The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on October 13, 2007, 07:34:37 pm
-
Nobody's posting. Here's a thread with no topic. Post something so that the sad, empty little people who are sitting here hitting "refresh" over and over can move on with their lives.
I'll start with a joke.
A man walks into a dentist's office and says, "Can you help me? I think I'm a moth." The dentist says, "You don't need a dentist. You need a psychiatrist." The man replies, "Yes, I know." The dentist snaps back, "So why did you come in here?"
The man says, "The light was on."
-
BOO to that.
-
Hey, Halloween's only a couple weeks away. You can't wait?
-
I love how we were all just sorta sitting around, waiting for someone else to post something so that we could reply to it but... not posting anything ourselves. We are totally American around here.
-
Well, maybe if we took over a 3rd party messageboard for holding "weapons of mass retardation." And then all became mods, and kept a tenuous(at best) hold on the flame wars that resulted.
-
lprkn, you are so canned.
-
We all know each other so well now that sometimes we run out of conversation, the messageboard is like that old couple you see in a restaurant contendedly having dinner together in silence.
(I am trying to put a good face on it but.... oh god people POST something already.)
-
I did what I could. If someone doesn't post something, I'm going to find another joke.
And nobody wants that.
-
I could post a bunch of the fucked up dreams I've been having lately.
I don't know if that'd just make things worse, though.
Last night, I had to stop the Trix Rabbit from raping the president's daughter.
It was one of those generic television Presidents and I was a secret service agent and...
Yeah. The Trix Rabbit was a rapist and I was the only one who could stop him.
After I defeated him, he became a normal rabbit and hopped away too quickly to catch him.
Yeah. Yeah, I've been having messed up dreams.
-
Last night I dreamed that I was a teenager trapped in this freaky summer camp where we figured out after about two weeks that we weren't ever going to get home. It was very "big brother" and everything was highly regulated. They even had snipers along the border to shoot at would-be escapees. I somehow managed to get a message out to my Mom and she came on a "visit" with the intention to spring me so we could go the the police and have the rest of the girls released. But when Mom got there they pretended everything was all normal and the rest of the girls were totally brainwashed and didn't want to go home. To make it worse, now they had my mom, and neither of us could leave.
It was scarier than it sounds now.
I have this kind of dream a lot, where I'm trapped in some kind of living hell and have to try and escape. Sometimes I'm an action hero and can roundhouse kick my way out of any situation, but more often I'm just a scared, lost little girl who desperately wants to get home to her mom.
-
My bad dreams are usually that I am sharing a house or apartment with roommates. In most of them, it's so bad that there are several beds to a room. This is often combined with my other kind of bad dream, about trying to take a shower in the morning in a strange place where the facilities are totally bizarre, like the shower is in the bedroom and when you turn it on water gets all over the bed.
Apparently these two things are my idea of living hell but oddly, I'm never trying to escape. I am for some reason passively accepting it all.
-
My bad dreams are usually that I am sharing a house or apartment with roommates. In most of them, it's so bad that there are several beds to a room. This is often combined with my other kind of bad dream, about trying to take a shower in the morning in a strange place where the facilities are totally bizarre, like the shower is in the bedroom and when you turn it on water gets all over the bed.
Apparently these two things are my idea of living hell but oddly, I'm never trying to escape. I am for some reason passively accepting it all.
I have the weird bathroom dreams, too. Usually there is no toilet and I really, really have to pee. But sometimes I get in the shower and there are, like, seventeen knobs and handles and none of them seem to do the right things. The one that turns the water on isn't the same one that turns it off, and I can't control the temperature or remember which ones I've already tried.
-
I am relieved that someone else has weird shower dreams.
What do you think they are about? They always seemed to me like anxiety about trying to get to work on time - actually that's often an explicit part of them, now that I think of it - I can't get the shower to work and I'm going to be late. But the thing is, I still have them now, when I actually never have to get to work on time.
