The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Lister on October 08, 2007, 05:52:43 am

Title: Genius
Post by: Lister on October 08, 2007, 05:52:43 am
Look at the genius! (http://www.chefsresource.com/bakers-edge-brownie-pan.html)
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 05:57:16 am
Everyone loves edges... so lets make it ALL edges!

Oh man.

Ideas like this are one of the few ways in which America is definitely still the best.

We still do arbitrary decadence better than everyone else.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2007, 06:07:58 am
but... the edges are not as good.

the middle is soft. why would you not want the soft part.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 08, 2007, 06:21:52 am
Yeah, show me the no edges brownies please.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: smick on October 08, 2007, 06:31:29 am
You want the infinite pan, KH.  Science hasn't made a webpage that can sell that pan...yet.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2007, 06:46:58 am
here's the real question:

if you just poured the brownie mix on a big ol' baking sheet... (big enough that it could spread out until... it stopped)
would that mean there was no edge, or that everything was the edge?
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 08, 2007, 07:43:54 am
I think it would get so thin that everything would be the edge.  Anyhow, it wouldn't be thick enough.

Unless your philosophizing.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: AugustWest on October 08, 2007, 01:54:59 pm
I hell of would buy this, but I'm afraid AB would be disappointed in me for using a uni-tasker.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: CortJstr on October 08, 2007, 02:02:50 pm
I do like dry corners on brownies and casseroles. That is assuming the rest of it is tasty and moist and the edges are just dry not full-on burned and crunchy.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: jay-ell on October 08, 2007, 02:06:01 pm
Yeah, I saw this in Real Simple last month and went, "huh?" 

I am a Middles Girl, all the way. 
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 08, 2007, 02:46:48 pm
I hell of would buy this, but I'm afraid AB would be disappointed in me for using a uni-tasker.

You obviously didn't read the product description - it's useful for breads or even lasagna!  If AB can multitask a coffee grinder simply by saying he also uses it to grind spices, you'd be home free if you baked up one other non-brownie foodstuff in that mother.

God knows why you'd want your bread to be super-crusty though.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: linnea on October 08, 2007, 03:05:33 pm
Man, boo to that. I will leave the crust pieces for y'all to enjoy, leaving the tasty middle piece for me. I usually bake brownies in a 9"x9" pan, which yields nine brownies. All of them are crust pieces except the middle one.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2007, 03:34:08 pm
The trick is for edges people to marry middles people. Don't make the mistake we made. Although I guess with the invention of this pan, we can solve our problem through technology!  Awesome.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: jay-ell on October 08, 2007, 04:43:02 pm
Man, boo to that. I will leave the crust pieces for y'all to enjoy, leaving the tasty middle piece for me. I usually bake brownies in a 9"x9" pan, which yields nine brownies. All of them are crust pieces except the middle one.


I use a 9x9 also, but you can get more middles if you cut the brownies creatively.  Triangles work well, as do "brownie bars" (long rectangles instead of squares).  At least, with the brownie bars, there is only a little edge on each piece. 
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: linnea on October 08, 2007, 05:51:07 pm
The trick is for edges people to marry middles people. Don't make the mistake we made. Although I guess with the invention of this pan, we can solve our problem through technology!  Awesome.

Do the middle bars on the Genius Pan really get as hot as the exterior, and produce an equally satisfyingly crisp crust? That is the question that is on my mind. Someone who loves crispy brownies needs to bake 2 identical batches of brownies in the Name of Science: One in the weird pan, and one control batch in a regular 9"x9" pan.

Then, scientifically and objectively evaluate the crunchy brownies that result. Then report back to us if the Genius Pan produces an acceptable result. Crust fanatics of the world are counting on you! 
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 08, 2007, 09:28:45 pm
This pan makes brownies in a shape eerily similar to Michigan's M logo.

I will not be eating any brownies from this pan.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: le_chien_manquee on October 08, 2007, 10:05:05 pm
would this affect how stoned the brownies get you?  i fear that more herb goodness would be incinerated, thus getting you less stoned.

a horrific innovation.  clearly invented by the cia.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 08, 2007, 10:08:32 pm
If you built your weed butter correctly, this should not be a problem, I'd think.

The fat-soluable goodness would already be transferred into the food, even if you burned it a little.

Right? I'm no scientician here.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: melack on October 08, 2007, 11:41:36 pm
I prefer brownies taken from the middle of the pan, but I'm just the opposite with lasagna. Love me some of that crispy cheese you can only find on the edges. How do you think this pan would work with a delicious lasagna recipe? Laying the noodles in there might be a little tough, but it would be so worth it.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: linnea on October 09, 2007, 12:08:42 am
I prefer brownies taken from the middle of the pan, but I'm just the opposite with lasagna. Love me some of that crispy cheese you can only find on the edges. How do you think this pan would work with a delicious lasagna recipe? Laying the noodles in there might be a little tough, but it would be so worth it.

Damn, total brownie-lasagna concurrence from me.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 09, 2007, 12:13:09 am
http://www.bakersedge.com/anim/flash.html (http://www.bakersedge.com/anim/flash.html) The movie
http://www.bakersedge.com/recipes.html (http://www.bakersedge.com/recipes.html) The recipes on this page make me want to bake basically everything. Poor lazy college students don't get this kind of deliciousity.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: melack on October 09, 2007, 03:25:57 pm
All those recipes appear to be dessert foods. Are you allowed to cook savory casseroles in that thing?
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: smick on October 10, 2007, 12:17:43 am
I'm going to need some help.   The infinite pan got me thinking.   I really like the tops of brownies.   Can any of you help me make a mobius shaped pan? 

Infinite brownies, and they're all top.
Title: Re: Genius
Post by: lprkn on October 10, 2007, 01:51:29 am
Can'd.


Damn that Mobius strip for being so incomprehensible.