with other dogs for a while. He goes to the door and whines until we let him out, then waits by the car.

this stopped happening when the lady who used to take care of him stopped. now he just gets kind of upset. That lady was basically like his grandma that spoils him.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: jaydub on September 14, 2007, 10:30:38 pm
My dog has learned that if she acts like a crazy spaz and digs her leash out of the drawer that she'll get a walk.  She also learned that this doesn't work at 11pm.  I think this qualifies her for doggy-Mensa.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: linnea on September 15, 2007, 06:04:50 am
Ooh, Petunia is a smart critter, jay.

My little dudes are stressed because my roommate's parents are staying here this weekend, and they brought their dog. She's relatively small, about knee-high, but she's a little spaz. She loves to hang out and sit outside my door, as if to say, "HAY LITTLE FREINDZ, I WANTS TO PLAY WITH YEW!!!" and the little boys are just freaking out and saying "Mommm!! There is an UNIDENTIFIED QUADRUPED outside our door and our little kittybrains can't handle it!!"

Sigh. I hope they can find other stuff to do and not think about how I've abandoned them for three whole days, and get used to the alien life form that has taken to snuffling under the door.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2007, 07:03:51 am
man, that is why I like dogs. They're just all "EYE WANTS TO BE YOUR FRIEND! SAY HI TO ME! I WANNA SNIFF YOUR BUTT!"

they don't need you to be polite or whatever. if you give them food and let them sniff your butt they will love you forever. HI MAN, YOUR BUTT SMELLS AWESOME! I AM GOING TO SHIT IN THE YARD, AND THEN SMELL IT LATER!
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 02:27:39 pm
Just drop 'em off at the gym on your way out of town. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peLD2vlxRM0)
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 15, 2007, 04:50:55 pm
Even my guinea pigs seem to be sensing that im leaving for the weekend. while normally docile in their igloo, today they are wrestling and chatting away. The animals know things... they know too much.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: linnea on September 15, 2007, 07:32:40 pm
Even my guinea pigs seem to be sensing that im leaving for the weekend. while normally docile in their igloo, today they are wrestling and chatting away. The animals know things... they know too much.

I still demand pictures of the fuzzy 'pigs in their Pigloo. C'mon, dude.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: linnea on September 19, 2007, 08:50:14 pm
I got home early from the trip. I really need to get some errands done, but Lenny is being a toasty-roast and has fallen asleep while sitting on my laaaap! It's mega-cute. Unfortunately I have one ankle resting on the other knee to provide him a greater lap surface area and my leg has fallen asleep. I am trying to gently lower my foot to the ground without waking him so that my circulation doesn't get all fucked. Lenny, you are spoiled. I love these dang little rats. They are so sweet and adorable. Toasty-roast is going to be Lenny's newest nickname.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: Lister on September 20, 2007, 05:14:41 am
Yesterday as my Mom was packing for a trip her cat got in the suitcase and stared at her on three separate occasions.  Today she (the cat) made my Dad pick her up, pet her, and put on music before she would eat her food.

She is training him well.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: CortJstr on September 20, 2007, 08:11:50 pm
Linnea, this sounds like it's right up your alley:

Because There's a Crazy Cat Lady in All of Us (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2007/09/because-theres-.html)
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: linnea on September 20, 2007, 09:43:32 pm
Linnea, this sounds like it's right up your alley:

Because There's a Crazy Cat Lady in All of Us (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2007/09/because-theres-.html)

But I only have two little dudes! I thought that Crazy Cat Lady status only extended to those with more than 5 cats!

Also, those videos are GREAT. I wish I had a video camera.
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: side_show on September 20, 2007, 10:37:30 pm
I always thought the mark of eccentricity was when you have more cats than people in a household.  I only fluked on to having more cats than people by moving in with someone who already had two cats when I had one.  Our 2 humans to three cats ratio is always a little much to me, especially when all three want to be petted at once... but really, two of any pet is better for their own well being.

What really bothers me is knowing they would probably eat me if we died at home and stopped feeding them.  Do you think they would?  I mean... they're cats... it's upsetting to think about.l
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: smick on September 20, 2007, 11:36:12 pm
But I only have two little dudes! I thought that Crazy Cat Lady status only extended to those with more than 5 cats!

uh, greater than or equal to, or just greater than?
Title: Re: Do cats know when you're about to travel?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 21, 2007, 12:50:57 am
Linnea, this sounds like it's right up your alley:

Because There's a Crazy Cat Lady in All of Us (http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2007/09/because-theres-.html)
Kittie Ortiz took the slow and steady route for the win.