-
Mine often have a sense of urgency about time, as well -- there's someplace I need to be and I can't get there. Usually I'm missing my first day of school for the semester. I guess they're general anxiety dreams? Like the one where you get cast in a play, but when you show up for what you think is the first day of rehearsal it turns out to be opening night, and you don't even have a script.
Pedro's variation on this is always that he knows the show opens that night, but he's memorized the wrong play.
-
So many of my dreams revolve around the idea that I skipped a class in high school or in college and I have to go back, in my late twenties, to finish them up that... it isn't even funny.
-
So many of my dreams revolve around the idea that I skipped a class in high school or in college and I have to go back, in my late twenties, to finish them up that... it isn't even funny.
I have had that one all the way back to grade school. Except apparently everybody else who was in my class has to repeat it too, so we are all late-twentysomethings in the first grade, and they don't even bring in bigger desks.
Not to one-up your dream, or anything, but...weird.
-
Capitalism is so awesome, man it so great. Limited government is the best government, down with socialist programs.
-
I have the dreams where everyone's back, too, but not as far back as elementary school.
Early high school, though.
-
I just found a quote from the director of Women's Bureau/Department of Labor in 1954 stating that "I don't happen to be one of those who believe that women want equality. Equity seems to me, as a worker for legislation which protects and frees women, a much more important point of view."
WTF?
-
Today I'm gonna go to bed early. I went to a bachelorette party last night and it afforded me no sleep. Today I had so much to do that I didn't have time to sit down, let alone lie down for a nap. As soon as I got home, I had to get a shower to start feeling halfway human again, then I started laundry and cleaning. I changed the sheets, flipped the mattress, washed all the blankets plus the sheets, washed about six loads of laundry, vacuumed the entire house with all the attachments to get rid of dog and cat hair, scoured my bathroom, picked up my room and office, scoured the entire kitchen and wiped down every inch of cabinetry with wood furniture polish. I broiled some grelicious halibut for dinner, too. Now I am frikkin' exhausted. However, my SGC is coming over tonight. He will probably be very bored.
Also, i hate having weird dreams. Mine are sometimes happy and blissful, but quite often they are crazed anxiety dreams. I hate having nightmares, because sometimes I scream so loudly in my sleep that I wake myself up. Of course, screaming in a dream means that it usually comes out in a loud terrified bellowing-type noise that comes from my chest, not a full-on scream from the throat. It sucks a lot. I'm usually in a location that is so surreal I can't even describe it. Quite often I'm trapped in someone else's body and I can't get anything to work right, even basic stuff such as trying to figure out how to talk or move my legs in order to run away.
-
I think that's more semantic than anything, Jayelle...
"Women's equality" still had a stigma on it, the vision of lesbians and other sorts of women that didn't want to always cook the meals and clean the clothes and stuff like that ALONG with the jobs they wanted to be able to do and so on.
So to not look like an extremist you'd SAY equity, instead of the tainted word equality.
Like how some cowardly left-wingers call themselves "progressives" instead of nutting up and calling themselves liberals.
Reads like the statement of a government bureaucrat trying to sound like a moderate despite having goals that were radical for the day.
At least to my eyes, anyway.
-
I can't scream in my dreams. I've tried.
When I'm having a nightmare, and I know it's a nightmare, and I want Adrian to nudge me or something to wake me up...I can't do it. Not even a grunt. I have woken up to find my face and pillow soaked with tears, so I can apparently cry in my sleep, but I can't talk or scream.
Pedro talks in his sleep all the time. Sometimes it's creepy, but usually it's pretty amusing. One time he asked me to beam him up. (That was back when we were watching a lot of TNG marathons on Spike TV.)
Back in June I dreamed that my Mom called me on the phone to tell me she wouldn't be coming back from Ohio at the end of the summer because my Dad died, and she decided to just go ahead and go with him. That was really upsetting, partially because it was so incredibly vivid that I didn't really get over it until much later in the day when I could actually talk to my Mom and make sure everything was OK.
