The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on September 22, 2007, 04:17:29 pm
-
This thread has a twofold purpose. First, I am wondering what people do for Halloween?
I am probably going to take Little P trick or treating and then go to a party at my sister-in-law's.
Second, who has costume ideas?
Little P is probably going to go as Mario -- the hottest costume of 1983!!! Pedro is thinking of making a Power-Up and going as Powered-Up Mario (same costume, bigger size). Or possibly Luigi. Or perhaps something completely unrelated. I, on the other hand, have the best Halloween costume idea *evar.* See if you can guess who?
I am going to dress as myself and pretend not to know anyone. I will occasionally go into a corner and talk animatedly to an invisible person. I will attempt to set right what once went wrong.
Okay, that last one was a giveaway.
What about you guys?
-
Did you ever do the costume where you were a prisoner and your belly was painted black and attached to your ankle by a chain? Because that sounded neat.
-
Nah, we didn't do anything for Halloween last time I was pregnant. And actually it was that Pedro was the prisoner and pregnant belly and I were the ball and chain, but honestly I like your version better.
-
jl-- oh man, that is awesome. that is AWESOME.
some friends of mine are participating in "Act like a Time Traveler" day, which seems similar. But, you're being... the guy from Quantum Leap? Wikipedia tells me his name is Sam Beckett.
-
Dammit, JL, that costume is so good I want to steal it. Also, Pedro and Little P as Mario and Powered-Up Mario sounds absolutely adorable.
I have no costume ideas of my own, but I haven't really done Halloween in a big way since about sixth grade, when I stole my father's old silver vinyl jogging suit and went as a nuclear-power-plant worker. My last actual costume was three years ago, when I went as The Tiny Goat from the Gothic Archies song of the same name. ("Suicide is not an option for me!") That Halloween kinda sucked, since we missed the memo about our town having a Halloween curfew and went out after it, only to find a darkened street and confused homeowners.
-
One year, I put on a flannel and a baseball cap with the name of a computer company, a fake gray beard... some talc to whiten my skin to a ghostly sheen... and chains of paperclips with Jar-Jar toys hanging off of it.
Many people were amused by The Ghost of George Lucas's Integrity.
-
V, you can steal the Sam Beckett costume. I am so in love with the idea that I want as many people as possible to use it.
If you have an accomplice, particularly a short, cigar-smoking Italian one, you can have an Al, too. All he has to do is tell you who people are and act like nobody else can see him, and possibly discuss the merits of other partygoers' gazongas. Bonus points if he can actually walk through furniture. Oh, Admiral Calavicci, when will you learn?
Yes, I own the complete series on DVD. And the theme song is my cell phone ringtone. I *heart* Scott Bakula. *swoon*
-
You could add two-dollar plastic vampire fangs to your Sam Beckett costume and go as "Count Bakula".
I... I am just saying.
It is an idea.
-
I am debating being The Freshman for halloween.
the costume would consist of:
High School "Seniors 06" T-shirt
School ID and room key on lanyard
possibly something else clever I haven't thought of yet. maybe I would be carrying a map?
last year I didn't see anyone dressed up. Except my friend in my Arabic class, who dressed up in a banana suit.
-
I am the king of the lazy costume, though.
"The Unabomber" is the second-easiest costume ever.
The first was when I put on khaki ##### and a beige shirt and claimed to be "a sand dune".
-
I'm not really sure how to act like I am attempting to set right what once went wrong, but now I want to do that.
All I know is, I do hope each time that my next Leap will be the Leap home.
-
I am debating being The Freshman for halloween.
the costume would consist of:
High School "Seniors 06" T-shirt
School ID and room key on lanyard
possibly something else clever I haven't thought of yet. maybe I would be carrying a map?
last year I didn't see anyone dressed up. Except my friend in my Arabic class, who dressed up in a banana suit.
