The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on October 05, 2007, 04:42:16 pm

Title: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: AugustWest on October 05, 2007, 04:42:16 pm
What's with that Thunk Thunk! anyway? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10052007)

Also, where the hell is everybody?
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2007, 04:47:30 pm
For whatever reason, Fridays seem to usually be quiet.
The last two panels of this strip are unfathomable to me.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Bimmicus on October 05, 2007, 04:49:26 pm
I feel bad for anyone who just started reading Achewood this week.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: jough on October 05, 2007, 04:56:09 pm
Sorry, there was an issue with the forum of which I was unaware.

I posted a fix link in the Mod forum.

Yeah, this strip isn't making my transition into the weekend pleasant.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: CortJstr on October 05, 2007, 05:00:09 pm
Is he asking for Todd's menu? Is it code? Leg-men, does it mean something special to you?
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 05, 2007, 05:06:21 pm
yea hes definitely asking for Todds menu, but the dude is tweaking too hard to notice.
Maybe its just the people I know, but getting high on meth is known as tweaking, getting high on coke is known as geeking as in "I was so geeked out last night".
Also, I wish I could make people feel like a rock star by taking them to a mexican restaurant.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2007, 05:11:52 pm
What happened to the two menus he brought with him?
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 05, 2007, 05:15:18 pm
What happened to the two menus he brought with him?
Can for john on this one, nice call. theyre looking at menus then the waiter arrives with 2 more menus and yet only one menu is in the last 2 panels.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 05, 2007, 05:24:30 pm
I figured THUNK THUNK was some sort of code, but now I do think he's asking for the menu, and now Todd is going to freak out and rip Jai in the Sky's face off.

Double chipotle guacamayo!
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2007, 05:25:20 pm
I'm proofreading reports this morning - its carrying over into my loafing.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: wombat on October 05, 2007, 05:45:58 pm
I'm bewildered. But I have faith that all will eventually become clear. I think.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: linnea on October 05, 2007, 06:16:03 pm
Dammit, I tried to make this thread last night when the comic posted, but alas. Board was down. I'm really glad it's back, though. Thanks, joughytrousers.

I think Jai's just tapping to say, "Okay, dude, be a dick. Whatevs. Enjoy your stay in Vegas, guys."
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Enkidu on October 05, 2007, 07:15:19 pm
Yeah, I see the *thunk thunk smile* as just an expression of the waiter's unquenchable enthusiasm for his job.  Its his departing manuever, like snapping his finger and pointing at someone .  He's punctuating his departure.  He is a douche.

I laughed at this comic.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: colmore on October 05, 2007, 07:29:29 pm
Maybe I have a really strange and specific sense of humor, but I haven't laughed this hard at anything in weeks.

The earring.... "Heyo".... the synchronism with the alt-text... the last three panels which made me realize something I've always unconsciously loved about achewood:

Various cartooning traditions: pre-war newspaper strips, modern american cartooning, japanese cartooning, romance comics, adventure / superhero books, all have fairly standard ways of rendering facial expressions to register certain emotions.  Onstad's characters have a set of facial expressions all their own that are sometimes impossible to read precisely... which makes them slightly alien and off-putting.

It's hilarious in the same way that the really uncomfortable scenes in Lynch movies are hilarious.  Your brain makes about 40% of the connection between what is depicted and what is "supposed" to be going on, so it isn't "just random," but the rest of your skull just stands there like a confused child waiting for someone to come along and explain things.  But it's like the Kaufman bit where the vertical hold just goes off on his TV show... it's just well aimed confusion at precisely the right time to create maximum anticipation and discomfort; it might not "mean" anything more than to not always expect the familiar from a familiar medium.

To me at least, that sort of crap is hilarious.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: nDed on October 05, 2007, 07:33:05 pm
Oh, the forum's fixed. Now I can get back to not contributing very much at all.

Man, I guess having a huge torso is a prerequisite for employment at Fiesta Max!. The earrings also seem to be part of the uniform, for some reason, but the Mirror Universe goatee is apparently optional.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: melack on October 05, 2007, 09:15:32 pm
Okay, so I read the last few panels and assumed the waiter knocked the menus against the table, as a sort of nervous tic, only to discover a little bit of white residue (what could that be!) fall out of Todd's menu. But then again, I see cocaine everywhere.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: jaydub on October 05, 2007, 09:32:43 pm
'cept I'm pretty sure the menu in question was the one Ray was holding in the previous panel.  Maybe it'll be clearer on Monday.  Unless we're diverted to Teodor trying to find the shortest path between golf clubs and merkins on Google searches.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: melack on October 05, 2007, 10:21:05 pm
Like I said, I see coke everywhere. Mmm, delicious!
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: dejavroom on October 05, 2007, 10:38:02 pm
Unless we're diverted to Teodor trying to find the shortest path between golf clubs and merkins on Google searches.

You know, this reminds me that if Teódor googled for Meg White's naked pics *now*, he'd be actually quite pleasantly surprised...
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: Doc on October 06, 2007, 02:52:29 am
I think the last too panels are just Todd really over-focussing due to cocaine.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 06, 2007, 03:23:00 am
You know, this reminds me that if Teódor googled for Meg White's naked pics *now*, he'd be actually quite pleasantly surprised...

Not her, dude.

Also, something is happening. Something is about to happen. There's not too much to interpret so far.
Title: Re: Thunk Thunk -- October 05, 2007
Post by: oball on October 06, 2007, 04:46:07 am
On Monday it will zoom out to show that Todd has shanked Jai in the guts.