LFM: Yes, I know you're right -- I've been researching this woman for several months now, and I know that she was basically trying to get her name in the paper -- but I can't imagine a high-level bureaucrat today getting away with that. The quote was run in the Washington Post without further comment. I can't really see a modern reporter letting that go. Nobody would say that on-record now because it would cause too much bad press and, chances are, the second part of the quote would be dropped to make it sound worse.
Okay, maybe some people *would* say stuff like that today...but it wouldn't be good for their careers. Which is my point. This woman was constantly saying, in public, that women with kids under 14 should stay home instead of seeking full-time employment -- this coming from the Department of LABOR! Meanwhile, her predecessor had been saying since '44 that more day-care programs should be opened up so that working moms can provide for their kids. The reversal just...astonishes me.
-
I can't scream in my dreams. I've tried.
When I'm having a nightmare, and I know it's a nightmare, and I want Adrian to nudge me or something to wake me up...I can't do it. Not even a grunt. I have woken up to find my face and pillow soaked with tears, so I can apparently cry in my sleep, but I can't talk or scream.
Pedro talks in his sleep all the time. Sometimes it's creepy, but usually it's pretty amusing. One time he asked me to beam him up. (That was back when we were watching a lot of TNG marathons on Spike TV.)
Back in June I dreamed that my Mom called me on the phone to tell me she wouldn't be coming back from Ohio at the end of the summer because my Dad died, and she decided to just go ahead and go with him. That was really upsetting, partially because it was so incredibly vivid that I didn't really get over it until much later in the day when I could actually talk to my Mom and make sure everything was OK.
LFM: Yes, I know you're right -- I've been researching this woman for several months now, and I know that she was basically trying to get her name in the paper -- but I can't imagine a high-level bureaucrat today getting away with that. The quote was run in the Washington Post without further comment. I can't really see a modern reporter letting that go. Nobody would say that on-record now because it would cause too much bad press and, chances are, the second part of the quote would be dropped to make it sound worse.
Okay, maybe some people *would* say stuff like that today...but it wouldn't be good for their careers. Which is my point. This woman was constantly saying, in public, that women with kids under 14 should stay home instead of seeking full-time employment -- this coming from the Department of LABOR! Meanwhile, her predecessor had been saying since '44 that more day-care programs should be opened up so that working moms can provide for their kids. The reversal just...astonishes me.
I would much, much rather be woken up during a night terror. It's jarring and really scary when I wake myself up in such a manner, but it's also good becaues it gets me out of the Scary Mental Place and back into reality. Of course, then I usually have the full-body heebie-jeebies and think that someone is trying to break into the house... but I digress. I knew a girl who had night terrors, and her family was ADAMANT that you cannot wake someone up while they're having a night terror. They said that it's better to just let her work through the dream emotionally and try to reach some sort of resolution. I can see their point, but when the dreams are that frikkin' bad I prefer to be woken up. Also, I cry in my sleep sometimes as well. I do vocalize a lot in my sleep, but most of the time when I talk in my sleep it's gibberish. I have also been told that I open my eyes sometimes during REM sleep and my eyes dart around the room but I'm still sound asleep.
-
My girlfriend tells me that I scream in my sleep to the point that it wakes her up two nights a week... and she's a very deep sleeper.
I rarely wake myself up with my screams but a couple of weeks ago I did, screaming "NNNOOOOO!" and she proceeded to hit me with pillows and berate me that the cops will probably come, I screamed so loud.
Like, as if it would wake up the entire apartment building.
I'm pretty sure that was the nightmare where I was on the run from the Borg Collective, trying to assimilate me and I almost got away when it turned out that they'd gotten my dad and he was about to get me.
It's funny...
I have dreams multiple times a week where I am chased down with a shotgun and murdered, I have multiple dreams a month where I go down a closed-off waterslide and drown at the bottom... but I never wake MYSELF up screaming about those.
But science fiction *****s taking my soul, that's what makes me scream so loud I wake myself up.