Probably the defining characteristic at my school was the lack of duck boots. In the mailing for what to bring to school it recommends them saying, "no, really. Everybody has a pair." But all of the first-years think it's crazy because they're so ugly and don't actually buy any. Until fall reading days when they all realized, holy crap I really do need some, and yes, everybody does have a pair but me.
-
Carry around a can/bottle/box of whatever it is the frosh drink on your campus. (At Williams, the favorite was Steel Reserve High-Gravity Lager, which always sounded like a beer for asteroid miners.)
-
the frosh drink here is "whatever they have at the frats" or "whatever some kid will buy us." Maybe Natty Light or Keystone?
we have/had a kid who is 22 on our floor, and so we have a wide variety of beverages.
-
I'm not really sure how to act like I am attempting to set right what once went wrong, but now I want to do that.
Keep everyone from eating the crab dip.
"I can't explain it, Daniel, but...you just have to trust me. I know it must sound...crazy...but...that crab dip...it will ruin your life. Don't ask me how I know...I just...know."
-
Keep everyone from eating the crab dip.
"I can't explain it, Daniel, but...you just have to trust me. I know it must sound...crazy...but...that crab dip...it will ruin your life. Don't ask me how I know...I just...know."
Good idea, but pick something really tasty and expensive, then eat it all yourself.
-
Daniel... daniel... you're eating all of the nachos. You just ate... half the bowl. Why are you getting more?
I HAVE TO EAT THEM! YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!
-
You'll have to start the Sam costume a few moments AFTER you arrive at the party.
"Oh hey JL! Good to see you!"
"Hi! Yea, here I brought you some ... Oh boy."
-
Last year I tied an electrical cord around my ##### and wore a shirt with holes in it and was a bum.
The year before that I wore my trusty Liverpool kit and went as a football fan.
The first time I ever did mushrooms was on halloween. I recommend doing those in a haunted house, for those who are able. Now a'days I just get drunk, although I guess the whole pregnancy thing kills all of my ideas.
-
I am not sure what to be for Halloween. A couple years ago I made a Bishop costume. I made the miter out of posterboard and cut out felt Chi/Ro Greek letters to paste to it. I made a shepherd's crook out of these weird little plumbing widgets I got at the hardware store, and made a robe out of a sheet with a felt cross glued to it. Everyone was really impressed, the costume looked a lot nicer than the sum of its parts. I'm also really anal-retentive, and it took me about 3 hours to cut and assemble the whole thing.
-
Lizzie wants to be Dora the Explorer for Halloween. You have no idea how much I want to say "Dammit, do NOT be frickin' Dora, have some originality." But I don't want to crush my little girl's spirit.
-
Speaking as kid who did the most batshit insane costumes I could come up with for most of school (I am fairly certain I was the only 9-year-old girl ever to be Groo the Wanderer for Halloween): originality is overrated. Creative costumes will just get a lot of "who are you" ... ohh."
-
Oh, man.
If there was a girl in my town who'd be Groo for Halloween...
I'd'a had a steady girlfriend in high school, haha.
-
Oh, man.
If there was a girl in my town who'd be Groo for Halloween...
I'd give her a tiny can.
-
I am fairly certain I was the only 9-year-old girl ever to be Groo the Wanderer for Halloween)
I... V, have my retarded baby.
-
Dammit, with a response like that, maybe I should redo the Groo costume for this year/the next time I get invited to a Halloween party with nerds. It'd be some sweet, sweet vindication.
-
Be prepared for marriage proposals from nerds.
Be prepared for your father to be offered great dowries of low-numbered Star Trek toys.
Be prepared for this. It is important.
-
You'll have to start the Sam costume a few moments AFTER you arrive at the party.
"Oh hey JL! Good to see you!"
"Hi! Yea, here I brought you some ... Oh boy."
Yeah, ideally, the leap occurs as the front door opens. Preferably to someone in a bizarre costume, so I can react accordingly. I just don't know if I'm a good enough actor to pull this off with a straight face. Also, I don't have six Ph.D.s, nor do I play piano.
