The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Toaster on September 14, 2007, 03:02:06 pm

Title: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Toaster on September 14, 2007, 03:02:06 pm
http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2007/09/crazy-nut-was-out-on-scene.html (http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2007/09/crazy-nut-was-out-on-scene.html)

Things Beef said that I do not understand: "blotto dude", "birthday party face", "do up a box truck on the undersides", "make an acid glance at the trans-axle". I guess I do not get Beef's inexpensive business. Maybe blotto means fat, as Beef said the guy is fat. Maybe do up a box truck on the undersides means eat a lot of food, because the guy is stoned, or is he drunk? So maybe it means throw up. Make an acid glance at the trans-axle? That could either mean do some more drugs, or steal something. But all this is just conjecture. Pretty much all the blog stuff invloving humans sounds like it actually happened to Chris, doesn't it?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Ben-San on September 14, 2007, 03:05:19 pm
"blotto dude", "birthday party face" = the man is drunk.

"Do up a box truck on the undersides", "make an acid glance at the trans-axle" = the man will find himself interacting with the underside of a motor vehicle.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Toaster on September 14, 2007, 03:27:53 pm
Ah! Thanks for the clarification.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2007, 04:30:58 pm
damn, Beef, way to be down on some guy.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 14, 2007, 09:38:02 pm
I liked the re-delineation that this was a human doing the Smirnov shuffle and that Beef is a cat and that he had to call the human police on a human... because the cat police would have no jurisdiction over him and, anyway, would most likely serve to confuse him further.

Often in these stories, it is key to getting on with the funny and the weird to discard temporarily the whole "most humans do not know that stuffed animals and *****s and housecats have a parallel society" angle of these stories... it makes sense writing wise.

But I like that it is still definitely a part of the story because sometimes that complicates the stories in a good way.

Good to see they are not evolving past the premise, just putting it on the shelf when it isn't useful.

Superhero comics should do this more often, realize that everything doesn't have to make total sense, sane people get it, it's just a show, we should really just relax. Better stories would be told.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: V-Adore on September 15, 2007, 01:42:49 am
What I found myself wondering: are we supposed to accept this dude as really 350 pounds, or is that just illustrating how bad Beef is at guessing human weights?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 15, 2007, 03:19:07 am
Is 350 pounds such an unbelievable weight?

My father and both of his brothers have all been 350 or more at some point in their lives.

I would imagine Beef to have a quite accurate weight-gauge in his head as he wouldn't want to say something unless he was pretty sure of it because of Ramifications.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 04:25:49 am
Is 350 pounds such an unbelievable weight?


Since I'm within rock throwing distance of 300, no.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2007, 04:30:42 am
I mean, 50 or 60 lbs is a lot.

If I were up or down 50 or 60 pounds, it would be noticeable on a high level. Realize this.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 04:34:02 am
I mean, 50 or 60 lbs is a lot.

If I were up or down 50 or 60 pounds, it would be noticeable on a high level. Realize this.

Yeah, but what do you weigh now?  80?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2007, 04:50:19 am
5'11", 134-137. Somewhere in there.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 15, 2007, 04:50:27 am
Yeah, but what do you weigh now?  80?
Dont feel bad, inev, my girlfriend has the same circumference as my cat. Yes I measured.
If my cat wore skirts, they could share skirts.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 04:52:14 am
5'11", 134-137. Somewhere in there.

Hey, I'm over twice your weight!

But it's cool, 'cause I'm three inches taller.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2007, 05:02:41 am
Quote
Dont feel bad, inev, my girlfriend has the same circumference as my cat. Yes I measured.
If my cat wore skirts, they could share skirts.

But, see, it is considered Positive if a girl is small. That is the difference.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 05:14:44 am
But, see, it is considered Positive if a girl is small. That is the difference.

I (and my physician) would consider it hell of positive if I was considerably smaller.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: linnea on September 15, 2007, 05:29:26 am
I (and my physician) would consider it hell of positive if I was considerably smaller.