-
Pedro has night terrors too. I always wake him up. It's hard not to, actually, because he thinks he's already awake. His eyes are open, his speech is clear, he seems lucid. He often gets up and turns on the lights himself. His are almost always about some sort of vermin -- spiders, rats, centipedes -- in our bedroom. Sometimes it's one, sometimes it's hundreds. He pulled my out of bed by me feet one night because he thought the sheets were crawling with fire ants. He can still see them after he turns the lights on, and I have to go stand in the place where he sees something and try to touch this invisible threat to prove that it's not there. It's a full-blown hallucination -- audio, visual, and tactile. And no, he's never experimented with any kind of recreational drug.
These are distinct from nightmares, which I have more frequently than he does. They always occur during the first hour of sleep -- that's non-REM sleep, by the way -- and his parents tell me he's had them since he was about two or three. Even after getting up, turning on the lights, being convinced that he was only dreaming, etc. -- a process that can take upwards of thirty minutes -- he usually doesn't remember the event in the morning. Sometimes he'll have the vague impression that something happened, but only after I've mentioned it to him. I usually don't even tell him any more unless he has more than three in a week. At that point, I know something is stressing him out that needs to be addressed.
LFM, don't feel bad. As a kid (6 - 10), I had a recurrent nightmare about being chased down and eaten alive by very small dinosaurs in our kitchen. It took me about four years of having the same dream before I figured out: don't hide under the table. The wooly mammoth will totally pull you out with his trunk.
-
I have had the "going back to an old school to finish up something" dream more times than I can count, often combined with the "forgetting I had class and skipping it repeatedly over the course of the semester" dream. These are about the only anxiety dreams I have; the exception are "teeth get broken/fall out" dreams, which I have more than I'm comfortable with.
It's weird in some ways to realize how common these sorts of dreams are. Almost makes me believe in a collective unconscious.
-
Does anybody else have dreams about contact lenses that get bigger and bigger the more you try to put them in, until they're the size of pancakes and utterly useless?
I find this incredibly frustrating, because I can never find my glasses in these dreams and without some kind of corrective lenses I am blind as a bat.
-
I stopped having the "teeth all falling out at once" dreams.
They have been replaced by dreams where I'm on the sand at Manhattan Beach, watching the waves which are averaging seven to eight feet. I realize that the one I'm watching is growing exponentially taller, until it is the height of an office building. I realize I'm standing in front of a tsunami. I realize I'm about to die. I wonder if it's going to hurt.
And that's always when I wake up.
-
It took me about four years of having the same dream before I figured out: don't hide under the table. The wooly mammoth will totally pull you out with his trunk.
Education.
Does anybody else have dreams about contact lenses that get bigger and bigger the more you try to put them in, until they're the size of pancakes and utterly useless?
Yes, and I'm positive we've talked about this before. The board is getting more and more like that old married couple all the time...
-
I don't ever have bad dreams. Unfortunately, I am broken in my own way. There is something wrong with me to the point that I never can go to sleep until like 6 in the morning, then I either sleep for like 10 or 4 hours, but never in between. Even if I don't sleep at all (about once a week), I cannot go to bed until like 4 or 5 am the next day.
-
hmm.
I had a dream last night where this guy was trying to kill me. He kept changing into different people...
the only part I remember was at one point he looked like my old chemistry teacher, and I stabbed him in the hand with a blunt butter knife. And then... I was slowly cutting through his hand with the blunt knife... it was stabbed all the way through... and he was just looking at me, waiting for me to stop.
and then he stuck a fistful of really long pins into by asscheek. Then I woke up.
Um, I feel like, especially in the 40's, saying that women need Equity rather than Equality was pretty radical? I mean... equity is pretty awesome.
-
the only part I remember was at one point he looked like my old chemistry teacher, and I stabbed him in the hand with a blunt butter knife. And then... I was slowly cutting through his hand with the blunt knife... it was stabbed all the way through... and he was just looking at me, waiting for me to stop.