Pedro could do it, easy, but he's decided to be a "hostage," whatever that means. (I'm trying to convince him to wear a sweater with holes across the chest that spell "courage mom" in morse code. I am the queen of jokes nobody gets.)
-
Yeah, ideally, the leap occurs as the front door opens. Preferably to someone in a bizarre costume, so I can react accordingly. I just don't know if I'm a good enough actor to pull this off with a straight face. Also, I don't have six Ph.D.s, nor do I play piano.
Pedro could do it, easy, but he's decided to be a "hostage," whatever that means. (I'm trying to convince him to wear a sweater with holes across the chest that spell "courage mom" in morse code. I am the queen of jokes nobody gets.)
Wag the Dog, right?
-
Yeah, ideally, the leap occurs as the front door opens. Preferably to someone in a bizarre costume, so I can react accordingly. I just don't know if I'm a good enough actor to pull this off with a straight face. Also, I don't have six Ph.D.s, nor do I play piano.
Pedro could do it, easy, but he's decided to be a "hostage," whatever that means. (I'm trying to convince him to wear a sweater with holes across the chest that spell "courage mom" in morse code. I am the queen of jokes nobody gets.)
cann'd for excellent choice in movies.
-
...apparently I'm the queen of jokes people only understand on the internet?
We should have a halloween party of our own. Then we wouldn't have to explain our costumes to each other.
-
Lizzie wants to be Dora the Explorer for Halloween. You have no idea how much I want to say "Dammit, do NOT be frickin' Dora, have some originality." But I don't want to crush my little girl's spirit.
Carlos - there's a couple Dora Halloween movies out there where she dresses up as a black cat.. and something else... Maybe show them to her and sell her on the idea of going as Dora as _____. Even better talk about how Dora would celebrate El Día de los Muertos instead of Halloween. From there, it's just a hop-skip-jump to her being a tiny skull-headed flamenco dancer.
-
Okay, after careful consideration, I've decided to shelve Sam Beckett this year. We're going to a party at Pedro's sister's and...to put it bluntly, she's one of the cool kids. Nobody would get it, and it's only funny if you don't have to explain it.
So instead, I'm going as...
an expectant mummy.
-
I'm thinking of going as the Dread Pirate Roberts. Because it seems pretty easy to do and I'm lazy and unskilled.
-
He doesn't Talk Like a Pirate though! I guess thats in keeping with minimal effort.
-
He doesn't Talk Like a Pirate though! I guess thats in keeping with minimal effort.
Yeah, but all day people are going to keep asking me to roll down hills yelling "as you wish." Plus, I have to pretend to be left-handed for like 15% of the day.
-
Man, I am enjoying my status as eccentric shut in these days, but if not I got invited to the Rainbow Harmony Coalition (aka the gay choir) Halloween party that would be hella fun.
-
Low effort Halloween Costume: Thomas Pynchon. All you need is a nice suit, crazy cowlick, buck teeth, and a fear of the media. If somebody tries to take your picture, scream and throw Gravity's Rainbow at them. Fun for everyone of all ages!
-
my friend Iain is going as Dwight.
I... I cannot explain how perfect this is without videos of Iain talking, videos of Iain moving, a list of Iain quotes...
I love the kid, but he is pretty Schrutey.
-
Low effort Halloween Costume: Thomas Pynchon. All you need is a nice suit, crazy cowlick, buck teeth, and a fear of the media. If somebody tries to take your picture, scream and throw Gravity's Rainbow at them. Fun for everyone of all ages!
Huh. I thought he always wore a paper bag with a question mark on it. I guess I watch too much tv.
-
This year I selected a Webcomic costume, which guarantees that no one is going to know who I am:
Doctor McNinja (http://raindog.net/ljimages/drisin.jpg)
Materials:
1 Doctor Costume
1 T-Shirt
-
I think I am going as a box. Not a sexual thing, just a box.