Didn't you mention at one point that Mrs. West got the lap-band surgery? One of my acquaintances here in Colorado got that done, and she lost about 85 pounds. She was about 5'2" and weighed around 240. It costs a lot ($8,000 +) but it sounds like it could be very worthwhile.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2007, 05:34:29 am
It's been a very positive experience for the Mrs.  She's lost about 70 lbs to date and I don't think she's done.

She had to jump through hell of hoops to get the insurance company to pay for it.  Based on her experience, I'm not close to big enough to get it approved.  Also, I'm not psychologically in the right place to do it.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: linnea on September 15, 2007, 06:00:27 am
It's been a very positive experience for the Mrs.  She's lost about 70 lbs to date and I don't think she's done.

She had to jump through hell of hoops to get the insurance company to pay for it.  Based on her experience, I'm not close to big enough to get it approved.  Also, I'm not psychologically in the right place to do it.

Oh. The girl I knew just paid cash to have it done, since her insurer wouldn't cover it.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 15, 2007, 01:59:47 pm
I just realized, the real joke here is that Phillipe will end up being the next Nice Pete.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Golfhaus on September 16, 2007, 01:34:39 am
5'11", 134-137. Somewhere in there.

5'9", 212 at my last doctor's visit. Bad enough, but the cholesterol level of 236 is what really has the doctor worried. Gonna start going to the gym tomorrow, I think. Me and an elliptical machine have a date.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: linnea on September 16, 2007, 02:20:37 am
5'9", 212 at my last doctor's visit. Bad enough, but the cholesterol level of 236 is what really has the doctor worried. Gonna start going to the gym tomorrow, I think. Me and an elliptical machine have a date.

I would be so fuck*ng thrilled to have an extra room in my house with a decent elliptical machine. It would be so great. Having a full-on home gym with treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and stairmill would be ideal. Damn.

Once I get a car, however, I am getting a membership to a gym...shyness and self-consciousness be damned. It's something I've just gotta get over.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 16, 2007, 02:27:54 am
I used to run four miles a day before college at a local gym, and I found that fine.  Now, in college, with the free college gym, I hate going unless it is to play basketball or raquetball.  Something about the fact that it is just for college students bugs me.  Also, considering this is my fifth year, I am hell of out of shape.  Real shame too, I am the type of person who HAS to work out or I gain weight like no other.  I have gained at least 50 lbs in the last four-ish years, and, really, I live life (drinking/eating) the same as before college.

I might try to get a cheap membership at a Y or something.  It doesn't bug me if friends or strangers are around when I am working out, but people from classes or parties or bars or friends friends, I don't know, it is uncomfortable.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: jaydub on September 16, 2007, 03:23:41 am
I would be so fuck*ng thrilled to have an extra room in my house with a decent elliptical machine. It would be so great. Having a full-on home gym with treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, and stairmill would be ideal. Damn.

Once I get a car, however, I am getting a membership to a gym...shyness and self-consciousness be damned. It's something I've just gotta get over.

Yeah, home gyms are rarely worth it.  They become clothes racks on installment payments.  Right now we have a treadmill (a really nice one) semi-buried in the garage, serving as a storage platform for Christmas decorations.  We got the thing only over my most strenuous objections.  For the sake of domestic harmony, I do not bring the topic up at home.  Personally, I have accepted that I am motivated by the attention of others.  I am far more likely to stick to a program if there are people who miss me when I don't show up, and could ask me what I've been up to for the past few weeks.  Shallow of me, perhaps, but it works.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Golfhaus on September 16, 2007, 01:13:34 pm
I might try to get a cheap membership at a Y or something.  It doesn't bug me if friends or strangers are around when I am working out, but people from classes or parties or bars or friends friends, I don't know, it is uncomfortable.