I had a dream similar to this once. In it, I was traveling with my classmates (who were all girls, for some reason) on a field trip to a skyscraper made entirely of glass, and somehow we were captured by a serial killer. He offered us all Tic-Tacs before we died, and I asked if I could finish my gum first; when he said no, I began fighting back, punching and kicking him. He reacted like a practice dummy -- heavy, solid, and unresponsive.
It was at that point in the dream that I ran, and he chased me... but I couldn't hide from him, because the glass skyscraper was entirely transparent. Somehow, though, I got out and away, and I woke up with a feeling of exhilaration and relief.
To make a long story short, I find that sort of flattened-affect dream really interesting: where alarming or embarrassing things happen, but everyone reacts very dully to them (not fighting back if attacked, not being afraid of death, not caring if someone's naked in public). Does this happen to others?
-
I only have two dreams I remember, both before puberty. One was me hiding from some high tech police unit, but I was hiding just by standing on my bed while they were looking in my closet and under the bed. The other is my family dying and me waking up thinking they were dead. Now adays I have dreams that I know about but could not give you any information over. I think most of them involve my alarm or the person waking me up, so I don't know if those count.
Not remembering dreams sounds better than night terrors though. But as I said, I got my own sleeping problems.
-
After I saw Terminator 2 when I was like 8 or something, I had a few dreams where I went on adventures with the Terminator, nothing scary, just fun. I can only remember having one bad dream when I was 4. I used to wake up with vertigo all the time though, but that hasn't happened since I was 14 or something. So my mutant power is to not wake up with vertigo.
-
My bad dreams usually involve me going back to a school building when I'm not supposed to be there (like breaking into my old elementary school), and being chased by people.
One recurring theme of mine (in bad dreams, good dreams, and neutral dreams), is my ability to jump into the air and kinda float, as if the planet had the moon's gravity. If I do this on a hill, however, I always land badly and start rolling down it.
-
Well, maybe getting those old-school bad dreams off my chest freed me up to have a new one... in which I got up to take the pugs out to pee so they'd let me sleep, and my backyard was full of about 30 adults and kids and there were hard-boiled eggs all over the ground. Some were dyed for Easter and some were peeled and some were broken up, and it became apparent that this was all part of a party that was happening in the adjacent yard and people were throwing eggs back and forth across the fence. I was furious, especially because the pugs were now trying to eat all the eggs. I found the person in charge and yelled at her in great detail - I remember one thing I said, which was what if my pugs were allergic to eggs, I wouldn't be able to use the yard again for months - but she was completely unmoved. I think she finally agreed to get out of the yard when I said I'd call the police but she was still infuriatingly calm about the whole thing.
I have NO idea what the heck that was about. I've also never heard of a dog with egg allergy now that I think of it.
-
at first... I thought you were going to say that your dogs were peeing all over the kid's eggs.
-
Education.
Yes, and I'm positive we've talked about this before. The board is getting more and more like that old married couple all the time...
There's a reference to the contact lens dream (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2100.msg43643.html#msg43643) from August 2005.
-
After I saw Terminator 2 when I was like 8 or something, I had a few dreams where I went on adventures with the Terminator, nothing scary, just fun.
Best subverted nightmare ever.
-
There's a reference to the contact lens dream (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2100.msg43643.html#msg43643) from August 2005.
Oh! Hi there, me from two years ago! You haven't changed a bit!
-
I had a dream recently that I snuck into my old school's primary library building and had freaky relations with my lady. Then for some reason There were a bunch of kids camping out there too (it's school holidays here at the moment so it was perfectly logical that no one was around) then I went to use the bathroom, I noticed that the urinals were kind of high and weird shaped and an inspector with a clipboard came in and got pissed at me for peeing in the sink.
-
I had a completely horrible dream last night. I was holding my youngest daughter as we were getting ready for bed, and I went "Hmm, she's got a little bit of a rash on her face, there." Then she started turning mottled red all over at high speed and started crying, and I was all like "Holy shit, call 911!" That's when I woke up.