-
Pedro is going to be a lazy man's zombie (torn shirt, green face paint) for the grownups-only Halloween party at his sister's house tomorrow, and Luigi (to Little P's Mario) when we take the Boy trick-or-treating on Wednesday.
I'm doing the expectant mummy both times.
-
Lizzie del Vaca: a plastic cup with a straw. (http://www.bigfool.com/elizabeth/watercup.jpg) Mrs. del Vaca made this. She is so awesome.
Catie del Vaca: punkin (http://www.bigfool.com/catherine/punkin.jpg). This one is store-bought.
-
The cup and straw looks better than the store-bought costume! How cute!
When I was a kid, my mom *always* made my costumes. I actually felt a little sorry for my classmates who came to school in Kmart Rainbow Brite costumes. In retrospect, I think this makes me a Halloweelitist.
I was never, in my recollection, a character from a TV show or anything. I always wanted to be something nobody else would be. As a result, a lot of years I just dressed up weird and tried to give a different answer every time someone asked me what I was.
Also, I wasn't allowed to be a witch, for Religious reasons. So every year for about eight years, when Mom asked what I wanted to be for Halloween, the first thing I would say was, "A witch." And she'd say No, and then we'd go through the Costume Closet until something struck one of us.
One year I wore my tap dancing costume and painted my face white and was a dead fairy.
But witches, man. They were out.
-
I saw a guy last night with baby chickens pinned all over his body. He was a Chick Magnet.
After riding the Metro home at 1am I also have an open letter to girls who dress up as a Sexy * to go out to bars on Halloween: If you are going to be a Sexy Bee you damn sure better have the body of of a comic book superhero. Because skin-tight horizontal stripes are nobody's friend. If you have even a hint of a pouch this is not the costume for you. Maybe go for a nice Sexy Cop, Sexy Librarian, or Sexy Supreme Court Justice next year.
-
Yeah, that cup is great - I love how Dora was worked in without it being a Dora costume. I was a Slush Puppy one year with a a very similar costume one year.
What about sexy____ for Halloween? Especially sexy _____ when _____ has nothing to do with Halloween. I've never gotten that. Halloween is about death and fear, not... boobs. Sexy + Halloween = Elvira = not sexy. That is how it works to me. I was once a sexy olden days lady with a corset and velvet and such for Halloween. A couple guys took strong interest, but totally lost interest when I saw them again a little while later as I was not wearing a corset and velvet due to it no longer being Halloween. Sorry guy's I'm not a hooker from the 1800's most days.
-
Sorry guy's I'm not a hooker from the 1800's most days.
Is...is there some kind of set schedule for when you are? And maybe a webcam or something?
-
several of my friends simultaneously had the idea to be various Primates for Halloween. So like 3 girls came out with big "stunner shades" on and said "I'm a tarsier!"
one guy dressed up as "a flasher" and had a foot-long fake dick. he is the master of dressing up creepy-as-fuck.
I asked him "why would you dress up as a guy with a small dick?" with a confused look on my face, but he didn't think it was funny.
One guy, of course, said "what? but... that's big! right? I mean... do you... OH! hahaha!"
-
PICTURES (http://picasaweb.google.com/jldunston/Halloween2007/photo#5127643776016188578)
Make sure to check out the whole album. I have the cutest boys!
-
YOUR FAMILY IS ADORABLE.
the little guy is a cutie.
-
Best father-son costume coordination ever?
-
Best father-son costume coordination ever?
Hells yes from this girl.
Also, I'm ashamed to say that I JUST NOW got the "Pregnant Mummy" joke. Heh. Great costume. I did not dress up this year.
-
Damn, Luigi looks ready to kick some Koopa ass.
For halloween I was a guy watching Deathproof at a drive-in with some friends.
Then I was a guy sitting kind of akwardly in the back of the car on the way home because my buddy and his girlfriend were having a fight in the front.
-
This is better than being the guy awkwardly driving because your buddy and his girlfriend are getting it on in the backseat. People! Have some dignity!