The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 07:57:35 pm

Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 07:57:35 pm
By popular request.  I'll be informing Mr. Lileks via e-mail; with any luck he'll drop in on us someday.  

Meanwhile, drop in and see him if you haven't already. (http://www.lileks.com)
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 08:03:19 pm
Well, you guys just downright RAWK!  

Just think of it!  Forums on two of my favorite webplaces both in the same place.  It's a wonderful world we're living in.   If this place gets any better I don't think my heart could take the strain.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 08:10:27 pm
In that vein, does anybody else know of a webspace frequented by Ache-heads that doesn't already have an official forum?  (Lileks, to my knowledge, does not, but if I'm wrong, somebody please let me know.)  Also, Mr. James' site seems to be down this weekend, so if anybody happens to know his most current e-mail address, can you PM it to me so I can let him know about this forum (assuming his new DSL isn't down)?
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2003, 08:16:32 pm
If only we incorporate The Random Game into here I'd never leave.

I know a couple of his old addresses, but he just changed again like a month ago. So I'm not help at all. ::sulks in corner::
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 10:28:57 pm
I guess it would be pointless to ask why there was a Lileks forum on the Achewood message board.

Whatever makes the kiddies happy.  Just as long as they don't complain when I add a few sites to the new forum sub-section, like HotGirlGirlAction.com and The Replican National Convention web site, both of which I'm sure are frequently visited by Achewood fans.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: fuddes on August 03, 2003, 04:54:58 pm
Even if you e-mail James, it'll take him a year to get back to you.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 03, 2003, 06:01:44 pm
Damn.  I just popped over to http://www.lileks.com/index.html to see if it was back up, and I got a "Welcome to your future web site" placeholder.  

Looks like Our Boy moved to a new host.  At least, I hope so.  Otherwise, he's having what we in the business like to call "issues."
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 03, 2003, 06:20:05 pm
Oh my. You don't suppose he was on the old Achewood Board on Dumbrella and saw what happened there and decided to close up shop at the mere mention of a board, do you? Do you? We killed him! Sweet Baby Kittens, we are killers!
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: CortJstr on August 03, 2003, 07:29:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Damn.  I just popped over to http://www.lileks.com/index.html to see if it was back up, and I got a "Welcome to your future web site" placeholder.  

Looks like Our Boy moved to a new host.  At least, I hope so.  Otherwise, he's having what we in the business like to call "issues."


The same thing happened about two months ago. And judging from the Bleat in general he consistently has the worst luck ever with hosts.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: pmcd9 on August 03, 2003, 08:38:09 pm
Quote
By popular request. I'll be informing Mr. Lileks via e-mail; with any luck he'll drop in on us someday


If Mr. Lileks does drop in on us that would be super cool.  If he links to us or mentions us in the Bleat expect for this forum to see a veritable flood of newcomers.  His audience dwarfs little Achewood.  Are you prepared for that Jough?  JL?

~Paul
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: MSC on August 04, 2003, 07:13:41 pm
Lileks did post once or twice on the old board.  I actually heard about Achewood from him.  He seems quite the fan.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 04, 2003, 08:05:53 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

If Mr. Lileks does drop in on us that would be super cool.  If he links to us or mentions us in the Bleat expect for this forum to see a veritable flood of newcomers.  His audience dwarfs little Achewood.  Are you prepared for that Jough?  JL?

~Paul


I can handle it if Jough's webserver can.  I can add more mods to this forum as needed to control the flow.  

However, I wouldn't want the Lileks people to overrun this board.  This really is a board for Achewood readers, so I would have to ask Mr. Lileks specifically *not* to link to us in the context of being a Lileks discussion forum -- but if he linked to us as part of a blurb about Achewood, that might be OK.  Besides, I imagine if he wanted a forum of his own, he would have one.  At any rate, that seems like a bridge which, if crossing is required, can be handled at the point at which we arrive there.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jough on August 04, 2003, 08:32:53 pm
My server can handle it if you can all handle banner ads on it.  Then more traffic would support itself.  Otherwise, that tip jar is lookin' mighty empty.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: pmcd9 on August 05, 2003, 12:18:12 am
Quote
However, I wouldn't want the Lileks people to overrun this board. This really is a board for Achewood readers, so I would have to ask Mr. Lileks specifically *not* to link to us in the context of being a Lileks discussion forum -- but if he linked to us as part of a blurb about Achewood, that might be OK. Besides, I imagine if he wanted a forum of his own, he would have one.


Oh, I thought we were the outlaw board that didn't need (or particularly want) the artist approval or input.  And since we've got an Lileks section underway anyhow, I thought it would be natural if more lileks lovers were to join us.  Jough's not a fan though, so he may not be all that thrilled to host a Lileks forum, which as I stated before, will undoubtably dwarf our tiny Achewood group.