I was always under the impression that the Y was a cheap gym to join. Not the case here. Of the five or six gyms we looked at, the Y was by far the most expensive (~ 60 bucks a month!) of the batch.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2007, 03:32:16 pm
Gyms are, on the whole, expensive.  Even the county rec center here costs a good bit.  It's a commitment.

I may have already sung the praises of Freecycle.  If you get on your local list, you may catch someone giving away a treadmill or other piece of exercise equiment that's become a laundry rack.  Free = good.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Dexter on September 17, 2007, 02:24:37 pm
Dont feel bad, inev, my girlfriend has the same circumference as my cat. Yes I measured.
If my cat wore skirts, they could share skirts.
I'm left wondering: is your cat really, really fat, or is your girlfriend really, really skinny?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 17, 2007, 05:03:58 pm
I'm left wondering: is your cat really, really fat, or is your girlfriend really, really skinny?
Yes.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Dexter on September 17, 2007, 05:04:27 pm
Yes.
Oh.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Drygioni on September 26, 2007, 03:35:27 pm
The fact that Phillipe so cuttingly remarked 'Mr Bear is gay!' cracked me up. I've heard my 8 year old brother call anything he dislikes 'gay' a million times.

(He stopped after I sat down and talked to him about the fact that 'gay' is not an insult, and giving the myriad reasons why. He's pretty open minded for his age)
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: lprkn on September 26, 2007, 03:52:55 pm
I liked the Stupanada insult. I must try to work that into conversation.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 26, 2007, 04:04:00 pm
damn, dude, you associate "That's Gay!" with your 8 year old brother. I associate it with... my entire graduating class except my close friends. Also, some people here, as enlightened as they pretend to be.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: lprkn on September 26, 2007, 04:09:50 pm
When I was in jr. high(97-98ish), it became a Thing to refer to stuff as "Jewish" rather than "gay." I'm not sure how it got started, but since we didn't have any Jewish kids at my school, it continued for awhile. Doesn't really say a whole lot about us, other than that we were stupid, which kids are pretty much supposed to be.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Drastic Action on September 26, 2007, 04:45:20 pm
I prefer to call stupid things communist.  Something I got from my friend.  At least it's a little less touchy.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2007, 04:50:28 pm
I prefer to call stupid things communist.  Something I got from my friend.  At least it's a little less touchy.

My friends tend to use "republican" as the all-purpose indicator of scorn/egregiousness.

In high school "texan" was pretty popular, too.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 26, 2007, 04:51:08 pm
Quote from: lprkn
it became a Thing to refer to stuff as "Jewish" rather than "gay."

Interestingly, Marvel Comics finally admitted that The Thing is Jewish.

Was lapsed but recently finally got Bar Mitzied.

Which makes sense, considering he once shared a show with the Flintstones and hence was clearly born before Jesus.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: lprkn on September 26, 2007, 05:16:15 pm
The Thing is Jewish, huh? What will the Yancy street gang have to say about that?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: jay-ell on September 26, 2007, 05:59:39 pm
When I was in jr. high(97-98ish), it became a Thing to refer to stuff as "Jewish" rather than "gay." I'm not sure how it got started, but since we didn't have any Jewish kids at my school, it continued for awhile. Doesn't really say a whole lot about us, other than that we were stupid, which kids are pretty much supposed to be.

I had a friend who did this in high school (around the same time period, maybe a little before). 