-
I had this weird dream where a lady I know wanted to have some Relations with me. In... the middle of a crowded street. And she was like "goddamnit, what's your problem! I know you want this! Why are you being so lame! You aren't getting another chance." and such as my high school latin teacher were walking by. She was also being very explicit about certain things she wanted me to do in this situation that... were just kind of weird. Not kinky-weird, just Dream weird.
-
No no, Dream Weird would be if in the middle of fuckin' she screamed your name out, backwards, and then disappeared to the fourth dimension for 90 days. That is the kinda thing that'd happen in my dreams.
All standin' there in the middle of the road, naked with blue balls, realizing you just fucked Mr. Mixedpickles' sister and didn't even get to come.
-
I'm finishing a novel where the 2 protagonists (the what you would call "romantic couple") meet in dreams when they're kids but they don't know they're also real, they just think that each other is a dream. Then they grow up and their dreamworlds drift apart. But they meet again in real life years later, only the girl is now married and has a daughter. They both die in a car crash sometime later when trying to elope.
-
C'mon, it's poetic and shit, people.
-
Wow, so it's a comedy then?
-
Well, I think that the scene with the hand decapitated in a lumber factory is hilarious...
-
Well, I think that the scene with the hand decapitated in a lumber factory is hilarious...
That is one freaky-ass hand.
I do love stories with a happy ending though.
Imagine really meeting people in a dream though and then meeting them in real life, it would be all such as "Huh, it's weird to see you without that shirt made out of fingerpaintings that hung on the wall of my grandmother's old house."
-
That is one freaky-ass hand.
*sigh*, yes, I meant "severed". Just sometimes I should check a coupla language sites before hitting "post". As for the dreams, the book is full of descriptions of lucid dreams experiences (I hope they're not boring, I tried to make them exciting in a Calvin-esque way). Anyone here has had one of them?
-
(because they're *amazing*)
-
Does anyone have Nabu's phone number? Can you call him and tell him I miss him in a non-homosexual way?
-
As for the dreams, the book is full of descriptions of lucid dreams experiences (I hope they're not boring, I tried to make them exciting in a Calvin-esque way). Anyone here has had one of them?
I had one once, but I only became lucid when I realized the dream was turning into a nightmare, so all I did was will myself awake. I've also had a false awakening from a non-lucid dream before, which was pretty cool.
On a somewhat related note, the scariest dream I ever had as a kid involved lying in bed talking to my dad, who was sitting on the foot of the bed. I had no idea I was in a dream until I woke up very suddenly, lying in the exact same position and with everything the same as in the dream, except that my dad wasn't there and everything was dark. You can imagine how much I freaked out.
Also strange was the time I dreamt that the government had built a Death Star in orbit around the sun, and then decided to fire the superlaser because of something that had happened in Iraq. I spent the entire dream trying to find my way out of a parking garage while I counted down the seconds until the world would end. I woke up thinking, "Whew! It was only a dream! They'd never actually use the Death Star." It was literally hours before I remembered that the Death Star didn't even exist.
-
I had one once, but I only became lucid when I realized the dream was turning into a nightmare, so all I did was will myself awake. I've also had a false awakening from a non-lucid dream before, which was pretty cool.
I once had a semi-lucid dream that was basically nothing but a series of false awakenings: I would wake up, say "huh, that was freaky," and go about my business, only to find that things around me were still strange. This repeated four or five times before I finally woke up, and even reality didn't seem right for about fifteen minutes afterwards.
-
I once had a semi-lucid dream that was basically nothing but a series of false awakenings: I would wake up, say "huh, that was freaky," and go about my business, only to find that things around me were still strange.
There was a Calvin and Hobbes strip that pretty much outlined a similar experience I had one morning (high school). I woke up, did all the usual stuff - went to school, sat through classes, went to practice and worked like hell, sat down to do some homework and just could not figure out this math problem. I stared at it, puzzled over it, thought I was getting it...and my alarm went off, waking me for the day I had just finished dreaming. That was so goddamn frustrating.
If my mom was reading this, she's say that she knew it was a dream when I started talking about sitting down to do my homework. My mom has a smart mouth that way.