I think what I really want is to be in a place where Lileks may appear and actually respond to one of my post and have the kind of dialouge that we weren't able to establish with Onstad.  But, as we know, it's not good when the curtain comes down and Oz is revealed to be a frail old man.  I have no idea if that analogy makes sense.  Probably not.

~Paul
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: CortJstr on August 05, 2003, 12:52:02 am
It would be cool for him to pop in once or twice, but as has been stated, he doens't even get through his mail, let alone message boards
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jough on August 05, 2003, 12:53:01 am
You know what?  FUCK James Lileks.  Fuck him in the face.

That's all I have to say about that.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: fuddes on August 05, 2003, 07:31:29 pm
Go with banner ads if you have to.  They're not too bad.  I think it's mainly pop-up ads that bug most people.  Luckily, PHPBB boards aren't too huge, so size shouldn't be as much of a problem as bandwidth.  If size does become a problem, though, you can always turn on the "pruning" function.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: chomphaggis on August 06, 2003, 03:02:11 pm
I was surprised to find so many others who like achewood and Lileks-although I found Lilek's site via Tomato Nation, and find his politics inane, reprehensible, apalling...spent a few weeks moping about it, got over it- still like much of the site. He's an acher? I saw him more as a Family Circus kinda guy
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: chomphaggis on August 06, 2003, 03:09:46 pm
Or are we 'woodies? Did Onstad kill anyone before he pulled the switch?
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 06, 2003, 05:10:58 pm
I think the generally accepted term is "Ache-head," although I've also seen 'Woodies in use.  Either way, yes, Lileks dropped by the board a couple of times, and linked to Achewood at least twice.  That's how about 40% of us found it in the first place, myself included.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: CortJstr on August 06, 2003, 05:27:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I think the generally accepted term is "Ache-head," although I've also seen 'Woodies in use.


Yup, Ache-head. We had a vote back on the old-old board. Personally I liked "Onstad's Ever Growing Army of the Undead" but some people thought it wouldn't go over in middle America.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jough on August 06, 2003, 06:08:50 pm
Quote from: "fuddes"
Go with banner ads if you have to.  They're not too bad.  I think it's mainly pop-up ads that bug most people.  Luckily, PHPBB boards aren't too huge, so size shouldn't be as much of a problem as bandwidth.  If size does become a problem, though, you can always turn on the "pruning" function.


Eh.  Hard drive space is cheap.  I could devote 500 mb to the achewood board and not even feel it.

Yes, it's bandwidth that's expensive, but not overly so.  I'm looking into a banner ad provider that:

So if no one objects, that may be the best thing to do to ensure that I can afford to keep the boards up indefinitely.  I'd rather not have to worry about it every month, and impression-driven ads would mean that the busier the board got the more ad serves would show up - so hopefully the ad money would at least keep up with the amount of traffic.  

I have another site that gets about the same amount of traffic as these boards are getting, and I just about break even every month with its costs, so it shouldn't be a problem.

And for those who are interested, we're using about 700mb a day of bandwidth right now, but I'm trying to anticipate the board growing and taking on new members.

Already it's been busier than the old boards, but of course there's that novelty factor too.

Or maybe it's just more fun to post here.  I know I've found that to be the case.

-- Jough
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2003, 11:32:55 pm
What do you anticipate this board actually costing you?  I say keep the ads at bay if you can.  I'm reaching for my credit card now, but I don't really want to line your pocket Jough.  What do you think an appropriate donation would be?

~Paul
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jough on August 07, 2003, 12:13:30 am
As I've said, donations are nice and will help out - but I know many among you, myself included, don't have a lot of extra scratch for things like message boards.

And those that do could probably better spend their money supporting another artist or something.

Is this a vote for no banner then?  I'll put up a poll in the Community section, because I'd rather have this thing sustain itself than have to beg for cash at the end of each month.

With a little 468x60 banner at at the top of each page, the site's traffic would *probably* cover itself - i.e. the more traffic, the more bandwidth, but then the more banner impressions, too.  So it would hopefully at least even out.

It shouldn't really be a problem.
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: jay-ell on August 07, 2003, 12:37:17 am
Jough, I meant it when I said I'd pitch in if you were having trouble making the board pay for itself.  There are enough of us on here that it seems like we ought to be able to all pitch in a buck or so and meet the financial demands.  

Hell, it worked for Sluggy Freelance (http://www.sluggy.com).
Title: News Flash: Lileks forum added
Post by: Jim Treacher on August 07, 2003, 05:33:26 am
Quote from: "MSC"
Lileks did post once or twice on the old board.  I actually heard about Achewood from him.  He seems quite the fan.


Yep! And he found out about it from my "blog." So I guess in a way it's my fault that now people want to copulate with his face or whatever. Sorry, everybody!