We shunned him until he stopped.  I guess that's the difference between twelve and seventeen. 
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: jaydub on September 26, 2007, 08:32:29 pm
Likewise, a member of my circle of friends in H.S. started using a phrase such as "that teacher totally jewed me out of that grade".  Ostracism was finally effective after about 4 months.  He'd swear not to do it, lapse, get uninvited to a party, tell us we're all dicks, ask to hang out after a few weeks.  Rinse repeat.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 26, 2007, 08:55:45 pm
Likewise, a member of my circle of friends in H.S. started using a phrase such as "that teacher totally jewed me out of that grade".  Ostracism was finally effective after about 4 months.  He'd swear not to do it, lapse, get uninvited to a party, tell us we're all dicks, ask to hang out after a few weeks.  Rinse repeat.
As long as were being anti-semetic, i have a story:
Friend to professor Schwartz: "you totally jewed me out of those points"
Professor Schwartz: "Oh Jamie....ehh... you can't say things like that, I mean, in business...ehhh...Thats not a thing to say"
Friend: "ok... You totally Schwartzed me out of those points"
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: linnea on September 26, 2007, 10:02:45 pm
In Alaska I was at a Halo party and one of the douches there said, "You totally Jewed me outta that!"

I yelled at him. Quite a lot. He was rather surprised, and got really embarrassed and apologized profusely.

After that, I was lending my Ween album to his sister, who was closer to my age. It has a song called "Reggaejunkiejew (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Guava)", and Steph was like, "Somebody nice, don't you find this offensive??"

"Uh, no, what?"

"I thought you were Jewish?" (pointing to "Reggaejunkiejew" track listing)

"No, Dean & Gene aren't racist or anti-Semetic, it's just a song...also, I'm not Jewish, I just get pissed at people who are racist."

My sister is a teacher, and she has laid down the law in her classroom that kids aren't allowed to say, "That's so GAY!" or Jewish or anything like that.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: oball on September 27, 2007, 03:25:16 am
Where do you stand on niggerfaggot (http://youtube.com/watch?v=G2nTbqbtGug)?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 30, 2007, 05:17:13 am
Ween is pretty anti-pc.  Your interpretation may differ, but you know, I just mainly think they are boring and immature.


"haha we can't deall with issues so we will try to be graphic and racist.  People will interpret this as proving a point."
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2007, 05:54:15 am
yeah, um, they are a horrible band.

the whole "anti-PC" thing makes me want to cap someone.

I got in a big argument the other day with my friend, though, over whether there are some things that I am just "not allowed to joke about" as a white male. I feel like... I am allowed to joke about whatever the fuck I want. She is allowed to get mad at me, but, joking about things is a valid form of discourse. she said that this is, obviously, my opinion only because I am and have always been in a position of power in our society. This is... probably valid? but it set off some major pissed-off reactions.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 30, 2007, 06:29:25 am
You can joke about whatever you want, in my opinion, just don't try to sell it to me on top of average music that is almost kind of supposed to say something.

Obviously, what you joke about may be interpreted by people to make certain generalizations about you, though.  So, you know, whatever you are comfortable with.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: Golfhaus on September 30, 2007, 02:03:40 pm
I got in a big argument the other day with my friend, though, over whether there are some things that I am just "not allowed to joke about" as a white male. I feel like... I am allowed to joke about whatever the fuck I want. She is allowed to get mad at me, but, joking about things is a valid form of discourse. she said that this is, obviously, my opinion only because I am and have always been in a position of power in our society. This is... probably valid? but it set off some major pissed-off reactions.

Yeah, that pisses me off too - that for a while there it was starting to look like the only people it was okay to make fun of and crack jokes about would be white, middle class males. Then people like Dave Chappelle came around, and it became okay to make fun of black people again, but only if you were black. As a member of Whitey, I'm still only allowed to make fun of my own kind. Everything else is racism, sexism, etc.

Fuck that shit.
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2007, 06:44:36 pm
I mean, to clarify, I am not saying that I want to make racist jokes or anything. Just vaguely sexist ones sometimes?
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: oball on October 01, 2007, 02:42:44 am
Q.  How many women does it take to change a lightbulb?


A.  Such a manly task is unfit for a female.  Surely to even attempt it would cause her to suffer an attack of the vapors!
Title: Re: Blogs of 09-07
Post by: lprkn on October 01, 2007, 08:10:00 am
Oh, that is truly the limit!